[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you say Missingno. was a success or a failure when it comes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 13

Would you say Missingno. was a success or a failure when it comes to error handling?
>>
>>47545740
Well, it's a graceful error, at least.
>>
>>47545751
>destroying player save
>graceful
>>
>>47545790
At least the game didn't crash.
>>
>>47545740
It was actually a pokegod.

That's why it might break your cartridge.

I'm pretty sure I caught a pikablue. It had lots of yellow and blue.
>>
>>47545790
Well, it's not meant to be captured or found.
>>
>>47545740

glitches on the gameboy are not easily comparable to the modern concept of graceful error handling. the amount of round-about spaghetti included for compression purposes, combined with the program having free-reign over the hardware, make for a completely different sort of errors
>>
>>47545790
MISSINGNO. wasn't that harmful. In fact, it was mostly beneficial, outside screwing up your Hall of Fame records.

There are glitch Pokemon that are far more harmful, particularly 'M, commonly mistaken for MISSINGNO. Now that fucker could deal serious damage to your game.

And then there's the shit you encounter in Pokemon Yellow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSyzAtyBivI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVbMfRGQ534
>>
>>47545912
holy fuck is that ever eerie
>>
>>47545740
>tfw I never could make missingno appear
I even got all 151 Pokémon in my Yellow cartridge ;_; But no missingno ever.
>>
>>47545952
Yellow was patched so that encountering Missingno. was much harder, to the point that you mostly necessitated cheat hardware.
>>
>>47545740
Missngo. has a lot of variants, where and how you encounter the pokémon can determine the outcome. Some are meaningless crashes, catching some can result in certain pokémon, some can fuck your save, some can fuck the game till you turn it off, some can permanently damage the game.
>>
>>47545740
Neither. It was a complete lack of error handling. What happens is this:
>Cinnabar has no wild Pokemon in it, so no list of Pokemon is loaded -- same as every other city that doesn't have water inside of it
>the little strip of coast has a nonzero encounter rate
The result is whatever was in the encounter list before is what you'll encounter. Hence if you escape the Safari Zone and go straight to Cinnabar without passing through another place that loads encounters, you can fight Safari pokes and catch them with normal balls.

Now, there's that damn fake battle where the old man shows you how to catch a Pokemon. The battle program supports everything they need to make that battle work, except for one thing. It loads the player name from a global variable and uses it for stuff like "ASH threw POKe BALL". They used a hacky fix -- actually change your name to OLD MAN for the duration of the battle. But they needed some place to backup your actual name so they can put it back after the battle. There's this little array for wild encounters over here that isn't going to get used until you wander someplace with wile Pokemon, and it'll get data loaded into it at that point.

So now we have a battle that writes your name into the wild encounter list, and a place that lets you encounter the Pokemon whatever garbage bytes in that list represent.

>>47545790
If your save was destroyed by Missingno, please tell me your player name (case sensitive). All Missingno's I've seen were harmless apart from fucking the Hall of Fame data and temporary graphical glitches, even if captured. Some were level 0 however, and any level 0 Pokemon will make a box permanently inaccessible if you let it be sent there.
>>47545815

Missingno's sprite is a graphical representation of some other data in memory. Its name and odd type of BIRD is a holdover from beta testing. So, it was probably the first Pokemon in the game but most of it was overwritten, like sprite and cry which are random.
>>
Now that I remember, I didn't encounter missingno but there was another (or related) strange cheat related to the Safari, Cinnabar Island and surfing that made you appear in a buggy location. I did it many times until it erased my game. That was fucking traumatic.
>>
>>47545912
I have caught 'M in Blue multiple times. The worst I was able to get it to do was
>duplicate 6th item
>glitch graphics until reboot
>corrupted Hall of Fame
>destroy the box it gets sent to if it's level 0

I have however encountered real save-destroying glitches elsewhere, mostly when messing with experimental Gameshark codes. Basically if the game starts superglitching like placing infinite Pokeballs when you heal, SHUT THAT FUCKER OFF, NOW. What you're seeing is it slowly march across memory, corrupting a few bytes out of every few dozen. If you sit and watch it, it will eventually march up into the cartridge SRAM area and corrupt up your save.

