[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Extra juicy! | Home]

>People expecting to have a job waiting for them after getting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 337
Thread images: 20

File: nope.png (466KB, 830x725px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
nope.png
466KB, 830x725px
>People expecting to have a job waiting for them after getting an IT degree
>News media actually paying attention to these people

What happened, at what point did we disillusion people into think that if they just attended college for a degree with no passion for real self-improvement, that they could automatically be offered a better future?
>>
>>47519808
people think degrees = jobs, when actually the key to getting a job is to not be completly fucking retarded.
>>
>Associate degree is equivalent to a foundation degree

Wow, it's fucking nothing.
>>
>>47519808
>shit college
>associates degree

That's why
>>
>>47519854
what's a foundation degree?
>>
>Americans love politicians that outsource labor
>complain they're unemployed
>>
I still don't understand why I'm forced to learn General Education shit if I'm just studying to be someone's fuccboi programmer for the next 3-5 years.
>>
>>47519871

UK equivalent of associate degree, only time I've heard of people doing a foundation degree is when they fuck up at school and can't do a real degree so they do a foundation then do a real degree after, which this guy didn't do after, he went out to work.
>>
Isn't A+ all Geek Squad requires? He could have paid $150 or however much it costs to take the test and saved all of that money.
>>
>>47519899

In all fairness, US companies only outsource jobs that entitled lazy Americans wouldn't do anyways.
>>
>>47519808
>Corinthian

Putting that on your resume is worse than no college.
>>
>>47519808

>implying you need to know anything about tech to work at best buy
>implying it's not just overselling and fear / ignorance based selling tactics
>>
For the cross on his neck and hillbilly state I bet this dumb fuck votes republican
>>
>>47519920

It's funny because I know plenty of people in IT who only attended community college and just went for a shit ton of certs instead.
>>
>Everest College
Hahahhahahhaha

>applied for Geek Squad
Jesus fucking christ, you don't even need to be a high school graduate for that shit.
>>
>spending 37,000k for an AS degree

what the fug

i have an AS degree in computer science and i spent maybe 8k max not including books.
>>
>>47519925
99% of programmers in /g/ would love to get code monkey labour companies outsource to India, tho
>>
>>47519808
Alright... this fag is 33 years old an the only thing in his resume are 2 years IT crash course. And he honestly wonders why he doesn't get a job?
>>
>>47519808
If you dont get Coop or internship experience especially in College where they specialize in such things, you are doing it wrong.

You want to get as much experience as you can and obviously don't hold your breath for a job.
>>
>>47519808
>hey uhh, i got this really specialized IT certification, can i work at your sales job?

whats your sales experience

>i uhhh,,, i worked at a pizza place as a cook

get out of my store
>>
>>47519992

>Implying Americans actually want to code

Most of them just want to "architect" shit and make design choices, have someone else deal with all the actual block-building and near-infinite testing and patching.
>>
>>47519915
ah ok. people do that here too but not getting the full degree after is real dumb. you can't just get by on an associates anymore
>>
>>47519976

I'd reckon that nowadays, you probably get 5+ applications from people who have a Bachelors.

The education/degree bubble is real, there's no way this country is going to sustain itself for long. We're going to reach Japan levels of student suicide rates soon.
>>
>network administration
>2 year 'degree'

Yeah, no.
>>
That's not computer science...
>>
>>47520104
They offered my high school dropout ass a job, this guy got a fake degree from a scam school and no one will hire him purely because of that.
>>
>>47519925
There are very few jobs Americans wouldn't do. Wouldn't do for twenty five cents an hour maybe. And that's why every time you call 1800Whateve you get to deal with an Indian who barely speaks english and has no fucking clue what he's doing.
>>
Not going to lie. This dude messed up in some things like going to a for profit school, but I still feel bad for him.

>>47520111
I have friends with 2 year Network degrees that have jobs. Not programming jobs, but decently paying IT jobs. OP's dude messed up because he went to a for profit school, not a real community college at least.
>>
>>47519920
>He could have paid $150 or however much it costs to take the test

That is assuming he could pass the test.
>>
>>47520139

Because your friends have skills.
As do tech savvy kids fresh out of highschool.

Nothing to do with their "degree".
>>
>>47520127

There are actually a fuckton of jobs that American's won't due because of how society frowns upon them.

The whole mindset of the country is to "work smart, not hard", and pushes everyone to move out of hard labor to white-collar office jobs, "You gotta get a degree to have a better life", etc.
>>
>>47519808

>For-Profit university

First Mistake

>Associate degree

Second mistake, if you start something, finish it because a Associate of Network Admin =/= Bachelor of Computer Science, not even close, specially from for-profit university

Third, a degree doesn't guarantee a job, what guarantees a job is doing internships and getting job offers before you graduate, or proving you have the necessary skills, which often are not part of the degree, for the job you want to apply, as well as show you have the necessary attitude
>>
>>47520198
Maybe in your suburb. Ditches got dug, rooms got cleaned, crops got picked, and yards got mowed long before the tide of mexicans showed up.
And if your talking about manufacturing or call center shit, dude even the people outsourcing those jobs admit it's all about that slave labor costs.
>>
>>47519920
My understanding is Geek Squad doesn't give a shit about certs or degrees. They give you a written test, the correct answers aren't all right (More RAM = Computer is faster, in 10,000% of cases for example) and are far more concerned about your social skills and ability to upsell then they are about if you can fix a computer.
>>
>>47520284

I live in California so all those jobs are done by no spek ingles mexicans.
>>
UK-fag here.
What's all this "for-profit" shit all about?
>>
>Network Administration
Why the fuck call it computer science? dumbass reporters

Don't get me wrong networks are cool, but it's harder to find a job. If he studied software engineering then he would've most likely landed a job.
>>
I dislike people who just go to college without having a personal passion for technology just as much as any of you, but if you guys seriously defend the current education system in conjunction with the expectations of employers nowadays, then you are basically the employment equivalent of a cuckold.

I can absolutely understand the complains people like the guy in the OP are voicing. What is the point of going to college in the first place and wasting thousands of dollars as well as multiple years of your life if in the end, employers will just EXPECT you to have endless amounts of job experience and numerous private projects anyways? I understand that IT-related college degrees barely teach the students anything that they actually need to know in order to operate in the job market out there, but doesn't this in itself show that there is something wrong with our education system, rather than the people who fall victim to it?

If employers already expect applicants to do so much autodidactic stuff, then why not just give us the option to teach ourselves right from the getgo? The IT stuff that you learn in college can easily be learned on your own, propably much faster and more efficient because you don't have to deal with all the bullshit co-students and mandatory arts courses. Instead, employers virtually force you to go to college for ceremonial reasons so in the end you can show them your piece of papier with "degree" written on it. If it is practical experience they are looking for, why not just drop the bullshit and stop demanding people to have degrees in the first place?
>>
>>47520374
it's a scam college where they charge you out the ass for a useless degree

>>47520379
>mfw i'm studying for my CCNA
>people keep telling me software engineering has too many people
>then other people tell me networking has too many people
>idk who to believe since all these people already have jobs

what the fug guys i just don't want to be a NEET anymore
>>
/g/, I was thinking of majoring in CE, am I fucked/is that not a lucrative field?
>>
>>47519808
>$37000

Holy fucking shit America. Get your shit together!
>>
>>47520409
Who cares about how many people there are as long as you get a damn degree saying you're a Software Engineer?

You can study at home and never show up for class for all anyone cares, just study and pass your exams so you can get a job. Then you'll actually start learning to program rather than memorizing the syntax and making yet another linked list.
>>
>>47519920
They're not concerned with certs or degrees. They're concerned with people skills. They have a special help line and tech forums for help on repairs.
>>
>>47520434

It's only lucrative if you're at the top 1% of your class, otherwise you're at the risk of having your whole department liquidated because apple announced a new product or your specialize technology becomes out of date.
>>
>>47520326
And they used to be done by poor white trash and black people. Cali has always had Mexicans for the really love level shit, so it doesn't seem as drastic there. But my entire like I never saw Mexicans anywhere. I knew one, Jose, and he was third generation and whiter then me.
In the last ten years Mexicans do all manual labor here, in the last five if you don't speak spanish you don't need to worry about working anywhere that has "Yard" or "Plant" in it's title.

Problem is, all the poor white trash and black people who did those jobs before the Mexicans never went anywhere. They just lost their jobs. Their kids? Never had those jobs.

