[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mythbusting Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

File: linux thread.png (130KB, 1000x670px) Image search: [Google]
linux thread.png
130KB, 1000x670px
1. You can get malware on a Linux system.

2. You do need* to reboot your computer after some updates (not including the kernel), as processes that are already loaded in memory will actually still be the older version until they are cleared from memory, which sometimes requires a reboot.
*you don't actually NEED to, but you will still be stuck with the older version in memory until a reboot

3. Most modern Linux distros won't work if you swap hard drives into different computers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_lhqg_p21k
>>
>5:22
>gnu linux has viruses
>the files which apparently are infected are something.dll and something.exe
>>
>>47662426
>as processes that are already loaded in memory will actually still be the older version until they are cleared from memory, which sometimes requires a reboot.
Restart the fucking program retard.
>>
>>47662426
>3. Most modern Linux distros won't work if you swap hard drives into different computers.
This is false.
>>
>>47662426
I kek'd when he said
>i'm not trying to bash on linux
and I was like, yeah I prefer zsh
>>
>>47662426
1. no shit sherlock
2. >>47662808
3. I once made a backup copy of my setup on an external HDD, just copied entire root folder. Guess what? motherfucker managed to boot.
>>
>>47662426
>2. You do need* to reboot your computer after some updates (not including the kernel), as processes that are already loaded in memory will actually still be the older version until they are cleared from memory, which sometimes requires a reboot.
>*you don't actually NEED to, but you will still be stuck with the older version in memory until a reboot
not true.
you can look into the memory and restart those processes that need to.

good distros come with tooling for that.
>Red Hat:
needs-restarting
yum ps
>SUSE:
zypper ps
>>
>>47662960
Did you even read 3?
>>
Why does every youtuber ever begin their video with the word 'guys'?
>>
>paid MS troll actually doing research for once
>posting "no shit" facts that they think will shock people
>they don't
>people still are turning away from MS shitware in record numbers for GNU/Linux
Nice try for once, MS.
>>
>>47662989
have you ever tried to do it? because I have and everytime it works so perhaps you're just incompetent or some shit idk, cause it works for me everytime I do it
>>
>>47663016
Fucking entitled cis-scum need to check their god damn privileges.
>>
>>47662426
>3. Most modern Linux distros won't work if you swap hard drives into different computers.
name one.
most distros just have one kitchen-sink kernel given an arch, so not being able to boot would mean the distro wouldn't work at all on given computer.

or maybe you are confusing it with some obscure UEFI/Secure Boot setup, but then nothing would be able to survive that migration
>>
File: 1425331293001.jpg (243KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
1425331293001.jpg
243KB, 1280x800px
>Anime/OS thread
>>
>>47662808

What's your plan of action after, say, a glibc update? Is it more convenient than a reboot for a desktop/laptop user?
>>
>>47662426
1. True.
2. You can reload all of userland without rebooting. You can even load a new kernel with kexec without rebooting.
3. Almost every one that I've seen works fine if I move the drive to an entirely different machine. Often it will have minimal graphics drivers and no wifi until proper drivers are installed, but it will boot and be usable.
>>
>>47662426
>mythbusting ubuntu
>all thread is about the wrong shit and not giving examples of real corcens of GNU/Linux
>>
>>47663100
>You can even load a new kernel with kexec without rebooting.
Not really, kexec is rebooting the kernel and it's not working that well either, so it isn't used much.
>>
>>47663100

>You can reload all of userland without rebooting.

Untrue. More accurately, you can do it, but it's liable to break something, which is especially troubling for an average guy using his Linux deskop. It's also pretty much impossible to restart the dbus daemon in a race-free way.
>>
Can anyone explain me why having to reboot after a major update is such a huge issue?
>>
>>47662808
retard pls
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/OfflineSystemUpdates#Benefit_to_Fedora
>>
>>47663184

1) Idiots like to show off their desktop's uptime.
2) Idiots like to pretend they're sysadmins
3) Idiots think "no reboots" is a huge thing for Linux and want to wave this around
>>
>>47662426
>2. point

You can always init S then init 2 (or init 3 depending on your OS)

>3rd point

This is why you 1. use UUIDs in fstab and grub and you include every hard disk driver into your initrd. Debian does this, so can other distros.
>>
>>47663184
nothing really.

not having to restart was some pseudo-argument for linux ages ago. didn't matter that your system went into an half broken state afterwards as long as Windows couldn't do it.

same as not running as admin/root was once an argument before linux desktop users released that their local user already can do/owns all the important parts.
>>
I just got into ubuntu like five days ago and the stuff I've encountered has been in the contrary to this vid.

tl;dr: I'm a metaphorical 9-year-old that can see that this young earth-tier video is hogwash.
>>
>>47662879
>i'm not trying to bash on linux

Well, he's not. He uses Linux full time and doesn't even dual boot anymore.
>>
The autism is strong with you
>>
>>47663043
He's not an MS troll. He actually uses Linux full time. Most of his videos are about Linux.
>>
>>47663216
>not using systemd
>still using fstab
>still using grub
>still using hard disks
>>
i got a jentwo flash stick that works on any PC, newest (stable) everything, and with PoetteringSoft SystemD® I can restart services on the fly!
>>
>>47663284

systemd recommends using /etc/fstab

See:

http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.mount.html
>>
>>47663308
any pc*
[any pc includes any thinkpad manufactured between august 2009 and september 2010, wireless driver not included]
>>
File: linux virus.jpg (199KB, 865x754px) Image search: [Google]
linux virus.jpg
199KB, 865x754px
OP's example of malware doesn't work since it detected WINDOWS malware.

