[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do you fags hate Ubuntu? I have a hard time believing some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 12

File: Ubuntu_13.10_release.png (1MB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Ubuntu_13.10_release.png
1MB, 1440x900px
Why do you fags hate Ubuntu?

I have a hard time believing some of you actually believe you aren't hipsters.
>>
File: lololol.jpg (36KB, 250x371px) Image search: [Google]
lololol.jpg
36KB, 250x371px
Because according to RMS, Ubuntu doesn't respect your privacy and uses your data to give you ads.

... And, that's it. I guess the only other reason people hate is because of it's popularity, and everyone here needs to find some obscure alternative.
>>
>>47544676
>Why do you fags hate Ubuntu?
Why are you presumptuous?
>>
>>47544676
people here overacts about everything they don't like, don't take it too seriously
>>
>>47544676

Have you considered purchasing the Amazon Fire phone?
>>
Better than Debian Arch and Fedora.
>>
>>47544676
Because Ubuntu does Linux minimally usable, then less h4xx0r and less Toy OS
>>
>>47544760

You're stupid.
>>
>>47544767
>source: my ass
>>
>>47544676
I use it to stream Windows games from my WIndows rig to my Linuxtop. Ubuntu is pretty nice and I like playing that Linux Kart game in split screen.
>>
I installed Xubuntu onto my thinkpad. I have no idea what I'm doing after switching from Windows. Should I use lubuntu instead or do they have similar system usage?

also how do you learn what the fuck to do with the terminal? I just use the software center for programs, but I think I'm handicapping myself. Or is there really no point for the average consumer to learn it?
>>
>>47544958
For the average human being, the terminal should only be used if you need to grab dependencies or shit that is outright not available on the software center.
>>
>>47544989
ok I've just been googling how to install things and copying their terminal commands, like google drive.
>>
>>47544989
Well apt-get is a pile of shit so they have to work around it without actually replacing it. You know your package manager sucks when there are a bunch of actively maintained wrappers and frontends that completely change the interface.
>>
>>47545006
>and copying their terminal commands
lel it's only a matter of time before you fuck your shit up, if you don't take the time to learn what you are actually doing.
>>
>>47544760
>Better than Debian
>So we took Debian, slapped on what's basically a Frankensteined monstrosity of KDE and Gnome as a DE, and included spyware to authenticate the windows experience.
>Better
>>
>>47545183
The software repository and hardware support out of the box are better on Ubuntu.
>>
>>47545209
This. Not to mention, you can install and use whatever DE you want.
>>
>>47545209
> aur
> archwiki
>>
>>47544958
If you're a new user, why the fuck would you start with the derivative xubuntu instead of the main distro?
>>
>>47544676
Ubuntu is great. The amazon search thing sucks, I agree, but it's literally a 5 second process in a very intuitive and easy-to-find setting panel to turn it off.
>>
>>47545309
>archwiki
Where the articles can't follow the updates of the system
>aur
>I want to get raped by a million of cooks
>>
>>47544676
Ububtu is fine. It's unity that sucks ass.

Gnome is so much better.
>>
>>47545316
because everyone says its lightweight
>>
>>47545316
By that argument they should install Debian, since Ubuntu is a Debian derivative.
>>
>>47545339
Not the guy you're replying to, but the Arch wiki has been very helpful to me across several distros. It has very helpful articles on a lot of things.
>>
>>47545309
AUR is full of broken packages and has no quality control. Its the reddit of repositories.

