[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about this "things" /g/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

File: chromebook.jpg (21KB, 420x380px) Image search: [Google]
chromebook.jpg
21KB, 420x380px
Well I'm looking for a nice portable laptop and I'm curious about the chromebooks

Anyone here has one?
Does it run any GNU/Linux distro (not ubuntu)?
Anyone here writes code on these?
Are they +$200 USD "google plus machines"?
How's the battery life on them?
How's the keyboard/screen on them?
>>
Do you know how to google? Just read a fucking review of it, thats how we learn about new technology
>>
I'm just asking for opinions from people that visit this board, I've already seen reviews but they only speak about the price and "it runs chrome lol"
>>
File: 57562203.jpg (156KB, 400x473px) Image search: [Google]
57562203.jpg
156KB, 400x473px
>>47559062
I will bite,
> I have one of these
> It runs a Ubuntu fork, Bodhi Linux
> I don't write code on it because the keyboard is shit,
> No
> Decent 6-8 hours
> Screen is 720p, keyboard eats dick.

AMA.
>>
File: image.jpg (73KB, 580x435px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73KB, 580x435px
>>47559062
>not getting a 12-inch MacBook
>2015.
>>
>>47559062
Had a C720 which now has a broken screen. Now I'm looking into getting an IPS Thinkpad X220.

Installing Linux works fine but getting certain things to work takes a little bit of manual effort and is generally a pain in the ass. You're better off getting something with a proper BIOS and better hardware compatibility.
>>
>>47559737
so, what do you do on it? general browsing stuff?

>>47559815
I might get one, how's the battery life on them?

>>47559862
I see, I am considering a "classic" laptop but I'm looking for a great battery life, that's why I was thinking about chromebooks
>>
>>47560147
Honestly? Nothing. I have a T420 that I do most of my really casual browsing on at work. I don't really use it all that much as it isn't that fun to use. It is good in theory though and if you don't have another laptop to use it might be a good pick for you.
>>
>>47559815
>Being a queer
>2011
>>
>>47559815
>2015
>Apple just starting to get single port computers
"oh shit. sorry Steve, we fucked up bad."
>>
>>47560147
eat a dick dont fucking dare touch 2015 macpoors
>>
If youre interested in the hardware, just buy one with the FHD display and replace the SSD for a bigger one. I have an Asus Chromebox and this pretty little black box is very versatile. I have Kodi, Chrome OS and Debian on it. They all are smooth.

Some people say that without internet, the Chromebooks are useles: but thats for the lazy ones who doesnt want to make a dual boot or a crouton.

Ive heard that in most of them the battery life is great.
>>
>>47560278
can you replace the SDD easily?
>>
>>47559062
have the c720 (i3, 4gb ram)
>distro
xubuntu
>write code
yeah, a bit
>"google plus machines"
not really, I do all of my web browsing on it
>battery life
survives a work day with ~20% to spare, so about 10 hours
>keyboard/screen
keyboard is surprisingly good, travel distance is deceptively far and almost no flex
screen is kinda shit, but it's a $300 machine, and the resolution is fine for 11.6"
>>
>>47560395
>xubuntu
was it hard to install? does everything works?
>>
>>47560395
>10 hours
actual screen-on time is closer to 7, I was just factoring in an 8-hour workday with 20% battery remaining
>>
>>47560432
as easy as any other distro to install (dev mode and boot from usb)
the trackpad gave me some trouble at first, but it was a pretty easy fix
>>
every laptop is somewhere in the 6-9 hour range anyway, unless you get an extended battery pack or something.
>>
Own the C720, 2 GB RAM + 32 GB SSD ( I fucked up here, buy the 16 GB and upgrade yourself )

Running arch, works perfectly and ive had no hardware related bugs
Writing code works (not sure why it wouldnt). compiling might be slow for larger projects unless you go with the i3/4GB ram
Great price for the performance
~6hr battery doing just basic web surfing
Screen is meh, shitty res but its a smaller screen so not awful.
Keyboard feels ok, my up arrow started falling offf

extra: build quality is absolute shit. scratches/cracks very easily and plastic discolors horribly. something with sound card/port fucked up and now i only get right earphone audio. part of screen is discolored most likely from pressure. another part has a tiny crack/scratch. you get what you pay for.
>>
>>47560468
trackpad is fixed in newer (~ > 3.18) kernels
>>
>>47559815
>single port
>ever
>>
File: 1426242792248.jpg (51KB, 539x539px) Image search: [Google]
1426242792248.jpg
51KB, 539x539px
>>47560713
>circa 1940+75
>being caught off guard by jews jewing
>>
>>47560636
I'm going for price/battery life here

>>47560655
>extra: build quality is absolute shit. scratches/cracks very easily and plastic discolors horribly. something with sound card/port fucked up and now i only get right earphone audio. part of screen is discolored most likely from pressure. another part has a tiny crack/scratch. you get what you pay for.