And then in the cities you have the factories that used to employee hundreds of not thousands of the lower class now rusting relics in the middle of the crack ghetto.
>>
>>47520471
Fuck. Is there any 'safe' /g/ field?
>>
>>47519808
>for-profit shitty college
jej, he was obviously too retarded even for Best Buy.
>>
>>47520447
too bad i don't have the money for a four year university
>>
Also most of these people who get these fucking computer science degrees don't actually know how to fix shit. I worked with one who had a degree and he barely understood how a browser worked. The trend I see with those types is that they are taught to memorize shit but never taught what it means or how to use the information.
>>
>$37000
>>
>>47520104
>We're going to reach Japan levels of student suicide rates soon.

No. Japanese/Korean suicide rates are caused by very different circumstances rooted in a very different culture.
>>
>>47520477

The key word here is "used to be", the mentality of society can change drastically every 20 years.

Right now in 2015, no one wants to have a future in low level labor shit if they can't help it.

>>47520490

There is no safe /g/ field, if you're good at programming, engineering, or whatever other skill you will always find work. This means being flexible enough to learn whenever and whatever you have to if your job demands it.
>>
>>47520198
>this nigga never watched dirty jobs.
>>
>>47519836
Under rated post. Anyone who isn't clinically retarded can get a college degree nowadays. Colleges have become diploma mills for the most part. I am RF technician but I work with IT quite a bit. I know most manages would hire someone with 4 years experience and certifications over someone fresh out of college with a degree. Just cause you have a degree doesn't mean you know what you are doing.

As for him not being able to get a job at Geek Squad...of course he won't they don't want real IT people rather some schmuck they can pay $9 an hour to sell shit instead of repairing things.
>>
>>47520522

Very few people on that show are in their mid-20's

I'm not talking about 40+ people who've been working most of their lives, i'm talking about the mentality of the new generation.
>>
>>47519808
Some associates are actually valuable. They teach you the code monkey aspects without the common core adding more time. The problem with most programs is they don't offer an internship course. The CC I work at requires the internship, so most of our graduates have a job lined up after they get their degree, or at least have that work experience.

People also need to realize that nobody cares what you did in school. They care about what you do in your free time. If you don't have projects you can show off or code you can show you contributed to, you won't make it far.
>>
>>47519903
see >>47519836

Employers want people who have general skills and aren't retarded socially or practically. That is why there is still some value in gen ed.
>>
>>47520516

It's mostly performance stress though. I've got a Korean roommate. His entire life is literally no-fun-all-study. Half the time he doesn't even do anything when he studies because he's too overloaded to think. When he has an actual day off he will sleep for 36 hours solid.

[spoiler]The envy in his eyes when I play Starcraft is palpable.[/spoiler]
>>
>>47520518
I don't mind learning new shit, but the idea that I could go from employed to unemployed that easily is a bit scary.
>>
>>47520522

Also, from the word of Mike Row himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzKzu86Agg0

>"There is a real disconnect in the way that we educate vis-a-vis the opportunities that are available. You have - right now - about 3 million jobs that can't be filled," he says, talking about openings in traditional trades ranging from construction to welding to plumbing. "Jobs that typically parents' don't sit down with their kids and say, 'Look, if all goes well, this is what you are going to do.'"
>>
>>47520502
Oh... sorry bro

I studied for 4 years for free in Finland and received 480 euros per month as student support.
>>
>>47520518
There's a shit ton of programming jobs for experienced people.


Really, if you have 3 or more years of experienced, you are golden. You can get a job easily and hop around companies every 2-3 years to get more money.

The problem is that it's hard to get those 3 years. Getting a junior dev job is not easy anymore.
>>
>>47520550
>general skills

No they don't. They don't give a fucking shit about general skills. They want somebody they don't have to spend any time or money training. They want experienced specialists.
>>
>>47519978
Yeah, my CC costs $1.5k per semester, so for two years it would only be roughly $6k.

>>47519808
>for-profit school
There we go.
>>
>>47519808
>Computer Science degree
>IT
>Not Programming
>>
>>47520561
Skilled labor is actually a pretty lucrative field.
Good money can be made.
>>
>>47520545
>If you don't have projects you can show off or code you can show you contributed to, you won't make it far.

>26
>AS degree in CS
>NEET
>forgot everything I learned in school
>no money for university

should i just an hero now or what

>>47520563
fuck sometimes i wished i lived in europe for shit like this.
>>
>>47520559

You shouldn't be, everytime you switch jobs in tech, your pay goes up by like 25% on average from your previous employment.

Lots of people reccomend that you only work 3-5 years at a company before you move on to a new one if you want to keep your rate of growth high.
>>
>>47520409
>charge you out the ass for a useless degree
Sounds like UK university
>>
>>47520577
>should i just an hero now or what

Make an iPhone game, get it to go viral, and rake in $100,000 a day in ad revenue.
>>
>>47520578
So, as long as I keep on top of things and remain educated in my field, I'll be okay?
>>
>>47520592
Yes, you are not done after college. You are just getting started. Keep up with the latest languages, frameworks, and technologies.
>>
File: 1422004720730.png (4KB, 207x237px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1422004720730.png
4KB, 207x237px
>>47520578

THIS is the exact reason that nobody can get an entry level job without 5 years of experience, and THIS is the exact reason the student loan bubble is going to catastrophically collapse in the next few decades.
>>
Let's not beat around the bush here.
The reason he was not hired is because he identifies as male and has light colored skin.
>>
>>47520592

Yeah, if you think about it, half the people who do software will be fuckups, and other half of the people who aren't fuckups will eventually want to switch companies since climbing the ladder in Tech is non-existed.

The turn-over rate for software engineering/IT/programming is super high, so there's always jobs available because people are leaving or being fired. The #1 quality that a hiring manager looks for is someone who is dependable.
>>
>>47520600
Okay, I knew that. The way anon phrased it, it was like 'if you don't consistently ace every single class ever, you will be destroyed'
>>
>>47520559
Welcome to the software/technology sector. The industry has always been all over the place especially with how fast it updates & advances. People don't know this for some reason and shit themselves when they get in.

It isn't like traditional engineering jobs where there are fairly reasonable constants. A mechanical or electrical engineer that graduated ten or even twenty years ago could still (with occasional brush up courses and maybe seminars) could still perform at the same level as a graduate today. Technology is not the same and I'm not sure it ever will. The same could be said about programmers of yester years, it's just that you never hear about the people who just said "fuck it" and left such an erratic industry.
>>
>>47520603
Whose fault is it? Why would you hire a new grad when you can hire someone with experienced for less than it costs to train the new guy?
>>
File: 1428888805155.jpg (96KB, 697x722px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1428888805155.jpg
96KB, 697x722px
>>47520615
no but really though
>stopped specifying gender and race on sites that ask
>been getting more calls for interviews
>>
>>47520621

Hardware Engineering and Computer Engineering has this culture, software engineering and IT doesn't.

Because the mentality is that if you fuckup in hardware/software, you can cause catastrophic results or delays in project time.

For Software it's not as bad to fix a new-comer's mistake.
>>
>>47520623
I can't imagine going from a web developer in 2000 to one in 2015. I'm sure a lot of people said "fuck it" and moved to management.
>>
>>47520627

It's nobody's "fault", unless you feel like blaming some bullshit like "Capitalism did it." Assigning blame implies that there's something you can DO about it.

We can't do a god damn thing about it. The game is broke and soon the economy will be too.
>>
>>47520577
If you have the degree already, then just work on contributing to projects on Github. Ideally you work on projects while you're still in school so you have something to show off once you graduate and land you a job. It's never too late to build a portfolio, it just takes longer.
>>
>>47520655
In my experience it's a combination of luck and skill, like anything else.

A lot of my friends got great jobs out of school because their school had great connections with a few companies. Or they have prestige.

My school has none and the career fairs are only for business jobs, so I do stuff for my portfolio to have at least something to put on my resume (and go to job fairs as well).

It's annoying because I do a lot of stuff outside of class and have a decent grasp on stuff but it seems like none of that matters and I am in a similar position to the dude who barely passes classes.
>>
>>47520633
>name isn't clearly gendered
>dont list gender or race anywhere
>get lots of interviews
>>
File: image.jpg (65KB, 489x559px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 489x559px
>mfw muh daddy got me an internship out of high school at a big company.
>mfw I'm going to a great school
>mfw I made so many connections I can get a job so damn easily.
>>
>>47519808
>Man cannot get a job!
>OMG!
How is this news? There are a few million people out there who also do not have jobs.
>>
>>47520567
How cute, you've never had a job have you? If you did you'd see the masses of fucking retards they hire that you have to clean up after.
>>
>>47520575
>Skilled labor is actually a pretty lucrative field.
>Good money can be made.

