[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people insist on using Windows? I mean, if there specific

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 15

File: 1415746599625.jpg (166KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1415746599625.jpg
166KB, 1280x720px
Why do people insist on using Windows? I mean, if there specific applications that tie you to the OS, then I can understand. For day to day usage, Windows is inefficient and unreliable. NTFS is a gigantic pile of garbage compared to something like BTRFS or even EXT4 since it only journals the metadata and you can’t even do full snapshots with it. “M-muh gaymes” doesn’t count as an excuse.

In short, why aren't you using GNU/Linux or *BSD, /g/?
>>
Bumping.
It seems that this board is made up mostly of shills, bots, and government agents.
>>
>>47093712
Because it just works, although Mac osx is better
>>
>>47093712
Normals and your average retarded citizen? Because that's what comes installed by defaults

Anyone on /g/? Kids that can't mess up dad's computer and gaymers.
>>
> implying ext4 isn't retarded

Must be newfag
>>
>>47094049
Its about time anon. I just dont want to spend hours on configure linux, i dont care that i can change my graphical desktop environmen to put some animu girls and other stuff.

Windows have everything i need, and if i really need linux i have virtual box.
>>
>>47094077
>implying NTFS and HFS+ aren't retarded
You must be pleb, non-developer consumerist scum
>>
>>47093712
OH LOOK! It's this thread again
>>
>>47093840
This level of paranoid isn't psychologically healthy anon
>>
>>47093712
I'm simply not worrying about the inner workings of my filesystem in day to day usage
>>
>>47093712
But I'm running Debian sid right now.

If you weren't making the same shit clickbaity threads every day, OP, maybe this board would be better.
>>
>>47094131
That level of "paranoia", as you like to call it, is nothing but the truth. If everyone actually read and understood the Snowden revelations, that would be naught but a baseline.
>>
>>47094106
>Hours
More like minutes, anon.
>Install any distro that comes with your preferred DE
>Add repos if needed
>Install programs
>Configure programs if needed

You could even write a simple script to do it for you, so that you don't have to do it every time you re-install your system.
>>
>>47094224
>rite a simple script to do it for you, so that you don't have to do it every time you re-install your system.

But there is no good DE. Thats why i dont like Opensource that much. People split into 123248732 groups and all of them make shitty. Instead of 2 gropus with 2 polished products
>>
>>47093712
Because I like playing vidya games.
>>
>>47094250
>Instead of 2 gropus with 2 polished products
We have those, they are called Canonical (Ubuntu) and Red Hat (responsable for systemd).
>>
>>47094250
What do you mean there is no good DE? What's wrong with MATE of XFCE? Those aren't "polished" enough for you? You can even apply themes to change the look of the DE.
>>
>>47094277
>We have those, they are called Canonical (Ubuntu) and Red Hat (responsable for systemd).
s

More like Amazuntu
>>
>>47094277
People always overlook openSUSE.
>>
>I mean, if there specific applications that tie you to the OS, then I can understand.

That would be the reason boss.
>>
>>47093712
Anon, please shut the fuck up. I'm so sick of /g/'s hyperboles all the fucking time. I don't use Windows but it's not any of the things you just mentioned. Fuck off cancer. Don't come back ever again.
>>
>>47093712
Because Visual Studio is the superior environment if you want to do more than fizzbuzz.
>>
>>47094203
You were talking about /g/, why would a shill or government agent waste their time on a shit website like this?
>>
>general public
It came pre-installed
It's what they know
CLI is really scary
All the shortcomings don't really have a noticeable impact on usual tasks (browsing internet, streaming/playing media)

>tech-literates
Vidya
Some sort of software requires it. For me it's AutoCAD.
It came pre-installed and they're lazy
>>
>>47094323
No need to get buttblasted, anon. Just hide the thread if you don't want to see it.
>>
>>47094324
If your IDE is smarter than you, you're just an ape.

A real shell with some well-made tools is infinitely more powerful.
>>
>>47093712
They have better video drivers than Linux or Mac. I gotta play mah vidyas, man.
>>
>>47094366
You know you can install the same proprietary graphics drivers on GNU/Linux as you would on Windows, right?
>>
>>47094395
>Nvidia still officially supports platforms like Solaris and FreeBSD
Best GPU vendor
>>
"My games" is probably the biggest reason I won't switch, but there's probably minor things that I'm used to in Windows, that I wouldn't like in Linux.

Not that the Windows way is superior - I'm just used to it. Something as simple as default actions in explorer, key shortcuts, etc.
>>
>>47094453
Nearly all hardware vendors offer "official" support for linux these days.
>>
How bad is the overhead if I'm using a VM in Linux to run games and CAD software?
>>
>>47094475
>default actions in explorer, key shortcuts

>Implying those can't be set up easily
>>
>>47093712
>>
- /g/ is exaggerates the risks of using about closed-source software, "bodnets," etc. Admittedly, some things really are bundled with spyware or don't respect the privacy or rights of its end users, but it should be apparent when this is the case. I keep close tabs on my network usage, and I'm well aware of what information is being sent to whom. My Windows installation doesn't exhibit any kind of behavior to suggest it's "phoning home."

- Viruses and other malware are similarly exaggerated. Common sense should be enough to keep you safe. I haven't used any anti-virus software in several years. Then again, I don't go around download cracks, torrenting games and other shit.