I see...
>>
>>47559062
I have a HP chrome book with 4 gigs of ram, I paid about 200 dollars for it. If all you want to do browse the internet and do some word processing then its great. you can torrent but magnet links don't work. The boot times are crazy fast like 5 seconds fast. also if you don't like chrome OS you can just install linux over it.
>>
>>47559062
Yes.

Yep. They have some popular ones. Debian. Arch. Kali.

I don't code, unfortunately.

Nope, I like it because it's fast and smooth for the price.

I get 6 hours on the C720.

I like the keyboard and the screen is good for me, but I'm not picky about them.
>>
>>47560882
its also running a 64 bit intel cpu. none of that ARM shit.
>>
I'm thinking about getting a C720 for Arch/Debian.

Should I get the i3? I'm getting 4GB RAM no matter what.
>>
>>47559062
Get the new 2015 pixel, looks sexy af. Best screen of any laptop anywhere.
>>
>>47560829
fwiw i bought the asus c300 (16gb storage, 2gb ram, dual core intel proc) from woot a while back and it lasts about ~8hrs. give or take ~2hrs depending on load. its really pretty amazing considering this isnt /advertised/ battery rating, its actual battery rating.

having owned and used plenty of laptops that didnt last much more than 4, maybe 5 hrs on a full charge, it feels like this thing never runs out. this is with a ~14" screen, but at 1366x768 (im used to this resolution and at that screen size FHD tends to be as troublesome as it is helpful due to readability).

havent bothered with crouton or dual boot yet, but plan to. so feedback is only for chromeOS.

if you take care of it the build quality doesnt seem lacking to me. you DO get what you pay for, and as it is all thin plastic you will need to be gentle with it... but it hasnt worn/cracked/broken anywhere for me yet. the trackpad is very nice... but i do still wish it had 2 buttons. this is solved with a mouse obviously. ive gotten used to it, but im not fully on board yet. that being said, the scrolling and tracking are fantastic.

screen leaves something to be desired with color reproduction and viewing angles, but... its also a $200 machine. brightness is fine.

if youre looking for bang VS buck, i feel like its a great option and is very versatile if you want more out of it than just simple browsing and document handling. youre spending twice as much to get less battery life and a larger chassis for the next step up in a windows laptop, so if it gets the job done it has its perks.
>>
>>47560942
oh yeah, the keyboard. for a laptop keyboard im pleased with the key size and spacing, as well as the travel. no flexing noticeable. - my only gripe is that i tend to shift left by a whole key when putting my hands to the keyboard. not sure why. maybe the relative placement of the trackpad to the keyboard? really not sure, but it happens often enough that it feels like something must be happening that my eyes/brain think im in the right position when im not.

this is likely not going to be a problem for most.
>>
>>47559062
>>Anyone here has one?
yes
>Does it run any GNU/Linux distro (not ubuntu)?
yes
>Anyone here writes code on these?
yes
>Are they +$200 USD "google plus machines"?
no
>How's the battery life on them?
16 hours of vim and web browsing
never really did anything ultra hardcore on it to know how low the battery life could go.
>How's the keyboard/screen on them?
the keyboard is about as good as any other laptop keyboard, screen is complete shit.
>>
Someone that I know has one of these and had me look at it for them, because his "r" key was sticking... was clean as fuck, no idea was the issue was and assumed I had to pull the keyboard out from under... eventually realized I could pop the key off like every other keyboard and found the tiniest piece of jizz or whatever. It's fine now.

These machines are essentially cell phones with keyboards and large screens.
>>
>>47561006
you touched your mates jizz?
>>
>>47561026
Might have been jizz, might have been something else.

The thing about True Friendship between Real Mates is that you don't call it all off over minor matters like that. You can touch their jizz in a non-sexual context and no drama need arise as a result.
>>
File: 2015-04-17-014653_1366x768_scrot.png (190KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-17-014653_1366x768_scrot.png
190KB, 1366x768px
>6-8 hour battery life on a C720

are you all just plebian as fuck?
>>
>>47561067
c300 here. ive gotten up to 12+ hrs. havent tried to run it down though, and have always used it for mixed activities, so i have no idea what its upper limit is. suffice to say it will last all day off the wall until i can get back to a charger. which is likely all most users need to know.
>>
>>47561067
>not combining oneechan with 4chanx

pleb
>>
>>47561127
>using chromeOS
>upscaled res
>probably doesn't get 19 hours of battery life
>>
>>47561154
you're still a pleb
>>
ok, so "good" battery life in general then...
>>
>>47561174
why because I use a freedom respecting browser/OS instead of some weebshit rice css for my 4chins browsing experience?
>>
>>47561222
yes, exactly.
>>
I'm going to bed, thank you guys, this has been helpful
>>
>>47561197
if by "good" you mean MacBook Air masterrace tier, yes.

Acer C720 is literally the best budget laptop around and Macbooks are for faggots who can't afford the extra hundreds for the proper rMBP
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.