>>47545961
Actually there's a wonderful glitch item in Yellow that lets you run the items in your bag as Z80 asm code. You write a "program" by collecting different numbers of different items in the right order, then execute it by using the glitch item. Naturally you can do pretty much everything a cheat device can with this item, and more.
>>
>>47546058
Glitch City, I believe it was called.
>>
Only glitch I really abused in RBY is the one where you fly before battling an off screen enemy and you got a random pokemon encounter depending on the enemy.
>>
>>47545984
>battling missingno is battling yourself

2deep4me
>>
>>47545984
With a player name of R.E.D. I had level 242 mewtwos.

My game didn't crash, though.
>>
>>47546083
Glitch City was some other random data being interpreted as a map. That could lead to all sorts of crazy glitches depending where you walked, including destroying your save.

>>47546096
Specifically, you're battling 1 character from your name, of a level defined by the next character. The name "Joe" iirc for instance produces an 'M, a level 179 Rapidash, and something else.

I have bad memories of that Rapidash. No matter what Pokemon you have, it will outspeed any attempt to run, easily absorb any attack you throw at it, and obliterate your team very quickly. I didn't think to carry Poke Dolls back then.
>>
>>47546096
First-gen Pokemon was one of those ultra-rare cases where the stars aligned just right alongside terrible and rushed programming to come up with a playable game that when prodded just right gave you the most conveniently weirdest shit to the point that it looks like intentionally creepy design.
>>
>>47546141
I love how many glitches that game has, it's so fucking fun to play around with
>>
File: YGlitchDexMissingno..png (2KB, 160x144px) Image search: [Google]
YGlitchDexMissingno..png
2KB, 160x144px
I personally enjoy glitches after you're done with the game, it's something fun to do. Telling other kids that catching him before you beat it will help you or he's powerful was a dick move.

pokemon glitches are cool especially the other glitch pokemon because it's like an advanced version of the pac man kill screen, the game is just shoving shit into whatever it was called for. I like how it makes sense even on a childish level without crashing, like the pokemon is called out which happened to be corresponding to celadon city so it's like you own a city in a pokeball.
>>
>>47546156
Only OoT comes close in terms of being perfectly playable on the surface and yet utterly and completely broken underneath/
>>
>>47546141
>creepy
That golbat sprite gave me nightmares.
>>
>>47546172
I didn't know OoT was like that too, you've inspired me to fix that broken N64 I picked up on eBay
>>
I experienced a bug that I have never heard of (at least at that time, from IRL people). I exchanged a Kadabra from Yellow to a second generation game and Kadabra evolved to Alakazam and learned an attack (don't remember which one, maybe Shadow Ball) that didn't exist in Yellow right in the cable club room. Then that Alakazam was exchanged back to me in my Yellow version. Each time I use that attack I can escape from battle and some buggy parts appear in screen. I still have that Alakazam with that move in my Yellow.
>>
I thought Missingno was a place filler for the old guy who firsts shows you how to catch a pokemon in red/blue.
Due to memory limitations I read that they implemented him as a pokemon and ran that sequence as a mock battle rather than programming in a unique sequence.
>>
Assembler language is cool because the point is usually reducing size and getting things running fast, everything else be damned.
Homoiconicity leads to so many cool things.

Who Metroid II here? I want to discuss any bugs that are in that game. I know there's corrupted Chozo ruins you can get to, but I'm not aware of anything else.

Old games that had full control over the system were so cool. Now everything's so safe and games are bland and only last a few hours on the first run through.
>>
>>47545740
Isn't that Miu? I remember an hack like that was used in Red, Blue and Yellow, you capture it and then you get Miu.
>>
>>47546141
The Red/Blue you know is AFTER the worst of it was patched. Japanese Red/Green for instance have a glitch where the "switch item" cursor doesn't cancel if you leave a list. The game will happily switch an item with a Pokemon outside of battle, or a Pokemon with an attack in battle.

Of course this doesn't result in a Pokemon being in your bag. It moves the bytes there, where they get interpreted as something different. Because items are small and Pokemon are large, you can use this to overwrite the item list end marker and make the item list go on forever. At this point it's basically a memory editor written in item names and quantities, and you can edit bytes by tossing and switching items.
>>
>>47546189
Oooooh, you have no fucking idea mang. No fucking idea.

Look up some OoT speedruns, and prepare to have everything you thought you knew about OoT be turned upside down and inside out.
>>
>>47546205
Post some goddamn pics.
>>
>>47546209
I captured Mew in Lavender Village (literal translation) in Red with some kind of cheat.
>>
>>47546209
There are glitches to catch certain Missingno. and get pokémon, but it depends on how you encounter it. There are a few glitches to get Mew, most don't even involve a Missingno.