- I do use Linux in addition to Windows. There are times when I've used Linux predominantly, only to reinstall Windows at a later time. For the most part, I use LiveCD distros for tasks away from my home computer, such as when I'm using a friend's computer.

- I'm not using Linux on my home computer currently because I haven't had much success finding suitable drivers for my hardware. Windows definitely has a much richer driver database. It can be difficult to get even the most basic of hardware to be recognized by a Linux distro. I've tried literally a dozen distros on this machine so far, and something is always broken.

>Windows is inefficient and unreliable

No one should have to remind you that the burden of proof lies on the person making the claim. Windows is absolutely not inefficient. I'm running Windows on a toaster oven with no more than 1 GB RAM. My installation is configured to be just as lightweight as a Linux distro running LXDE.
>>
windows is unusable on the desktop, it's a server OS.
>>
>>47094395
However Linux graphics drivers are worse than the Windows ones, especially AMD's.
>>
>>47094531
>>47094534

Yes, that's right. Stay tied to your proprietary botnet with kernel level NSA backdoors that Microsoft or any other auditors will never reveal under the threat of assassination.
>>
>>47094553
eh i get better fps in csgo in leenox than i did in windows, this is with nvidia tho
>>
File: what_the_hyuck_am_i_reading.png (79KB, 250x238px) Image search: [Google]
what_the_hyuck_am_i_reading.png
79KB, 250x238px
>>47094564
>>
>>47094395
But they aren't really the same. Windows will outperform Linux when it comes to performance in games. Until hear about a video driver being the equivalent to its Window counterpart, I won't be switching any time soon.
>>
>>47093712
>For day to day usage, Windows is inefficient and unreliable.
I don't care about efficient because I have wildly more computing power than I need for running OS operations due to my other program needs.

I will contest your unreliability claim. I have more hardware faults than I do software. I also have a much faster deployment time for changes to the OS or my software. It's effectively faster for me.

>NTFS is a gigantic pile of garbage compared to something like BTRFS or even EXT4 since it only journals the metadata and you can’t even do full snapshots with it.

Who cares? My problem with storage isn't the file system it's hardware failures. As soon as I must do redundant hardware protection I have no issue other than the annoying cost of the duplicate hardware.
>>
>>47093712
Imagine this..
I grew up with a bike, i learned to ride it, i learned to maintain and use it properly.. Sure, it breaks down from time to time, but the solutions are simple and most can be done by yourself..
Thats windows for you..

Now second scenario, you are me, you had the bike experience, would you try to build the bike from scratch yourself or get an obscure monobike, that has parts sure, but they are hard to come by.. Also, you would have to learn how to ride it..

Isn't it just easier to stick with what you know?
When it does what it is supposed to do, get you from A to B..
I sure as hell don't see a reason for myself, to change OS, when the one i got is doing everything i want, just as i want it..

Conformity /g/ent.. conformity
>>
>>47094594
>I also have a much faster deployment time for changes to the OS or my software. It's effectively faster for me.
Please expound on this.

>Who cares?
You should. Can you do incremental backups in Windows?
>>
moshi moshi baito desu
>>
>>47094638
Right on brother.
>>
>>47094638
>Now second scenario, you are me, you had the bike experience, would you try to build the bike from scratch yourself or get an obscure monobike, that has parts sure, but they are hard to come by.. Also, you would have to learn how to ride it.

This analogy is false.
>>
>>47094661
How so?
>>
>>47094580
Can't really talk about the performance, but my personal (short) experience with the AMD drivers was problems with Xorg (recent drivers don't support the most recent Xorg) and Kodi not working probably (freezes when enabling Vsync).
Open source drivers work with the most recent Xorg version, but the performance of them is just bad and I can't even load GNOME or KDE5 because they just freeze.

Nvidia's drivers were fine for me, but still setting up graphic drivers on Linux is more of a pain than on Windows.
>>
Because i like Windows but not GNU/Linux
It's just not my thing. You may like configuring how you OS works and shit for hours, it's not really my thing

I've been used to Windows since i'm 8, and i don't want anything else. I already tried once Ubuntu, absolutely not my thing.
>>
>>47094648
>Can you do incremental backups in Windows?

Not him, but yes. This functionality is built in to Windows.
>>
>>47094673
You don't need to build the system from scratch, nor is it obscure in anyway. A lot of hardware is supported, certainly much more than Windows.

Yes, you would have to learn how to use the system, but this can be easily done in a day or less.
>>
>>47094681
>using ubuntu -> loonycks not my thing
that was probably your own falt
>>
>>47094564
Is this nigga serious or is this a parody of /g/?
>>
>>47094790
Yeah, he's serious, but he's hiding his particular brand of tinfoil bullshit in a thinly-veiled "troll" attempt so he can backpedal out of it later if need be.
>>
File: 1426176335307.jpg (184KB, 1280x1280px)
1426176335307.jpg
184KB, 1280x1280px
>not being glorious Windows + Cygwin master race for maximum usability and power
It's like you want to have a shitty inefficient shell or a system held together mainly by chewing gum and the good wishes of its users. This is literally the only setup for personal computing that makes sense.
>>
>>47094790
>Implying there isn't a high altitude drone or satellite trained on your position right now
>>
Windows for home usage, Linux for server purposes and OSX for a hipster status.
>>
>>47094851
>NSA is your friend
>>
I have a lot of programs i use constantly on Windows
I have laptop with 4 different distros on it but when i use any of them i just burn all my time tweaking rather than doing anything.
I just have no need to use Linux outside my job working on servers. we only work in the terminal. Theres just no need.
>>
>>47094250
>2 polished ones
Literally GNOME and KDE
>Very stable but not 100% issue-proof
Literally any other DE
>Do it yourself
Minimalistic WMs + Panels +X11

