[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just got an offer for a SysAdmin position for 90k. How ca

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: A-System-Administrator.jpg (150KB, 600x445px) Image search: [Google]
A-System-Administrator.jpg
150KB, 600x445px
I just got an offer for a SysAdmin position for 90k.

How can I negotiate more?

Salary.com says 3 to 5 years experience is 91k for national average. I have about 7 to 8 years experience.
>>
You're a sysadmin, you're lucky to even get that much. Don't fuck it up. You can ask for more once you're established in the company. Don't think you're the only one who was considered.
>>
Say your the BOFH.
>>
>>47771868
Start on 90k
Negotiate after a year or 2
>>
Where do you live op? If in a major city like New York or San Francisco, that's pretty low. If you're in the Midwest you're doing just fine.
I'm a systems engineer with 10 years experience and I work remotely for one of those big tech companies, I make 105k
>>
>>47772029

In Orlando. I didn't accept the offer, but did make the dumb ass mistake of saying "between 85k and 110k" when I obviously meant 100k, lol.

I'm going to talk to the talent acquisition and let them know my reasoning. Have you ever done any negotiating before?
>>
>>47772072
Yeah I asked for 110, they offered 100. I said I really need 110 and explained that I had been upfront about that number throughout the whole process. They gave me 105k plus a 5k signing bonus, so I thought that was fair.

Is this job at EA or Disney? Make sure you figure out how many hours you'll be working. Also you can negotiate other things as well, like vacation time.
>>
>>47771868

7-8 years and you still choose to come to /g/ for help with this basic question, you're a total loss sorry
>>
>>47772267
Why not? If he spent those years working at only one place, then it would make sense then he doesn't know much about negotiating.
>>
>>47772280

sysadmins know how to google something when they don't know the answer
>>
>>47772029
>>47771868
I have question. What does a system admin have to know to be employed? I have experience maintaining a webservers, I also know how to install gentoo without the guide :^)

Do I need to know indepth networking?
>>
>>47772326
>Do I need to know indepth networking?
Is this a joke?

Sysamin is a full time job even when you're not on shift
>>
>>47772326
You are more qualified that most I would say, especially at more generic non-tech companies. I'd give you a job probably.
>>
I am in my second year of college and want to be a sys admin. What do?
>>
>>47772438

learn
>>
>>47771868
>that pic

where i work there is a Faraday cage that looks like that, packed in with shit, and a rats nest of wires. a lone radio operator sits in it and has been doing his thing for the shipyard for 30~ years. someone is going to inherit his job and have to figure out the zen of the entire system.
>>
>>47772438

Make friends with people who are friends with people who are friends with people who hire candidates through that friend's referral. Just like with any other job these days
>>
>>47772350
>Is this a joke?
Maybe you misunderstood what I meant. I'm asking if you have to know how to mess around with switches and stuff like that. I'm assuming that system admins have to keep an eye on all the computers on the network for when stuff goes wrong or when installing software for the company employees. Wouldn't it be better if the system admin had in depth networking knowledge to understand how all the computers are connected?

>>47772397
Lets say you gave someone like me a job. What would be my first task as a new employee? What would my first week look like? During interviews for potential candidates, what kind of things do you ask them? Would you ask them to write something like a BASH script? Sorry for the barrage of questions.
>>
That 90k number is because the landlords in SF and NYC are twisting the thumbscrews on the dot com faggots which is raising the average.

Where is your job?
>>
File: hoarding.jpg (192KB, 600x445px) Image search: [Google]
hoarding.jpg
192KB, 600x445px
>>47771868
>>
>>47772767

lol
>>
OP Here,

Any other input?
>>
>>47772625
System admin is like the Jack of all trades. If you want to specialize in networking, try to be a network admin. Then you won't have to deal with when a user's computer blows up because all you have to worry about is that the Cat cable going to it is live.

I'm the sysadmin for a midsize company and like the other anon said, it's 40+ hours per week in the building and more outside of it when people fuck things up. I would recommend pursuing something with a bigger company if you can because then at least you can get some peers that can cover for you.

You do however lose the ability to twist the knife when you want more money and no one can do your job, but the stress ain't worth it

>inb4 you must be shit at your job to have shit breaking all the time

No, the previous people were so I spend all my time fixing their fuck ups on a shitty budget, so I can't just fix everything at once. If I could, I'd be happy, but instead I'm on /g/.

>>47774148
Point out how you exceed their qualifications and that you deserve more for your merits. I do agree with the other posters that you should put in some time, like 1 year, to show you got mad skillz, and then negotiate the raise though. Then they won't feel like they're being fucked and you'll get paid easily.
>>
>>47772625
I didn't answer your second question at all, my bad. I'm this >>47774246 anon, so not the guy you asked this originally.