This. The literal best thing I ever did was get a vocational education in Welding (t-thanks 4chan) and an associates in Paramedical EMS. I will literally ALWAYS have a job. I could be laid off tomorrow and I'd be able to choose between Welding or Paramedical Services. Those kinds of jobs will NEVER be short on applicants unless the media brings light to it and a million people suddenly enroll.
>>
>>47520062

PREACH IT BRUH
>>
>>47520701

Web article writers usually have an agenda and will just write dog shit about that agenda until it floods public opinion.
>>
>>47520633
>put down that I am a black polysexual woman
>get guaranteed interviews
>they're always shocked that I am a white as the snow male and confront me about it
>say that I am trans black and it's racist to even question my race and gender in such a way and storm out
>I just do this for fun because I already have a steady job
>>
>>47520741
no one does this you retard

if you do you might actually be mentally ill
>>
>>47520741

I was thinking about changing my last name to hispanic and say that my surrogate mother was philipino.
>>
File: 1428788653169.jpg (39KB, 371x596px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1428788653169.jpg
39KB, 371x596px
>>47519808
>2-year course on network administration
>computer science
>computer-science rather
>>
>>47520567

> They don't want someone they have to train

I work for one of the largest companies in the world.

A decent portion of my time is done on training and when I was first hired all of it was for the first two months.

They want to teach employees how to do things their way. They also have all this safety course shit that is just about avoiding lawsuits incase you fall off a ladder.
>>
>>47520567

My company did this one time, we hired a web developer for dirt cheap out of Argentina to get work done.

For 2 years we've been trying to clean up his shit in a parallel to a live system because we can't just shut it off for a week.

It's a fucking nightmare, we're probably in 2-3x in net loss for this project in comparison to what we saved. You can't just "sue" someone to make a fucked up system go away like with debt, this shit will follow you forever.
>>
>>47520817
>work for one of the largest companies in the world.
There you go. Most companies (especially pure tech companies) are not large. They are small-medium and need people that can be productive ASAP.
>>
>apply for job
>you don't have the skills we need

>go to college
>apply for job
>you don't have experience

>give up
>'fucking neet'

you can't even give up, system is busted
>>
>for profit college
Found your problem
>>
I'm not worried about that. Internship every summer + double major, I'll have a job no matter what.
>>
>>47520561
>>47520575

Cute/hot women don't fuck anyone working manual labor unless they're from Texas. Good luck filling those jobs with Goyim.

And women from Texas are trash so fuck that.
>>
>>47520127

Also no one wants to do telemarking because its a shitty job where you interrupt people and try to trick them into spending money they don't want to spend.
>>
>>47519836
Except unless you already have experience (catch22) you need a degree + a portfolio of side projects you did in college + internships + the skill to back it up.

You'd have to be the creator of a successful project or have worked in the industry for years to get anyone to look at your resume with no degree on it.
>>
Geek Squad is a sales position, not IT or repair.
>>
The core issue here isn't that there aren't jobs out there.

The core issue is the entitlement babies coming out of college think their degree should mean they start off making 200k/year at a high level position instead of starting as a grease monkey cleaning servers and swapping dead hard drives first.
>>
File: 333.jpg (70KB, 552x752px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
333.jpg
70KB, 552x752px
>>47520406
>why not just give us the option to teach ourselves right from the getgo?

How cheap does a PC have to be? A brand new machine with VDU: $500 max. Buy it from ebay: $20, inc shipping & OS. Software - zero. Broadband: $20pcm. AOL narrowband: $15pcm. And that's assuming you don;t know there are still free dialup numbers.

There is almost nothing stopping you "teaching yourself from the getgo"
>>
>>47519808
>disillusion
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
>>
>>47520899

Alternatively, the issue is retards like you who roll over and let it drip out while thinking that a $35-40,000/year salary after 2 years of unpaid internships with $30,000 in student loan debt is an acceptable way of life.

It's not. Another problem is this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/14/tech-visas_n_7061010.html
>>
File: feel together.png (346KB, 439x500px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
feel together.png
346KB, 439x500px
>>47520836
>>
>>47520761
Conservatives could be considered mentally ill, yes.
>>
>>47520936
>Alternatively, the issue is retards like you who roll over and let it drip out while thinking that a $35-40,000/year salary after 2 years of unpaid internships with $30,000 in student loan debt is an acceptable way of life.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of entitlement in the morning.
>>
>>47520936
This.

This isn't like a 1940s corporation where all that matters is your hard work. If you start at the bottom your skills will rot and you will not learn or use what is necessary for your
>>
>>47520884
apparently the experience thing is just to get you to argue your case (that you are worth their time) in 99% of places

having heard 'you are trained? we're looking for someone who isn't (because govt grants)' at this point im wondering if completely bullshiting is a better way to go. (ww2 vet worked for nasa that kinda vague fuck you)
>>
>>47520955
do you realize where you are?
are you trying to start a flamewar about nothing?
stop it.
>>
>>47520982

> you will not learn or use what is necessary for your

Such a tease
>>
>>47520899
>>47520975
>Entitlement
Why is it entitled to expect your life to significantly improve after spending thousands and busting your ass for years?
>>
>>47520936

> I can't get a job because foreigners will do entry level work that I feel is beneath me

Sure thing.
>>
>believing a for-profit degrees actually means somthing
hah, what a retard
>>
>>47519808
That's because Geek Squad purposefully hires people who don't know anything about IT. It's so they can charge $200 to reset your OS.
>>
>>47521033

More like foreigners get paid a third less than what I'm refused because Microshit and Goybook know they'll have the employees by the balls with the visas.

Best case I get hired along with the currynigger that spends his entire day avoiding work.
>>
>>47520982

You start at the bottom and gain the experience you need for that better job you want. So when you show up and drop off your resume, it shows you can hold a real job and maybe even have some actual references. Plus depending on what you were doing you may be able to show "led a small team" or some shit.

This is what companies want. They want people skills and leadership ability (ie provable ability to make decisions).

Some diploma basically says you know how to regurgitate a book on demand.
>>
>>47520315
I've been for an interview with them before and they were looking for something more of a salesman than a techie despite it clearly being a tech role.
Mine was a practical of getting a router and laptop to be on the same subnet which caused butthurt for 50% of the group for some reason, a bunch of questions about inane shit like what the new mac OS was going to be called and shit you would normally google if you really needed to remember it instead of slapping in their disc and setting it to work.

Then after culling the numbers a bit they move onto a 1on1 where you attempt to sell them something in roleplay.

Fuck that noise.
>>
File: 1428853929874.png (53KB, 199x183px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1428853929874.png
53KB, 199x183px
>>47520577
>fuck sometimes i wished i lived in europe for shit like this.
As an American, holy shit do I wish I lived in Europe for the healthcare and education systems. Shame we can't get our shit together and offer this kind of shit to our own citizens. Especially when you'll have rich/old conservatives complaining that they're going to have to pay a little more taxes for people to have better opportunities. Hell, we wouldn't even necessarily have to raise taxes if our government just spent less on retarded shit, but good luck convincing Republicans to cut military spending even a tiny bit and Democrats to tone the foreign aid down.

If I ever have kids, I want to raise them in Europe.
>>
>>47521075

Blatant shill or literal retard.

>So when you show up and drop off your resume

You mean send your CV/Resume to some email address where HUNDREDS of others have as well?

>You start at the bottom and gain the experience you need for that better job you want.

This doesn't happen anymore, and hasn't for 10+ years. All of the guys in their late 30s that are making hiring decisions watched their parents and possibly themselves get raped by three recessions at this point and they aren't taking a SINGLE FUCKING CHANCE promoting or hiring a threat.

>Some diploma basically says you know how to regurgitate a book on demand.

Also that you're buried in debt and will suck dick for that paycheck to pay your loans back. Get real.
>>
File: image.jpg (316KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
316KB, 1600x900px
I was able to get a waiver for the college and or military experience required at my local police academy through a police explorers program. Believe it or not there are ways to get an alright paying job without college even though I'm going to college untill I become old enough to apply.

