[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Careers of /g/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

File: gypsy_dangr_MERRIKA.jpg (188KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
gypsy_dangr_MERRIKA.jpg
188KB, 960x960px
What is your career /g/? I am wondering because I feel as if I am in a bad place right now in terms of life. I am 24 years old and I work at a university I.T department doing desktop and laptop repair, basic print server management, Basic Active Directory functions and what not. Its a good entry level job I think? I only make 30k a year though.

I graduated with a degree in computer science but my parents died shortly after my graduation so I took the first job to call me back which was this one. I have been here almost 2 years now. What would you do in my position?

I had to start supporting myself as soon as my parents died. I have no car, about 40k in student loan debt and a depressed outlook on life.

What would cheer me up is if I knew that there is a light at the end of the tunnel? What is your career and how did you get there? Would you have any advice for me?
>>
File: computer-repair.jpg (22KB, 322x261px) Image search: [Google]
computer-repair.jpg
22KB, 322x261px
>>47053779
Just keep at it, even if you'd rather be doing more advanced things, it's still employment at the end of the day.

I've got IT qualifications myself and I can't even get a job. Been trying for nearly a year and I just don't understand it any more. Considering looking at starting my own business just to get myself to do something.
>>
>>47053779
>be a failure
>go to some shit 1 year school
>get a job
>get a call from old teacher offering job
>get new, better job
>new job sucks, get call from old friend
>new job
>not bad, stick around for now

I'm 27.
>>
>>47053779
you can always kill yourself
>>
>>47053779
you have a stable job that will make a fine first entry on your resume.

what are your personal career aspirations? what do you want to do? your in a great job to burn some time while you figure this out. plenty of time to keep your skills fresh, and being in a college environment you can keep tabs on events that will inevitably happen there.
>>
>>47053779
30k is way underpaid for someone with a degree, but that's because you took a job fire someone without formation. This job is for high school dropouts.

Take a real job.
>>
>>47053779
buy this book
http://www.amazon.com/Cracking-Coding-Interview-Programming-Questions/dp/098478280X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426570452&sr=8-1&keywords=cracking+the+coding+interview

and then get a real job. Go to glassdoor and send applications. Getting paid 30k with a CS degree is goddamn sad.
>>
Get certified to teach and teach high school CS classes.

I make 40k in a poverty area as a science/engineering teacher
>>
Dude, I'm 25 and work at McDonald's with no degree. Check your privileged.
>>
File: 1424900066014.jpg (127KB, 800x799px) Image search: [Google]
1424900066014.jpg
127KB, 800x799px
>26
>never had a job
>>
>24
>art history
> :(
>>
>>47056090
How do you live?
>>
>>47056113
i still live with my mom
>>
I'm 20 and I am a student going into Computer Networking. I'm doing an internship at a small company that provides a whole whack of IT services. Nothing super exciting.
>>
File: grinch_baby.jpg (52KB, 500x671px) Image search: [Google]
grinch_baby.jpg
52KB, 500x671px
>>47056124
that's just sad
>>
I'm a 25 year old Java developer for the insurance industry. It's not too bad. I still live with my parents though because student loan payments are income killers.
>>
>>47053779
I make 5K/year. Yup, that's right: less than $500/mo.
What do I do? User tech support (about 100 PCs), mostly scripted web hosts setup (TLDs for web deverlopers) and MySQL maintenance.
Guess where I live.
>>
>>47056101
Go work at an auction house. One of the very few places that actually look for people with art history backgrounds. Your welcome. That will be 100 shekels
>>
>>47053779
im sure it could be better, but a job with a salary you can live on is enough to appreciate.
>>
>>47056152
i know :/
>>
23 and no job. I could have one if I wasn't an antisocial loser, but now I have no references so there's no way I'll be employed.
>>
>>47053779
If your job doesn't take all your time then start to work on side projects. Projects that you would be doing with your CS degree and you wish you could get payed for. Then you get experience in more things and have more to show for yourself when you seek a better job.
>>
>>47053779
Start looking for a job in your free time. You won't starve on $30k but you can get more scintillating work and a higher salary elsewhere.