You have ALL the groups you'd ever want.
>>
>>47094721
Not a reliable source, but shouldn't be completely off..
Wiki says that about 1,53% use Linux, now whether this counts other distros like Arch, Debian etc. i don't know, but it does say that "There is little openly published information on the usage share of desktop and laptop computers. Gartner publishes estimates, but the way the estimates are calculated is not openly published. Also, sales may overstate usage. Most computers are sold with a pre-installed OS" - The wiki site (Usage share of operating systems)

Now lets convert a total of, say, 3% to be fair to Linux, this still puts it a 4,53% of global.. i don't know where you draw the line, but 4,53% seems like a tiny share in my eyes..

I will add this though, i only think the article covers private use and not commercial, like servers and such
>>
>>47094870

Correction: NSA is my bitch.
>>
3 things:
>It just werks out of the box
>Drivers
>Muh gaymes
mostly the last one.
But I also use OpenSuse on my laptop.
>>
No drivers.
>>
>>47094919
>works out of the box

>218 updates, have to reboot, wait 2 hours
>oh now i have to install this, this, this and that.
>>
My problem with linux is with Mesa, Xorg, shit-tier AMD drivers, GTK being an abortion, no thumbnails in the filepicker and general dislike of GNOME.
But I still use it.
>>
>>47094936
2002 is calling you
>>
>>47094943
>no thumbnails in the filepicker
filepicker ?
file manager like thunar, or the browser one ?
>>
the whole muh gaymes is becoming less and less a valid reason to switch to GNU/Linux. Companies are not as hesitent to make a GNU/Linux port of a game, you already have a good selection of open source games/games with the engine source code released, emulators to have an even bigger access to more games, and wine works pretty good with most games. so excuses are running out.
>>
>>47095012
>wine works pretty good with most games
>pretty good
and there you have it, anon.
>>
>>47094822
Why would you think about future backpedaling here?

And OP: I already use GNU©/Linux©, but I can understand that people want to use Windows for good reasons.
>>
>>47095012
>wine
>gaming

Virtualization with Xen or KVM and then passing your video card through is an infinitely better option.

I have no idea why this isn't more popular:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI
>>
File: plz-stop-posting.jpg (40KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
plz-stop-posting.jpg
40KB, 600x450px
>>47095096
>I already use GNU©/Linux©
>GNU©/Linux©
>>
>>47095098
Don't you need more than one graphics card to do this?
>>
>>47095098
One reason why this isn't popular would be the need for a second GPU.
>>
>>47095120
Yes, but the second graphics card can be the integrated one that comes with your mobo.

The idea is to run a virtualization host on linux and give it your integrated graphics, and then installing windows as a guest, and giving it full control of your beefier graphics card to reduce lag.
>>
>>47093712
In order of importance:
1. Software/hardware compatibility.
2. It doesn't randomly break with updates.
3. Long support cycles, not maintained by volunteers.
4. Ease of use/familiarity.
>>
>>47095143
If someone is already interested in gaming, then there is a pretty high chance they already have a nice graphics card to use, and they can couple that with integrated graphics.
>>
>>47093712

nobody cares
>>
>>47095152
The first two are reasons to use GNU/Linux.
>>
>>47095167
OP asked a good question anon.
>>
>>47094989
The Browser one. Some distros patch firefox to show Dolphin instead, but that's not the point. GNOME devs don't consider thumbnails in the file picker to be a "good feature"
>>
>>47093712
Ubiquitous in most business environments, file and application support, OS specific software. It's not rocket science anon.
>>
I keep an install of 7 kicking around, but sometimes I wonder why I even bother with it. Really, it's only good for low-level utils that have no Linux equivalent like Speedfan.
>>
File: 2015-03-19-143749_scrot.png (165KB, 1093x680px) Image search: [Google]
2015-03-19-143749_scrot.png
165KB, 1093x680px
>>47095208
What the fuck are you on about, son?
>>
>>47095270
See those green boxes?
Try to find a specific picture without scrolling through that whole folder.
>>
>>47095153
PCI passthrough sure looks intresting, however it still looks kind of complicated to setup probably and dealing with the second GPU and input switching makes it too much of a hassle im comparison to just using Windows.
>>
>>47093712

friendly reminder that if you can't even properly maintain a windows installation you should probably leave /g/ because you actually are retarded no matter what you say to the contrary

friendly reminder that 80% of GNU+Linux users on /g/ are mac-tier tryhard hipsters who have deluded themselves into thinking they are a superior special snowflake because of the patterns of 1s and 0s they use to do the exact same shit as winshills and mactards do on their systems

unfriendly sage
>>
>>47095270
He means something actually usuable which you can get if you use the kdialog.
>>
>>47095286
Most of my stuff is named, so that isn't too much of a problem for me. I see your point, though.
>>
>>47095322
Exactly my point. I'm using netrunner on my laptop which has patched firefox OOTB. Would be nice if I knew how to do this easily for more complicated distros like gentoo or Slack.
>>
>>47095184

What question? All I see is probably one of the most autistic Linux evangelist baits I've seen in a while on here.
>>
>>47094681
Ubuntu is shit. Shame on you.
>>
>>47095360
You'll probably have to compile the firefox-kde-opensuse and its dependency kmozillahelper. Honestly, I'm not sure whether or not you need KDE installed, but I have it just in case. Then you just put the following in your xinitrc and it should work.