>Tfw $45,000 starting salary, great benefits and only 20 years to retirement.
>>
>>47519903
So that you're not a useless waste of space.
Anyway...
>computer science degree
>"college"
>associates degree
Means nuffin. Get entry level job. Show up. Be nice. Do what boss says. Dress well. You will destroy collegefags if you just so those simple things.
>>
>>47520615
Nah, white males are still way more likely to get hired by tech companies. The diversity push is just PR.
>>
>>47521141

Your resume says "Sucked cock for 3 years to pay off student loans" but I see "Works well at pleasing others when necessary."

Need to put some spin on those job skills.
>>
>>47520538
Yup.
I would always start with a math degree in undergrad first. Then work jobs and not expect to be I'm ceo bitch when in 22
>>
File: 18m7tuyanxopfjpg.jpg (53KB, 640x402px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
18m7tuyanxopfjpg.jpg
53KB, 640x402px
>>47521111
>mfw i found out europoors get paid to go to university
>>
>>47521171
>tfw 23, no degree, earning $110K base (made $13,000 last month), 30+ people reporting to me.
If you're talented you will go far, even if you only have a high school education.
If you're not talented, it doesn't matter if you have a degree or a trade, you will never get anywhere.
>>
File: 1428644628428.jpg (19KB, 277x227px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1428644628428.jpg
19KB, 277x227px
>>47520633
I've planned on doing this. If they ever ask why I didn't put them down, I'll just whip out the bullshit and say "I didn't want to get the job just because I'm white and male."

Diversity-minded PR would eat up that shit.
>>
They kind of messed up the article when they said his degree was in computer science when it is actually in IT.

CS students usually don't have an issue finding work, and when there is a problem it has to do with the distance between the workplace and where they live as opposed to not finding a job.

Of course we're talking about comparing a 3 year IT degree to a 5 year bachelor's in CS. Master's students generally have even less of an issue with finding work.
>>
Everest == degree mill that got sued so much it just decided to stop doing business
>>
>>47521454

CollegeInPjs?
>>
>>47519808
Imagine my surprise when I have been crying myself to sleep everyday because I chose to go into Finance and dropped out of CS.

I don't know what to feel anymore, I am practically dead inside.
>>
>>47521510

Isn't there a test you're suppose to take for finance and accounting?

Apparently if you do well employers will be knocking on your door.
>>
>>47521111

fuck dude

what is higher taxes when it means you never have to worry about health insurance, medical bills, student loan debt for the rest of your life

we already pressure kids to jump into college before they even know what the fuck their major is
you would not believe the amount of lost 3rd years(!!!) i've dealt with that have no idea what they're doing and are drowning in debt
>>
>>47521440

How do you practice for CS? I'm interested in majoring in it but I have nearly no knowledge on it. Do introductory courses cover enough to ease you in or do I need to do more on my end beforehand?
>>
>go to college, that's how you get an excellent career
>20 years later
>you want an decent job? lol too bad the jobs are all gone the economy isn't what it used to be
>>
> TFW I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering
> TFW I was president of several clubs in college
> TFW I was lead of my senior design project
> TFW every job even the shitty Mcdonalds job when I was 16 wanted to make me a manager
> TFW I have a great job

Gotta work to get somewhere in life anons.
>>
>everest college
That's near where I live, it's a clown college.
>>
>>47521651

You don't practice CS, you live, breath and dream about that shit until it's part of your inner consciousness.
>>
>tfw I'm 20 years old and earning only $41/h as a stupid intern
>>
>>47519941
why would a white person vote democrat? are they self-hating morons?
>>
>>47521258
>tfw 23 and working in a small IT company
>tfw stupid and no innate talents what so ever
>tfw most people on /g/ are intelligent, motivated and have great jobs

End me.
>>
>>47519836
>people think degrees = jobs
Millennials think that, because throughout their life they were taught by their parents and teachers that the way to instant success was through college. The millennials were mislead into pursing expensive degrees at any cost and if they couldn't get into a state college they had to go somewhere at least. These for-profit colleges which prey on them are run by absolute scum
>>
>>47521782
why would a person earning less than $500K a year vote republican? are they self-hating morons?
>>
>>47521794
all my innate talents don't really give me much of an edge in my field besides my inquisitiveness

i like to write, so it's just a hobby until it isn't you know? until then i'll keep working this IT job
>>
>>47521836
why would anyone vote for either of the two parties? both are big government shit houses with the same policies

anyone who says otherwise is a partisan and lying to you

i'm not a republican but i can see why a white male would vote that way over democrat
>>
>>47520374
It's a private college. Nothing more.
>>
>>47519808
>at what point
that was the point of a degree in the first place you fucking stupid piece of shit, market is too saturated now.
>>
>>47520518
My God I hope you don't live long enough for them to outsource all the tech jobs too. Because it will be so easy, it WILL happen.

>>47520559
It is, and it's going to ruin this country. We will hardly be the first great civilization brought down by cheap labor causing the old labor to revolt because what the fuck else are they going to do? though
>>
>>47520603
Then give me better raises and I won't move jobs.
>>
>>47521794

If you think about it, your professional life is still in its infancy, don't worry about it.

Now if you were 50 or something and you're still in the same place, just kill yourself.
>>
>>47521782

Only a psycho path would vote Republican.
>>
>>47521782
Some people enjoy cuckholding anon.

See >>47521916
>>
>>47520603

It has nothing to do with the employees, it's the places they work at that give dogshit growth for your job, or you get like a 20 cent raise every 3 months or some shit.
>>
>>47519836
Senior BSME student. Can confirm that the best students here tend to be dumb as rocks. The entire undergraduate education system emphasizes memorizing a bunch of crap without focusing on where they come from or how they're derived.
>>
>>47521872
They're not the same though. Democrats try to be good but their faggy emotions cause them to say and do stupid things. Republicans have no emotions. They only see corporations and unborn fetuses as people.
>>
>>47519808
>IT degree
>for-profit computer science degree
>associates
This thread is cancer.
>>
>>47521933

You can blame the professors for caring more about their own research than actually teaching students.
>>
>>47519808

Ok fucktards, I'm going to explain hiring.

Almost no one wants to hire someone smarter or more experienced or more qualified or more ambitious than themselves. They want to protect their job above any other consideration.

If you have a degree, and the boss doesn't, you won't get hired. It's that simple. Geek Squad? That's all high school dropouts.

Most people don't have degrees. Most people are dumb as shit. Best way to get your foot in the door is pretend to be a high school dropout and you've been gardening or some stupid shit for the last five years. Pretend like you can barely read. You'll get almost any job out there. Good luck.
>>
>>47521946
this is just a false narrative

both parties try to do good based on their own principles

sounds like you just watch too much of the daily show
>>
>>47521916
enjoy your kool-aid, i'm sure you can point out real differences between the parties for me here that don't include wedge issues

shouldn't be too hard considering they are so different, right?
>>
>>47521967
Oh that's definitely a part of it. They don't care about the course beyond keeping the pass rate within the acceptable boundaries (60-70%). I get to pay for the privellege of teaching myself and dealing with cryptic homework assignments copied from last semester with no regard as to how they fit into the material.

But this system of education rewards >>47521973
people who can memorise information without understanding the concepts behind them.
>>
>>47522020
didn't mean to quote the aeco
>>
>>47521872

At this point you have to choose between two parties who don't give a shit about you.

The difference is, given the chance, a Dem I more likely to do something that benefits the people if it doesn't hurt them.

A Republican will just tell you to piss off.

Both sides are tearing the world apart, the Republicans are making an active effort to speed up the process.
>>
>>47521111
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_United_States_federal_budget#Total_outlays_by_agency

those 672.9 billions of dollars should've been cut decades ago, it's not like 'certain' people would like that.
>>
>>47520123
This. What the hell does network administration have to do with CS?
>>
>>47521076
I work for them, and I got a job there because my first GM thought I applied for computers and so I said, "No, I'm applying for Geek Squad, I have NY A+ and I'm an IT student. I'd go somewhere better if they could match your schedule flexibility." Then I had a job.
>>
>>47521946
>Republicans have no emotions.
That's not true. Republicans are just completely self-centered. They POUR emotion along, "I am the center of the universe and the world should work the way I see it!"
Thus their lack of compassion. They think in terms of Us vs Them, and "Us" gets all of the rationalizations and justifications for their behavior, while "Them" are nothing but targets of judgement from their unassailable moral aerie.
>>
>>47522040
that's your opinion, which isn't based on much except your feelings

like i said, they don't differ on pretty much anything except wedge issues like abortion and gay marriage which has no bearing on the actual future

you sound like someone who uses the term "the right side of history" unironically
>>
>>47521700

so it's too late for me?
>>
>>47522103

It's never too late.

