[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does it seem like people are pushing Gnome 3 so hard? It

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: 144928391233.jpg (58KB, 519x324px) Image search: [Google]
144928391233.jpg
58KB, 519x324px
Why does it seem like people are pushing Gnome 3 so hard?

It seems like almost every video or picture I see of someone somewhat prolific using Linux, it's always with Gnome 3?
>>
>everyone using something means they must be pushing it
Kill yourself you retarded weeb.
>>
>>51391068
b-but why else would someone use it if it's so polarizing?
>>
>>51391152
Polarizing? Because Torvalds autism makes him hate it? Shut the fuck up, people use what they find to be functional. Delete your thread, this is a non-issue.
>>
>>51391174
b-but he uses it
>>
As a normal idiotic user who knows nothing about using the terminal or anything else:
Please explain to me why the default installed gnome3 on a distro that I can happily click through the installer like a retard and then works out of the box is bad.
I mean, what is wrong with using gnome3?

(Anyways I know how to use the terminal, kek)
>>
Most linuxfags classify as either:

1. People who don't know any Linux and just want "free windows"
2. web-dev hipster retards who jack off to javascript HTML and CSS

GNOME 3 appeals to both of these people
>>
It's pushing a new paradigm on the desktop and one of the best DEs available.
>>
>>51392340
Oh I should add that that's for desktop users.

"Most linuxfags" are sysadmins who wouldn't touch X11 with a ten foot pole
>>
>>51392340
I just use GNOME 3 because the interface looks nice (and I have a high res monitor).
>>
>>51391042
That's a cute boy.
>>
>>51391042
Gnome 3 is disgusting

I mean their logo is a foot

Who wants a nasty foot icon on their computer

I prefer xfce because they have a cute little mouse
>>
>>51391042
but it's so comfy, anon
>>
>>51393087
Foot fetishists, for sure... or someone who doesn't give a fuck because they hardly ever see the logo.
>>
>>51393104
You know why Gnome uses a foot for their logo

BECAUSE THEY STINK

hahahahahaha
>>
For the average user who just wants music running, a few terminals and a web browser, its completely fine and gets out of your way.
It's too limiting for the average /g/ ricer though.
Can we put this shit to rest already? GNOME has been absolutely fine to use since 3.16.
If you don't like it just use something else, it's not like it's forced on you.
>>
>>51393095
>>51393058
>deleting and reposting your image because your Arch Linux screenfetch didn't show up in the first shot

wow, just wow
>>
File: kykZrBb.png (838KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
kykZrBb.png
838KB, 1440x900px
Because this is the competition. GNOME is ugly, but KDE is so bad that it makes GNOME look good.

It can't do anything right, and its main selling point is being "full-featured"
>>
>>51393087
this desu
>>
>>51393087
The Gnome logo is great and Gnome3 has the most polished experience of all desktop environments.

I used to have a Linux workstation at work cause the company did Unix development. Me and everyone else used Fedora with Gnome3 exclusively, despite not having any requirements regarding the OS, its overall the best choice if you cant spend the time "customizing" and have any taste left.
>>
>>51393373
This tbqh.
>>
>>51393230
w-will you be my gf?
>>
>>51393230
These are the /g/ users who use Linux

LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME
>>
>>51393585
Are you kidding me?

XFCE and KDE look great out of the box, no customization needed either. I understand if you prefer Gnome, but it isn't the only DE that just werks out of the box
>>
>>51393585
This. Gnome 3 is not perfect, but it's not the clusterfuck most other desktops are either. Simple important things like setting up multiple monitors or color profiles have just worked for ages and it doesn't get in the way once you start using it.

I tried to use Xfce and KDE at work once and it just sucked. Neither could remember the multi-monitor layout consistently (did it depend on the order the monitors were detected or something?) and one of them couldn't even restore the layout after I got back from a break and woke up the monitors that had gone to sleep. I'm not really sure what they did so wrong since xrandr could detect and configure them just fine.

They've probably improved since then, but my first choice is still Gnome 3.
>>
>>51393842
>XFCE and KDE look great out of the box
Not really. KDE looks tasteless and has weird spacing everywhere and XFCE is unpolished.

The only DE that looks remotely as good as Gnome3 would be Unity.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.