[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Minimalistic tech life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 2

Hey /g/

Has anyone else given up non-essential tech?

A couple months ago I realized I was drowning in distractions and notifications. Gave up my tablet, smartwatch, other hardware, deleted most online service accounts.

I am left with a laptop and a desktop and feel much better. I sleep much better as well.

Has anyone else gone through this? Just wondering. It feels strange sometimes because I have always felt like that tech neckbear that has everything, but I feel less stressed without it now.
>>
bumperido
>>
I have just a a desktop and I already feel how it drains my life.

Sitting here means I'll probably waste the rest of the day.

I'm considering getting rid of the destkp, the TV, get a laptop and put some plants here, maybe something autistic like an ant farm as well.
>>
I guess /g/ fits your concept of non-essential tech.

What are you doing here? Are you a dirty cheater?
>>
>>50776298
Well if it counts for anything, my smartphone's screen got busted around the beginning of September and I've yet to get it fixed.

Gone without a smartphone for about a month and a half so far and it actually feels pretty good not burying my head in the thing all the time.

I wanna continue, but sadly I'm in an LDR right now so eventually I'm gonna have to replace it to stay in touch easier. Going to try to limit its use after I get it fixed.
>>
>>50776850

You'll just end up on the couch with the laptop all day fam
>>
Do you even need your desktop? Why not just your laptop?

Why not go with an Android One phone and a cheap Chromebook to be truly a tech minimalist? It's all on the cloud anyway.
>>
>>50776905
Other than that, I have a Windows laptop and a Mac for development purposes.
>>
>>50776916

Normie detected

Good luck compiling the kernel on your chromebook tbh fam
>>
>>50776944
Why would you need to compile the kernel if you're using Chrome OS anyway? Even if you're autistic enough to use Gentoo you can just boot it and use it, it's not like your autistically configured Gentoo build will take more space than Chrome OS did.
>>
The only tech I use on a daily basis is my desktop (with all attached peripherals and necessary hardware), laptop for school, dumb phone, and a grinder for my coffee.
>>
>>50776850
You'll be on your latop on your couch all day and on top of that you'll have back problems, keep your desktop.
>>
>>50776298

gave up social media after Myspace killed itself
gave up smartphones a couple of years ago

I get odd stares when people talk about FB and I have no clue.
Same when I'm in line at a store and pull out my flip phone to ask the wife if she needs anything else.
>>
>>50777006
I doubt, that would be uncomfortable and I'm really picky when it comes to comfort.

I'm considering getting rid of the smartphone as well. It is useful for message apps to talk with coworkers and hang out with friends but most of the time messages are just bullshit I don't give a fuck about.
>>
>>50776298
>tablet
>smartwatch

Why would you even get these in the first place?
>>
been feeling like giving my desktop to a relative and just keeping my thinkpad.

might end up doing it.
>>
>>50776298
> all non-ensential tech
> laptop AND desktop
>>
>>50777133
>>50776916

I've considered it but my buddies and I absolutely love to play Smite and a few other games together. Once you play a game on a desktop on ultra everything, it is hard to play at 30FPS on a laptop.
>>
>>50777162
yeah i used to play too, but now i've cut down on it, and can do everything i need to do on my thinkpad.

don't even have a windows partition anymore.
>>
>>50777160
Good point, Anon, that laptop is useless trash.
>>
>>50776298

Why would you need all that shit in the beginning? I fully agree though, the problem with technology is where people use it to 'make' their life, not to enhance it. Yes it's brilliant and great for so many things but just take a look around for 5 minutes and see how many people are too preoccupied with a shitty phone than to actually pay attention to what the fuck they're doing or who they're with.

Keep your desktop, keep your laptop and keep a phone too. Just try to restrict how you use them.
>>
Today i bought auf beanie with bluetooth. Lulz
>>
>>50777222

I think that was my tipping point. That stuff wasn't enhancing my life, it was making it more dreadful. I had to worry about charging 5+ things a night instead of just my phone and laptop.

I was inundated in notifications, instead of focusing on stuff that needed to get done. I would stop what I was doing and answer meaningless meme texts/messages.

It has gotten better now. I haven't purchased much as I ask myself how it would make my life better before I do.

Shit is nice fam.
>>
>>50777222
This guy.

When you're ditching things, or considering ditching things. Or looking for replacements. In technology, as well as other lifestyle products, you're doing it wrong.

You're still focusing on the other things. You're still not doing anything.

If you first go ahead and do something, then maybe you'll simply use those lifestyle products less.
>>
>>50776988
>desktop, dumb phone, coffee grinder.
all that shit is junk, use the cloud.
>>
>>50777417

I feel like I agree with you but I'm just not sure what you are saying.
>>
>>50777353

Understandable really, I know that feel though fam. Honestly the majority of people in their day to day life don't need much more than a phone for personal use at least. I mainly only use my desktop at home for power use, then I've got my phone for when I'm on the move. I try not to mindlessly look at it to kill time though, but it's handy to be able to keep up with most things as and when.

I think the trouble lies with just general materialism and the consumer age we live in where there's constantly something else to purchase. Where we're all connected with the internet (which is a great thing) contributes to this though, and it's almost like we have an information overload which, unfortunately, most people can't seem to cope with.