If you want to see REAL LINUX MALWARE, by an actual drive-by download, look no further.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94QsgdXnsmU
>>
>>47662426
>1. You can get malware on a Linux system.
yeah no shit
you can, but it's next to impossible
>2. You do need* to reboot your computer after some updates (not including the kernel), as processes that are already loaded in memory will actually still be the older version until they are cleared from memory, which sometimes requires a reboot.
*you don't actually NEED to, but you will still be stuck with the older version in memory until a reboot
so restart the program then
oh, and you don't need to reboot for kernel updates after 4.0 lands, something ksplice-like got added upstream
bull fucking shit
>>
>>47663346

>oh, and you don't need to reboot for kernel updates after 4.0 lands, something ksplice-like got added upstream

Just no. Big kernel upgrades (e.g. new stable updates) will still need reboots. Live patching isn't a magic wand.
>>
>>47663253
I thinks that's more related to how Windows handle updates wich is still annoying
>>47663330
I couldn't use an anime wall in public, would like to
but autism is stronger
>>
>>47663346
>oh, and you don't need to reboot for kernel updates after 4.0 lands, something ksplice-like got added upstream
please read up what that actually does. no distro will care about it besides enterprise:
http://jwboyer.livejournal.com/50232.html
>>
>>47663390
>I thinks that's more related to how Windows handle updates wich is still annoying
constant fire hose updates instead of monthly update packs are universally hated by sysadmins.
>>
>>47663412

Yes, this even drives me mad when using Fedora as a end-luser. There needs to be some structure, and I've read some talk that that is where it's going.
>>
>>47663330
he's desribing some sort of script exploit, not anything ubuntu or linux specific, it would happen anywhere, he went to thepiratebay and didnt disable javascript or iframe execution
>>
>>47663445
It's a Flash exploit, definitely Linux specific and probably Ubuntu specific. This is why you block flash by default.
>>
>>47663412
I don't know about sysadmins, was just talking about the normal user who is more likely to start rumors. I thought Redhat, Centos and other 'stable' distros have regular updates, but I'm probably wrong

>>47663423
I prefers small updates because, they almost don't break for me, and if they do, is easier to know the problem or just roll back
>>
>>47663468
i like how flash runs in sandbox, but that sandbox just confines flash to itself while still giving it actual hardware access. so in the end it can still do everything.
>>
>>47662827
you might need to regenerate the initramfs and change devices in fstab, but that should be it, and those are trivial to do.
>>
>>47663499
>I prefers small updates because, they almost don't break for me, and if they do, is easier to know the problem or just roll back
your win sysadmin must suck if he doesn't test the patches individually before rollout

anyway there aren't many distros that have a strict SRU policy like Ubuntu. Would say Debian stable and RHELt after Production 1 and SLES till service pack.
>>
>>47663184
>Applying update 1 of 189, do not turn off your computer
>Updates failed for some fucking reason. Reverting updates, do not turn off your computer
Fuck Windows update specifically
>>
>>47663667
that's the proper way to do it and systemd will bring it to linux for all:
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/SystemUpdates/
>>
>>47663703
>needs 2 reboots instead of 1 like Windows
>kek
>>
>>47662426
>Most modern Linux distros won't work if you swap hard drives into different computers.
Bullshit, I've done it an amazing amount of times and it's always worked. With varying amounts of difference between the PCs. One time migrating a "server", I managed to get an HDD from a P3 to an AMD Athlon X2 7750 and it worked.
>>
Xubuntu or Debian? Which offers less preinstalled crap?
And is Kali-linux worth anything?
>>
>>47663970
Do not use Kali for your daily OS.
It's specifically made for penetration testing, stress testing, things like that
The way it handles root and normal users is NOT something you'd want to have in a regular OS.
>>
File: Joke_over_your_head.jpg (4KB, 200x190px) Image search: [Google]
Joke_over_your_head.jpg
4KB, 200x190px
>>47663268
>>
>>47663970
>Xubuntu or Debian? Which offers less preinstalled crap?
why not go for a minimal/net install instead of caring about some preconfigured defaults?
>>
>>47663970
debian, net install
i use it on 3 pc's, its great
>>
File: 1426227033873.jpg (306KB, 985x1380px) Image search: [Google]
1426227033873.jpg
306KB, 985x1380px
>>47662426
>1. You can get malware on a Linux system.
But almost only if you are an idiot. In Windows installing malware isn't such a big deal since you already installed cancerOS, and you are an idiot for doing so.
>>
>>47666495
>stop using what I don't like
The post.
>>
>>47662426
>>47663308
>>47663327
>>47663516
I have a flash drive setup with luks running netrunner. And my disk is referenced using /dev/disk/by-id/..... And i have booted that thing on god knows how many different machines and it works flawlessly every single time
>>
>>47666923
same fag here. I have used netrunner 14 and that works great. And now i upgraded to 15 and still works great. I just don't like netrunner 15.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.