[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Convince me not to buy one... I just started considering this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 7

File: maxresdefault.jpg (455KB, 3000x1714px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
455KB, 3000x1714px
Convince me not to buy one...
I just started considering this today over the thinkpad T550 and the dell XPS 15

>inb4 the thread becomes swarmed with Apple shills and gentoo memes
>>
>>47519722
Buy one. Hell, buy ten. I really don't give a shit and this thread doesn't belong on /g/.
>>
>>47519722
If you can live with omosex it's actually not a bad choice, the only apple product worth considering in my opinion.
If I had to buy an powerful yet portable notebook I would probably get a Dell Precision M3800 that runs great with Linux.
>>
>>47519722
Because you should buy one next year, when the Skylake processors come out. They'll probably shove out a new version with it that'll have wireless charging and better wireless file transfer. Then the whole "muh one port!!" thing will be a pointless argument.
>>
>>47519722
Don't buy one. Broadwell's around the corner.
>>
I don't usually care about design, but good lord, Apple design is dogshit...
>>
>>47519806
>Linux on a laptop
If you're not running Win8.1 or OSX on a laptop, you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>47519722

Oh just stop being a faggot and buy one. I didn't realize what it was like to actually like your operating system until I got my first Macbook. This is something Winfags will never accept, to some people it's worth an extra $500 to actually like you fucking computer. Caring about "value" all the time just makes you a poorshit. caring about quality is all that matters.

Example: Intel and Nvidia>>>>>>>>AMD
>>
>>47519843
Why? I like to have the exact same environment on both my workstation an laptop.
>>
>>47519843
This, only because GNU/Linux STILL has fucking awful support for power management and saving.
>>
>>47519807
>>47519820
>Skylake
>Broadwell
It never ends. Let's just wait for Cannonlake.
>>
>>47519898
Isn't that the last boss in Ocarina of Time?
>>
>>47519898
Broadwell is just the die-shrink of the processor we already have. Skylake is the brand new processor.
>>
>>47519911
No
>>>/v/
>>
>>47519722
wouldn't really get one. Doesn't the apple laptop overheat as fuck once you do something that requires more cpu power?
>>
>>47519722
MacBooks are too fragile. Unless you are overly autistic about taking care of it I personally wouldn't get one. I'd go for the t550 or the t450s but it depends on your use case.
>>
>>47519883
>awful support for power management and saving.
My Latitude e5440 gets around 8 hours on Debian 8 and 8.5 - 9 on Win 7.
I'd say that's pretty good. And I've had no problems with the docking station either.
>>
>>47519911
No one knows about your gaymur shit faggot. Go ask /v/.
>>
>>47519867
I can't imagine this being reasonable. On a workstation you have multiple monitors and powerful hardware, as well as a mouse (infinitely superior as a pointing device compared to any trackpad). On a workstation, power draw is the least of your concerns.

On a laptop, if your device doesn't last for more than 3 hours, you might as well not even work on it. Unless your work is so stupidly simple that you can get shit done 10 minutes at a time.
>>
>>47519722
I have the 13", best laptop I've ever owned. I plan on using this thing as long as I can.
>>
Get a T450s with a GT730M. Paid 1300€ for it. I don't think theres a macbook for that price with a dedicated gpu. Also, I prefer the matte fullhd over the retina screen since Windows dpi scaling is shit.
>VGA
>Ethernet
>hotswappable external battery
>>
>>47519962
"Works on My Machine" isn't an answer. I'm speaking about an objective state of affairs. There's very little support for actual power saving and management in GNU/Linux (and what does exists is incomplete), and it's a well-known issue.
>>
>>47519722
>buy normal windows laptop
>get a 10000mAh battery
>have fun with 12h battery

Good luck
>>
>>47519923
any plans when skylake will be released?
>>
>>47520024
>"Works on My Machine" isn't an answer
It is for anyone wanting to run a current kernel on Haswell.
>>
>>47520041
H2 2015

But will it come in a K model at that time?
>>
>>47519929
>>47519979
>trolled HARD
>>
>>47519979
>ocarina of time
>gaymur
I hope you drown in cum before your 13th birthday.
>>
You probably should. The XPS 15 is pretty meh and just as expensive new.
>>
>>47519980
>I can't imagine this being reasonable. On a workstation you have multiple monitors and powerful hardware, as well as a mouse (infinitely superior as a pointing device compared to any trackpad).
On a laptop I work slower than on a workstation but I can do exactly the same things, so I don't get why I should use a completely different OS and programs.

