[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: We discuss why OSX is the best OS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

File: 3465467856634.png (23KB, 834x1024px) Image search: [Google]
3465467856634.png
23KB, 834x1024px
>>
ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ
>>
Is it? Last version of OS X I used was 10.6 Snow Leopard.
>>
>>47148842
topkek
>>
>>47148842

You just crashed my browser faggot, thanks! Had to type this reply from Firefox.
>>
Maybe in 2008 when the only legitimate competitor was Vista.

Microsoft has been going in a good direction since 7/8.1. Windows 10 is going to be epic. I see the appeal of Mac hardware but OS X is meh.
>>
>>47148929
Pretty much this. If Apple doesn't fix the lag and stutter issues on OSX 10.11, I'll be moving right to Windows 10.
>>
>>47148916
time to update from a two year old bug faggot.

http://hexus.net/tech/news/software/59497-simple-arabic-text-string-instantly-crashes-os-x-108-ios-6-apps/
>>
>>47148822
Well, the most recent reason I've found is it's superior scaling ability. I scaled my dpi down one notch below the default to finally take advantage of the retina resolution.
>>
Here's my honest opinion on this:

I think I use macbooks and OS X because it's pretty. I haven't used Windows in a more serious manner for years, I don't know where it is right now. Linux isn't an option, as I need a few real programs. I like how my macbook looks and how it feels and I don't actually care about the price. Sure, I could have paid way less for a plastic shit machine with technically the same specs. But I don't want to have a plastic shit machine. I don't want to have the cheapest option. I don't care, honestly. I work and it's no big deal for me to spend 2000 EUR for a computer once every five years. Especially considering that this is the object I spend the most time with in my life. I might as well use something that feels good under my fingers.

Yes, I bought a computer for completely untechnical reasons. Just because I like how it looks and feels. I didn't even consider any alternatives, because I knew what I wanted. Judge me, I don't give a fuck.
>>
>>47148929
Did Microsoft implement a shell in Windows 7/8/10?

No? Then everything since Vista has been rearranging the furniture/polishing a turd/other meaningless changes.
>>
>>47149257
This. If you're using OS X because you do development shit then your options are Linux and OS X, unless Microsoft gets serious about making a livable environment for developers. Linux is a great server operating system, and I remote into CentOS machines every day, but OS X is a better desktop OS that incidentally supports a real shell and everything else you need underneath.

You shouldn't have to do any serious server work on your MBP, but having a system vaguely consistent with whatever you're remoting into is really helpful.
>>
>>47149231
This is pretty much every Mac user's reasoning, which isn't a terrible thought process. It's why I got my rMBP. I intend to use this for at least five years. I've loved every minute of it so far.
>>
File: 1422787339098.gif (1010KB, 400x320px) Image search: [Google]
1422787339098.gif
1010KB, 400x320px
>>47149445
>This is pretty much every Mac user's reasoning,
You giant horrific cunt. How fucking dare you make such grand sweeping generalizations. You made a choice based on banality. Outstanding. Don't fucking lump people like me into whatever faggot tribe you associate with.
>>
File: Will Smith.jpg (19KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Will Smith.jpg
19KB, 300x300px
>>47149497
>>
I use OS X because Unixiness, Core Audio, and Time Machine.
>>
>>47149497
>You made a choice based on banality.
>Usability, design and aesthetics of an item you use 5-10hrs a day is banality

Did you forget to take your autism medicine today?
>>
>>47148952
>lag and stutter issues
I run OS X 10.10.2 on a hackintosh and I've never had these issues. I've used OS X on this Dell Inspiron 13z since 10.8.3... So, my conclusion is that you have inferior hardware because I'm running on UNSUPPORTED hardware that's similar to a MacBook Air (with the obvious exception of i3) and I've not had the issues you speak of.
>>
>>47149837
Stutter is a real thing on my 2012 1st rev rMBP, but not nearly bad enough to warrant switching to Windows of all things
>>
Snow Leopard is the best operating system ever made.
>>
>>47149954
If only Apple would do another "no new features" release.
>>
>>47150024
The rumors are that Apple is actually planing something like that for this year's iOS 9 and 10.11. They really should.
>>
>>47149914
I will admit that system ram consumption seems a lot higher in Yosemite than Mavericks, but not UNUSABLY so.
>>
>>47148842

> implying I will ever use some terrorist font

Thx Apple.
>>
>>47150096
In Yosemite the system tries to use as much RAM as possible, with the idea that empty RAM is wasted RAM. The RAM usage you're seeing is not necessarily needed by your applications, it's just the OS trying to speed things up as much as possible
>>
>>47149257
>has never heard of PowerShell
Have you been living under a rock?
>>
>>47150096

more RAM usage = less virtual memory usage = higher life-quality for the SSD.

I have the 16GB rMBP, and right now I'm using 10GB of RAM even though I only have iTunes, Safari (4 tabs) and QuickTime oppened.
>>
>>47149445
13 or 15?

