[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

explain to me how wind power is safe again

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 16

File: 1445235455102.jpg (51KB, 668x498px) Image search: [Google]
1445235455102.jpg
51KB, 668x498px
explain to me how wind power is safe again
>>
>>51367254
nice shoop
>>
>>51367328
Is not
>>
>>51367254
Nothing is 100% safe. Just safer. I imagine far fewer people die working on windmills than die in coal mines or on oil rigs.

>>51367361
It's real. Turbine in Holland caught fire while maintenance was being performed. The two men on top died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hJeaPzDnOE
>>
Windmills don't cause cancer to everyone that lives around them. I happen to like how they look, too, so I hope they end up being the prevalent renewable energy source in the future.
>>
File: energydeaths.jpg (40KB, 643x397px) Image search: [Google]
energydeaths.jpg
40KB, 643x397px
here you go
>>
>>51367254
electricity is inherently dangerous
maybe you should just live in a damp hole in the ground with no light or heating
>>
>>51367634
>Windmills don't cause cancer to everyone that lives around them.
Wind turbines are cancer.
>>
>>51367254
I would rather work on turbines than oil rigs.
>>
>>51367723
Well shit, you got me
>>
a big wind turbine catching fire has the potential to cause maybe 1 death in total if it falls on someone in the wrong place at the wrong time.

A coal mine catching fire has the potential to kill hundreds of people, not to mention the whole cancer problem with coal mining.
>>
>>51367634
>I happen to like how they look, too,

yeah and how would you feel living next to one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbIe0iUtelQ
>>
>>51367254
They kill birds that would otherwise spread dangerous diseases.
>>
>>51367752
NIMBY fags need to go kill themselves.
>>
>>51367752
Why would you live in the middle of a wind farm?
Lol Americans are retarded.
>>
>>51367768
This senpai desu
>>
>>51367429
I always assumed you had to be dropped off by helecopter to repair one of these things, how did they get up there in the first place?
>>
>>51367803
A small elevator inside the tower. They're pretty damn big once you get right up next to one.
>>
>>51367803
There is an elevator inside.

It's really quite cool.
Watch some Youtube videos about wind turbine maintenance.
>>
>>51367803
There's a ladder in the mast.
>>51367791
>Buy house
>gotta build wind durbines begause nuglear will gill everybody :DDDDDDDXDDDDDDD
>Town shits them everywhere
>>
File: caillou.png (407KB, 1050x1150px) Image search: [Google]
caillou.png
407KB, 1050x1150px
>>51367791
>thinks that people buy or build their houses in wind farms after wind farm construction
>mfw
>>
File: nuclear-power-plant-9igh.jpg (94KB, 1200x793px) Image search: [Google]
nuclear-power-plant-9igh.jpg
94KB, 1200x793px
>>51367254
It isn't even that dangerous.

That still doesn't justify the retarded choice of picking it up over based nuclear. If there's one thing that France did right is how they get their energy.
>>
>>51367665
>damp
Oh no, the big bad electricity will get you.
>>
>>51367791
I don't think you understand how this works.
The farm was there first. The farmers let wind turbines be built on their land, and get payed for it. They were simply dumb enough to let one be built in shadow range of their house.

>>51367834
I know they're huge I was driving through west Texas with my dad when I was about 15 and this wind turbine stuff started. 6 trucks drove by with the main shaft the 4 cross beams and some other stuff. Each one looked lie they were about half a football field in length and the main shaft was close to a full length field. I just never actually looked into them before now.
>>
Guys, the local nuke plant shut down, and the rivers are already dammed.
I live near a couple empty fields, am I fucked?
>>
>>51367848
This. You climb a very long ladder.
>>
>>51367429
Is that controlling for per capita energy production?

Like, if you scaled windpowers numbers up to the amount of energy coal currently produces, would it have more or less deaths than coal?
>>
>>51367889
>They were simply dumb enough to let one be built in shadow range of their house.

its not like they get to choose where they go dude, they aren't allowed to negotiate that stuff
>>
>>51367889
Easy solution: build a solar panel in between the windmill shadow and the house (but obviously facing another direction). Let it catch the shadow.
>>
>>51367916
I think this was the only time a turbine burned with people on top.