On the topic of sleep, have you tried using f.lux at all? The artificial light from a monitor etc actually affects melatonin production in the body which results in disturbed sleep in a lot of people.
>>
I try not to get rid of tech but I stopped buying non-digital versions of shit. I've tossed all my books all together and only use my iPhone to read.
>>
>>50777464
>desktop is junk

Desktop hardware could be more useful than laptop hardware. Depends on what you're using the desktop for.
>>
>>50777468
Hm.

>You think you're not productive because you feel distracted by technology/cinema/newspapers
>When you do take a step and become more productive, or when someone guides you to be, you'll notice how you focus less on the "distracting" things

Is that better?
>>
>>50777535
Ah, then yeah I agree.

I also think for some people there the complete removal of distractions is important since we all have different levels of of willpower.

I agree with you.
>>
>>50776298
>having any of that in the first place
>>
>>50777572
>complete removal of distractions
Especially for those who grew up with less attentive parents.
I noticed that for those people, having a strong partner can have a positive effect.
Or being the strong partner, in my case.
>>
>>50777625

It was one of my struggles. I had a single mom who would keep me entertained with GameBoys and what not. She would have to work 12 hour workdays all the time. It is insanely easy for me to get distracted and the only solution for me is complete removal of many things. No more social media, no more cable TV, etc.

You got any tips for staying focused?
>>
>>50776298
Yes, I just have my little debian server that keeps all my photos and such safely stored, a rMBP, an iphone 5s, and a kindle now.

No desktop, no clutter, no wires everywhere, no fiddling with shit and overclocking and tweaking. All my stuff just works without a hitch now.

I also have deleted all my social media accounts and life is so much more peaceful. I have much more time read, I missed reading.
>>
>>50777872
> iPhone 5s AND kindle
sounds ike clutter to me.
>>
>>50777990
how so?

eink is a joy to read on

ips screens no so much
>>
>>50778015
You know what else is a joy to read on? paper.

you have to make sacrifices when you get rid of the bloat in your life.
>>
>>50776298
When I move out, I'll only be taking my laptop, my desktop, my phone, and my PS3. Gonna buy a TV and that'll be all I need for my apartment.
>>
>>50776298

I have not gone minimalist but I have reduced out a lot of my old outdated shit that I used to tinker with in favor of a real NAS and VPSes and Rpis.
>>
>>50778089
get that non-minimalist shit list out of here
>>
>>50776298
Since I finished school and have a full time job I dont even feel like using most of my stuff anymore. Feels kind of like a shame. Then again its probably for the better, I felt like I was spending way too much time behind the computer when i was still in school.
>>
>>50778015

read a book muthafucka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JOwyHghsag

no really, reading a physical book is better for retention than an ereader
>>
>>50778117
Guess I can cut down the laptop, don't really need it much and it's only a distraction.
>>
>>50778061
>books are somehow less clutter than a kindle

what?
>>
>implying I have non essential tech that wasn't dirt cheap to buy/maintain in the first place

linux on a thinkpad mustard race
>>
>>50778222
>mustard race

haha you made le make light of le white supremacy joke

so funny dude :)
>>
>>50778089
this is not a minimal list tech life
>>
>>50777872
you're living my dream anon, i just don't have the courage to get rid of my gaming rig after spending so much time and money on it
>>
>>50776850
>maybe something autistic like an ant farm as well.
I laughed
>>
>>50778142

What do you think of audio books? I usually listen to them while driving or doing menial tasks.
>>
>>50777222
>777222
CHECK'D
>50777777
>>
>>50778704
Hang on where already at 8K
>>50777777
>>
>>50778662

never been a fan of them.
>>
>>50778662
Bill Bryson's audio books are the only ones I have ever enjoyed.
>>
>>50777008
you must be a hit with the ladys
>>
File: what-00017.png (238KB, 625x576px) Image search: [Google]
what-00017.png
238KB, 625x576px
>Laptop is from 2012
>Phone is from 2013
>Desktop uses components from around 2012 to 2013
>See no reason to upgrade anything when it'll work just fine for the next 4 or 5 years.

I never understood why people buy such useless shit. What is a slightly faster laptop going to do for you when you only use it for watching anime and posting on 4chan? Why buy a new phone if your current phone is only a year old? What the fuck is the point of tablets and smartwatches at all?
>>
>>50777008
> i get odd stares

You probably don't. No one gives a shit if you're on facebook or not.
>>
>>50779040
for me it's
laptop: 2008
phone: 2012
desktop: cpu/gpu/ram from 2012, the rest varies
also pretty comfortable for now, my phone is overkill, but i got it cheap second hand. laptop could do with a little more ram, but otherwise fine
>>
>>50779025

married so it doesn't matter.
>>
>>50779071

I had a Walmart cashier drill me about my flip phone once. When I worked outside the house my coworkers would give me shit for still using a flip phone.
>>
>>50779040
Same here. My laptop is from 2012. The only reason I bought a new one is because the motherboard on my previous laptop got fried.
I have been considering upgrading so I could play more video games, but I am too cheap to pull the trigger.
>>
My dream is to only have a laptop or smartphone that can plug into a dock and act as a desktop, sorta like they were going with the Ubuntu phone.

Unfortunately I'm into 3D rendering and need the CUDA cores.
>>
I try to stay minimalistic. Am planning on replacing my smartphone with a dumbphone and a Sansa Clip, and then only having a desktop and a cheap laptop. It'd be good to focus on productive hobbies more.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.