>This minecraft installer works great upvoted +1
>I tried to update and it broke plz halp!11
>>
>>47545386
I'm not denying that; ubuntu also has his wiki and their user forum is really helpful too.
>>
>>47545352
Ubuntu is by far the most popular Linux distro and it's community and online support are the best. If you're a beginner you should definitely start with Ubuntu. Decide for yourself whether or not you need a more 'lightweight' DE after you've actually tried Unity.
>>
Because I don't want to be a part of that family. I have my own already. Fuck your induction.
>>
who /ubuntuMATE/ here?
>>
If you're a ricer you can do a minimal install, follow some articles in the arch wiki or the ubuntu forums and get your archbuntu with better hardware support, nice font rendering out of the box, X autoconfiguration and all without the Arch headaches.
The only thing I miss of arch in Ubuntu is systemd
>>
>this entire thread
>implying you can't change desktop enviroments and you are stuck with unitry

F U C K
U
C
K

O F F
F
F
>>
Because Unity is the worst idea they've ever had.

Never mandatorily force someone to waste horizontal real estate on their monitors.

I tried to install other window managers and Unity refused to back down and started fighting with whatever I installed for dominance.

>Whose settings did you want to use?
>xubuntu-desktop?
>Too bad, you're on power-saver FOREVER now
>>
>>47544676
>Why do you fags hate Ubuntu?
It pissed me off when the dropped the perfection that was GNOME 2 for Unity
>>
>>47545470
Do you wanted that shit called GNOME 3 integrated?
>>
>muh unity
>muh GNOME3
cinnamon master race reporting
>>
>>47545465
I run Unity and it's great. A little 40-pixel bar on the side is basically nothing to me on my 2560x1600 screen.
>>
>>47545491
not to mention you can hide it lmao
>>
>>47544676
I don't hate Ubuntu. I just find it too locked down for my taste. Makes for a great intro distro, though.
>>
Because Mint just werks
>>
File: 182n7ksk0mvonjpg.jpg (182KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
182n7ksk0mvonjpg.jpg
182KB, 640x360px
>>47544676
https://youtu.be/CP8CNp-vksc

>inb4 b-but that was in the past anon!!
Merchant once, merchant forever.
>>
>>47545491
And the size of the bar can be changed
>>
>>47544676
Unity is great for me, just disable online search and set the side buttons on my mouse to trigger expose and workspaces switcher plus HUD is awesome for thing like using Lyx.
Of course if the only thing you do is ricing go for Arch.
>>
>>47545480
I wouldn't've called GNOME 2 perfection if I thought GNOME 3 was better
>>
>>47544989

I disagree. The software center hides a lot of information and is much slower than apt-get, and it's a pain to add repos, autoremove packages, and so on. If you just want to install Canonical-approved software it's fine, but you may as well get an iPad in that case.

You need apt-get for any real power. Synaptic is pretty cool, too, though slower than the terminal.
>>
>>47545520
>stallman talking
Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>47545531
>i don't know how to open the terminal emulator
>>
>>47545402
But most don't go as deep into the OS as Arch users do.
>>
>>47545555
Because they don't need to do that.
And by that logic, Arch users also doesn't go deep into the OS as LFS users do.
>>
I don't hate it but I don't use untity either.
To me it is all what was wrong with gnome and nothing really great.
I like the splash screen where you see hotkeys if you hold super but other than that I think it is a hassle to use.
>>
>>47545491
I disagree.

>>47545511
Hiding it is a terrible solution. I use the top-left to home my mouse, when it's not in a good spot on my mouse pad. The hot-corner will open when I do this. This can be turned off.

Also, when I actually DO want to hit the buttons on the unity bar, they're not somewhere accessible when I want them. I have to move the mouse more than usual and HOPE that it understand that I'm trying to reveal the bar. While Unity tries to figure this out, I have to wait to push a button.

If it weren't for the fact that I can do most of what I do from tty1-6, I wouldn't bother installing Ubuntu ever.
>>
I don't hate Ubuntu.
I just personally feel like I'm cheating myself using it. I'm smart enough to use Gentoo so use fucking Gentoo is my logic.
Before that it was Arch for years.
I bit the Gentoo meme for fun/challenge and once I figured it out I could never go back to Arch.