Maybe if you're 40 and you can't grasp concepts as well, but it really isn't ever too late.

Once you've invested about 100-200 hours into writing your first couple of motivation-destroying programs, you essentially get the gist of it.
>>
>>47521026
It's entitled to think just because you spent money on a paper degree that companies somehow owe you a job and a specific payrate

experience vastly outweighs a degree in most any field. An up-to-date certificate tells employers that you are able to use modern technologies, where a 15 year old CS degree tells them that 15 years ago, you were up to date.
Keith Barker does a great training set on VMware, and his view on skillsets is pretty much in-line with my hiring managers.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwDec-9OcWs
>>
>>47522196

Then why do companies force you to get degrees in the first place? Anybody who has dealt with programming and IT as a hobby for any extended period of time is propably going to have more "experience" which is useful in real life scenarios than anything you would get in college. So why not jus drop the bullshit and force young people to waste their time and money getting a paper degree which we all know is absolutely useless?
>>
>>47522100
Which party is more likely to support scaling back the "war on drugs"?
>>
>>47521967
Not even their own research. I spent 2 semester on exchange in US and both the schools the professors seemed to care more about what grades the students got. They went practically went through the fucking exams on the last class. Back in Europe on the 2 schools that I've been the professors actually focused on teaching their thing and if someone was too stupid to learn they had to ask someone about it instead of getting everything given to them on a plate.
>>
>>47522235

Because a college degree is just a measurement of how qualified you are relative to everyone else, but if 80% of their applicants have at least a bacheleor's degree, then you don't really stand out that much.

Once you get a Master's/PHD applications, you start obsoleeting out all bachelor candidiates unless the Master/PHD applicant wants too much pay or the bachelor's applicant is a girl and/or black/hispanic
>>
>>47520528
I've heard this a lot, colleges are just day care centers, high school 2, people who are more than willing to take your money and give you a piece a paper. Even at 35, most people I went to school with had the same mentality, go to college, get good job. Most didn't apply many places, or even try hard, no wonder they work in unrelated fields.
>>
>>47522235
haven't worked for any companies that require a degree, being a college dropout myself.
I know a lot of job listings say college degree on them, but if you can prove that you're able to do the work w/o it, most don't seem to care.

We had an intern a few months ago fresh out of school with his CCNA, but couldn't tell a VLAN from a fucking hole in the ground, so after 6 months the intern w/o the degree ended up filling the spot because he had paid attention to what we were telling him instead of nodding his head going "yeah, yeah, i remember hearing those words in class" but not actually knowing what they mean.
Chris, I'm talking about you, faggot.
>>
>>47522305

Colleges aren't day care centers, they're like a sandbox environment for learning. You'll learn as much as you want depending on how far you want to go, it's not an on-rails "you'll be qualified for everything if you meet our lowest requirement to graduate!".

You can easily tell a huge difference between high schoolers who are only going to college because they're being pressured into it and don't really know what to do vs. people who know what they want to do and try to pick up as much information as possible.
>>
>>47520406
College isn't only there for people to find jobs, but also for their personal growth.
>>
>>47522448

Just want to let you know that people like you are the reason why the American education system is collapsing. Nothing is worse than having to waste your time with bullshit arts courses where you do nothing but read shitty popular trivial literature just because some liberal asshat thinks you have to in order to be a "well-rounded person". Every STEM graduate hates you.
>>
>>47521111
Just so you know, you pay some of that foreign aid in lieu of interest on your foreign debt.

Stop paying the aid, see a rapid spike in debt.
>>
>>47522189


how do I code and be a 1337 hacker there are 2 many languages you know chummer?
>>
everyone from you dipshit parents to television to movies to society at large told you that the only way to be successful is to go to college and that people with college degrees were automatically smarter and richer than people without them

my parents were the same type of yuppy shitbags and when i dropped out of college in the first year they disowned me

i learned a trade made good money then invested in a startup and now im a millionaire

my parents occasionally try to come back into contact with me now that im the biggest success in the history of our family (lol) but i never return their calls I even had my name legally changed so that my extended family would receive zero social benefit from being related to me

your parents are stupid, college is worthless and you wasted your money and more importantly your time going to school
>>
>>47521111
quads confirm
>>
>>47521258
>If you're talented
your dad owning a company and hiring you is not 'talent', anon
>>
>>47522555

No amount of money will buy back your destroyed pride from failing college
>>
>>47522270
neither

one (democrats) will lie in order to get your vote, and say they will. at least republicans are being honest with their convictions.
>>
>>47522501
this is why college doesn't work for personal growth, you still have people like this
>>
>>47520575
I remember making fun of all those dang JVS kids at my school, once I graduated etc I found out what plumbers/electricians made, while most my age were paying money to go to college to get a job, these guys were making bank right out of high school...
>>
>>47522574
dropping out =/= failing college
>>
>>47519808
>for profit college
>can't get a job staffed by retard teens who can't tell RAM from a keyboard
>mad about it

At some point you have to be responsible for your own stupidity.
>>
>>47522501
First of all, I'm European.

Secondly, fuck those persons complaining. You should indeed be a well rounded person after graduating. If you only learn to get skilled at a job, then employers should pay your education.
>>
>>47522574

keep telling yourself that when your 35 and the most overqualified barrista working at your local Starbucks
>>
>>47522608

god i wished we glassed you eruos instead of the middle east

if anyone needs a bombing its you pretentious cocksuckers
>>
>>47522574
I'm sure bill gates is losing sleep over "failing" college
>>
>>47520588
dubs
or micro-transactions...
>>
>>47520633
Holy shit.

If i could disregard that information i would but unfortunately my last name is rodriguez. Im fucked for life.
>>
>>47522501
Uni should not just be pre-job training. I don't like some of the bullshit courses I've had to take either but most of the non-STEM courses I've had involved minimal work, just showing up for lecture and actually listening to it was enough to pass the tests for the class.
>>
>>47520717

but I'm afraid of people thinking I'm a dunderhead anon

i'm in america and the only thing I had going for me was my perceived intelligence ( other people telling me) whenever I brought up a trade job or anything at my guidance in HS they said it'd be a waste of my scores and grades

now I'm in uni, little idea for a major and hate all the classes in this semester AND the next that I'm forced to take

i'm tired of worrying about GPAs and people insisting I'll go far and be a top scientist somewhere or something

fuck man I hate myself sorry for venting /g/
>>
>>47522628
You need to understand literature for your view on society and the world in general.

But enjoy being a mindless working robot. Be glad that there are people like me who pity you and give you a chance to learn.
>>
>>47521196
I hired a female and she knew crap about IT, despite working at a huge company and working with some high end crap. (found out later, basically, the 20 other dues she worked with would cover for her and help her since she was the only female, ok, she was kind of cute, might be part of why I hired her... that and the diversity thing...)
>>
>Everest

He brought it on himself. A real institution might have helped.
>>
>>47521916

Why would you vote for someone who's going to take your guns away, anon?
>>
>>47522738
Guns are for psychos
>>
>>47521794
I think at 23 I was still installing car stereos
then I got a crap IT job which was basically a paid internship
then I got a job paying twice as much but I just surf 4chan and play on cell phone all day...
>>
>>47522693

why do I have to pay money to read a book and have someone tell me how I should feel and think from it

I think I'd rather read past the entry level books you guys have to read and read stuff I'm interested in


You can be a STEM major and still be an author, a musician. or just enjoy literature and understand the english language without EVER taking those classes at your college

I'd like to see an English Lit major or some other LA try their hand at theoretical physics or coding an OS
>>
>>47522743
Guns in the hands of a responsible citizen will stop psychos
>ftfy

It's a good thing criminals obey laws, or forcing them to hand over their guns would be an issue.
>>
File: 1402325122793.jpg (31KB, 250x251px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1402325122793.jpg
31KB, 250x251px
>>47521794
>tfw most people on /g/ are intelligent, motivated and have great jobs
>>
File: 1190725363641.jpg (11KB, 320x240px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1190725363641.jpg
11KB, 320x240px
>>47522501
you are the absolute worst kind of idiot. please go and die in a fire.
>>
>>47522780
I guess you only need to provide evidence against his last two points, now.
>>
>>47521794
>>
>>47519808
>Spending $37,000 on an IT associates degree
Fucking why? Hasn't this guy ever heard of a community college? Either go 4 year, get actual experience (Interships and tons of self-study), or go home to your shitty or non-existent job. If you do go for a 2 year degree go to a community college, not some shitty for-profit.