>>47519980
>On a workstation, power draw is the least of your concerns.
>On a laptop, if your device doesn't last for more than 3 hours, you might as well not even work on it. Unless your work is so stupidly simple that you can get shit done 10 minutes at a time.
Here you are implying battery life with Linux (Fedora is what I use) is worse than with Windows but that's not true.
When I read remarks like that I can't stop thinking you guys had installed ubuntu 6.10 eight years ago and had some issue with it.
Every non retarded Linux distro with up to date packages (*buntu, Fedora, debian testing, Mint just to say few names) runs quite great out of the box without requiring any major tinkering.
>>
>>47520093
>>47520114
Did you get triggered because not everyone is a man child faggot gaymur like you? Go back to /v/ faggot and talk about video gaymes.
>>
I bought an MBP. It helps me actually get shit done.

I say go for it.
>>
>>47519722
>just started considering this today over the thinkpad T550 and the dell XPS 15
The XPS and a Macbook are analogous, but how the hell does a T550 fit in with them?
T550 has a matte screen, a removable battery, a docking port and options for WWAN modems, fingerprint readers, etc.
Make up your mind, do you want a multimedia laptop or a professional one?
>>
>>47520163
>MUH TRIGGERS
TOP FUCKING KEK

Sorry someone anonymous mentioned something you don't like on a board you don't control. Try not to die of cardiac arrest.
>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>47520293
>reading comprehension
>>
File: sushi.jpg (136KB, 400x239px) Image search: [Google]
sushi.jpg
136KB, 400x239px
>>47520157
>Every non retarded Linux distro with up to date packages (*buntu, Fedora, debian testing, Mint just to say few names) runs quite great out of the box without requiring any major tinkering.
No they don't. Apple beats Linux the fuck down when it comes to user experience. If I'm going to use a laptop, it better be so enjoyable that I'm not going to be distracted by the real world, and Linux doesn't cut it.

Linux stops being good outside the server and workstation.

Pic unrelated, but sushi is technology.
>>
>>47520367
>user experience
Could you be more vague?
Post your reply in >>>/gd/ or wherever it is you 'designer' autists congregate
>>
>>47520367
>Apple beats Linux the fuck down when it comes to user experience.
That's completely subjective, I find OSX hard to use and counter intuitive.
I also don't like the touchpad, it lacks even the most basic tap to click feature (maybe it can be enabled but that requires some tinkering so it does not works great out of the box).
People using a macbook usually use it as a workstation too (apple does not make real desktop workstations anymore) so I don't get why I could not possibly do the same with a Linux laptop.
>>
>>47520503
If you're docking your Linux laptop, my beef isn't with you. If you're always docked, though, might as well get a desktop.
>>
>>47520525
>If you're docking your Linux laptop, my beef isn't with you. If you're always docked, though, might as well get a desktop.
I was just remarking how retarded apple users are, they love OSX cock so much that they fool themselves into thinking a 3000 € laptop hooked to an apple cinema display can be the most powerful workstation ever.
I don't dock my laptop, when I am at my desk I use a Xeon workstation and a dual monitor setup, when I am away I use a laptop with exactly the same OS and programs installed and, to some extent, I can perform the same tasks on both machines using the same programs, the same command line and without having to learn and adapt my workflow to a whole lot different OS and programs suite.
>>
Because it was designed by a retard, and constantly throttles itself whenever you actually try to do more than update Facebook.

In fact, does anyone have that "0.8 ghz" picture saved?
>>
>>47519722
If I had the money, I'd buy one. But there are better bang-for-buck choices if that matters to you.
>>
Its okay if you install gentoo on it
>>
>>47520733
Running anything that isn't omosex on it is not only a pain in the ass but also pants on head retarded.
Just get a fucking Dell for less money with better specs and official Linux support if you plan to run Gentoo on it.
>>
i think its a good idea,
>Unibody, windows laptops always have shitty bending cases
>Optimized, important in a laptop because you have limited power and hardware.
>Only retards game on laptops so that isnt relevant
In short apple is the way to go for small form factor computing. Windows just doesnt scale down well
>>
File: epOvYjZh.jpg (352KB, 1024x640px)
epOvYjZh.jpg
352KB, 1024x640px
On the same subject.
Is it better to get a new laptop, it fix an old one?
New core i5 will cost about 500$, fixing the old laptop can't tell the cost exactly but it probably gonna need a new HDD and CPU since one core is faulty, the old laptop is a hp dv6 pavilion from 2009 CPU turion X2, 4G ram, 1G ATI GPU, battery is nearly dead
>>
>>47519843
>tfw running gentoo on c2d duo laptop
no face since I booted win for witcher 1, but it feels great
>>
>>47519722
Holy shit dat cluttered mess of a dock.

