[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.cordcuttersnews.com/aver age-united-states-downlo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 11

File: Capture.jpg (35KB, 641x312px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
35KB, 641x312px
http://www.cordcuttersnews.com/average-united-states-download-speed-jumps-10mbps-in-just-one-year-to-33-9mbps/

HAPPENING
>>
thanks Google and that one Washington county that installed their own gigabit network
>>
>>47159910
Still pretty low but nice to see you guys are getting there
>>
>50% increase in 12 months

Isn't it supposed to double every 18 months?
>>
File: the most beautiful girl.jpg (52KB, 1233x150px) Image search: [Google]
the most beautiful girl.jpg
52KB, 1233x150px
>50 is the budget option my german ISP offers
>can go up to 200 for 20 eurobucks more per month
>Germany considered pretty far behind in Europe
>>
>>47160069
>not having gigabit
>2015

yuropoorz

20GB blurays are done downloading by the time I take a shit.
>>
>>47160069
Just checked again. They're now up to 60 minimum and I'm stuck with a 24 month contract for 50 I just switched to like 2 months ago if I don't want a fee to change it.
Fuck me.
>>
>>47160116
>gigabit

ISP?
>>
File: 2.png (1MB, 1500x1300px) Image search: [Google]
2.png
1MB, 1500x1300px
meanwhile yuroshit internet continues to stagnate

by 2016 Time Warner will have minimum 50mbits for everyone
>>
>>47160143
suddenlink
>>
>>47160116
You clearly don't have gigabit internet.

Because if you did you'd know that there are usually other bottlenecks even at 100mbps.
Gigabit is only useful in a flat or office with dozens of people downloading at the same time.
>>
>>47159947

Our country is bigger than most of your continent, Eurofriend. It's a lot harder and more expensive to wire Internet here.
>>
>>47160157
>German average 8.7

What kind of shithole has less than 10 in Germany?
Seriously 60 is now the worst my ISP offers. I couldn't get less than that even if I wanted to.
>>
>>47160181
KEK

It's 2015. Gigabit ethernet is years old you dumb dumb. My SSD can store faster than 125MB/s. You were close though. Yes, most people won't even touch gigabit but if you have the proper setup and hardware you can.
>>
tfw canadian tfw with taxes and jewish bullshit even third party isp's are 40$ a month for 5mbps dsl

tfw I will never have 100mbps connection unless its 2035 because shits over 100$
>>
>>47160185
I know that. Germany is a very tightly crowded country and it's easy to upgrade cables and shit while you have many miles of no man's land between your cities.
It's just nice to see you getting better internet at last.
>>
>>47160157
>Americans think 10mbps is "high speed"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
Even 5 mb per second is fucking amazing to me
>>
>>47160202
Bottlenecks on the servers/network you dumb nigger.

>pretending you have faster internet that you have.
- pathetic.
>>
File: ece.png (111KB, 300x333px) Image search: [Google]
ece.png
111KB, 300x333px
>>47159976
>not 3000% increase in 10 years
>>
>>47160214

And the US as a WHOLE still beats Germany in every single speed measuring website.
>>
>10mbps/1mbps internet in 2001
>15mbps/1mbps in 2004
>30mbps/2mbps in 2008 (upped to 5mbps upload 2009)
>101mbps/35mbps in 2011
curious to see when we get the next bump. DOCSIS 3.0 equipment can do 343mbps if I recall correctly
>>
>Live in third world country
>200/200 connection
>$70
I've also lived in the U.S. Kek at the shit connections. At least Google is finally bringing you up to speed.
>>
>>47160249
That's why I said earlier that I'm dumbfounded where this comes from.
People in my state (Not country, but state of Germany. Maybe I live in a sweet spot) are unable to get less than 60 with a new cable contract.
>>
>>47160285
This is where I live btw
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Rhine-Westphalia
>>
>>47160202
>Comparing internet speeds to SSD write speeds
how retarded do you have to be..
>>
>>47160185

>people still using the size argument for having shitty internet

Look, if you alreayd have access to broadband, your ISP has no reason to put data caps and charge a premium for speeds. The only reason they do is because of a lack of competition.