Holy shit people are this retarded?
>>
>>47522595
If colleges didn't make you pay for those bullshit classes most people probably wouldn't care.
>>
>>47522826

the funny thing is that a CC would have been way less expensive and gotten more respect than from the cash college he went to instead

fuck man some CC's are really good and can equate to a state school
>>
>>47519808
Thank god I dropped CS early on
>>
>>47522743

Guns are for everybody.

The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
>>
>>47522826
A lot of people have this belief that they need to go to a well known college so they completely pass up community colleges. Community colleges aren't even bad either it's strange.
>>
>>47522804
I only pointed out a self-evident fact
>>
>>47521794
>small IT company
That's more experience than 95% of /g/ has as a IT Professional.
>>
>>47520062
Yeah man, we have curry niggers to do the coding for us
>>
>>47522738
In their world black crazy people have their rights to bear arms too, tripfag
>>
>>47521624
Chartered accountants pass out rate is 1%, and it takes 8-10 years of dedicated work/study to get it. Then you ride the gravy train.

Finance without an exalted MBA is just clerical desk job doing excel spread sheets.
>>
rip stream
>>
>>47522932
F
>>
>>47522932
oops that was supposed to go in the spacex thread
>>
>>47519808
I keep seeing this a lot do people really think college assigns you jobs or something? That by going to college you're entitled to a job? I never once thought that, where the hell are people getting that idea?
>>
File: armedwar.jpg (895KB, 875x1149px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
armedwar.jpg
895KB, 875x1149px
>>47520717


How much money do you make welderbro? What are the hours like?
>>
>>47522917

It's my world too, you goofball. The bonus is that if a crazy nigger with a gun is coming at you, you can use YOUR gun to shoot him. If the liberals take away the guns, he still has his, but you don't have yours.

That's a losing situation.
>>
>>47522693

The fact that you really think an institution can force people to be "cultured" already shows that all your babble is just mindless conformity.

"Art" isn't just something that everybody can learn - it's something that you learn and discover on your own, and anybody who has both the interest and the cognitive abilities to enjoy non-trivial art and derive meaning from it is propably going to be much more efficient at culturally educating himself on his own than if he is stuck in some college.

And even so, I think most "art" is bullshit anyways. Some of it like Shakespeare I genuinely enjoy reading, but Goethe, Schiller and stuff like that is just completely boring bullshit with virtually no actual intellectual value. Continental philosophy and classical literature are literally just anti-scientific idiots who can't do proper math circlejerking one another about how clever they are because babble about metaphysical nonsense.
>>
>degree in network-administration
>computer science degree
what the f*ck?
>>
Companies come to my school all the time looking for CS people with jobs that start at 60k-70k a year.

And this isn't some well known school either, it is a school with like 3,000 students IF THAT in the mid west middle of fucking nowhere and well known companies still come to it looking for people.
>>
>>47519808
Doesn't it take 2 years for an associate's degree, not 3?
Isn't an associate's degree something liberal art fags do to feel better about their lives?
Isn't customer service at Best Buy almost a step down from working at a pizzeria?
Since when are colleges supposed to be "for profit"? I bet they teach gender studies there too.
How come he looks like a fedora autist, but he's actually a Christian (cross necklace)
How come this guy lets himself be publicly humiliated like this?
How come this guy didn't notice in the 2-3 years of studying, that people keep saying you need to do internships to get a good IT job?
How likely is it that this guy barely learnt anything at college except how to use task manager and ccleaner?
>>
why do people insist on entering oversupplies fields and continue ignoring undersupplied fields?
>>
>>47523034
>Since when are colleges supposed to be "for profit"?
They're not. Also these places can barely be considered "colleges" they're basically a scam. They're almost always not accredited, they're expensive, and they usually run very cheaply
>>
>>47523060
There is nothing wrong with network administration, and generally going to college in the first place.

The only problem is this guy chose to go to some dumb for profit school and probably took all his classes online
>>
>>47522985
>mindless conformity
>anybody who has both the interest and the cognitive abilities to enjoy non-trivial art and derive meaning from it is propably going to be much more efficient at culturally educating himself
>And even so, I think most "art" is bullshit anyways.

Well, this whole post is mighty pretentious.

Why not kill yourself if everything is so "bullshit"?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJl0XuDKSjc
>>
>>47523060
Well I have this friend who was always good with computers and mathematics, and when he graduated high school, he knew he was gonna get into CS. it's just his thing. Everyone has their own passions, and I doubt anyone is going to go into a completely foreign field unless it interests them. Like the guy in OP could have gone in many other fields like Finances or Economy, or any engineering subject, but I guess he had an interest in computers. Not so much though that he went for a Bachelor's. But for people who actually take college seriously, like my friend, there's not much of a choice.

Now this might shock you, but that friend is actually me :0
>>
>>47523132
I don't even understand what that nigger is saying.
>>
>>47520717
>welder major
how limited can you get? An idiot could do that
what are you going to do when an immigrant gets your job and does it for pennies? Where's your job sec then
>>
>>47519808

When you stopped hiring people without degrees.
>>
>>47519854

Agreed. The guy spent two years in college, and it was a terrible school.

Still, he's vastly overqualified for a job at Best Buy. A dead cat would be better than a Best Buy employee, because at least a dead cat wouldn't lie to you to sell Monster cables.
>>
>>47523134
there's nothing wrong with with going for a general field.
however, if you don't have any contacts and aim for a narrow field, you need something else to stand out
and if you don't have that, aren't willing to acquire that, then you might want to consider to seriously broaden your field
>>
>>47523157
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T24DPU-hkJM
>>
>>47520784
> 14 y/o prodigy programmer
nice meme!
>>
>spent 37k
>went to a for-profit university
>got an AS
>couldn't get a job
why is any of this surprising?
>>
>>47523208
protip: Best Buy wants to sell those Monster cables, and yes, they're willing to lie to get it out of their store.

A worker isn't qualified based on their ethics, but on their ability to sell within the boundaries of the law. You seem to misunderstand that.
>>
>>47523264

You're absolutely right. Anyone who will not lie to customers is unqualified to work at Best Buy.

I'll amend my statement: a dead cat isn't qualified for a job at Best Buy, but a dead cat would be more helpful than typical Best Buy employees.
>>
>>47522555

Is it just me or does sound like "one of those stories" that someone randomly brings up in a conversation but that always lack details to make them believable even IRL?
>>
File: tcucheer-retreat2.jpg (114KB, 960x642px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
tcucheer-retreat2.jpg
114KB, 960x642px
>>47520861
Wow, biased much. I live in Texas, most of the women are gorgeous.
>>
>>47519808
>degree in network-administration
>computer science
>article written by a woman
quality journalism
>>
>>47523014
>And this isn't some well known school either, it is a school with like 3,000 students IF THAT in the mid west middle of fucking nowhere and well known companies still come to it looking for people.

Supply and demand. An okay school will attract employers if there aren't any other schools nearby to supply the necessary talent. A lot of employers just hire local because they know they might not always attract talent far away.
>>
>>47520127
>and then the cost cutting companies lose customers to those who weren't so short sighted to see they were rendering a service unusable.

I won't cry for you randroid faggots.
>>
>>47520198
you also have a shit load of trailer parks and ghettos where people work selling drugs because there is no industry supporting the mcdonalds that closed down where they worked. because some rich bastard decided to use the furthest place away possible.

>>47520284
immigration displacing the local labour market is stupid fallacy when we are running high unemployment levels and a labour surplus.
>>
>>47520538
>Very few people on that show are in their mid-20's
It's also a TV show.