KDE_FULL_SESSION=true
export KDE_FULL_SESSION
xprop -root -f KDE_FULL_SESSION 8t -set KDE_FULL_SESSION true

KDE_SESSION_VERSION=4
export KDE_SESSION_VERSION
xprop -root -f KDE_SESSION_VERSION 32c -set KDE_SESSION_VERSION 4
>>
>>47095388
Microsoft shill.
:^)
>>
>>47095388
Would you also consider the people completely denying any chance of security issues in Windows to be autistic?
>>
File: linux.png (128KB, 723x927px) Image search: [Google]
linux.png
128KB, 723x927px
>>
>>47095286
thunar and tumbler (using for thumbnails) could be an alternative for you.
>>
>>47095462
Source?
>>
>>47095487
linuxfonts.narod
.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
>>
>>47095483
Tried that. Doesn't work in FF.
>>47095401
Any link to the source code for compiling across distros with good documentation? I tried once and failed because I couldn't understand how to compile the shit.
>>
BitLocker is broken. dm-crypt/LUKS is not.
>>
>>47095294
What is this buttmadness?

>>47093712
I also find it strange that people still use OS that doesn't come with native command for (un)compressing files, uses forward slashes instead of back slashes for describing depth and is one bit away from becoming the Goatse of computer security.

I understand if you use Windows because someone is making you (like your boss, parents, professors), but to do this voluntarily means that you just don't use your computer for advanced work and fun.
>>
>>47093840

MAD NEET IS MAD!
>>
>>47095655
>(like your boss, parents, professors)
Literally everyone in your life for the most part
>>
>>47095685
>Parents
Grow the fuck up and get your own PC.
>Professors
Use a VM.
>Boss
Work for a better company.
>>
>>47095655

>you just don't use your computer for advanced work

ricing your desktop is not advanced work
>>
>>47095655
>professors forcing you to use windows
Maybe if you're getting a shitty degree.
>>
File: Network_effect[1].png (23KB, 200x446px) Image search: [Google]
Network_effect[1].png
23KB, 200x446px
>>47093712
Devs publish on windows because a lot of people use windows, a lot of people use windows because devs publish on windows. All it took was getting enough market share in the 80s to start the cycle.

It could be undone if devs would release for other systems, but apparently they think that's too costly.
>>
Everyone talks about the inner workings like the fs and crap, but no-one ever talks about the end user experience.
Drive letters, dafuq? If you need partitions, you mount.
File hierarchy. Ever try to find .minecraft without using run %appdata%? Nothing is where it should be. In newer versions, appdata is in roaming, so even Windows doesn't know what to do. How do I get to roaming? A symlink in a hidden folder.
File permissions make no sense. Cannot delete file, doesn't exist.
Shit poor privilege system, complete with all or nothing access
Config files shotgunned around.
The registry. Not only is it hard, it voids the warranty to change it.
(Little more technical)
It's ugly. Never before have I seen such an ugly ui, and I spent my time in uni over a serial connection to a 2 colour glass terminal.
Driver installation. No comment
Even with package managers installing shit is a complete mess.
Using Windows in day to day life is like pulling teeth. I would rather rip my nuts off with duct tape and no anaesthesia than spend another minute dealing with the monopoly's magnum opus.
(Nitty gritty)
DirectX a shit.
Win32 api a shit.
Visual studio a shit
The entire office software is about as enjoyable as child birth, and useful as shower curtains to refugees.
Shell a shit
Security by obscurity inspires suicide.
Viruses.
And the moment you've all been waiting for:
WINDOWS USERS ARE AWFUL
>>
>>47095791
All I have is one preset conky window with basic info plus temperatures. I wouldn't call that ricing.
I was talking about using GNU tools and scripting languages. I don't even work in tech, but I find bash and tools like wget very useful.
After a few years of Unix-like systems, using Windows really feels like claustrophobic experience.

>>47095809
Unfortunately it's true for almost any non-tech degree. And if your country has made a deal with Microsoft, it becomes a standard even in tech.
>>
>>47095920
>Everyone talks about the inner workings like the fs and crap, but no-one ever talks about the end user experience.
The end user experience in Windows is much better (except all the shitty malware/adware, but that's a problem that comes with a popular platform).
>File hierarchy. Ever try to find .minecraft without using run %appdata%? Nothing is where it should be. In newer versions, appdata is in roaming, so even Windows doesn't know what to do. How do I get to roaming? A symlink in a hidden folder.
Minecraft is a hidden directory under Linux (.minecraft), so not really a difference.
>File permissions make no sense. Cannot delete file, doesn't exist.
Case-sensetive filesystems can confuse endusers (two filenames spelled the same).
>Shit poor privilege system, complete with all or nothing access
No, you can set things up right. Also UNIX File permissions are much more complicated and you get way more "Permission denied" issues with Linux than with Windows.
>Config files shotgunned around.
Same problem with Linux (have fun searching in /etc)
>The registry. Not only is it hard, it voids the warranty to change it.
The registry is a mess, but voiding warranty? what?
>Driver installation. No comment
Ever installed GPU drivers under Linux? WiFi? It's way worse.
>The entire office software is about as enjoyable as child birth, and useful as shower curtains to refugees.
Alternative?
>>
File: epic_fail_troll_dean.jpg (560KB, 1726x1354px) Image search: [Google]
epic_fail_troll_dean.jpg
560KB, 1726x1354px
Using Windows is like being fat.