I wouldn't even wish that to my worst enemy.
>>
>>47521249
>hp
you might as well buy a new one, but you havent even listed what you need it for, so its hard to answer
>>
>>47520972

This. Unless we go +$2k the competition doesn't live up to them. Oh wait you're getting the 15 inch version... Welp, just choose whatever you like best then.
>>
I bought a 13" retina MBP and the two bottom feet fell off, Apple doesn't want to fix it :(
>>
>>47521249
Really depends on what you are about to do with it.

If you don't play games, get an old laptop and upgrade to a SSD, it really speeds up any device.

Speaking of Laptops, you might also want to upgrade to a better battery and bear in mind to only upgrade if it is really really necessary.

Hardware is aging too fast to settle properly.
>>
File: 1396502852319.jpg (108KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1396502852319.jpg
108KB, 800x800px
$1,800 - $2,200 for the new macbook in australia.
>>
>>47521859
1450 - 2000 € for 13 inches
2250 - 2800 € for 15 inches

in germany

How can the students in my class actually afford a mbpr. Holy fuck
>>
>>47522110
Student discounts for all Apple products, financing, and student loans.
>>
>>47522142
Student discount in this case means
1363 - 1879 €
2070 - 2575 €

which still is a shitload of money (for me).

Funny enough the new macbook is as expensive as the cheapest mbpr
>>
OP here, you guys keep saying that the rMBP is not a professional machine yet I see tons of developers, engineers and managers using them.
What's up with that?
Also, is it really fragile and not durable?
>>
>>47522913
>2010
>falling for /g/ trolls
>>
File: SIyxZ97.jpg?1h.jpg (298KB, 610x843px)
SIyxZ97.jpg?1h.jpg
298KB, 610x843px
>>47521325
>>47521483
Mostly browsing the net, watching chinese cartoon and downloading a lot of downloading.
Some encoding as well.
My current laptop cost me 820$ bought it in 2009, but last year one core got faulty, so I had to disable it and yesterday it became unresponsive and gave I/O error while copying some files, and my download folder disappeared .
So I guess the HDD is failing since SMART test failed.
So I was wondering does it worth fixing or getting new one?
>>
>>47522913
It doesn't have professional/business features (docking port, fingerprint reader, 4G modem, any servicability).
Obviously there are plenty of professionals that don't need those features and so they pick Macbooks because they do perform well and the glowing logo impresses the unwashed masses.
>>
>>47521460
Happened to me but they did change it, because other than that it was in perfect state and I was in warranty.

Overall, Macs are awesome laptops. I would never buy a desktop from Apple though. Unless it's for a technologically illiterate person.
>>
>>47523225
>Docking port
Useless and /tpg/ worthy, we're talking about a laptop not something you primarily use as home.
>Fingerprint reader
Huge meme straight out of the 00's
>4g modem
The only (arguably) useful thing you cited.
>serviceability
Less than a thinkpad, sure, but not completely absent.

It's a fucking dilemma the choice between TP and rMBP, there's not an absolute winner.
I've spent weeks on this...
>>
>>47523082
>people this retarded exist
Just end your life you wannabe hacker
>>
>>47523343
>docking port and finger print reader
>useless
Just buy a Mac you faggot. You are obviously not a real professional. And have no need for industry standard specs
>>
>>47523343
>Docking port
>useless

you got to be fucking kidding me
>>
>>47523225
I haven't seen a docking port in like 5+ years.
Fingerprint readers are gee whiz neat but unless you commit to making everyone use it IT considers it a discretionary choice on the user's part
I can't think of a single 4G capable laptop that people take seriously; everyone who needs that just gets a portable hotspot like a MiFi
Serviceability is the only criterion you listed that wasn't naive, but there's a threshold where you're no longer allowed to get your laptop replaced at an Apple store (let's say confidential information on the drive), and 90% or more of employees are never cleared for that kind of information in the first place, so you're obsessing over nothing.