I like the size of the 13 but feel like the 15 is more geared toward development.
>>
>>47149696
probably not, as he spent all his autismbux on a new waifu body pillow
>>
>>47150210
>15 is more geared toward development
Kind of less than it used to be, now they don't have dedicated GPUs by default

Also I own the 15" and it seems uncomfortably large in meetings and on planes. I'm looking at moving to the 13" eventually, or maybe the new 12" Macbook, once it gets benchmarked, and as long as it isn't too huge a performance step down
>>
>>47150135
>>47150195

I have 6Gb of ram which is below the norm for a MacBook, but I noticed Yosemite uses all but about 512Mb for six programs. (The most intensive of which is Chrome.)

The only downside to Yosemite's new RAM consumption policy is that I occasionally like to run a virtualbox to fuck around in, but that hasn't been viable because it lags like hell.
>>
>>47150242

I run gnome on virtualbox just fine, no lags at all, what is your macbook?
>>
>>47150135
I hate when people say this. It's absolutely false.

What you see in your system monitor when you see 16/16 GB used or whatever isn't allocated RAM, it's RAM available for immediate allocation to processes. It's just marked as usable.

Do you even know what you're talking about? What would "use as much RAM as possible" even mean? Do you think kernel_task writes random bits to 4 GB of memory as a way to "speed up" your system?

It's just fucking earmarked for use, it's not the system using RAM, you are a retard.
>>
>>47150242
VirtualBox works fine on OSX. If you can't figure out how to get it to work, then you clearly cannot handle computing devices and should consider another hobby.
>>
>>47150210
I vote for 13. I have two friends with a 15" and I feel their workflow is not really suited for a large display. I mean it doesn't really hurt, but they almost exclusively use programs in full screen and quickly switch between them with the trackpad (which is also what I do). The days where you squeeze multiple apps on one workspace are kind of over. I hardly ever do that anymore. I guess to work like that efficiently you need something like 21"+. And 13" is just such a cozy size to carry around.
>>
>>47150287
Caching you idiotic cuck. Mommy and daddy are talking, go back to kindergarten.
>>
>>47150271
It's a Dell Inspiron 13z. I'm not saying it WON'T run. I'm saying I allocated around a third of my ram for virtualbox functions in Mavericks without a problem, and in Yosemite, I'm able to scale that back and get the same performance. But if I try to go over that 3rd, It feels sluggy. It could just be me. I'll run comparative benchmarks at a later date.

>>47150306
You haven't read anything I've posted, clearly, and are trying to troll me based on something that you know nothing about. I rebuke your statement, and add that you should fuck yourself.
>>
>>47148822
It's not windows, it's not linux. It's pre-installed on the best laptop I could get so I use it.

>>47148842
Chrome and mac here. Nice try but it doesn't work.
>>
>>47150350
kek.
>>
>>47150240
Not going to be developing anything that uses OpenGL/OpenCL or anything. Will I really need that discrete graphics card?

I plan to be docked most of the time and used to think 15" was the way to go because of more ports, but now it seems the 13" and the 15" have the same number of ports and I'm wondering whether I really need those extra two CPU cores for development.
>>
>>47150360
>You haven't read anything I've posted, clearly, and are trying to troll me based on something that you know nothing about. I rebuke your statement, and add that you should fuck yourself.
I don't give a fuck. You're asking a question that just demonstrates incompetence. Cry more.
>>
>>47150350
>implying you're not getting cucked by steve jobs as we speak
>>
>>47150425
Erm... no.
>You're asking a question
No. I didn't ask a single thing.
>demonstrates incompetence.
Right. Except, I didn't. You did, though, when you elected to not read and assumed I was asking questions and unable to get virtualbox working. Neither of which were the case.
>>
>>47150393
I upgraded my 15" rMBP to include the discrete card, and it doesn't seem to help that much other than drain battery life quicker
>>
File: the-best-mac.jpg (6KB, 140x250px) Image search: [Google]
the-best-mac.jpg
6KB, 140x250px
goddamnit I wish I had this picture in higher resolution

>>47148822
OSX is okay. Just, okay. Used pretty much every version from 10.1 to now extensively at some point, except for maybe 10.7/8/9.
I still think 10.4 looks the absolute best out of all, aesthetically. I wish I still had my damn iBook that I ran it on, would have made a great netbook if it had a wifi card (it was from 2001).

I have a early 2014 MBA (kind of wish I waited a few more months before getting it, but my previous machines were on their way out, fucking Acer pieces of shit). Mostly run Windows on the thing.

OSX is nice, but I don't think it's better enough than Windows to bother with all the time. Linux is a nicer Unix experience, and Windows runs all the software I use. OSX does have a nice sense of polish though, even random freeware shit has a level of polish that seems to be completely absent on similar software for Windows or Linux (or even equal -- sometimes the OSX interface for some multiplatform programs is different and better overall, and it's not just because it adheres to Apple's HID)

also, OSX at least gets a bit better battery life than Windows (but not the 9 hours Apple said, more like 5-7 -- I get 4-6 in Windows)

>>47149257
powershell is actually pretty nice from what I've seen of it, but I haven't really bothered too much
>>
>>47150240

You'll miss the specs of the 15.

I did what you're thinking. I bought a rMBP 15 first gen and then dropped down to a Haswell 13 rMBP and I went right back to the Haswell 13 rMBP.

Only in a plane or if you're going around to crowded places will its size make difference. Every other time, you're getting screwed out of running all the VMs and having a lot of tabs open and not having it be slow.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.