>>47546218
Thanks, I finally have something to do for the morning.
>>
Of all these glitches, I only ever encountered missingno. I think I used to grind my pokemon against it for some reason, guess it happened to give me good exp somehow, game never got messed up.
>>
>>47546236
I don't have my Game Boy nor the cartridge here but I swear it's true. This weekend I will make a video (actually now I want to play it so bad). Maybe will post here if there's a more or less appropriate thread.
>>
>>47546205
ayy lmao. I hadn't thought to try this but see how it works. It checks for 2nd gen attacks when you enter the Time Capsule, but not after.

>>47546209
>>47546246
Missingno. The Mew thing was to fly away from a battle just as the trainer comes on screen and spots you. You then get in another battle, play it normally, then return to the route where you flew from a battle. A Pokemon will appear. The Special stat of the last Pokemon you fought defines the species of what you'll get, and the attack modifier (growl/meditate/whatever count) changes its level.
>>
>>47546172
Yea, I'm impressed with the speedrunning community for finding these.

Despite playing through this a decent amount of times, at least five, the only glitch I ever ran into was graphical during a scene transition.
>>
>>47546255
Be careful. The game is broken to the point that if you jump into the latest speedrun, you WILL be 100% confused as to what the fuck you just watched. Some of the glitches make no sense unless you have prior knowledge of how some shit about the underlying engine works, as well as some history of how speedrun routes used to be.
>>
>>47546327
I've actually never really played OoT, except for a partial completion on the 3DS port before I traded the system, so most of this is just seeing how he's exploiting the game to make it through fastest, and being amazed at how much effort they've put into this
>>
>>47546206
Sort of, but he's not a pokemon as such. Because your trainer name temporarily changes to 'Old Man' during the training, rather than trashing it afterwards, it puts the string into the memory area normally reserved for pokemon information about that zone. There apparently isn't really any need for this, possibly it was supposed to trigger a flag at one point but I assume it was just left there and didn't get squashed when doing the final build.
Anyway, as Cinnabar Island has no pokemon encounters programmed until you're two or three (I can't remember) tiles out to sea, the 'Old Man' data stays in the encounter memory area.
>tl;dr no
>>
>>47546327
are you talking about that sub 5 minute run? the one where they did something to modify the byte of which room they're in so that when they leave queen gohma's room it puts them at ganon's castle but as a kid?

soon it's gonna be throwing an object at the cartridge just so that it breaks it to be the game over screen when you start or some shit like that. how far can they turn the game inside out again
>>
>>47546327
>walk up to a wall
>spin three times
>random sorts through items
>swings sword
>press some C buttons in apparent random order
>teleports halfway through the game
WHAT
How do people find this
>>
>>47546365
And I just realised that someone else already explained this. Oh well. Good to stretch the memory every now and again.
>>
>>
>>47546327
Dude calm down, most speed runners make commentated versions of their best runs.
>>
whenever I encountered missingno I also encountered poke'mon that were level 131. Whenever I caught them, they'd level down to 100 after any battle. What made these poke'mon's level so high?
>>
>>47546365
I'm betting there was never a "valid" flag there. The thinking was probably that the player is in an area where there aren't any wild Pokemon, so therefore whatever's there isn't applicable anymore anyway. It'll get overwritten the next time the player wanders into an area with encounters.

That actually DOES work properly and is not a bug. The part that's a real bug is making a map area with encounters and no Pokemon list.
>>
>>47546417
I would just like to know who was the first fuck who found this out. Surely it had to have been by pure chance, right?
>>
File: 1270708725267.jpg (95KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
1270708725267.jpg
95KB, 600x500px
>>47546401
>>
File: Originaltruck.png (75KB, 483x406px)
Originaltruck.png
75KB, 483x406px
>>
>>47546368
My guess is
>spazzing around boredly after beating the game and not having anything more interesting to do
>wtf why did I teleport someplace random
Then possibly years later,
>learn enough asm stuff to take the game apart
>remember that glitch
>repeat it while watching memory viewer
>figure out how to control what the destination is