My guess is people die quite regularly during construction though.
>>
>>51367920
Shit like that would never happen in Europe though.

It's just a political choice: company interests vs. civilian interests.
>>
Funny that hippies always shit themselves when somebody wants to put up a cell tower or radio mast because somehow it's going to cause cancer and shoot birds out of the sky, but then push for wind everywhere.
>>
>>51367916
>if you scaled windpowers numbers up to the amount of energy coal currently produces, would it have more or less deaths than coal?
Vastly less. Between mining deaths and air pollution, coal power is outrageously lethal.

>>51368016
"People who care about the environment" aren't nearly a homogeneous group with identical opinions. I don't know why you would expect otherwise.
>>
>>51368039
The people I have in mind are the chronic whiners in local publications who decry one and push the other.
I also heard that in cold places, there were problems with wind turbines flinging ice.
>>
>>51367920
That's surprising, I've never actually seen one within actual range of a farm house in Texas. Though I imagine different states have different standards for these things. Plus we're weird in General since for the most part energy here is unsocialized. The only thing still owned purely by the gov are the pure nuclear plants, the overall ERCOT grid, and the few places that are part of the greater national grid.
>>
Thorium reactors could literally save the entire fucking world.
>>
>>51367752
But that looks cool
>>
>>51368074
You can put one right next to your house just fine.

You'll only get shadows if it's to the south of you (assuming northern hemisphere).

I think noise is also lower directly under one than a little downwind.
>>
File: energy prices in America.png (130KB, 1285x836px) Image search: [Google]
energy prices in America.png
130KB, 1285x836px
>>51367876
Hydro power is much better. Hydro electric dams are pretty much giant batteries where you can simply open the gates when in need of power and close them when there's a surplus or the demand is down. You can't shut down gas or nuclear power plants which is a recurring problem in Texas where they end up overloading the grid and actually paying neighboring states to take the excess energy off their hands.

Us northern states buy most if not all of our electricity from Quebec which ends up being an extra source of income for them.
>>
>>51367876
Shouldn't you be designing reactors instead of shitposting on a vietnamese painting website m9?
>>
>>51368114
Thorium reactors are just shittier uranium reactors.
>>
>>51368140
Hydropower is itself pollution (much like wind turbines, except on a much larger scale), it's tapped out, and it's optimal role is storage and regulation of energy demand rather than supplying the baseload.
>>
>>51368140
Why can't you shut down power output in gas/nuclear plants?

Almost all of them operate on a steam turbine system. That seems like a fairly easy mechanical problem to solve.
>>
>>51368159
>molten salt 20 years away
>fusion 20 years away
>cold fusion never
We're forever 20 years away.

ITER hurry the fuck up.
>>
>>51368064
>The people I have in mind are the chronic whiners in local publications who decry one and push the other.
The cell towers are nearer to them than the turbines. There people out there who complain about everything. Ignore them.

>I also heard that in cold places, there were problems with wind turbines flinging ice.
That shouldn't be a major issue, because IIRC wind turbines have to be located so they can lose a blade without doing too much damage. Still, blade ice would be something they'd have to design around.

>>51368114
Not really. They share most of the issues with traditional reactor designs, but with the added difficulty of being untried technology. Most of the reason they look so great is because we haven't seen them up close yet. Plus there's still a lot of countries without any nuclear skills or capacity at all.

>>51368124
>You can put one right next to your house just fine.
Assuming you're talking about the grid-sized ones, not really. Even without safety concerns, the blades make a LOT of noise.

>>51368140
>Hydro power is much better.
It's almost impossible to find sites, but they are great if you have them.

>You can't shut down gas
Huh? I thought gas turbine plants were the traditional choice for peaking, because you could spin them up from idle in only a few minutes.

>in Texas they end up actually paying neighboring states to take the excess energy off their hands.
They can't sell it?