The size problem was dealt with in the 90s when the government built a nationwide fiber backbone because they realized that the internet was kind of a big deal. Almost all speeds upgrades since then have come through better implementations of data transfer over that fiber, not from new fiber being dug into the ground.
>>
>Google Fiber expands
>speed suddenly jumps across the board

Didn't Comcast claim it had plenty competition?
>>
>>47159910
The google fiber effect
>>
>>47160188

My guess is rural former DDR areas or some shit.
>>
>>47160501
>>47160504

Google Fiber is in only 3 cities.

Try again, faggot.
>>
>>47160157
One big difference is that Europeans don't have data caps.

What use is 100mbps when can't even download more than 300GB per month?
>>
>>47160518
You might be right on spot there. Didn't really think of that since western Germany pumped so much money into that region since the reunification. They might still be quite a bit behind.
>>
>>47160541
>data caps

Seriously how is this even a thing anymore? Europeans would revolt over that.
>>
>>47160157
I'm surprised that North Dakota has such low speeds seeing how there's nothing out there to get in the way of infrastructure improvements,and how there's a boom going.
>>
>>47160537

The Google Fiber effect is primarily from normal ISPs upgrading speeds and lowering prices in places where Google Fiber is expected to be avalible in order to avoid losing costumers when it actually does arrive.

It's a predictable reaction in a situation where competition is getting fiercer.
>>
>>47160554
To clarify.. I'm thinking about rural areas here.

I live in a shitty town (about 1000 inhabitants) no one cares about in NRW 40km from the next city and I can still get 200 Mbps, but that might not be the case in the former DDR.

Berlin sure, but there might be lots small villages where no one wants to invest for 1000 people to get fiber.
>>
>>47159910
>33MBPS
WOAH that's like 240Mbps!

>the title is capitalized, it's 33Mbps
>>
>>47160586

And Google Fiber is still in only 3 cities you retarded mongoloid. They have a few more planned but nowhere near the amount to make a dent on current ISP's. Also according to you, all the ISP's would have to do is upgrade where Google Fiber is arriving and leave the rest of their customers in non-fiber cities with shit internet, except they aren't doing that.
>>
>>47160554

Sure, but a lot of that went into roads, some of which wasn't even paved during reunification. They've done a lot of good with the money but sadly internet speeds
have been low of the list of things to get.

I mean this site doesn't even track former DDR areas in their speed statistics.

http://www.netindex.com/download/2,27/Germany/
>>
File: janeway.jpg (26KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
janeway.jpg
26KB, 320x320px
>>47160641
And now the thread goes down the shitter
>>
>>47159910
If that's true for non mobiles speeds, that's fucking impressive.
If that's for mobile speeds, that's not impressive.
>>
>>47160659
>about 30

The speed for NRW still seems very low considering that you literally can't get less than 60 Mbps there.
Are people just too lazy to upgrade their contracts?
>>
File: speed.png (32KB, 300x135px) Image search: [Google]
speed.png
32KB, 300x135px
Seems about right.

And in a few months my speeds will jump to 200/20mbits >for free :3
>>
>>47160214
and yet our speed is way below the average in the us
>>
>>47160750
That's why it's sad to see Europe has lower speeds.
>>
File: spd.png (32KB, 300x135px) Image search: [Google]
spd.png
32KB, 300x135px
>>47160716
>>
>>47160750
>>47160767
>our

Where is "your"?

Europe has insane internet speed that's just below asian countries
>>
>>47160786 again
I'm just interested. Not trying to brag.
>>
>>47160786
Germany
>>
>>47160816
Where exactly in Germany?

My "worst" offer is 60Mbps in NRW
>>
Haha yeah, what a fucking joke.
I pay for 50mb/s. I do not get 50mb/s.
Last time I ran ookla (7 days ago?) I had a 0.5mb/s up and 1mb/s down.
>>
>>47160658

>They have a few more planned but nowhere near the amount to make a dent on current ISP's

Sure only a few are "planned" but those are just the list of confirmed places which will get it within the foreseeable future but they are in talks with hundreds of cities around the country. They are absolutely planning a nationwide service within the decade.