>>47546436
Probably again by chance:
>fly to Cinnabar from elsewhere to go see the Seafoam Islands
>get 1 square out, random encounter
>wtf why isn't this a Tentacool?
>>
File: cosmo wright.png (130KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
cosmo wright.png
130KB, 300x300px
>>47546436
A bunch of people on some speedrunning board found a series of glitches gradually and then one guy took all of them and made that historic speedrun.
Don't think it was all one person, and don't think it was the speedrunner who figured it all out, he merely stole the glory.
>>
>>47546466
Goddamn that truck. I spent hours there because I read somewhere that Mew was there. Fucker said I should use strength in the back of the truck and push it off.
>>
>>47546472
>learn enough asm stuff to take the game apart
>remember that glitch
>repeat it while watching memory viewer
>figure out how to control what the destination is

>tfw finally about to reach this point with asm
I know that asm is usually a waste of time and turing machines really should be on their way out, but god damn is it so interesting.
What is it about outdated machines with complicated inner workings that we find so fascinating?
>>
>>47546493
Yes I wasted a weekend with my friend's game when he was done with it. I had to know. Fuck you, random playground kid who told me there was something under it.

the general consensus is they used it to scale the boat but it still doesn't match up, although you could say it was never going to because it was tiles on the gameboy. If I put that there, I wouldn't ever admit it so we'll probably never know.

dunno why this never works in any other game. there's always areas you can't access or little details that mean nothing. why only in pokemon did this rumour start.
>>
>>47546466
It's funny how they added the truck again in FR/LG, and yet it too did not contain anything. There was a Lava Cookie in the pier nearby, but that was it.
>>
what you name your rival, /g/? I named it after this kid irl I hated.

>SONY and NINTEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJoz71F26II
>>
>>47546555
DICKS, like the usual. Sometimes Douche
>>
>>47546555
I named it after my cousin. And he after me. Now it makes me cringe.
>>
>>47546537
You kidding? OoT was full of rumors derived from small insignificant details as well.
>>
>>47546137
This kind of shit makes me think of it as an unintentional precursor to procedural generation
>>
>>47546652
>>47546537
It's what happens when you play games without the internet.
Now every game is too straightforward, all the glitches and walkthroughs are posted within days of release, all the game journalism coverage manages to spoil every last detail of the game if you were even remotely interested in it, and now you don't even have to fucking play it thanks to streamers and those lets play shitters.
>>
>>47546537
>the general consensus is they used it to scale the boat

If it was a reference when drawing stuff, it would have been a layer off to the side in the paint program, and wouldn't have been made into actual game tiles, much less placed. If it was so the player could see how big the boat is, it wouldn't be placed offscreen in a place where you can't get without coming back later with Surf.

IMO it was placed there by a dev as an easter egg or inside joke.
>>
>>47546652
yes, I remember the majority of the triforce drama. I think it's amazing how some people are trying to find it even after they decompiled the rom and proved it isn't there.

...could you encrypt like game data or something or embed data in some extremely esoteric pattern so you could really hide something? look at the songs posted earlier, those are just glitches but it randomly generated a decent song by mistake. Like, the only other thing I know of that's like that is the bible in people finding words separated by a certain number of letters and patterns in patterns in patterns etc.
>>
>>47546246
I captured mew on blue with
https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~jdonald/pokemon/mewglitch.html
>>
>>47546693
>...could you encrypt like game data or something or embed data in some extremely esoteric pattern so you could really hide something?
Yes, you can, and it has been done.

Somewhere around 2007 I was poking around in an old game from around 1994. I noticed that when you press a key, there was a weird bit of code. It had this global variable it would load, shift left a few bits and then xor the keystroke into it. It would then compare it to a handful of specific, random looking values.

Turns out you hit ctrl-A to clear it, then type in a few strings and then click specific locations on the map to activate secret mini-games. I tried putting these strings into Google and got 0 results.
>>
>>47546734
weird site, to have it on a .edu lol
https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~jdonald/pokemon/#glitches
>>
>>47546754
>a grown adult with a page dedicated to glitching children's video games

only in academia
>>
>>47546759
>I hate fun
>>
>>47546759
Aaaand thread over.
>>
>>47546759
FUCK OFF I LEARNED SOME SHIT

https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~jdonald/pokemon/walkthroughwalls.html

AWW YTEA
>>
>>47546754
holy mother of god.gif

https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~jdonald/pokemon/level100.html
>>
>>47546794
Man, what the fuck does the coast of Cinnabar Island have? What a Bermuda Triangle.