>>51368194
And if you cut off the steam generators in a nuclear plant, then what? It still takes hours to cool down the core, and all that power has to go SOMEWHERE.
>>
>>51368194
>Why can't you shut down power output in gas/nuclear plants?
he must be referring to some practical limitation instead of a technical one. Maybe it costs more to slow it down then spool it back up than it does to just give away some power, I dunno.
>>
>>51368207
>And if you cut off the steam generators in a nuclear plant, then what? It still takes hours to cool down the core, and all that power has to go SOMEWHERE.
retard alert
>>
>>51368220
What am I missing?
>>
>>51368140
Not everywhere has a river, and building a dam fucks up the local ecosystem where it's constructed.

Nuclear is pretty much the only option that has a huge amount of energy density with a relatively small amount of fuel. The only real issues with it are the shitty 1960's era plants that the US constructed (modern plant designs are far, far safer and cannot undergo meltdown,) and disposal of the waste. Burying it deep underground is probably the best way to get rid of it.
>>
>>51368159
This guy made a home nuke reactor at age 14 and basically you neet amateur nuclear engineers are fucking stupid.
>>
>>51368207
You can still have the steam turning a crank. Just uncouple that crank from the turbine itself. Sure, you're wasting energy (not electricity, energy that would be converted to electricity), but that seems like a better outcome than actually paying people to take electricity off of your hands.

I really don't get what you're saying, and it sounds like you're making shit up.
>>
>>51368207
>They can't sell it?

They sell it for a negative amount because if they don't get rid of it quickly they'll cause serious damage to the infrastructure.

http://cleantechnica.com/2015/10/01/texas-electricity-prices-going-negative/
>>
C O - G E N
O
|
G
E
N

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogeneration
>>
>>51368194
Nuclear plants, particularly their cores where the actual reactions take place, do not throttle very fast. They have to contend with other factors such as Xenon poisoning in the core, the fact the core requires constant cooling which in turn requires SOME form of active power generation to maintain.

The Xenon poisoning is the big one though. If the amount of Xenon-135 in the core goes too high, they cannot start the reactor, as Xenon-135 is a very very potent neutron poison. So, throttle the core too much, core gets poisoned and goes into shutdown, you end up having to spend a shitton of money to keep the reactor cool while the Xenon decays over the course of about 36 hours.

Wikipedia article on the Xenon/Iodine pit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine_pit
>>
>>51368265
Z E R O P O I N T
E
R
O

P
O
I
N
T
>>
>>51368256
These spikes in input happen because of renewables, not nuclear or coal.
Gas is used when there is a shortage.
>>
>>51368205
SPOILER ALERT:

new plants are constantly built for the sake of advancing technology.

SPOILER: 40-50 stations still run just as well as a 40-50 year old car with proper engineering.

SPOILER: This is planned obsolescence like the fact normies all buy hdtvs and iphones.
>>
>>51367254
Oh shit, we need to evacuate an entire city, leukaemia is on the rise and where the fuck do we store the leaked wind now?
>>
>>51368282
I'm not talking about shutting down the reactor.

I'm saying if it gets to the point that you have to choose between overloading the grid or selling your electricity at a negative rate, why not just shut down the turbine?

Heck, just shut the water into a cooling tower, and then refill the pipe when you're safe again.
>>
>>51368235
>The only real issues with it are the shitty 1960's era plants that the US constructed

IMPLYING there is anything wrong with driving a 69 corvette and using Boiling water reactors.

Just engineer that shit to be more efficent by taking out the engine/turbine/reactor when needed.

>PLEASE GIB MONEY FOR NEW PLANTS
>>
>>51368265
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogeneration
Okay, and?

>>51368249
>>51368310
>You can still have the steam turning a crank. Just uncouple that crank from the turbine itself.
You don't need the turbine for that, you can just make lots of hot water / steam.

>Sure, you're wasting energy (not electricity, energy that would be converted to electricity), but that seems like a better outcome than actually paying people to take electricity off of your hands.
Right, which is why the story is bizarre.