It's a personal choice, and nobody has the right to tell you otherwise or use it an excuse to be a dick to you.

But if you even think about trying to justify it, you are a terrible person and should be ashamed.
>>
>>47096026
What? Config files for GNU/Linux are in a grand total of three different places. For user-specific configuration, it's either in ~/.config/* or just ~/.*. For global configuration, it's in /etc/*. Both are easy to find. In windows, these files can just randomly anywhere.

Also, getting to ~/.minecraft is literally just one key shortcut away.
>>
>>47096049
this picture upsets me and i am nothing like the man in the drawing, except maybe the 4chan part
>>
File: 20140527_203445.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20140527_203445.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>47093712
We insist on using windows due to the fact that everything is compatible with windows. Even Sonic agrees.
>>
>>47096095
It's 100% authentic, too. Wrap your head around that.
>>
>>47096082
This isn't really easy for an end user. Normally you don't need to mess with config files because you have a GUI to configure things in Windows and CLI programs save their configs in places where you can find them (e.g. current directory or %AppData% for user-specific configuration).

Also, getting to %AppData%\.minecraft is almost the same process as getting to ~/.minecraft. Where's the big difference?
>>
>>47096134
It's a subset of meme kultur. It has to die.
>>
>>47096049
>Ben "One man holocaust" Garrison
He got the xbone wrong, and what's that Shrek?
Otherwise, bretty good.
>>
>>47096146
You have config files and point and click config tools for all platforms, including Windows. The main difference is that GNU/Linux configs are much easier to access and manage, since they're plaintext files in your home folder that can be accessed by toggling hidden files (usually Ctrl+H in an X file manager like PCManFM), are super easy to manually edit, can be easily backed up for safety and security, and make resetting program settings incredibly simple. Navigating to %APPDATA% is really fucking annoying... not to mention the numerous other random ass places Windows applications store configs. Documents folder, the executable's folder, the root of C:, etc.
>>
File: 190okkp1qk8ofjpg.jpg (369KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
190okkp1qk8ofjpg.jpg
369KB, 1280x720px
>>47094106
>>47093712
Reason 1 ) Thats it, i d like to turn to linux but it will take me too much time to ride my files on windows, put them on linux then configure the whole OS again, it s not just the time to configure it, it s just the time for learning this shit again, actually i m a programmer, you' LL notice it if you see all the .bat files that i wrote to do many things to make it more confortable to me, i don t want to throw all that shit in garbage.
Reason 2) Do i really need to show you my steam library or you don t even care beacause of your need to be some kind of shitty kid that needs to be different from normal people? Just dress in yellow or say people you are gay if you want to be differenti.
I ve worked hard and spent 1000€ and more to make my own gaming PC beacause i actually love gaming, and it s waaay easier to do it on windows, and it actually doesn t bother me like a linux OS will do.
Reason 3) implying that you want to buy a shitty prefab PC, is there a way to buy it without windows and pay 100€ less? Yes but it s too rare, here in Italy there are less than 100 marts that sell pcs without windows and the money that you ll spend by reaching them are the same that you ll spend by paying the windows one and if you are the kinda fag that doesn t want to build a pc you probably are the kinda fag that is top lazy to actually set a good riced linux OS.
>>
>>47093712
linux sucks, now fuckoff freetard
>>
>>47096252
>Wow, I really need a special identifier so that people can validate me for sharing my shitty and uninformed opinion!
>>
>>47096226
Navigating to %AppData% is just typing %AppData% in the address bar.
Unhiding directories is also possible (go to user dir -> AppData -> Roaming).
The placement of config files is a valid point, however, it's mostly the fault of the programmers who need to save their config files everywhere but the %AppData% folder (the root of C: is a rare one though).
>>
>>47096082
And you can find all files associated with a program with one-line command, if you really needed to.

>>47096026
>end user
Do we want end users to be complete retards?
In that case, everything should consist of touching the screen and picking from the list of choices.
>intuitive
>intuitively click on the add, end user
>>
>>47096292
Yes, I know how to reach it. I want to click a few buttons and be there.
>>
>>47096252
typical tripfaggot response. Stay mad manlet cunt.
>>
>>47096331
>click users. click profile name, click appdata
damn that was really hard
>>
>>47093712
M-muh gaymes
That's the only reason. Also installing exes is super easy since everything has a GUI. Not to mention support for pretty much everything.
>>
I dual boot Windows/Linux. The only reason I keep Windows on my machine is because it has a larger game library.
>>
Because people think "easy" means having extreme limitation and being practically forced into doing things the way Microsoft thinks you should.
Windows users are better off buying a tablet to be honest.
>>
> muh games doesnt count

lol the one topic Windows can thrash pretty much everything else on doesn't count.

aannnyway, if I had to give a reason, its compatibility. yeah windows has its tendency to be messy, glitchy and frustrating as shit, but there's a tradeoff. there are countless applications that can be found on the web for windows for just about any purpose you could want. and not JUST apps off of an official store either. macs are awesome, but only if everything you own is also fapintosh, and I dont feel like throwing out thousands of bucks out the window.

so why not git gud and go gentoo?