I use live distros for quick/various "other" tasks on the other hand.
I have no need for Ubuntu though. I understand people would use it out of easy-mode, lack of understanding. That's fine if you're okay with it. I'm just not for myself personally.
To each their own.
Meme distro wins for me.
>>
>>47545587
This.
>>
>>47545531
I think you overestimate how often users who don't know what software is installs software. The synaptic were great but it displayed too much information and didn't give you suggestions so the demographic didn't like it. It's a shame because it was a good alternative to aptitude.
>>
File: b8.png (46KB, 363x364px) Image search: [Google]
b8.png
46KB, 363x364px
>>47544676
>home folder on desktop right next to the home folder launcher
>>
Because you should be installing Debian Sid instead.
Enjoy Cannonical's cock
>>
>>47544676
Because Arch exists
>>
>>47545646
>folder
Where do you think you are?
>>
>>47545648
>canonical is BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD
This is what the average freetard thinks.
>>
File: Selection_010.png (46KB, 236x203px)
Selection_010.png
46KB, 236x203px
>>47545656
I'm not familiar with this maymay.
>>
>>47545662
You're a fucking moron if you don't think so as well.
Making an easy to use distro is one thing, but Canny is making ubongo a giant fucking tumor.
That being said if you want debian install debian, if you want just werkz install Mint.
>>
>>47545690
Mint is not secure. They hold back security updates for 1-2 months for some reason.
>>
>>47545690
>you're a fucking moron if you don't think like me
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>47545690
>Canny ubongo werkz.
>You're a fucking moron.
>>
>>47545316
Dude Xubuntu is easy for a beginner
>>
>>47545737
Why?
>>
>>47545567
Exactly. Ubuntu is a great operating system for those who just want an operating system. Arch is for those who are interested in what makes the operating system work. And LFS is for masochists who want to abuse themselves by building an operating system from the ground up.
>>
>not using Crunchbang
Too bad it's not being developed anymore
>>
>>47545686
The joke is that people on /g/ sometimes go ape shit when people refer to directories as folders.
>>
>>47545741

All the user-friendly tools of Ubuntu with a simpler (and more Windows-like) UI and less bloat.
>>
>>47545747
>debian was abandoned
>>
>>47545690
>Making an easy to use distro is one thing, but Canny is making ubongo a giant fucking tumor.

How
>>
>>47545777
Is that why? So they're not gonna use Debian for their next project or whatever?
>>
>>47545777

#! isn't being developed. That's not a major problem because the packages almost all come from normal Debian repos, but they might not have perfect compatibility in the future.

I really love #!. Such a shame OpenBox gets screen tearing on my laptop.
>>
>>47545737
It's what I used, simple point and click interface and a great file manager can't get too much wrong
>>
>>47545776
Oh, yeah.
The only problem I have about xubuntu is when they get problems with the compositor, but that is responsability of XFCE team
>>
why would I want a shit load of unnecessary software pre installed with my operating system
>>
>>47545791
>>47545795
>I can't get a joke
>>
>>47545791

You seriously think Debian has been abandoned? No. It was a joke. #! is Debian-based, so you can keep updating #! since Debian is still being developed.
>>
>>47545791
Debbie was the name of the distro's creator's ex, wasn't it? He moved on, so did everyone else.
>>
>>47545776
>less bloat
Whatever the fuck that means. I ran XFCE + AWN for quite awhile on my main system. It was fine, but I don't notice any performance difference on my Unity 7 (14.04.2 LTS) system.

Chances are you're going to be installing the Gnome and KDE libraries anyway to get all the best Linux applications working.
>>
File: 1336871823097.gif (2MB, 500x391px) Image search: [Google]
1336871823097.gif
2MB, 500x391px
>>47545791
No, his point was that Crunchbang is literally just Debian + some config files for rice, and you can in fact get the exact same experience by copying and pasting those configs to a normal debian install
>>
>>47545798

I never had problems with the compositor. The only problem I have with it is that moving windows around on the panel doesn't always work correctly.
>>
>>47545804
I thought they meant that the Crunchbang devs stopped because fuck Debian or something and that their new project would stray from it.
I'm still using it right now anyway
>>
>>47545695
>They hold back security updates for 1-2 months for some reason.
Probably because that is how they keep it fucking stable and just werk'ing.
>>
>>47545809

I believe Unity itself is slow and bloated. So many animations and so much transparency and nonsense that just slows down old machines.