>>51368256
>Now here’s the kicker: various subsidies — including US federal production tax credits and state renewable energy certificates — compensate wind power producers for generating clean energy to such an extent that it allows wind farms to continue to make money even when selling at negative prices. The Federal tax credits, for instance, provide 2.3 cents per kWh, or $23 per MWh.
I'm not seeing anything about nuclear plants in there.
That's just people cheating the market to get more subsidies.
>>
>>51368256
>why is this bad?
>>
>>51367752
This last like what, an hour max?
>>
>>51367876
I'd rather live near that. At least I KNOW I might die rather than have a fucking windmill fall on my house.
>>
>>51367750
Not only can it kill hundreds, but the whole vein can catch and burn for years, emitting toxic fumes and making the area inhospitable. There is one such town in Pennsylvania.
>>
>>51368342
I do work the Nuclear plants in the US and it isn't that easy to just replace that shit anon
>>
>>51368114
wrong. go back to reddit
>>
>>51368310
Still requires throttling back the core (to reduce the amount of energy leaving the core.), which in turn brings the Xenon pit into play. The fastest they can actually throttle the core is over a 30hr period or so to keep the Xenon burned off at an acceptable rate. On top of that most power plant reactors arent meant for constant power fluctuations. These two factors mean that a nuclear power plant is best used for baseline power, with renewables and fossil fuel plants to follow the demand. The only nuke plants I know of that can actually throttle that fast are the nuclear power plants installed on oceangoing vessels, specifically warships.

This is one of the reasons why we need really good energy storage options. Flywheels have the flaw that if they store too much energy they explode, and the good ones require cryogenic cooling for the supermagnets.
Batteries are subject to chemical wear and tear.
Water pump storage is only viable in a few areas.
Molten salt requires the storage medium to be constantly heated above the melting point else it all solidifies.
>>
>>51367254
it's simple

>with great power comes great responsibility
>windmills don't generate too much power
so - little power, little responsibility
>>
>>51368205
We already have molten salt reactors and have achieved fusion. There's just not been a significant reactor upgrade/rebuild push. Also, why would we use large scale fusion if it is not cold fusion?
>>
>>51368220
You can watercool a plant without running that steam through anything. Also, disconnect the generators from the grid, water cool. Generators won't generate without a full loop. Heat will dissipate in air
>>
>>51368467
>We already have molten salt reactors
Not in any practical sense.

>and have achieved fusion.
We're still rubbing sticks together and you want us to build jet turbines.

>Also, why would we use large scale fusion if it is not cold fusion?
What.

>>51368444
>This is one of the reasons why we need really good energy storage options.
Yeah, grid-scale energy storage is one of those things we REALLY need to figure out in the next decade or so.

>Flywheels have the flaw that if they store too much energy they explode,
I'd say their flaw is that they don't store much energy. They only explode if they break - you don't normally overspeed them.

>Batteries are subject to chemical wear and tear.
And they cost a shittonne per MWh.
>>
>>51368666
We have achieved fusion, although as you pointed out it is in its very early infancy, but why you we widely implement fusion if we have not achieved cold fusion?
>>
>>51368686
>but why you we widely implement fusion if we have not achieved cold fusion?
We don't even know that cold fusion is possible. Why would we stop developing tech that works in order to chase butterflies?
>>
>>51367634
>Windmills don't cause cancer to everyone that lives around them.
But the large ones at are too close to where people live do have negative affects that have prompted legislation to keep them now up to 2km away from inhabited buildings.

But that's not why wind power is bad. It's because because it's not on demand and it's hugely expensive.
>>
>>51368114
>Thorium reactors could literally save the entire fucking world.

The solution that will have to wait on China. But I'd take Chinese LFTRs over solar or wind.
>>
File: deathtrap.webm (1MB, 640x362px) Image search: [Google]
deathtrap.webm
1MB, 640x362px
>>51367254
>safe
>implying
>>
>>51368140
>we ruined a beautiful river and wasted money on dam that nobody needed.
>>
>>51368709
Logically, we shouldn't. But America has nothing to do but wave their dick around, so research will continue until it's found. Even if it's not possible, and thoroughly proven to not be possible, some crackpot will continue
>>
>>51368371
>>why is this bad?
Because the cost of electrical generation is generally two main factors. Construction costs and fuel costs.