I'm 24, EE degree, doing embedded work for a govt contractor for $30/hr plus health benefits.
>>
if you make 30k a year, you're making more money than 98% of the world. stop being a bitch
>>
>>47053779
Also pay down that debt as fast as you can. It sucks living cheap right now but paying it off in a couple years instead of a couple decades will give you much more flexibility and improve your general outlook on life.
>>
>>47056124
>24
>have a job
>still live at home

It's fucking great, I can throw over 2.5k a month into investing.
>>
>>47056327
that does sound great
>>
linux sysadmin
24k per year
3rd world country
>>
>>47056029
I'm 25 and the bullshit helpdesk company I worked at had to shut its doors because they lost their one big contract. So I'm not even working right now
>>
>>47056399
> 24k per year
> 3rd world country
You have nothing to complain about.
How old are you?
>>
>>47056478
>>
24 years old currently. lived the last 6 years as a neet with no job, no school, and no direction in my life. I only just recently decided to get my ass in gear and now I'm preparing for college. the plan is to graduate in 6 or however many years with at least a BA in computer science, and once I land a job I'm set for life. don't be like me and waste so many years of your life. I could have spent those last 6 years in school and I would be graduating about now.
>>
>>47056586
This is me. I'm surprised how many of us share similar neet experience.
>>
>>47056629
yeah. I'm going to be 30 when I get my first job. that sounds fucking awful. I would blame my parents and school teachers for not leading me in the right direction but I really have no one but myself to blame.
>>
File: 1386084552853.jpg (38KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1386084552853.jpg
38KB, 500x500px
>>
Chemical engineer for a smallish oil company. Its nice because I'm not an engineer in a sea of engineers. Since there aren't hundreds of us people actually listen to me when I say something.
>>
>>47056649
which country are you living in?

You probably can get a job while studying if you have some skills.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-02-16-22h22m15s233.png (794KB, 1280x536px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-02-16-22h22m15s233.png
794KB, 1280x536px
>>47056586

You're not the same person you were at 19/20. You do a lot of growing in those 6 years. At the very least you have a plan and are making change.

That's infinitely more than can be said about the failures of /r9k/.
>>
>>47056694
>That's infinitely more than can be said about the failures of /r9k/.

fuck you
>>
PHP dev at a small (~15 people) company in my hometown.
Planning on moving ~90mi to a bigger city in the summer. Job adverts say I could easily get paid 50% or maybe even 100% for the same job.
>>
>>47056883

Well it's true. They don't want to improve or live life.

They just want to shitpost on /r9k/ everyday blaming all their problems on chad/women/normies/looks/wealth/the world or whatever.

Don't fall in to that trap. it's pathetic.
>>
>>47056928
Take into account that when you move to a bigger city your cost of living will also go up. The 50-100% increase in pay doesn't automatically translate into 50-100% more money in your bank account at the end of month. This is especially true when going to silicon valley. Someone might have more money available after all expenses if they were to take half the money and work in a small town somewhere.

However bigger towns obviously offer more choice and it's easier to move into another job when you don't have to move to another city.
>>
>>47056958
>They don't want to improve or live life.
I guess this is somewhat true for myself. I just don't know where to start and what I'd want to do for a career.
>>
File: 1391322084511.png (48KB, 334x369px) Image search: [Google]
1391322084511.png
48KB, 334x369px
I'm thinking of going into Linux sysadmin career as a junior, but rethinking of going into web dev since there are almost no junior positions left.
>>
Got an AP degree as a Network specialized IT-Technician. At the moment I got the job as a junior sysadmin, along with the intern support in the company.
I got no certs, but is spending the days with slow work load on reading up, so I will be able to take the exams at a later time.

I don't think it's necessary to get certs. You could easily get the same knowledge just by working with the different systems. The certs will only truly come into play if you look for a new job, or has an ignorant boss.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.