They won't go around saying "Yeah we're planning on expanding to NYC within the next five years" without actually having completed the negotiations and struck the deals and made sure that's actually the case.
>>
>>47160830
everywhere outside of major cities

major cities in eastern germany are also lacking. I'm studying in Dresden and you can't even get DSL in some parts of the city.
>>
>2015
>implying we need more than 1Mbps speeds
What are you downloading large snake oil files?
>>
>>47160786
>Europe has insane internet speed that's just below asian countries

Proven wrong so many times.

>hurr just because i get these speeds so does everyone else in my country
>>
>>47160857
>everywhere outside of major cities

That's what I meant.
I live in a very small village with less than 1000 people about 10 km away from this
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z%C3%BClpich
which is also pretty small and I can get 200Mbps.

Looks like rural areas in eastern Germany are still a bit fucked.
>>
I like Merkel and respect her politics but she's really fucking us up the ass on this whole internet thing. The movement that every German should have the right to fast internet was a good idea but they also counted wireless 3g/LTE internet which is fucking bullshit because it's all capped at ridiculously low amounts of data.
>>
>>47160926
I'd say 20Mbps for every German as a base value shouldn't be that hard, but really fast internet is not realistic.
>>
>>47160218
Here's the thing that people don't get. What should be mentioned is not speed, but bandwidth. Think of it like a tank and a marble. If both are at the same speed, the tank (imagine 1gbps) deals more damage hitting something than the marble (imagine 1kbps). Same SPEED, higher bandwidth (more mass). Americans may have the same speed as Europeans, but the Americans are shooting marbles at each other while Europe has WWIII and wonders why the Anericans are bringing down the average IQ of the world.
>>
Why are ISPs so lazy and greedy? Why does it take so much time to increase speeds?
>>
>>47161028
new york here
I don't even have a bandwidth cap
if I use up 2TB/day I'll eventually get a phone call (after a couple months/years) and they'll be a little perturbed
but that's all that happens
>>
>>47161127
They hoard money because they don't understand how economies function.
>>
>>47161127
because people pay 30€ for 6mbit and won't pay 50€ for 50 mbit
>>
>>47161170
I'm paying like $80 or so from comshit for 105 down and get mid 20s typically, high 20s on a really good day.

There's more to it than people not wanting to pay a lot for it. The ISPs simply don't want to spend the money to build better infrastructure even when governments give them the money to do so. They just pocket it all.
>>
>>47161127
the only way to get out of this mess is government money (which will cost way more than it would cost if the private sector would do it) or competition. Google is doing it in the US. I guarantee you the internet providers there are scared shitless about google fiber even though only a very small percentage has access to it. that's why speeds are increasing all over the place.

as long as no company does shit like this here in Germany nothing will happen. nobody will pay for new cables everywhere just to get 5€ more out of a customer. it doesn'T make any sense
>>
File: 4225311747[1].png (33KB, 300x135px) Image search: [Google]
4225311747[1].png
33KB, 300x135px
>>47159910
I'm glad you guys are getting better internet, since slow as shit ISPs that rip you off suck ass.

I upgraded to 500/500 recently. Could've gotten 1000/30 but I'd rather have the upload. 500Mbps is crazy fast anyway, I don't actually download anything large enough that 500Mbps feels slow.
>>
File: lewd.jpg (19KB, 431x433px) Image search: [Google]
lewd.jpg
19KB, 431x433px
>>47161277
That upload.
If only DSL would just fucking die and let me have equal download upload rates I'd be satisfied with a 5/5 Mbps. But nah, here have 10/0.3 just to fuck with you.
>>
>>47161356
>That upload.
I can use Steam In-Home Streaming over VPN around the city, it's awesome.

Download sometimes drops to like ~200Mbps though, I suppose I still have to yell my ISP's customer service sometime.
>>
>sell "up to" 50 mbit connections
>give them 2
Look go- friend, we are good for you!
>>
>>47159910
Nothing happened in my area.

I have 2 choices Verizon DSL (current) that can't do more then 5Mbps down before the lines starts shitting out

or Comcast, that has an archaic 300GB data cap that charges $10 per 50GB over. I'd blow that in less then two weeks.