When you have a negative price in the middle of the day due to solar flooding the market all those plants that could have been selling power to help level out the costs of construction can't run. Yes they save on fuel costs but when peak demand hits and solar output drops to 0% (5PM-9PM) that peak power costs hugely.

This really cuts into the operational economics of the big hydro and gen II nuclear. Which both fill the role of base load generation. Dams because they are required to have some flow and nuclear because Gen II reactors are hard to scale up or down, they just want to run at 100% all the time.

All load following is done by natural gas with coal depending on tech having a lag of at least 30min.
>>
>>51368744
Wasn't that particular failure an intentional test?
I seem to remember something along those lines.

>>51368763
Eh, so long as they're not getting in the way of actual fusion research I don't really care if the cranks keep playing with copper pipes and thermocouples.
>>
>>51368666
>And they cost a shittonne per MWh.
The best price is about $1.20 per kilowatt hour over their life span of supplied power.

In scale coal and nuclear cost about $0.02-$0.08 per kilowatt hour.

Everything is cheaper than batteries, including backup diesels.
>>
>>51367254
Did those two jump to their deaths together or opt to burn up?
>>
File: 1438110542445.jpg (693KB, 1417x1890px) Image search: [Google]
1438110542445.jpg
693KB, 1417x1890px
>>51368781
>Wasn't that particular failure an intentional test?
Nope it was a break failure of the unit.
>>
>>51368781
>test
>in a storm
>>
File: nuclearwaste.jpg (314KB, 1276x704px) Image search: [Google]
nuclearwaste.jpg
314KB, 1276x704px
This fuel is all that is left after 110 million mega watt hours of production from a nuclear reactor.

And with a Fast Breeder Reactor (which we have had a commercial design ready for almost 20 years now) can turn that into about 10 billion mega watt hours of power.
>>
>>51368809
one jumped and died and the other died at the top. they were like 19 years old.
>>
>>51368781
As long as we have hover boards by the end of the years, we're good.
>>
It isn't. It's hazardous to the environment just to build them and if you build huge rows of them, you can actually slow down wind and create a local warming spot which isn't too terrible since it's only local, but still I'm not a huge fan of the manufacturing process of wind turbines.
>>
>>51367752
Why don't they live next to coal mine for a change? Have they ever inhaled the air of Beijing? Fucking first world problems. I'd still move there.
>>
>>51367876
>nuclear
Just asking to get fukushima'd by Israeli engineers
>>
>>51368872
>This fuel is all that is left after 110 million mega watt hours of production from a nuclear reactor.

lol

now post how much electricity America uses per day
>>
Why don't they just put the giant fans downwind?
>>
>>51367752

Remember when most farms used to have windmills anyway?
>>
wind turbines are fine

https://youtu.be/-YJuFvjtM0s?t=41s
>>
>>51368872
>>51370525
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=US+annual+power+consumption+in+MWh%2Fyr
>3.832×10^9 MW h/yr (megawatt hours per year) (2012 estimate)
So one of those would last about 365*110/3832 = 10.5 days.
>>
>>51367752
>implying that wouldn't be the perfect ambient for daily naps
>>
>>51370377
>2015
>Not knowing how reactors work
>>
Cause secretly it isnt power at all, they want to use all the wind turbines to move earth through space. Basically earth is now a spaceplane
>>
>>51372173
goddamn zionist lizards with their evil plans
>>
>>51367752
murrica city planning at its finest :^)
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingston_Fossil_Plant_coal_fly_ash_slurry_spill
>>
>>51370233
>cheap as fuck land prices.
>Free disco every morning and afternoon for an hour