Most IT services get outsourced to whomever; Dell is popular purely because of its extended warranty. I've worked in IT before and it's just retarded to do anything in-house unless it's really trivial, which is pretty rare and often discretionary (user wants more RAM, users hard drive crashed, etc...).
>>
>>47523343
>Useless and /tpg/ worthy, we're talking about a laptop not something you primarily use as home.
I have a docking station and I bought it because I wasn't primarily using the laptop at home.
If that was the case, I'd just plug the peripherals in the laptop's ports.
I use my laptop at the university and at home every day and so a docking port and station save me the trouble of plugging the monitor, mouse keyboard, ethernet speakers all in every day.
>>
>>47523464
>>47523421
Docking ports haven't been common in businesses in like a decade. It makes practically no sense to purchase on that basis. Now people bring their laptops (Thinkpads, Macbooks, whatever) to work and plug in. That's it. I've seen one or two people with devices *like* Belkin port things (thunderbolt or USB 3.0 -> hub, display, etc...), but even those INCREDIBLY rare, and people only got them because they were reasonably interchangeable. You didn't have to have a laptop that lined up perfectly like a dock often does; you just need a device with that port (and if it was USB, most do).

Maybe you're using "dock" as a catch-all for "hub" or something?
>>
>>47523473
>I haven't seen a docking port in like 5+ years.
The fact that you haven't seen one doesn't mean they're not useful.
>>
>>47523516
Sure, but jackhammers are useful too. They're not used in businesses, by most businesspeople, so these criteria are, in the strictest sense, total nonsense.
>>
>>47523421
Tell me at least 2 good uses of the fpr and 2 professional scenarios where you'd be using a docking station.

I'm not trying to shill Apple, and I'm awfully unsure about what I'll buy (since 2k yuros it's kind of a big deal for me), but you sound an awful lot like an idiot parroting /g/
>>
>>47523565
Using finger print readers for credential and key access instead of messing around with multiple passwords. Use fingerprint reader for easy login into computer. Literally in any scenario where a password might be required. The docking station is useful but not many people use it nowadays outside of a business environment. I know I don't use it on my computer. But it is nice to be able to dock your laptop and switch over to larger monitor and nicer keyboard and mouse. It essential turns your laptop into a desktop. You may not need these things but they aren't useless.
>>
>>47523421
industry standard specs don't trust fingerprint readers. Virtually all readers embedded in laptops are preposterously easy to defeat by a *determined* hacker.

There are two types of attacks: incidental and determined. Incidental hackers are the guys that steal your laptop at the train station. Encrypt your drive, use a strong password, and you're set. This is what consumers should do (although many skip the first step).

Determined attackers will spend considerable effort attempting to defeat the encryption. This is why you need strong encryption, but the fear is more that your password will be defeated rather than defeating the encryption scheme itself. So you use two factor authentication, with a device separated from the laptop. That should buy you more time, but ultimately if you want confidence you set up a remote kill switch of some sort, and probably tracking.

I can tell you, none of these preclude one from using a Macbook. I have a friend who works at Facebook and his company-issued rMBP has a tracker and everything; you can actually see a nonstandard green LED indicator if you peer in through the right side USB port.

There are security measures and then there's security theater. You sound like you've been taken in by /g/'s delusional theatrics.
>>
>>47523654
On fingerprint readers, see >>47523665. Specifically, fingerprint readers are stupidly easy to defeat, and importantly it's impossible to rotate keys if someone finds a way to trick the sensor into thinking the gelatin or whatever other material is legit (that's the only real hurdle; lifting a CEO's fingerprints literally just amounts to rummaging through the trash for 2 minutes after he finishes a cup of coffee).
>>
>>47523531
Docking ports are useful when you want to use a laptop for productivity ( productivity that benefits from an external display, mechanical keyboard and other peripherals) at more than one location.
This makes them useful in plenty of businesses.
Why they aren't used more often beats me.
>>
>>47523733
They're not used more often because people have unique wants when it comes to their peripherals, and faggot laptop manufacturers decided that they'd keep the gravy train running by making each dock proprietary to their own model. Even when people aggregated around Thinkpads, docks for various models made it impossible to reliably say that there would be a dock for your laptop somewhere unless it was your office or workspace.

Ultimately, those belkin hubs *survived* (I wouldn't use "won", because that's too strong a word) because you just plugged into a standard port. It not only made more cognitive sense, but it was more versatile; if you upgraded or left the company, that device still worked for people with devices using USB ports or "Thunderbolt" devices. At least that meant you just had to be in the right general brand space.

Laptops are sufficiently powerful that they can drive 4k displays on their own using integrated components, so you shouldn't need a dock clamping on to your laptop to allow you to get that working.