I dual boot with a linux os, but while its nice for programming and clean and pretty, so far there's not much it really can do that windows can't, outside of maybe pen testing shit, and windows even has a little bit of that, too.

ill admit though, I look forward to seeing the Linux distros evolve, and maybe one day I can use that as my main os.
>>
On windows I can play anything without having to fiddle with Wine or without rejecting it altogether. I feel that if I have purchased games I might as well have access to them.

Also there's a bug that hasn't been fixed in 2 years with AMD open source drivers but I feel like there's no need to bother people about it.

Otherwise? I'd just jump on it, really. Windows is convenience, that's all.

Besides OP, tell me, what does -everyone- need from different file systems? Why do you assume your average person would replace entertainment with better performance related to file systems? That would be like trading your sense of smell for free discounts at some store somewhere.
>>
Because I'm way too used to Windows now.

I used Windows and Linux side by side for most of my life, but recently went back to using just Windows.

It's just.. I grew used to it. I find opening the registry and fixing something about as easy as editing some conf file in /etc/
>>
>>47096318
Can you expect that an average end user knows how to use the Terminal, find the according config and then change it without messing it up ? Or troubleshooting why his wifi isn't working via the Terminal?

The first one isn't really hard, but I can think that many end users new to Linux will not know how to do it.
>>
>>47096331
>on Windows 8.1 and up
>click little thing that opens ribbon ui
>show hidden files
>C:\Users\big_nig2024\AppData\shitgame

>on linux under easy to use distro
>open menu
>click show hidden files
>go to home > big_nigforever > .shitgame

same motherfucking shit

don't you tell me double clicking a few more times is any more difficult than smacking your chops
>>
>>47093712
Because it werks.
>>
>>47096612
cd ~/.shitgame
leafpad shitgame.conf
>>
>>47096700
cd %appdata%\.shitgame
notepad shitgame.conf

Zero difference (except that notepad can't deal with UNIX line separators, but if this troubles you you can just use another editor which can).
>>
>>47093712
muh games
>>
File: 123156451234897.jpg (82KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
123156451234897.jpg
82KB, 680x680px
>>47096746
>\
why is this allowed ?
>>
>>47096700
The nigga I quoted complained about clicking

Now you come here with commands I just don't understand why really

Hell in all honesty I don't see how typing cd folder1/folder2/folder3 is faster than double click double click double click
>>
>>47096780
/ just works fine too.
>>
>>47096763
let me guide you to >>>/v/
>>
>>47096792
it's not that, it's cd f<tab>f<tab>f<tab>. And you have to move your mouse, that takes time.
>>
>>47096795
File browsing in wangblows with /.
What ?

or just only in the shell ?
>>
>if there specific applications that tie you to the OS, then I can understand
>“M-muh gaymes” doesn’t count as an excuse
Way to contradict yourself.
>>
>>47096826
But you can do exactly the same stuff under Windows. Seriously, did you guys ever really used Windows or is Linux circle jerking that much fun?
Also, we were talking about end users. Which end user uses the console to edit configs (especially with Windows, when most of the time there's no need to?)

>>47096845
Also works in Explorer.
>>
>>47096826
Yeah, if there's one folder starting with letter f in that folder and so on.

Now imagine you had folder1, 2, til 36. Need to cycle through that shit. Can't just go "f<tab>" or "fo<tab>" once or twice. Nope.

Moving the mouse isn't ever as taxing as it is to type shit.
>>
>>47096873
gayms aren't applications anymore.
They are called 'apps'.
As like the file manager, window manager, browser, programs, updates, patches, OSs, ...
>>
>>47096491
Well, there was a time when every user had to use the command line.
Granted, there were less users and more of them were professionals, but there were also regular guys with computers who wrote commands on a piece of paper and learned how to use them properly as they did their jobs.

I basically see it like this guy: >>47096395
You should be able to do complex stuff, even though it's easier to fuck up that way. It's always the easiest not to have any choices at all, like when watching TV.
>>
>>47096951
Of course it would be great if every user would be able to do complex stuff, but that's just not how the market works.
People want to entertain themselves, they want to get work done, they want to communicate in an easy way just as you expect it from any other product. Accessibility is an important point, but Linux is only really easy to use for the average user if everything works OOB, but this isn't often the case (e.g. proprietary drivers or finding a specific, user-friendly program) and then things get complicated.
The Linux Desktop isn't really on par with Windos or OS X. Too often you have to enter the console and do things that many users would find confusing or think you need to be a hacker to understand this. Learning all the stuff isn't really an option for many of them because of the lack of time, motivation or it's just too complicated for them to learn it.
Knowledge helps a lot, but it's 2015 and not 1990 anymore. Computer are mainstream nowadays, almost every business and all kinds of people use them. You can't really expect people tinkering that much with PCs, they want that everything just works. Most people want an easy to use computer and OS X or Windows is the best choice for them. Companies like Microsoft or Apple are trying to get market share, which requires them to make things simple, which however requires them to dumb down things.