If you're recording a show about how a job works you don't go to a 20 year old who's only been around for like a year you look for a guy that has been around for multiple years and *knows* how things are supposed to work.
>>
>>47523014
>tfw no one comes to my school
>>
>>47523106

>you don't agree with society?
>why don't you kill yourself

wow what is wrong with you
>>
>>47519808
>cs graduate
>waiting for people to give him a job
>not starting your own fucking business online

Why even breathe? SU-DO-KU.
>>
>>47519808
>tfw university freshmen
>tfw wanted a liberal education
>never wanted to learn things just to get a job
>never thought college was about anything different than learning
>enjoy my latin courses
>most courses are targeted towards people wanting jobs
>become badly fucking demotivated
>want to just sit in my room and read books all day like I've been doing
>most of my courses are just reading from books anyway
I don't know what to feel. I've fucked this semester so badly I'll probably lose my scholarships and have to drop out anyway.
I don't think I even care. I hate it here.
>>
>>47519920
Not even. You could work as a slave for geek squad with just customer service skills... most of the repairs are left to remote indians. I think guy did not want a job in the store but rather a manager job or at the corporate HQ.
>>
>>47524234
>Implying starting a business isn't guaranteed failure and debt
>>
>>47524258
>implying you need money to start one
>>
>>47522762

> I'd like to see an English Lit major...

backend webdev / devops reporting in

it's somewhat depressing that no-one gets my pop-cultural references OR JOKES at work (everyone else is EE/CS)
>>
>>47524246
>Courses are targetted towards people wanting jobs
Same thing in engineering. They literally teach you the bare minium for employment and it sucks if you actually want to learn the material. As I understand it gets much better in graduate level courses.
>>
>>47524258
it's not but that is usually the result
>>
>>47520409
Finish your CCNA, it has become the new A+ requirement in IT
>>
>>47524286
>it sucks if you actually want to learn the material.

you get internships for that
>>
>>47520538
People aged 20-30 barely have an impact on the job market faggot. Most of them are still studying and the other half is still looking for a job
>>
>>47524131
our society is fucked in the head when people think "I'd rather be a drug dealer than a plumber"
>>
>>47524286
I'm probably not going to make it past freshman. Fuck this.
Everything you need is in books. I'll just read books.
>>
>>47524277
>Online
"Online businesses" absolutely require money to start one.
>>
>>47519808
>for-profit institution
>associates degree
>IT

Do people really do this?
>>
>>47524286
>he didn't actually study his textbooks
Everything that you want to know is already there. Buy those fucking books and keep it as reference.
>>
>>47524281
Start watching sports, TBBT, Mad Men and I don't know what else these philistines enjoy, then you _might_ make a joke that they can grasp.
>>
>>47519808
But this is an important article. People need to know that getting a qualification doesn't guarantee you a job.
>>
>>47524317
"I'd rather make 200 more bucks a week and have less of a chance of getting legally fucked because of my job"
>>
>>47524317
That's actually a perfectly rational thought though, a lot of people would rather do that. Some people aren't cut out for trades so working as a pharmacist where they can make a living is alright.
>>
>>47524131
>Blaming your own failure as a person on somebody more successful than yourself
Typical liberal.
>>
>>47524317
>implying drug dealers aren't providing a valuable service
>>
>>47519808
Computer Science degree is not an associates in network admin.
>>
>>47524281

English lit major? Damn how'd you fall into that job
I'm impressed, but the rule still holds true, most LA majors I find can barely use a computer or do hard maths
>>
>>47524359
But he's entirely correct. Outsourcing jobs damages the home labour market.
>>
>>47524398
They wouldn't have to "outsource" if they were able to provide the services "some rich bastard" wanted, how about they open a restaurant and serve food better than McD? Perhaps that rich bastard wouldn't travel 50+ miles to get something proper to eat.
>>
>>47524329
>Implying the professor doesn't just jump around various chapters in the syllabus completely fucking up the order your supposed to learn shit in
I've had multiple classes where you've had to use information from next week's lecture to answer the homework problems. Books aren't the problem.
>>
>>47524313
Ironic considering that I hated school and paid for it and I love my internships and they pay me. Undergraduate education is a fucking joke.
>>
>>47519808

I could tell right from that photo why he can't get a job
>>
File: 137209927.png (82KB, 421x248px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
137209927.png
82KB, 421x248px
IT jobs have a 90%+ placement rate at my college
theyre not even trying.
Even everyone with a sub 2.5 gpa including myself had a job within 4 months of graduating
>>
>>47524287
I don't get it, a cs graduate is probably capable of learning web dev and design in a week or two, what's stopping him from renting a server and start doing something with what he learned? If he spent $36'000 I'm sure he can afford $80 a month for a medium-high tier web server.

>inb4 b-but that's not what I graduated for :(
Nobody says you have to give up on your goals, but if you cannot find a job you gotta get your shit together and do something, before you start to forget what you even studied.

When you get yourself out there on the internet and show what you're capable of, who knows, maybe someone one day will give you an opportunity to reach your goals or maybe you'll even get inspired to create something new and revolutionary that you had never even dreamed of.

Staying NEET won't help much.
>>
If you are shitloads in debt out of school: you picked the wrong school

If you cannot find a job out of school: you picked the wrong major

I go to a small school in the mid west and I will be able to pick and chose whatever state I want to work in. Mostly because I am in security though, but even in CS if you cannot pick where you want to work you did it wrong.

It's cute seeing kids who obviously made poor life choices shit all over college like tools.
>>
>>47524427
Because if you're a multinational, you outsource every job you can to third-world shitholes and benefit from corporate welfare. Even if your startup could somehow grow to match McDonald's, you'd have to do the same things they're doing to get there, meaning there's no change anyway.
>>
>>47524332

> sports

That would seriously hamper a pristine 25-year track record of active avoidance.

> TBBT

The first three episodes were funny. That's pretty much how far the format developed before collapsing into 'nerds do the darndest things'.

> Mad Men

Had to Google this.


>>47524329

I find it amusing that people spend years poring over college study material oblivious to the fact that absorbing about 1000-2000 pages of decent books can land just about anyone a job in a particular dev niche. Think about it. You can smash SICP and K&R into this quota and still have enough space left for some employable normie language.
>>
>>47520709

its true I'm one of those retards
>>
>>47524321
>spends 36k for a degree
>can't afford a few dozen bucks a month for a server
>>
>>47524500
If your startup cant match the quality of good McDonald's serves you've fucked up.
>>
>>47524526
When you spend 36k on some dumb ITT-tech tier for profit school, you would be lucky to know how to breathe.
>>
>>47523188

To be fair, if an immigrant could weld, then they probably wouldn't be an immigrant.
>>
>>47524526
>few dozen bucks a month for a server
>few dozen bucks
>a server
>a
Stick to philosophy.
>>
>>47524542

my 4 year state degree was 32k with scholarships. I majored in Computer Information Systems.

The field is pretty packed, but I have a position.
>>
>>47524534
Just about everybody can exceed McDonald's in terms of quality. The question is, can you exceed them in profit? And the answer is no.
>>
>>47524557
I was referring to the person from the OP. People who spend shitloads on dumb for profit schools have no sympathy from me.
>>
>30 years old
>for profit college
>2 year bullshit degree
>cross necklace
>awful hair
>tells papers about his sad story
Lmao
>>
>>47524570
Why the fuck are you discussing profit?
>>
>>47520693
>Check your privilege wyt boi
>>
>>47524554
duh you have to start small, somewhere, if you are expecting to start an Apple-tier company when you barely just graduated, failure is inevitable.

First, earn yourself food and bills money, then aim big.
>>
>>47520991
Are you mentally ill?
>>
>>47524582
Why aren't you? That's what you need to survive as a business, and it's what your startup would need to make if you wanted to compete against McDonald's. When it comes to paying the lease, your debtors aren't going to waive it because you can put together a mean chicken soup.
>>
>>47524592
I'll actually throw up some numbers if you throw me some ideas for your "Online businesses".
>>
>>47524623
1 2456 57
>>
>>47524623
It's like Facebook, but better.
>>
>>47522826

guy I work with in a call center went to ITT, smart guy knows a lot about computers, but he was duped the same way. Shit almost everyone I work with went to an ITT college, except me I went to a real university! Which really says how much of a failure I am
>>
>>47524320
Here's a couple things I've learned from my undergraduate engineering education that may or may not apply to you.
1).Cheat like a motherfucker
Not only are most homework assignments just last semesters endlessly recycled;the order they're assigned is usually completely fucked up. This means you'll often be given assignments that do not mesh with your lectures AT FUCKING ALL! You'll have no clue what the fuck they want you to do because this piece of shit was originally written in 1973 and has been passed around like an STD. Most of the "hardest" courses are hard because the professor is too focused on research to do his job so he/she just grabs last years homework and passes it out. This goes doubly so for any lab/projects because the professor isn't gonna rewrite an entire lab every single year.

What this means is two-fold
a). You will spend an ungodly amount of time trying to figure out the homework and learn nothing from completing it because it's marginally relevant.
b).All your classmates are most likely cheating too. Either they know someone who took the course previously or they can just look it up on sites like Chegg.com or coursehero and find the old assignments

Chances are you have WAY too many other courses already and you'll never be able to devote this much time to every homework assignment in every class.

