[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home Networking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: computer-networking.jpg (149KB, 1100x734px) Image search: [Google]
computer-networking.jpg
149KB, 1100x734px
I'm wanting to wire my house with ethernet. I've tried looking for a guide that will help me pick out the hardware but I'm not having much luck. Is there a guide that will help me figure out what features I'll need and want from a switch and firewall?

Also post about your network setup or project. Bonus points for network diagrams.
>>
>>51384163
whonthe fuck wants bonus points
>>
Ask yourself these questions:

-number of hosts
-types of hosts (possible servers, what kind of services)
-do you plan to route inside your LAN
-medium types (ether, fiber, wi-fi)

If you can specify your needs then it's easier to choose what you need.
>>
File: netmap_august2014.jpg (3MB, 3472x5000px) Image search: [Google]
netmap_august2014.jpg
3MB, 3472x5000px
>>51386098
Me!

actually I need to redo this, things are a fair bit different now.
>>
>>51386111
>-number of hosts
Well I was planning on having 4 ports in the living room and each of the 3 bedrooms to allow for a reasonable amount of flexibility with PCs, game consoles and settop boxes.
>types of hosts (possible servers, what kind of services)
There will be one server that will mostly be hosting media files for streaming but also a LAMP stack to experiment with and VLAN in case I ever need it for something which seems probable.
>-do you plan to route inside your LAN
This is actually a bit that's confusing me a little. I understand the difference between what a switch does (forwarding frames) and what a router does (routing packets), but I don't understand what that means for performance of various types of traffic.
>-medium types (ether, fiber, wi-fi)
Like I said, I want to wire the living room and bedrooms with ethernet. I also want one or two wireless access points.
So I'm looking for a switch with at least 19 ports.
>>
>>51386127
Kill yourself.
>>
>>51386402
Why not going wifi?
>>
>>51386127
>someone spent considerable amount of time creating this autistic image of their home network
>>
>>51387909
>*.gensokyo.com
>home network
yeah how about you actually work your brain a bit?
>>
>>51386402

If you want VLAN and need at least 19 ports then:
CLI option Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960G-24TC-L used for 220$-250$
GUI option Cisco Small Business SF200-24P for used 110$-130$

to have interconnectivity between VLANs you need either a router or a 3 layer switch:
Cisco 2811 router for 100$-120$ used
or
Cisco 3560 24p switch for 200$-250$ used but it can function as a normal switch too.
>>
File: 1445871046266.jpg (980KB, 1623x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1445871046266.jpg
980KB, 1623x2000px
>>51387948
how about you stop being a newfag?

That IS his home network
>>
>>51386013
greetings fellow anon
having recently built my house i went through the "how the fuck do i network it" phase a mere 3 months ago

in addition to previous' anon's questions you will also need to ask yourself:
- speed requirements
- number of ISPs
- future expand-ability, just in case you want to bring home automation or surveillance into the mix

also, make sure you need enterprise level shit because buying used is not always the best idea
>>
/r/homelab
>>
>>51386013

What do you need? Normally for most home set-ups an off the shelf router is 'good enough' - even for homelabs they're good enough.
>>
>>51386127

You should print that out and present it to your psychologist on your next visit.
>>
>>51386402

It doesn't seem like you know what you're doing. For your living room you can buy a cheap unmanaged 8 port gigabit switch off Amazon.

As far as VLANs it doesn't seem like it'd be worth the time/money invested for your home environment - a flat network should suffice. Also, 19 ports might be overkill - you can accomplish the same with mix of wi-fi and offbrand unmanaged switches where required.
>>
>>51386127
i hopefully one day a girl will kiss you.
>>
>>51387992

Wow, that just ... sad.
>>
>>51390173
Holy shit what do you people think this board is about? Battlestation threads and Linux?
>>
>>51387992
Cool setup, how much does it cost to run that thing yearly. I've been wanting to acquire a storage server, but don't know much about them. What are my options for building a 6-12T mirrored raid setup. Should i buy an old server from ebay?

Can someone give me some info and recommendations please?
>>
>>51386013
Get a cisco 2960. Should be more then enough. I'd recommend keeping the server and switch somewhat isolated from other systems, and I mean physically, to avoid guests poking it to see what happens.
>>
>>51390935
yes
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.