Also some music to promote suicide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvD5vFSwAlY
>>
File: fanart.png (539KB, 608x608px) Image search: [Google]
fanart.png
539KB, 608x608px
I may as well post thing thing:
http://lparchive.org/Pokemon-Blue/
>>
>>47546751
Which game?
>>
>>47546853
lol @ comments guy got rekt

wtf is green version, is that like the japanese blue version?
>>
>>47545912
No wonder there are so many Pokemon-based creepypastas. Some creepy shit right there.
>>
>>47546900
No, people in the comments are retarded. That's the music from the original Japanese game, and it's the same as the American and European versions. There's a beta version with another track for Lavender Town. It's however unclear which one supposedly caused kids' suicides. And about the audio quality it's obvious the guy used the phone jack. It's not fake.
>>
>>47546853
It has wild encounters, and no defined Pokemon to be encountered. The result is you get whatever was in that array from before.

>Lavender Town syndrome
Complete bullshit. According to random people on the Internet it only works in the original version of the Japanese games, only with headphones, and works best on original GameBoy. So I recorded and compared the music from Japanese Green 1.0 and US Blue played on real DMG over both noisy headphone jack and prosound mod. There are no differences. The final US Blue has exactly the same music as the original Japanese Green.
>>
>>47546083
>The only way to escape the glitch is to Fly or Teleport out of Glitch City. If the player saves in Glitch City and does not have a Pokémon that allows them to leave, they will be unable to escape.
>>
>>47546937
and if nothing was in the array (as the coffee dude resets and fly doesn't "change zones" so nothing gets added to array) you get the error handle, thus this thread exists
>>
>>47546900
Japan got Red+Green. The sprites were criticized as looking flat and often way different from the official artwork. They then released Blue, which was a sort of remixed Red+Green with different Pokemon in different places. It had better art and some glitches fixed.

The rest of the world got Red+Blue, which have the Pokemon encounters from Red+Green, the better art from Blue, and the glitch fixes from Blue. A good bit of code was also modified to accommodate longer player and Pokemon names since the Japanese versions had lower limits. (In exchange, our boxes hold 20 Pokemon instead of the original 30.)
>>
>>47546218
Yeah I only ever do glitch speedruns of OoT/MM nowadays. The DS ones also seem to fix a few bugs, but introduce WAY more. Shit's great.
>>
>>47545912
The fuck... That shit sounds like Stockhausen in 8 bits.
>>
>>47546994
Is that because our alphabet requires more characters while japanese is usually less for the same thing?
probably..
>>
>>47546943
I am sure you could find some glitch pokémon after being trapped for decades that lets you escape
>>
>>47546985
>and if nothing was in the array (as the coffee dude resets and fly doesn't "change zones" so nothing gets added to array) you get the error handle, thus this thread exists

No. The Old Man battle leaves your name in the array. You don't get an error handler. You get whatever Pokemon the bytes in your name happen to represent. Had it zeroed it after the battle, you'd get no wild battles instead of Missingno and random other shit.

>>47547013
Exactly.

>>47547015
Nope. No wild battles means no pokes. You're also very often trapped in a really tiny area.
>>
File: AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH.gif (2MB, 599x334px) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH.gif
2MB, 599x334px
>>47546401
>>
>>47546141
>rushed programming
Ironic for a game whose development took six years.
>>
>>47546667
procedural generation had already been done by then anon
>>
>>47546277
I am making it my mission to bump this thread until this guy posts his video.
>>
>>47547162
This weekend. I literally can't now.
>>
It wasn't error handling. It appears BECAUSE there is no error handling. That's why it has random attributes, a random sprite that corrupts part of the memory when decoded and its invalid index number causes the "set seen flag" to instead set a completely wrong bit (The highest bit of the quantity of the sixth item).
>>
File: 1428069073897.jpg (64KB, 499x480px) Image search: [Google]
1428069073897.jpg
64KB, 499x480px
>you will never play Pokémon Red/Blue for the first time again
>>
>experimented with so many glitches
>one day the save got corrupted
>all I have left is a missingno. and glitch dito I transferred to a Pokemon Yellow
>Dito just immediately crashes the game, Missingno. is essentially a normal pokemon now
>not enough motivation to play pokemon again to try again.
>>
File: 1427261815776.jpg (64KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1427261815776.jpg
64KB, 499x499px
>>47547228
>you will never play Pokémon Red/Blue for the first time
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>47547257
>>
>>47547026
If they zeroed it, you'd enounter a bunch of level 0 'M.
>>
>>47545814

It had a chance to. And i managed to make it crash my game many times.
>>
>>47547283
and when you do, it's based on your name right
I've had some names that get like polywirl and shit too
Thread posts: 102
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.