You might think "oh no I should do the homework because I'll need to know this stuff for the exam". You would be right if the professor had done his job well. Unfortunately there is a massive disconnect between homework and exams (due to time constraints among other things). The exams will often make more sense and be simpler than the homework (because they actually create a new exam every semester).

You can get by for most exams by going over the old ones a few days beforehand rather than pouring over the homework the entire semester.
>>
>>47524394

/g/ helped, I'm serious.

It didn't take long before the endless Fizzbuzz and 'I want to make a game' threads became tiring and I figured that if these brain-dead shitposters are somehow able to land well-paid jobs with abysmal skills it shouldn't be impossible for a hard-working and motivated individual.

Took about 8 months to reach employable skill from scratch. I'd just like to note that the progression had some embarrassing moments.

Months 1-2 => what the fuck there's so many details to this and the docs are huge I'm never...
Month 3 => ok I got this, I can do ANYTHING I want with this language let's apply for jobs!
Month 4 => let's google all the things the interviewers grilled me on before failing me into low orbit
Month 5 => jesus christ I can't believe I thought I knew something, back to the basics
Month 6 => many more job interviews, many more we're sorrys, doing a variety of tasks in the interview process
...
Month 8 => finally got job. I was the second best applicant. the other guy had 3 years of experience in DBA and a CS degree. took us both in
>>
>>47524657
I was surprised that everyone around me cheats. I was also surprised everyone around me does drugs.

I'm in the honors dorm of a good university and people around me cheat and do drugs.

I probably won't be here next semester. I probably fucked up too much this semester. I'm going to see if I can get leniency from the state organization that gave me my scholarships because I was depressed and spent a while going to therapy and that shit.

I expected better anon. I can't even take cs here because the courses are shit. I love cs and have to focus on shit like astronomy instead.
>>
>>47520062
underrated post
>>
>>47524701
>I love cs and have to focus on shit like astronomy instead.
ABSOLUTELY! Nothing will burn you out more than hating something you were passionate about. It's why I learn programming on the side instead of anything related to my major (Mechanical Engineering).

Also your beating yourself up too hard. You need to realize that completely clueless people will pass with flying colors in the same courses you struggle with simply because they're good at rote memorization. The undergraduate system rewards people who can spit out information without understanding it. You really just need to take absolutely no pride at all in your coursework. It seems counter-intuitive but if you spend hours and really try to grasp the material while doing your homework it'll only break your heart when you get a 2/10 (read:Someone who wrote their name on a piece of paper and turned it in got the same score) on a homework assignment.
>>
>>47524657
You must have gone to some incredibly shitty college man.
>>
>tfw 19
>want to do something in IT because i "like computers"
>no real knowledge besides knowing how to troubleshoot computers and build them plus some random bullshit i know from /g/
>work in my dads plumbing company right now
>make 14 CAD an hour basically 11 USD but don't have to pay any rent or food bills really 9k saved up
>could easily get a plumbing apprenticeship with my dad just like my brother is doing
>work isn't even that bad or hard even digging out peoples underground sewage pipes full of shit you get used to it and just replace it
>scared shitless of the stigma put on plumbers and trades people in general
>want to go to school but theirs so many courses i don't even know what half of them are or if any will get me a job

Holy fucking shit this is awful, i can only imagine it gets even worse when you get into college. I have no idea what to do and it's basically zero hour for making a decision.
>>
>>47524701
>>47524786
Also I wouldn't worry a ton about your scholarship. You'd have to check the scholarship but quite often they have "probation" periods built into them if you do poorly so it's unlikely you'll get booted your first semester. They'll definitely give you leniency for your first year because its a fact that everyone struggles adjusting to college life their first year.

Also I would highly advise taking courses over the summer if your can afford it/your scholarship allows it. Even the easiest courses will eat away your time during final exams and make it difficult to keep your grades up. I split my last semester into a spring semester and a summer semester and I get great scores on all my exams simply because I can devote almost a whole week to studying the material instead of juggling between 3 exams in the same week.

Also taking 5 years to graduate is something you may want to consider. It's wrongly associated with being for screwups but you could see a massive boost in grades and a reduction in your stress just by having a lighter course load.
>>
>>47524835
Going to Purdue University is literally the biggest disappointment of my life
>>
>>47524887
Thanks for the advice.

My parents want me to switch to a college that's closer to home. It's an engineering college though.

My scholarship has a probation period and I'm going to take some courses over the summer.
>>
>>47524623
Kek use your brain, I ain't spoon feeding nobody. I was working with a sysadmin as web dev till last year, both of us self-learners (me a drop out and the admin a university student), managing a web server and 2 file servers, advertising-based and non-profit service with +/- 30 volunteers who liked our site and wanted to support us, it took 3 years to get 20k daily visitors and 20k FB followers, with basically no self advertising, it's a small and simple free service but the ads' income was enough to cover all costs, if we were to turn it into a fully commercialized service, we could make a good living off it, but that really wasn't in our ambitions, since it started only as a free time activity. Last year I left for lack of time since I'm starting my own project, using what I learned in the past 2 years.

There're many ways one can make money online, use some creativity.
>>
>>47525003
Take your roleplaying back to /g/.
>>
>>47524883
why not just go to a trade school and get plumbing

if someone looks down on you fuck them

you can just go to college anyway afterwards and not have to deal with the pressure of living with no money 9k is way more than I had at 19
>>
>>47525027
you wut m8...
>>
>>47525030

Because deep down i want to go to college to make friends and have what i didn't in highschool. Real life scares the shit out of me and i just want to have a place to go everyday for a little while to figure shit out and make friends.
>>
>>47524883
Why not learn plumbing, use that to go to school if you want (mechanical, civil, chemical engineering or something related might be useful since you have some understanding of plumbing and the degree will open doors for fancy plumbing) but you should really only go if it's something you're really passionate about, i.e. you wouldn't mind eating shit if it would help you get better. At least with plumbing you will have a job (money) so that allows you to do more things.
>>
>>47525096

the "college experience" is as dead as the highschool one
>>
>>47524914
>engineering college
Then here's a couple tips that are probably more relevant to you.

Don't worry about internships your first or second year. Most people don't get one until at least the end of their second year. It's not a death sentence if you don't find one despite what a bunch of neckbeard 20-somethings may say. I found both my internships locally off craigslist.

I will never meet more passive agressive people in my life. I consider myself pretty passive aggressive but these guys blow me out of the water. These kids will literally not shut the fuck up about the stupidest shit (internships, themselves, they're latest project;"yeah I interned at GE working on the turbines for the F-22 fighter blah blah blah"). I thought we could all just nerd out over common interests but these people are more self absorbed than even me! If you don't make a lot of close friends don't feel bad because most of these people are not worth being friends with.

Your social life will be worse than it was in high school. Chances are you wont have the time (or like the people in) all those clubs you see flyers about. The "college experience" (if it exists at all) does not apply to engineering education. You are trading putting up with four years of bullshit for an easier life as a working stiff and it feels like it. Every person I meet is baffled by how excited I am to graduate and get out of here. It does get better.

If you ever suspected you might have ADD,ADHD,Autism or any kind of psycological condition. Get it tested (not by the on-campus psycologist because they'll automatically assume you just want to score some addies). It turned out I legitimately had ADHD (I always assumed everyone else had this much difficulty with focusing). In addition to drugs to keep me from losing focus 10 minutes into an assignment, I get 150% time on all exams. Many schools have disability programs that you can take advantage of if you have ADD or Autism.
>>
>>47525138

What the fuck is their then, real life fucking sucks holy shit. Where am i suppose to meet people and make friends for once in my life, no one in the trades is below the age of like 29.
>>
>>47524883
>>scared shitless of the stigma put on plumbers and trades people in general
AHAHAHA who gives a fuck about the stigma? Anyone with half a brain knows plumbers make bank. It's a well known fact that licensed plumbers and electricians make such good dosh its almost criminal. If people are to stupid to understand plumber=cash then they wouldn't be impressed when you tell them your an engineer either.
>>
>>47525228
I'm not in engineering. The public university my parents want me to transfer to is closer to home and focuses on engineering. I'm at one of the larger and more prestigious public universities right now.

I had no social life in highschool.

When I was in therapy, I talked to my therapist about getting medicated. I haven't been back since. I'm scared to go back now. It's been months.

I probably do have some kind of psychological condition. I'm basic lonely and friendless /r9k/ material.

I know what I want to do with my life, but it is completely unrelated to jobs and going to college. I'm trying to get to the point where I can do it and I think I just need to keep going and reading for a few more years before I can start.
Thread posts: 337
Thread images: 20


[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.