But these are all null points. The point is that docks are exceedingly rare, and buying on the premise that you're prepared for a dock if one appears is absolute nonsense.

By all means, buy on standard ports if you're looking for a reason to rule out a MBP or MBA, but if you start excluding good laptops just because you need a VGA port, start reconsidering a simple adapter and re-expanding your list of viable laptop choices. You shouldn't be hamstrung just because of the fear that someone will have an old projector and you won't have the necessary adapter; just carry the adapter.
>>
>>47523860
Literally every business class laptop from every manufacture that makes enterprise grade laptops has a dock. I don't know who brought up docks as a selling point but for users outside of a business environment they aren't very useful unless you want to plug your laptop in and use it like a desktop when you're at your desk. From reading all these posts a MacBook will be a good fit for you since you have the intent on spending a lot of money for a laptop.
>>
>>47523860
>buying on the premise that you're prepared for a dock if one appears is absolute nonsense.

I didn't buy a laptop with a docking port to be prepared IF I came across a docking station.
I bought a laptop with a docking port because I knew a laptop would give me all the performance I needed, so it could be my only computer and I'd be buying a docking station because it makes using it at home with peripherals so much easier.
>>
File: belkin-be-F4U085bt-9.jpg (10KB, 600x99px) Image search: [Google]
belkin-be-F4U085bt-9.jpg
10KB, 600x99px
>>47523944
the point was that docks differ between lines and between brands. Companies don't like getting entrenched in that shit in addition to the laptop purchase the employee makes. Most companies just get you a laptop and some peripherals, and it's up to you to figure out that the HDMI cable plugs into the HDMI port, but they assume you can handle the stress of doing that on a daily basis.

It sounds increasingly like you're misusing "enterprise" for something else. Maybe government/contract work? I've interned/worked at a number of tech companies in the last 5 years and never seen a dock. Like I said, they're impractical and offer (at best) only marginally more than something like those belkin hubs, which don't demand that you have exactly the right docking layout. And again, these are relatively rare.
>>
>>47519722

If you need convincing, it's probably because you could barely afford one. If that's not the case and you could easily afford it, I don't see why you shouldn't buy it.
>>
what exactly does a dock offer that a hub doesn't? I'm seeing USB 3.0 hubs with ethernet, DVI out, etc... that means I would just need a laptop with a USB port, rather than a Thinkpad for my Thinkpad dock. What's the appeal?

Does the docking port offer better latency or something quantitative? Is it just that it puts the laptop at a bit of an incline and that's nicer to type on? How many USB ports does it offer you? Is it that you're gaining a bunch of IO ports?

Seriously, someone please do me the favor of outlining *exactly* what makes a dock so useful. Feel free to be domain specific (like if your use case is only relevant in your job), but please don't do any vague hand-waiving about general "performance" or something
>>
>>47524022
Idk what backwoods wannabe startup town you live in but here in California most companies use them. Most companies have contracts with one specific manufacture and they lend out laptops to employees along with docking stations. Some companies have gone the apple way or just let employees login remotely from home using a personal laptop and a company desktop in the office. It depends on what you do.
>>
>>47524073
Performance of USB 3 hubs have been poor in comparison real docking connectors

Plus 1 dock connector = power + i/o

Also, USB ports are rated for 1,500 reconnect and disconnect cycles so they will wear out
>>
>>47519722
Why so many people need laptops

are you all hippies who need to code around flowers?
>>
>>47519898

Has anyone here ever regretted buying a Macbook Pro or Macbook Air with a maxed out CPU?

I heard they are harder on the battery but I'm wondering if that extra processing power is worth it.
>>
>>47524073
A USB dock needs drivers and won't charge your laptop.
Also the port selection is usually pretty sparse giving you only 1 external display (HDMI, I get Display port and DVI on my docking station).
>>
I bought the baseline 2015 Macbook Pro 13", it's pretty good but I used a friends Uni discount - definitely see if you can borrow someone's Uni login.
Mac OS tip:
LEARN
THE
FUCKING
GESTURES