You wouldn't notice any performance difference on a good machine, but on an old one you would.
>>
>>47545817
Do you not get tearing with xfwm compositor?
How?
>>
>>47545825

There's only one #! dev, I believe. He just got tired of it and thinks it isn't a terribly interesting distro since it's just a pre-riced OpenBox.

But it's a very good pre-riced OpenBox, so I like it.
>>
>>47545809
Well I got Xubuntu minimal which is far less bloated than vanilla Ubuntu
>>
>>47545812
>installed Debian on a Thinkpad
>couldn't see my wireless network
>had to be wired
>couldn't ever get it to detect any wireless networks
>install Crunchbang
>it's fine
o-okay
>>
>>47545832

What kind of GPU do you have?

I found a good fix for Nvidia cards. I'll look through my browser history to find it.
>>
>>47545853
A shitty optimus laptop with nvidia and intel.
Free or propietary drivers, the shitty composer teared like a god. So I replaced that with openbox and compton.
>>
>>47545847
Stupid question, but since Hashtag-Exclamation Point is a Debian fork you can still update it right?
>>
>>47545831
Okay fair point. My system is a core i3 4150 with gtx 580 and 8GB RAM. Probably worth about $650 if I had to replace it today. Maybe XFCE is more important for laptop users.
>>
>>47545852
same
>>
>>47545852
>install mint on laptop
>install takes literally like 3-4 mins
>reboot
>everything JustWerkz™ the first time
o-okay
>>
Nowaday, I can't find anything better than Ubuntu to use.
>>
>>47545852
That's because Debian licks the arsehole of Stallman and only ships free drivers.
Stallman hates them anyways.
>>
File: pizza-cat.png (912KB, 816x612px) Image search: [Google]
pizza-cat.png
912KB, 816x612px
because I want to pirate windows video games and not have it take me fucking 6 hours for me to get it to run correctly.
>>
>>47545868

I don't remember what I did. I do know that I was able to fix it in videos by using smplayer and going to options -> preferences -> general -> video -> output driver -> gl (fast).

I don't remember the fix, though. I think it involved updating my drivers to a more recent version than is in the repos.
>>
>>47545910
Who told you that? Do you know you can enable non-free repository in Debian and install everything?
>>
>>47545935
Yeah, is for that Stallman hates Debian.
But still the base install and the project per se is very FSF friendly.
>>
>>47545903
ubuntu is better than mint

mint is buggier
>>
>>47544676
Because I hate Linux®. Ubuntu™ is just the worst parts of Linux® rolled into an OS.
>>
>>47545969
He loves those trademark symbols!
>>
>>47545967
>bullshit.txt
The only thing that has ever not worked for me in mint is back in like mint 14 days, the screen brightness on startup was all the way dark. Easily fixed in a config file by simply changing a number, and the built in backup tool doesn't work for shit. And the brightness thing was fixed in mint 16. Other than that I have found mint to be much more useful than ubuntu. Though they are basically the same thing anyways. Call mint bloated, but it comes with better and useful prepackaged packages.
>>
>>47545946
"Hate" isn't really accurate, he just recognizes it as not fully free under his definitions.
He'd still probably trade anything for the majority of people to use something like Debian rather than Windows.
>>
The only thing I hate of canonical is they ditching of wayland.
Seriously, Unity or Compiz becoming a wayland compositor could kickstart wayland usage in a great degree.
>>
>>47546015
Have you ever been able to get wayland working?
Have you ever try Mir?
Now, tell me why you love wayland and hate Mir?
>>
>>47546013
I normally talk with hyperboles and I really don't like Stallman thinking too much. But I accept your point. You're right.
>>
>>47546013
I want you to send him an email and ask him that.
>>
>>47546004
I use them to denote something as a corporate tool, used by cult-like "companies" to destroy freedom.
>>
>>47546031
Great. Maybe next time you post, you should explain that. Fucking retard.
>>
>>47546009
Just speaking from my experience.