Fuck oath I'd move there.
>>
>>51367254
Well I don't see anyone dying of nuclear blast, radiation poisoning, fire or any of those causes?
>>
>>51367752
I only felt sorry for the dog.
>>
>>51367752
Jesus Christ which retard put a bunch of houses and a wind farm right next to each other.
>>
>>51368140
Hydro, in most cases, is an ecological disaster.
It destroys entire ecosystems, prevents migratory fish to live their lives the way they used to, and cause lake eutrophization.
The solution is using micro-hydro and letting enough of the original river to flow so that fish can run up and down it
>>
>>51367654
This should as you're aware be properly referenced but yeah, it looks about right.
>>
File: SVAKilk.jpg (49KB, 345x345px) Image search: [Google]
SVAKilk.jpg
49KB, 345x345px
>>51368245
> Fusion
>>
>>51367768
I didn't know Mao Zedong posted on /g/.
>>
File: 1314968642002.gif (3MB, 392x334px) Image search: [Google]
1314968642002.gif
3MB, 392x334px
>>
>>51367848
>>51367803
There was a show about this in the US, it seemed most of them climbed with ropes, the guy who was learning used to climb oil rigs and thought it was too boring.
>>
>>51373133
Storms are storms, can't blame that shit on wind power.
>I don't think much of wind power though.

Solar+Storage is a good long term solution.
Battery Storage is stupid on a large scale, but water isn't.

It's already happening in Germany, but it's a great idea for everywhere - you build 2 retaining tanks/dams, separated by a decent height difference - during the day when you've got peak solar output, you pump water from the lower tank to the upper tank, at night you let it fall by gravity and it powers traditional hydroelectric at the bottom.

Boom, problem fucking solved.
>>
>>51367429
>ISIS did it again
>>
>>51368712
What kind of issues? My friend lives right by a ton of them and works on them. Only bad thing about it is you can hear them in his backyard but they sound cool so thats not even bad. People complaining about headaches and shit are lying because they don't want them by them.
>>
>>51373190
>solved
And just how large of an area does it take to accomplish this?
>>
I think the coolest shit ever is the Hoover Dam

One of the sturdiest structures in existence, and produces power. It's fucking awesome.
>>
>>51367752
>rich people problems
>>
>>51367750
>a big wind turbine catching fire has the potential to cause maybe 1 death in total
It caused 2 deaths.
And a wind turbine on fire is a nightmare. Firetrucks are not going to be able to put it out. And If the blades catch fire they will propel burning material within hundreds of meters around them.
>>
>>51375675
>Firetrucks are not going to be able to put it out

There are planes that dump water/fire retardant for situations like this.
>>
>>51367752

>literal NIMBYism
>literal cherrypicking of a single instance of shit planning to smear an entire industry
>>
>>51372692
Yes, this happened. Very small scale and not cold, but it happened.
>>
>>51372692
http://makezine.com/projects/make-36-boards/nuclear-fusor/

Building a nuclear fusion reactor isn't as difficult as you'd think (it's certainly easier than fission). Obviously you don't get anywhere near breakeven, but still. It's a fucking DIY nuclear fusion reactor.
>>
>>51367876
France's dependence on nuclear power has made them dependent on uranium imports from Nigeria and other African shitholes. That means they get militarily involved in every civil war in the region, stoking resentment and provoking terrorists.

Of course, America does the same thing with oil in the Middle East. At least France doesn't pollute.
>>
>>51367876
>I'd rather have radiation poison and a nuclear explosion than something much safer and less threatening to the population and doesn't pollute with things that can not be broken down
>>
>>51368245
>just $3000
How does a 14 year old get fucking $3000?
>>
>>51379544
parents
can't do shit without parents
Why do you think niglets don't do anything of value?
>>
Kill ya self OP
>>
>>51375675
ok, so two people.

Last time I checked there aren't cities of people around wind turbines that could get killed by flying debris.
>>
>>51367654
A screenshot from an excel file by a guy who cannot spell terawatt. Without source. Definately thrustworthy.
>>
>>51380709
>Definately
>>
>>51380724
I wouldn't trust a screenshot from an excel file made by me either.
>>
>>51367254
>Power
>Safe
Choose one only
>>
I was thinking about saving up for one of these for retirement and then moving to the middle of nowhere and living completely off the grid. Even old turbines running at 25% efficiency can generate 3k MW of energy manually. A single 45 W light bulb running 12 hours a day only requires about 200 kW of energy annually. I'd have all the power that I ever need with just one of these things.