Therefore blaming Microsoft for keeping all the legacy bloat or blaming Apple for dumbing down things is easy, but they have to do it because it's their market.
>>
>>47095655

the truth isn't buttmadness :^)

I would reply to the rest of your bait but it's so out of touch it's simply retarded to even try to show you reality.

>>47095952

>I was talking about using GNU tools and scripting languages.

this isn't advanced work either, it's basic shit you can get on Windows too if you really want it
>>
>>47097256
>which however requires them to dumb down things.
that's why we are using Linux/BSD.
But I'll agree in every point you've mentioned.

Too many times I have seen people using old IE, wmplayer and complaining about how "complicated" and slow (adware, fucking 4 firewalls/antivirus) this is.
Literally not my world.
>>
File: PDP10_Brochure_Cover.jpg (438KB, 2723x1493px) Image search: [Google]
PDP10_Brochure_Cover.jpg
438KB, 2723x1493px
>>47096951

The easiest way to detect underage on /g/ is to look for people reminiscing about the "good old days" when everything was command line based and "people knew more things about their computers" because it shows how much they literally have no idea what the fuck they're talking about.

There was also a time when computers were programmed using punch cards and front panel switches, and you'd be lucky to have a command line at all. I love using a CLI but I fucking hardly delude myself thinking that's an "advanced" job, and there's definitely a reason it's not in common use today.
>>
>>47097446
>I love using a CLI but I fucking hardly delude myself thinking that's an "advanced" job
Why do you do it then, fag? Simply because you love it or because you need something done the way you can't do it with GUI?
Sometimes you have to construct a command/combine commands. That's considered advanced in the eyes of the average user.

Remember that wget GUI with a button for every possible flag?
>>
>I mean, if there specific applications that tie you to the OS, then I can understand.

There is. A lot of them.

But even so:

>For day to day usage, Windows is inefficient and unreliable.

I thoroughly disagree. I find windows very efficient. It's what you are used to.

>NTFS is a gigantic pile of garbage compared to something like BTRFS or even EXT4 since it only journals the metadata and you can’t even do full snapshots with it.

Pft, it's not a big deal. NTFS works fine, 99.9999% of users wouldn't notice anything if windows changed default file system.
>>
>>47097828
>NTFS works fine, 99.9999% of users wouldn't notice anything if windows changed default file system
they wouldn't be bothered with 'DEFRAG THE FUCKING DISK'
>>
>>47093712
It runs Adobe Lightroom and photoshop and I just like the interface.

I do my seedy shit offline anyway and the details are kept on an etch-a-sketch.
>>
>>47097828
>Boot to freshly installed Windows partition
>Takes 5m to become usable

>Boot to freshly installed CentOS partition
>I can use it as soon as I log in

Windows is terribly inefficient and unoptimized. Face it, you know it's true.

>NTFS works fine
No, it doesn't. It caused a high number reallocated (uncorrectable) sectors on 2 of my disks when I used Windows, but now that I am on GNU/Linux, I have used EXT4 on the same disks for 1.5y with no uncorrectable sectors or SMART errors of any kind.
>>
>>47094591
nvidia drivers are pretty much the exact same in terms of performance
>>
>>47093712
Alpha waves.
>>
>>47097734

>Why do you do it then, fag? Simply because you love it or because you need something done the way you can't do it with GUI?

Pretty good for batch tasks as well as based wget, I never said it was entirely useless.

>Sometimes you have to construct a command/combine commands. That's considered advanced in the eyes of the average user.

So is going anywhere on the internet outside of Facebook, doesn't mean it actually is.

>Remember that wget GUI with a button for every possible flag?

I didn't know anyone would be retarded enough to unironically use, let alone make a wget GUI.
>>
>Not using the true master race OS, Apple OSX

You're all shit.
:^)
>>
>>47098657
You are right, it's not really that hard at all.
But what do you think will be considered hard for the next generation of users, if basic command line tools with detailed manuals are considered wizardry now?
>ctrl+alt+del?
>you mean le secrit h4x0r app?
>>
there are no linux filesystems with online diskchecks, online defragmentation, quota managment or disk cleanups.

Hate on NTFS all you like but ever since NT 6.3 it's become a very nice FS to use. I even use it on my external storage systems on Linux since every OS supports it.
>>
>>47099118
>online diskchecks, online defragmentation
These always should be performed on unmounted filesystems anyways.

>QM
BTRFS

>Disk cleanup
Microshit shit.
>>
>>47093712
Because I built my PC to play games, and Linux doesn't support even 1\3 of my steam library. And I'm sure as hell not gonna dual boot to do other stuff, I can game and do other stuff on the same OS.

Maybe steam os will bring Linux into the golden age.
Pffffffffffffft.
>>
>>47099169
>Muh gaymes
Grow up, manchild.
>>
>>47099275
Do you realize where you are?
>>
>>47099314
Not /v/.
>>
>>47094591
NVidia Linux drivers, usually, are equivalent or better performing than their Windows counterparts.
>>
>>47095462
>wants new hardware support
>doesn't want new, maybe buggy, software

jesus.
>>
I've already built up my steam library with many games and i doubt 80% are playable on linux.

I haven't even played 80% of them.

fucking indtalling linxu godfucking piece of shit wiki tlelin g me about my uefi motherboard and shit and then u have to partiion the shit in anothetr way fucking gay as shit fucking linux and thenf ro sum fucking reason the mirrorlidt if fucking empty and i didnt evene touch the dna thing fuck linux snf the i get it to work kinda and give up then grub dies and then windfowdd dies then i have reintall swindows again fucking shit fest fucking linux
>>
>>47096422
Because NTFS is absolutely bad. It's out for fucking 20-something years and still fragments WITH PLENTY OF FREE SPACE.