I can install ubuntu and everything will work right out of the box -- printers, scanners, network adapters, etc.

Mint requires tinkering to get shit running.
>>
>>47546024
>Have you ever been able to get wayland working?
Yes. Was very easy
>Have you ever try Mir?
Mir doesn't exists.
>Now, tell me why you love wayland and hate Mir?
Is not X
Is very easy to get working with KMS compatible drivers
Is a compositor, so there is not tearing
Doesn't include the old as fuck shit of X
Is not X.
>>
>>47546055
Just from my experience I can install Debian and everything will work right out of the box
>>
>>47546077
What is your hardware?
>>
>>47546055
>>47546077
Just from my experience, I can install Mint and everything works right out of the box, (since 16)
>>
Just from my experience, I can install Arch, and all the core functions work out of the box.
>>
>>47544676
I like Ubuntu and Mint and so do various family members whose computers I installed them on after they kept fucking up Windows and asking me to fix it.
>>
>>47546077
Last time I tried to install Debian no GUI would load and trying to download and use several WMs and DEs didn't work either
>>
>>47546085
Old Lenovo Thinkcentre, also some sort of Dell but I gave that back to my roommate.
>>
>>47544676
The inherent problem with all Linux distros is that LibreOffice has very poor document and printing support. I want to use Ubuntu as my main, it is very polished has better visual quality than Windows, but it is ironically crippled by its own philosophy.
>>
>>47546026
Fair enough. I don't particularly agree with him on Debian and similar cases either.
His complaints about them hosting the proprietary software repos on their main servers is pretty autistic and sounds like a kid complaining that his food is touching on his plate.
And the fact that Debian will recommend installing proprietary blobs in order to get your shit running on a new install is basically a requirement for a painless install. At least until hardware specifically for desktop linux starts being made frequently, which will probably be never.

>>47546030
He answers everything so there's no reason not to. He doesn't really strike me as an "all or nothing" kind of guy though considering he's used hardware with proprietary code before because there's no real alternative.
>>
>>47546117
That means you probably installed it wrong.
>>
>>47546077
I tried installing debian weezy on my laptop and the touchpad wouldn't work.
>>
>>47546117
lmao you should prob kill yourself then
>>
>>47546129
Install office via playonlinux no config required
>>
I'm currently using mint+kde and i'm loving it, you get the support of running ubuntu while getting a pretty nice Desktop Environment
>>
>>47546144
Shut up nerd ill kill ur gay butthole
>>
>>47544676
Because unity is inferior to gnome 2 and a huge waste of time and effort
>>
>>47544958
Lubuntu is more lightweight, but Unity feels faster and more efficient to use for me. It's just a better and more modern DE.
>>
>>47546129
>poor document and printing support
And eats documents.
The fucker destroyed a presentation I was working, and every time I tried to fix in libreoffice, insisted on eat my progress.
>>
>>47546129
>>47546253
MS and Google are moving more and more to the cloud. Google docs and MS Office online are both usable in Linux, afaik.
>>
>>47544676
I don't hate Ubuntu. I used it for 4 years before changing to a rolling release distro. I still recommend it to inexperienced computer people who want to switch to Linux.
>>
>>47546287
>Google docs and MS Office online are both usable in Linux, afaik.
They are. Though powerpoint online is much more shit than the actual power point software.
>>
>>47545183
>Better than Debian
atleast it comes with enough drivers to even boot
>>
Shitty default DE, spyware, and annoying marketing. Don't hate it though, I just don't care about it
>>
>>47545183
>spyware
>because Stallman says that
0/10
>>
>>47546337
They literally recorded search results in your own computer and sent them to third parties. That is spyware, period. This isn't some rms meme.
>>
You idiots know you can the desktop environment and privacy setting in Ubuntu right?