I would have you help me running fiber optic cabling right now, and then making Cat6 cables for some new switches and patch panels that are going in. If you didn't want to do networking stuff, I'd have you looking into building a new file server for the rack because we need more space.

I had people ask me about familiarity with Active Directory, ACLs, basic security stuff, some knowledge about firewalls, and familiarity with Linux. I think the best thing you can do is going in knowing a few things really, really well so if someone touches on one of them, you can dominate and show you know it inside and out, proving you could be valuable to have without question.

Since you know how to install Gentoo without a guide, this should mean you understand how chroots work and the workings of Linux file systems and block devices. So in an interview, if you got asked something like "My computer won't boot and I need to get the data off ASAP. What do you do?", you could answer like:

>check BIOS settings
>open case and check for hardware issues

Assuming nothing obvious, and you need this data immediately:

>remove the HDD and cradle it
>use my knowledge from manipulating data in chroots and mounting/unmounting file systems to mount the appropriate partitions, retrieve the files, etc

Just bullshit like that. it's usually pretty obvious if someone is full of shit or not, like if you say you know all about Linux file systems and devices and I ask you what the "fuser" command does and you don't know, you're a shitbag that just memorized a how-to. You could redeem though if you said something like "Oh, I just use lsof and pipe it through grep", which while not as efficient, does get the job done usually.

Flex your brains for the interviewer when the opportunity presents, and you cannot fuck up unless you say something that is wrong.
>>
>>47774246

Thanks for the advice. I am going to bring up a concern about the median pay and how I exeed the experience, and reference some payscale type sites for backup.

Probably wont be pushy about it, but wont fold either.
>>
>>47772306
>sysadmins know how to google something when they don't know the answer
Or install adobe reader.
>>
>>47774246
>>47774469
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think I'll study a bit of networking, especially since it's been on my backlog of things to learn for a while now. I think I'd be able to handle the other things you mentioned, but when I approach problems I usually have to fiddle around a bit before things work the way I want. You sort of make it sound like if I don't get it perfect right away then the people looking over my shoulder are gonna be grouchy. I'm not sure if sysadmin work is for me, I'll look into it a bit further though. Thanks again for the reply, I appreciate it
>>
for everyone who is a sysadmin:
how did you get to where you are now?

me:
>finished second rate college
>know a bit of everything but not too familiar with anything except fixing computers
>1 years worth of intern experience fixing computers for a middle school alone
having a hard time landing my first job, what is a realistic job to start from?
>>
>>47771868
this pic is blowing my ocd mind
>>
OP Here,

UPDATE:

I've sent a rather lengthy and kindly worded email detailing reasoning and why I would like to request an additional 10k. The HR person is on a plane, so it gave me a reason to really flesh out my thoughts.

My method was to basically kill them with kindness among pointing out my extra experience and work ethic.

Hope it works. I'll update /g/ tomorrow for anyone interested.

This is the first time I've ever negotiated for +10%, so I am nervous.
>>
>>47771910
>no replies

I remember BOFH anon, I remember.
>what's your username?
>>
>>47776764
Don't be nervous anon, you're talent; they're after you. Plus, you know, you at least look like you have a spine.
>>
>>47776450
>for everyone who is a sysadmin:
>how did you get to where you are now?
>me:
>>finished second rate college
>>know a bit of everything but not too familiar with anything except fixing computers
>>1 years worth of intern experience fixing computers for a middle school alone
>having a hard time landing my first job, what is a realistic job to start from?

Anything really. You could do helpdesk or PC repair. I don't think you'd want to work at a place like geeksquad though to get experience, as you need to get experience with servers and stuff, not consumer shit.
>>
File: kwnnh.jpg (41KB, 490x325px) Image search: [Google]
kwnnh.jpg
41KB, 490x325px
>>47776817

Thanks. Your comment actually made me physically less nervous.

Still, even thinking of having the offer retracted makes me shit my pants. I really need a job and really want to work at this place. It's fucking awesome.

I've learned to things about me today. I internally catastrophize nearly everything, and have must have some type of catastrophe anxiety. My biggest fear is actually having the earth get swallowed by a rouge black hole.

Also, when I troubleshoot, I always start with the network.
>>
File: CDikvi8UUAAnwf-.png-large.png (235KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
CDikvi8UUAAnwf-.png-large.png
235KB, 500x500px
>people are making six figures to play with linux and you're still a NEET
>>
>>47774469
>making Cat6 cables
How common is making your own cables in the industry?

I imagine that most companies would rather just buy the cables.
>>
>>47777155
>I imagine that most companies would rather just buy the cables.
He probably meant crimping.
>>
>>47777184
This

They buy a fuckton of the shit and you cut and crimp it to length
>>
Say, can anyone tell me whether it's worth it for me to aim for a career in programming or would it be too saturated for future generations? (I'm 18 btw)
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.