ITS WONDERFUL TO LIVE IN A SHITHOLE
>>
>>47160489
>The size problem was dealt with in the 90s when the government built a nationwide fiber backbone because they realized that the internet was kind of a big deal.
Actually the Government gave ISPs billions of dollars to do that and they pocketed most of it.
>>
>>47161732

>i get my information from the huffington post
>>
>>47161718
Stop downloading shitty cartoons
>>
>>47160489
>The size problem was dealt with in the 90s when the government built a nationwide fiber backbone because they realized that the internet was kind of a big deal. Almost all speeds upgrades since then have come through better implementations of data transfer over that fiber, not from new fiber being dug into the ground.

That's so untrue I can't even begin to comprehend a rebuttal to it except to tell you that my entire cul de sac had no sort of internet connectivity until about 6 years ago.
>>
>>47161748
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007/pulpit_20070810_002683.html
>>
>>47161849

>pbs
>liberal writer

same thing
>>
>>47161789
Which doesn't matter because the first photonic crystal fibers became commercially available in 2000, which is what is used in modern fiber optics.
>>
>>47161860
Weren't you the one saying that it was a good thing? The federal government should be doing as little as possible to keep the US going. They're the reason we even have ISP monopolies in the first place.
>>
>>47161890
The government is the reason Europe doesn't have ISP monopolies and shit speeds.

>muh free market muthafucka!
Alright, bud. I'm sure the ISPs would all play nice if there was no regulations. Just like Standard Oil.
>>
File: business-government-crossover.jpg (499KB, 800x4200px) Image search: [Google]
business-government-crossover.jpg
499KB, 800x4200px
>>47162047
Yeah. The Government is totally looking out for your best interests amirite?
Did you forget about Five Eyes and the NSA?
>>
>>47162071
>the government entities that regulate commerce cannot be separated from law enforcement and spying agencies!
>they're the same dude, somehow the NSA is going to fuck you even harder if anti-monopoly laws are passed!
I see no reason to continue this conversation. You have a very simplistic view of the world.
>>
File: brent thumbs up gif.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
brent thumbs up gif.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>47159910
>United States download speed jumps from borderline dial-up speeds to not so slow Africa-grade download speeds in just one year!!
>>
>>47159910
Fuck that areas in Indiana still get .07 down and have a 10gb monthly limit (yes this is home internet, not mobile)
>>
I know one stupid cunt I used to hang out with that had satellite internet with a 15 gb cap.

He'd used up most of his family's data streaming anime.

Fuck that always made me mad.
>>
>live in MN
>10Gbps connections available in Minneapolis
>1Gbps connections available in surrounding suburbs
>every major cable ISP has a 50Mbps mid range plan
>even the far north is getting high speed internet in towns of just a few hundred people
>current ISP has a 50 Mbps connection for $45 a month with no data cap

Internet is pretty good in North Dakota too.
>>
>>47163183
>live in northern MN
>fiber never
>>
>>47162716
>He'd used up most of his family's data streaming anime.
15GB ain't shit for video streaming, he probably didn't even watch that much. Or maybe he did, in terrible, terrible quality.
>>
>>47159930
Thanks le reddit dank meme
>fucking comcast
>go tesla!
>>
>>47163402
He had unlimited throttled internet between midnight and 5 am.
He'd torrent anime during that time which was a good bit of what he watched.

The streaming was just low quality stuff that he didn't want to save. He complained about not having enough space on his drives and I offered to help him compress it. He didn't want to because he thought it wouldn't come out the same, even after I told him that it would.

Still, at least I got the fucker to use GNU/Linux. His Windows 7 installation shit out on him and I wouldn't help him with computer problems otherwise. He's gotten decent at fixing any issues he has with mint. I got his little brother in highschool to use it too.

He's the kind of friend that you call friend but don't actually like being around much.
>>
>>47160116
>yuropoorz

In Europe, gigabit internet is not called Google Fiber, it's a standard ISP option.
>>
>>47164625
>standard ISP option
lel find me one consumer ISP that offers gigabit here in Germany
>protip: you can't
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.