Of course there's nowhere to discuss this project with anyone because no one gives a shit.
>>
>>51367254
Is that CIA on the top?
>>
>>51381039
I don't believe you get to bring friends.
>>
>>51372385
Not to mention the most impressive mass-casualty civil engineering disasters throughout history have been dam breaches and other accidents. And no matter how good we think we get at building them, they just keep happening.
>>
>>51374287
Too bad all the instrumentation embedded in it is long dead.
>>
>>51380902
You don't need a very large turbine to run one house. You could probably live off of a half kilowatt turbine, so long as you have plenty of storage.
>>
>>51368416
Centralia is an awesome place. Visit it after a rainfall.
>>
>Not using lithium-antimatter plants
>2015
Shit what's taking so long?
>>
>>51368256
>recurring problem
Happened once.
>>
>>51382995
I went there, drove my truck on the destroyed highway
>>
>tfw city doesnt want solar power
>350+ days of full sun
>could power the whole damn state
we have the fucking space and money is really not an issue considering the number of different oil and water plants going up in a couple of years
I dont get it
>>
>>51368467
>fusion
>put more power in than it produce
haha. 20 more years.
>>
>>51383414
search 'stellarator'
>>
>>51383414
There's a good chance the polywell reactor will be able to be comercially deployed before 2020.
>>
>>51383434
>>51383461
It's been "the next design will solve all our issues" for a long time now.
>>
>>51370377
Fukushima happened because the Japanese were too arrogant to properly engineer their reactors to withstand being on one of the biggest fucking fault lines in the world.
>>
>>51383479
The recent testing on the Wendelstein 7-X at Max Planck reached 30 mins of continuous operation. AFAIK that's a breakthrough and bodes well for a successful project.

Having to shut fusion reactors down before the magnetic fields rip it apart is what keeps fusion reactors from being feasible atp, the reaction part is 'easy' atp. The stellarator design may eventually wind up being successful.
>>
>>51367254
Situations like the one stated are highly unlikely and wind turbines aren't put in the middle of residential areas
>>
>>51383508
They did actually, the problem was the thirty meter wall of water that drowned the backup diesel generators.

All of the emergency systems kicked in as designed and planned, and had there not been the tsunami it would have been able to restore operations 36 hours later after the SCRAM.

>>51383534
They dont shut down so much as the plasma gets out of the ability of the magnetic fields to control. You can see it in the few videos there are on youtube of JET (joint European Torus, a Tokamak type reactor) running, and the plasma doesnt stay stable for long.
>>
>>51383570
>They did actually, the problem was the thirty meter wall of water that drowned the backup diesel generators.

>All of the emergency systems kicked in as designed and planned, and had there not been the tsunami it would have been able to restore operations 36 hours later after the SCRAM.

Exactly. They did jack shit to properly engineer the plant to withstand being on the largest fucking fault line in the world, let alone an island. Everything you said could have been easily prevented, and they were warned by officials across the world about the integrity of their structure, but the Japanese just blew them all off.
>>
File: 1417292282702s.jpg (11KB, 250x247px) Image search: [Google]
1417292282702s.jpg
11KB, 250x247px
>>51373099
someone paid attention in history class
>>
>>51383570
I mean they intentionally shut it down once the containment begins to fail, not that it somehow shuts itself off.

If they didn't shut it down they'd be getting nice and cozy w/ 100 Million degree plasma loose in the building very shortly.
>>
>>51384520
Ok i see now.

And the plasma is only that hot because of the external heating and magnetic confinement in a vacuum. Once magnetic confinement fails and the plasma expands to fill the torus, its effective temperature is going to be much lower than 100M degrees.

I know there's a couple of equations and properties of gas that can describe this.
>>
>>51384585
>its effective temperature is going to be much lower than 100M degrees.

Sure ofc. I'd probably only be ~3700K by the time it reached them running towards the emergency exits and watnot.
:P
>>
>>51384680
Remember the heat radiation will be effectively instant, however (speed of light.)
>>
>>51367254
People say they don't want them near their houses because it would ruin the view but I honestly wouldn't mind. Maybe I just have an appreciation for technology and good engineering but I think they look cool.