RIGHT?
>>
>>47546362
Nah, that's only adware. Is bad, I know, but isn't spyware.
>>
>>47546391
>but muh botnet
>>
>>47546391
Why should I support a company by using their product were the base configuration is malicious?
>>
>>47546391
Yes, but you can also just get a different distro and not keep telling distro managers it's OK to do that shit by contributing to their statistics of users.

Not all, but a fair portion of Linux users use it for idealistic or philosophical reasons in the first place anyway. Do you really expect them to just not care that the defaults are bad, as long as they can personally turn it off, and use their software anyway?
>>
Windows defaults have been bad since at least XP. Hasn't stopped 80% of PC users from using that shit.
>>
>>47546496
but a survey in 2010 showed that 80% of those people are also homeless so what the fuck do they know
>>
>>47546496
Many users don't even know there are alternatives. It would be a pretty unfair comparison
>>
>>47546467
The problem is always in this cases the fuckers who whine are the ones who actually DOESN'T use the intended product.
CRUXfags, ricerfags, suckless fags cried because systemd, and they don't use it or use any software that depends of it.
Archfags and other linux distros users cries because Ubuntu display Amazon queries doing in a Canonical server.
They fell they privacy/choice invaded when they aren't even affected.
>>
File: Screenshot 2015-01-17 17.31.55.png (519KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2015-01-17 17.31.55.png
519KB, 1600x900px
>>47544958
Mint is also really good, you should try it.

im using W10 and Mint 17.1 right now
>>
>>47546524
What's your point?

Of course all the complaining is going to come from people who don't use ubuntu, because we are free to switch Linux distros at any time. Why the hell would someone use a distro that constantly makes them complain?

OP's question wasn't directed at "Ubuntu users", it was directed at "Linux users" and why they don't like Ubuntu.
>>
>>47546565
My point is you can't cry.
Period.
>>
>>47546524
But the FOSS community is affected. It hurts the goal that many of these people try to fight for. Ubuntu especially was the biggest distro around, and a lot of people were proud of its success, so they were understandably pissed when they decide to bundle adware in with their OS.
>>
>>47546585
I find that pretty ironical anyways.
>>
>>47546578
>My point is you can't cry. Period.
Because we don't use ubuntu right?

That makes absolutely no sense.
You have no point
>>
>>47546611
Yeah.
If you can't make sense of it, perfectly.
I will deal with it.
>>
>>47544989
if you need help with the usage of a program use man (name of program) in terminal
>>
>>47546421
>>47546457
>>47546467
How else are they gonna make money to keep improving future distros and updates??

Atleast they give us the option to change settings
>>
>>47546603
Ironical isn't a word
>>
File: Showing-Details-Preview-Pane.png (97KB, 599x361px) Image search: [Google]
Showing-Details-Preview-Pane.png
97KB, 599x361px
>>47545903
As a mint user on 1Gen X1 Carbon here is a list of what does not work:
1. Wireless capped at 50 megabit (with tinkering) blame drivers

2. Mint network manager cannot connect to 802.11x (RADIUS) wifi, blaming UI.

3. Login with fingerprint-gui from logged out state (not locked) does not work (error password incorrect) blame fingerprint-gui (incompatible). Can be fixed by installing lightdm or other compatible login managers.

4. Retarded file manager does not have file previews like pic related.
>>
>>47546625
Man pages still have problems. At least in the BSD they are fucking consistents.
>>
>>47546630
Same way every other distro does it, donations. You do not compromise your users privacy.
>>
>>47546634
>4. Retarded file manager does not have file previews like pic related.
Isn't that a normal gnu/linux problem that plauges the file managers that come with most distros.
>>
>>47546630
But that's not what this thread is about.

