[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What audio interfaces do all you musicians use? I'm planning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

File: steinberg_ur22_right_angle1[1].jpg (58KB, 1000x561px) Image search: [Google]
steinberg_ur22_right_angle1[1].jpg
58KB, 1000x561px
What audio interfaces do all you musicians use? I'm planning on getting a UR22 soon, but I'm sure there are better products out there for the price
>>
>>47662791
Not that important until you have a really great microphone, just go by features and ports.
>>
>>47662791
I own the UR-22, it's alright I guess, only use it for speakers, headphones and my midi keyboard. It does the job, but every few months it refuses to work and I'll have to fuck around with the usb cables until it magically works again, could be windows though (most likely).
>>
i have a scarlett 8i6.
it's been really good.
no driver issues, frequent updates.
>>
Relevant to my interests.

I want a rack-mountable audio interface for a professional mic later on. Scarlett's Windows drivers have an awful track record, so I'm really wary about buying any of their shit.

No, I don't need all those ports, persay. But I do have a medium sized rack in my room, and I would really prefer to have as much of my equipment racked, as opposed to sitting on my desk.

Anyone have anything to say about M-Audio Windows (or even Linux) drivers?
>>
File: IMG046.jpg (1020KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG046.jpg
1020KB, 2592x1944px
>>47662791
I have the same as >>47662851 and can comfirm his statements so far.
>>
>>47662791
I use a behringer q802usb mixer and run the main outputs to my amp and then to my monitors. It's really nice for me and my friends to be able to play our instruments casually.
>>
>>47662899
For Linux, it looks like ALSA and JACK work with that model without any special driver installation, just the USB sound stuff shipped with the kernel.
>>
>>47662940
damn, i'm going through an O2 as well.
>>
>>47662899
now you have me second guessing desktop models, rack mount looks like more fun to use
>>
>>47662791
Komplete audio 6. Working fine for now and I got a bunch of Native Instrument samples and guitar rig 6 pro for free with it
>>
Gonna buy a focusrite scarllet 2i2 very soon
>>
File: main.jpg (250KB, 672x352px) Image search: [Google]
main.jpg
250KB, 672x352px
>>47662791
Tascam 2x2. Looks too edgy though
>>
The ur22 is fucking awesome.
Its sturdy as fuck. The build quality is really good.
I had a scarlett 2i2 before, but it broke down on me (a cable got stuck inside with no way to get it outside.)
>>
What's a good interface to get if I just wanted to use an XLR microphone for gaming?
>>
I use a RME babyface for producing at hime and a Scarlett 6i6 for voice chatting + DJing
>>
>>47662791
Scarlett 18i8
>>
>>47663152
Yeah, I think there are a lot of benefits towards having a small to mid (~20 Rack Unit) home server rack in any anon's room.

1. Rack-mount battery backup UPS are larger and more centralized.
I got two of these in my rack feeding all my equipment, my computer, game systems, everything.
http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/pfc-sinewave-series/OR1500PFCRT2U.html

2. You can integrate server grade rack-mount switches and manage vlans, etc.

3. You can put a rack-mount PC and use Microsoft's HyperV Manager to create virtual servers which you can remote desktop into to use for various services, whether as an SMTP (e-mail) server, a Ventrilo/Mumble/Teamspeak server, a Minecraft server, and lots more stuff. And you don't have to have a huge ass industrial PC to do those small tasks.

4. I put my A/V receiver (fits 19" rack shelves) which my PC directs sound to to get to actual home theater quality speakers. My TV is connected to this, too, so I can watch anime from my bed using the same home theater speakers I use when playing games or listening to music. Game consoles and such are connected to this, too. I can change video input to the TV with a remote.

5. You can lock your valuable electronics into the A/V rack and it's not going anywhere. It's anti-theft, even if someone breaks into the house.

6. You get to learn valuable skills which will look good to employers. You manage your own rack at home, cables, equipment, everything.

7. Declutters your desk and puts all your stuff into a well sized enclosure.
>>
>>47663281
This is a very bad idea. In all honestly, it probably just won't work right. Most VoIP programs puke all over asio drivers. Get a snowball.
>>
>>47663281
Don't. Just use an AT2020 which is usb-based. Network protocols compress audio streams a lot, so using better mics won't make you sound much better in Skype, TF2, CS:GO, LoL, or whatever. The most improvement you might see would be on a Mumble server, but mostly if you increase the bandwidth on audio streams and you host your own Mumble server for others.

There are severe diminishing returns for going XLR route for gaming. You may in fact shoot yourself in the foot by getting a mic that's so sensitive, people regularly hear and get annoyed by the clacking of your mechanical keyboard.

XLR microphones are more intended for recording music, podcasts, YouTube videos, etc. Not for live compressed audio streams...

In a sense, you can consider the network audio compression used by many of the games you'll play as the ultimate bottleneck, meaning you just won't get better audio quality than the game will allow.
>>
makes me wonder if there are portable interfaces available.
>>
>>47663397
Any desk unit is considered "portable".
>>
I used to have a beheringer but it sucked balls. Super noisy, blue screened my pc, shit sound, shit overall.
Weird since I tend to have a good experience with their products.

Now I have a scarlett 2i2, the tiny one.
Since I only record guitar/bass/vocals, I don't need to many inputs, it works with everything, the pre-amps are fucking nice, it's tiny so I can take it with me when I travel, etc.
>>
>>47663212
Picked one up for 80 USD before shipping. It's nice not having the amount of noise over analog.

Worked OOTB on Linux. Build quality isn't quite what I expected, but still quite good. Anodized aluminum chassis but the switches are plastic.
>>
How do you guys know so much about this? I want to get into music production but I have no idea where to start. I guess I'll ask google and get down to it.
>>
File: 1385702436473.jpg (34KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
1385702436473.jpg
34KB, 500x334px
what do you all use for guitar input/recording? i have a line6 toneport ux1 which is great, i can get it down to about 8ms latency. but if i use it as a usb dac, often it will cut out audio for a few seconds which is annoying. this happens like every ~20 mins.

just wondering if there's something better for $100-200. i mainly use amplitube
>>
>>47664396
I use a scarlett interface. I mic my amp.

For that price just get a decent small interface.
If you have an amp with no line out or a mic to record it, just use an emulator for whatever you're using (protools or dunno). If it clips when connected directly to the interface you'll need to get a DI Box, but they are pretty cheap so it's no biggie.
>>
File: audio 2 dj.jpg (54KB, 812x529px) Image search: [Google]
audio 2 dj.jpg
54KB, 812x529px
I only need it for it's DAC and the two outputs, I can DJ with ableton and it sounds pretty good. Only at 100 bucks.
>>
File: 1413725714181.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1413725714181.gif
2MB, 320x180px
>>47663300
>Hyper-V
>Windows on rackmount gear
>Windows as a server
>mfw
For fuck's sake. Just put Linux on the PC and use KVM and the libvirt tools to manage your VMs.
>>
Realtek AC'97 ASIO4ALL
>>
>>47664464
the ux1 has xlr mic input but i prefer the guitar input. you can record a take in amplitube and it saves the dry signal so you can change whatever amp settings you want in the future. i mainly play metal with a modelled 5150.

i just need a non-shit usb interface. wat do?
>>
How does the Scarlett range compare to the Saffires? I have a friend who had a rackmount Saffire and he recommended I get one
>>
I've got an mbox2 that I got cheap, don't recommend it, because it occasionally bluescreens windows on resume
>>
>>47664997
You do realize that not all software that you may want to VM works on a Linux installation, right?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.