Shame it knocks down my property value regardless of how cool I think it is though.
>>
>>51384733
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyOImGHyJtQ
>>
>>51367750
>>51368416
>>51382995
>>51383301
Wasn't that the city used as inspiration for Silent Hill? (At least the movie, not sure about the games)
>>
>>51378480
Are you bullshitting again? This is /g/ not /pol/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_uranium_production
>>
>>51375675
How the fuck would the blades catch fire? They're not flammable.
>>
>>51367429
da's kankervervelend
>>
>>51367752
you're on /g/, would you not love surrounding yourself with technology?

That looks fucking cool.
>>
>>51367254
Not safer just cleaner
>>
>>51387875
>cleaner

that's funny
>>
>>51383335
You can't just connect thousands of solar panels to an existing power grid.
It will cause so much "noise" on the network, that you will get blackouts, and lowered performance of the existing grid.

Also, solarpanels decay over time, and is a fucking hassle to recycle properly. Especially those produced in China.
>>
>>51367853
>>thinks that people buy or build their houses in wind farms after wind farm construction
>>mfw
Well over here in germany they build houses next to a air field because it's cheap as shit and then afterwards complain that the planes are too loud.
Dumb people exist in great numbers.
>>
>>51387884
It's true though
>>
>>51387920
>You can't just connect thousands of solar panels to an existing power grid.
Don't most large cities already do this?

>Also, solar panels decay over time, and is a fucking hassle to recycle properly
Don't they last more than 10 years?
>>
>>51367254
Imagine this image. But rather than a wind turbine it's a nuclear power plant. How would your feelings be then?
>>
>>51387954
>Don't most large cities already do this?
Yes, and it's causing major problems. Just look up how they are doing in Germany
>Don't they last more than 10 years?
They degrade in power production with 0.5 to 1% a year, depending on the quality.
That is not a lasting resource.
>>
Wind power is about as safe a form of energy generation as you can get, at least safer than coal.
Also I recall seeing that the levelised cost of energy for wind is supposedly now cheaper than coal, and that as of 2013 global investment in renewables overtook fossil fuels, which is pretty exciting.
I'm interested in all forms of energy production and think they all have a place since there's no silver bullet if we want to be weaning ourselves from fossil fuels. It disturbs me how little regard /pol/ appears to have for climate science
>>
>>51367429
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hJeaPzDnOE
That looks like a mission briefing.
>>
>>51367752
Why did they build wind turbines in a residential area? Americans are retarded.
>>
>>51367834
>A small elevator inside the tower.
HAHAHAHA

More like a ladder.
>>
>>51368744
What does an exploding wind turbine sound like?
>>
>>51390256
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG1uGt6qUfM&t=2m36s
>>
>>51390210
Because the land was cheap and they don't give a flying fuck whether the locals like it or not
>>
>>51367752
It would be better than a coal plant or a nuclear reactor.

But who let's these things be built in residential areas? What if it collapses?
>>
File: vram.jpg (60KB, 668x498px) Image search: [Google]
vram.jpg
60KB, 668x498px
pretty basic actually
>
1 heat created by the wind boils the water
2 than it spins the turbine engine inside
3 which in turn burns coal/ or oil (some are oil)
>>
>>51390432
How does the wind generate heat?
If it's friction, won't it grind down after a while?
>>
>>51390210
The locals get paid 3-5k per turbine a year on their land.

It is just like those faggots complaining about fracking when they got paid by companies to mine on their lands.
>>
File: 1397378470358.gif (2MB, 234x194px) Image search: [Google]
1397378470358.gif
2MB, 234x194px
>>51390386
>>
>>51390451
they dont run them in winter
>>
>>51367254
>>51367429
These pictures are sad as fuck
>>
>>51388024
I would wonder why someone designed a nuclear reactor to be air-cooled
>>
>>51367254
No one is anywhere near that "explosion" in the rare instance it happens.
>>
>>51392727
People slap 212 Evos on FX processors though.
>>
>>51379544
How else do you think he fucking did it? Rich parents.
>>
I heard that they hugged, and one jumped and the other just stayed there.
>>
>>51390432
What?

The blades turn a generator. There's no water or coal or oil involved. It's called renewable for a reason
Thread posts: 193
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.