It's about why Linux users here don't like Ubuntu.
If we were judging ubuntu against some completely unfair standard then fine, what you say makes sense.
But we are simply comparing ubuntu to the standards of other Linux distros as Linux users, just as we would judge any other Linux distro.

If Ubuntu has _different_ goals, which requires them to need to make more money by selling your private data, then you can't blame _Linux users_ for disliking those differences
>>
>>47546630
Every other Gnu/Linux distro does not have this problem.
Also I bet you think μtorrent was justified in installing a bitcoin miner in an update even though it's already filled with adware.
>>
>>47546669
>judging a distro against a standard
What standard?
>>
File: 1421014467970.png (2MB, 5499x3891px) Image search: [Google]
1421014467970.png
2MB, 5499x3891px
>>47546663
Dolphin file manager does have it so IDK. Is it like impossible to program or something?!
>>
>>47546680
Other Linux distros...
I thought that was painfully obvious. My mistake
>>
>>47546634
Wtf, I have the file previews on mint 17? Not thumbnails, but previews, yes.
>>
>>47546695
Well you do have it in the file picker when you for example pick a pic for 4chan in chrome.
>>
>>47546686
The problem is "other linux distros" is a weak standard. All distros have different goals.
>>
>>47544676
I've been using 14.04 on my main computer since its release.
I found it very unstable lately (past 1-2 months), plymouthd is crashing on a daily basis since an update.
>>
Started using ubuntu around 2008, then unity appeared. Fiddled with it for a few days, felt like shoving a cactus up my ass. Fuck it, tried Mint Xfce and everything felt normal again. Never looked back.
>>
File: 1428858705563.webm (832KB, 1123x1014px)
1428858705563.webm
832KB, 1123x1014px
>>47546634
>>47546663
A problem with GTK.
There's a patch for it https://gist.github.com/ahodesuka/01213036b58e510dc074
>>
>>47546725
14.04.2 here and no problems. I have nosplash set so maybe I'm not using plymouthd.
>>
Will GTK get ditched someday?
>>
>>47546705
There are certain areas where Linux distros are a lot more similar than they are different.

Not selling search information users make on their private filesystem is one of those things.
Ubuntu is definitely an outlier in that regard
>>
>>47546747
At least Canonical listened and fixed it.
>>
>>47544989
>For the average human being

Complete bullshit. Millions and millions of young men use computers for far more than facebook machines, and you'll need to learn to use the terminal if you want to use any linux distro beyond the most extremely mundane of uses.
>>
File: 123.jpg (88KB, 516x207px) Image search: [Google]
123.jpg
88KB, 516x207px
Trying 15.04 on a vm and doesn't seem so bad. There's still this weird thing going I remember happening on 14.04 as well, whenever you open a menú firefox skips down a little and stays like that until you restart it.

Anyone have a clue? Happens on different machines as well...
>>
>>47546766
And they still aren't a mayority.
>>
>>47546766
>complete bullshit
how the fuck so? Most people only need their computer to: check email, browse internet, go on youtube, use an office suite, and watch videos and movies, which is now the same thing as browsing the internet/youtube thanks to netflix and what not. You don't need to be able to use a terminal to do that.
>>
>>47544676
/g/ doesnt collectively hate ubuntu, we hate unity
most ubuntu flavors are fantastic just werkz distros
>>
>>47546735
Yeah, thats not what i meant, i was talking about the preview plane on the right side when browsing files in Nemo, not the upload file picker.
>>
>>47544676
a lot of useless shit at default. i prefer to install minimal sid netinst+download packages i need, not install system and then remove tons of useless things.

Not like i hate it, i just wouldn't choose it.
Thread posts: 186
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.