Makes me so mad seeing OS X vets using cmd+tab and the dock the swap apps when the built in gestures are great.
>>
>>47524073
>video output through usb
>Ethernet through usb
>no power through usb hub
Are you just shitposting now or are you really this stupid. It seems you don't even know what a dock is for or why it's used yet you keep shilling for muh MacBook. So just buy a MacBook already. No one really gives a shit. It's not like you will do anything important with whatever laptop you get.
>>
>>47524111
Well we do live in our own little bubble. I wouldn't describe us as backwoods, though.
>>
>>47524116
>usb ports are rated for 1500 reconnect and disconnect cycles
1: I'm sorry, I need a source on that or for you to be like "HAH I was only pretended to be retarded!!1"
2: so is docking such a frequent thing that it happens a lot? I would think that if this were such a marginal thing people would be keeping track of which ports they were preferring (I notice that I use the left port more often for some reason, should I make a concerted effort to use the one on the right more?).
>>
>>47524206
Are we supposed to be impressed?
>>
>>47524206
>Stanford university
>can't make a small decision about which laptop will suit him best

I found the compulsive liar guys.
>>
>>47524226
What? That obviously wasn't the point. You made the veiled accusation that I was from some backwoods town outside of California and had no clue what modern/burgeoning tech companies were doing. I'm illustrating that you're grossly off the mark.
>>
>>47524240
I'm not OP, I was just taking issue with your idiotic claims about how ubiquitous docks are in companies. I didn't realize it was necessary to clarify that someone with a strong opinion was different from the OP, who was clearly wavering. I thought it was obvious I wasn't him, but evidently I need to be clearer from now on.
>>
>>47519834
underrated post
>>
>>47524189
So use thunderbolt or whatever the PC version is.
>>
>>47524223
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Durability

In a light use case scenario where you dock and undock 1 a day you will be putting in 1092 cycles assuming a 182 day work year
>>
>>47524223
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Overview
Would you also like a tutorial on how to search for things on the internet?
>>
>>47524226
>Idk what backwoods wannabe startup town you live in
>*posts proof that he lives at Stanford*
>I'm not impressed
literally is there a place that he could've posted from that would have rekt you harder?
>>
>>47524262
You obviously don't. All the hipster companies and startups are going MacBook route the rest of the older more established companies stay on the enterprise path. It also largely depends on what you do. If you are a webdev it really doesn't matter what you use if you are a hardware engineer it's a different situation.
>>
>>47524339
He probably only paid attention to the speeds.
I did and was about to post something similar before taking a second look.
>>
>>47519722
You don't need a $2,000 machine to take class notes and browse /g/ on. Get a solid $500 laptop and spend the rest of the cash on a capable desktop to do actual work on
>>
>>47524328
This simply doesn't match the reality of people's use. People own laptops for years and use USB devices frequently. How can USB possibly actually only be rated for 1500 unless everyone is just quietly tolerating their USB ports failing on them? Is this an intentionally conservative rating/estimate?
>>
>>47524339
I live in Los gatos along with the rest of the Silicon Valley faggots. Coming out of Stanford litterally means shit here in California. The only thing people care about is if you have the talent and can get shit done. Hence if you think your prestigious will earn you any respect you are dead wrong. I known engineers coming out of Fresno state with more talent than some of those Stanford guys. It doesn't mean shit out here.
>>
>>47524384
It's probably conservative, but that's still 4 years of daily insertion.
I'm not sure there are many people actually reaching hitting that.
>>
>>47524424

Then why is it easier for them to get jobs in Silicon Valley?

>The only thing people care about is if you have the talent

Give us an example of this talent.
>>
>>47524424
The point at hand was whether I was from some backwoods startup wannabe town. Your opinion of Stanford is irrelevant. It's also not reflected by the behavior of people I see (I went to a public university for my undergrad and people treated me differently after I came to Stanford), but that's totally unrelated to the point, which is that I have at least a passing sense of what people down the street are up to.
>>
>>47524520
Why is it easy for Indians to come here and get sponsored visas? Why is it easy for Chinese to pay their way through school displacing American students? Why are a shit ton of Iranians pouring into our schools by Iranian sponsored programs? You have been Swindled into thinking a prestigious degree means anything in the tech world. It's about real talent. Which is why students coming out of cal poly are highly recruited. They have a curriculum that stresses real skill and experience over mindless memorization. Talent is hard to come by, you constantly hear about people being headhunted by other companies out here. I work for Apple and the last few years I been working with some guys that got swooped up from amd. They got the royal treatment because they have talent not prestigious degrees.

>>47524543
If you did you wouldn't be shilling for hubs. Go look elsewhere besides startups and web dev houses, you will see that docks are still used heavily. Like I keep saying it depends on what you do.
>>
>>47523082
>$820 laptop from 2009

I think you're due for an upgrade.
>>
>>47519807
>>47519820

this, the gtx 750m is a more than two year old card. just wait a few weeks for broadwell + maxwell and maybe a price decrease
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.