That's just stupid.
>>
You idiots that are saying games are for manchilds are litterally watching fucking anime and are wasting hours configuring your Linux distro bullshit which will never end. Linux will never be widely used unless it gets a new community which won't include you fucking weaboo fat gaylords complaining about everything.
>>
>>47099275
>being this judgmental of a pastime
Yes, cause escaping reality in my own personal way makes me a man child. Others use alcohol and drugs, others use literature and music, but no, really, continue to judge a human being for trying to escape the real world once I'm a while.

You must be the life of parties faggot.
>>
>>47094822
Is backpedaling meant to refer to pedaling a bike backwards, meaning someone is trying hurriedly but unsuccessfully to get out of a situation in a foolish way? I always just assumed it meant walking backwards out of something.
>>
>>47099374
yeah no
>>
>>47093712
Muh games. That's literally it.
>>
>>47099568

Why do people insist on using Linux? I mean, if there specific applications that tie you to the OS, then I can understand. For day to day usage, Linux is inefficient and unreliable. Ext3 is a gigantic pile of garbage compared to something like FAT32 or even NTFS since it only journals the metadata and you can’t even do full snapshots with it. “M-muh freedumbs” doesn’t count as an excuse.

In short, why aren't you using Windows?
>>
>>47099455
thats not even the last of my goddamn dsturgges with this shit fucking os distro billshit, fucking try to use a fucking virtual machine and then awsoemwm fucked up the reoslution for some reason and virtual machine breaks idfk why it just closes or somehting then try to installa rch again then for some reasons my ehternet cable is not wokring or some shit cant ping google or even that ip withs the 8s then i google not only thid nbut like 80 other errors then these fucking dewwbs speaking a whole other fucking language like type "/hc /mnt .sd,s sdj ak and den nano dsodsdsddosddosddosddosddsossos" fucking bullsgut. then i finally just install debian supries that worked at all then you need bu in uninstall icewasel and damn thing delets the desktop enviroment for some ucking reason why the fucking would anyone uses linux godmna fucking piece of fucking cow shit fucking os fibnally, isntead of using a desktop shit i juststrated using the fucking command line to cocde in c++ and tried to use library but that shit borke the whole fucking system for some reason and fuck y
>>
>>47093712
shit series
i use windows for the games and applications
no good photo editing software on linus (gimp fucking sucks loser)
no good video editing software
most likely a lot more of software i take for granted on here won't be there
>>
This just happened today:

>graphics driver update available
>install
>half my videos stop working
>poke around, figure its the driver update to blame
>device manager -> rollback driver
>done in like 10 seconds
>videos load again

On Linux I'd probably have to do an entire recompile of my kernel and other headaches. It's just not as refined for simple desktop use as Windows.
>>
>>47095866
Considering probably 90% of people who use Linux for ideological reasons also pirate, I'd say it's a fairly poor investment.
>>
I use Linux on my home server and a low spec netbook that I sometimes use outside, Windows on the desktop and other laptops.
I personally prefer using it, despite all the flaws.
This is largely due to familiarity, as having used it all my life makes it feel "right" and I don't have to get used to a new way of getting things done.
That aside, there are no valid replacements for Sony Vegas which I use frequently on Windows, alongside a few other programs.

With those factors combined, I don't feel like it's worth the effort to dual-boot an operating system that I'm less comfortable with while also having a boot into a separate OS just to use the software that my computer is intended to work with.
>>
>>47093712
>since it only journals the metadata
It's a cost-benefit tradeoff. Journalling metadata doesn't cost much, and it avoids filesystem structure corruption that can cost you a whole filesystem -- making it worthwhile in almost all situations. Journalling data otoh cuts write performance in half because you write everything to the journal, then the file, then clear it from the journal. This is quite costly, and not doing it only risks damaging the one file that's being written to when the power goes out. Not usually worth it. Generally if you care that much about file integrity, you'd do better to buy a small UPS so it can finish the current write and shut down cleanly when you lose power.

>“M-muh gaymes” doesn’t count as an excuse.
Why not? If you have some software you want/need to run, you'll need to use an OS that can run it.

I'm mostly OS agnostic these days. They all have strong points and weak points. Windows on my laptop because I like its GUI, especially the Explorer file manager and open/save dialogs; everything else feels clumsy or like a flawed imitation of it. Linux on my torrent box and in a VM for doing mostly command line stuff since that's way better than anything on Windows. OS X on a slightly old Mac for the occasional thing that needs it.
>>
>>47100046
>Implying Thunar isn't the best file manager ever

I agree with you on the journalling thing though
>>
>>47099726
>recompile your kernel
>for a module
>really

you'd just do (your package manager) your-driver-oldversion, and restart X.
>>
>>47099548
Yeah, yes

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_2014eoy_windows&num=1
>>
File: Inside_Lisa's_brain.jpg (39KB, 753x557px) Image search: [Google]
Inside_Lisa's_brain.jpg
39KB, 753x557px
>>47093712

Because you cant use Time Machine in all those 500GB - 1TB hard disks, are NTFS
Thread posts: 193
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.