[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the FUCK can't old people use computers properly /g/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

File: 1426504186504.gif (3MB, 524x276px) Image search: [Google]
1426504186504.gif
3MB, 524x276px
Why the FUCK can't old people use computers properly /g/ FUCK it's not that god damn hard.
>>
>>47042415
Why can't you sew your own clothes?
>>
>>47042415
But they can when properly teached.

My 78 old grandpa is effortlessly using his thinkpad with ubuntu.
>>
>>47042484
>teached

Effortless
>>
Why the FUCK can't young people drive manual transmission cars /g/ FUCK it's not that god damn hard.
>>
>>47042526
It isn't. Is this some sort of first world phenomenon?
>>
>>47042415
Because you'll see that as you grow older you just want things to work, not to fuck around for hours until you figure out how to make them work.

>>47042526
Only americucks.
>>
>>47042526
Only in 'murrika.
>>
>>47042415
>be cashier at retail
>people come through the line
>only around one in five old people doesn't have a problem with the credit card reader
>Some just stare at it like they're expecting it to work without input
>other tap the screen in random places, when there are buttons clearly outlined on the touch interface

It's fucking hilarious, and pathetic, at the same time.
>>
>>47042415
It's simple, some just don't want to learn to use one and prefer it the old way.
>>
>>47042415

Two things. #1 its harder to learn when you get older. Especially if you let yourself get out of practice.

#2 when you start running low on time you realize how much you waste figuring out the new shit.
>>
before the 90's computers were literally science fiction. All you kids born in the 90's will never understand how fucking fast computer swooped in. It's really really hard to get someone older to come to terms with.
>>
File: 1352872589035.png (75KB, 309x259px) Image search: [Google]
1352872589035.png
75KB, 309x259px
>>47045037
>mfw most all computer technology will shift and change over the next few decades
>so people who are currently 'computer experts' will be left in the dust by innovation and change in technology and interfacing
>kids will be weaving holograms and teleporting like its nothing
>old and busted still trying to google search on their android devices

The future doesn't look so bright and fun any more, /g/
>>
>>47042415
Why the FUCK can't you use your grandson's quantic phasing device? It's not that god damn hard
>>
>>47045154
At the rate they're dumbing these systems down to include more people in their potential customers, you'll still be a pro user when the retards will be accidentally posting their sensory-recorded VR vids of masturbation on Facebook and find themselves too stupid to remove them.
>>
>>47042415
Why can't some people take criticism?
>>
File: 1425853964192.jpg (204KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1425853964192.jpg
204KB, 900x1200px
>>47045037
>before the 90s
There was a fucking explosion of Commodore/ZX/Amiga/Tandy/whatever users in the 80s. Sometimes I feel like there were more people developing and publishing more software than there is right now because people today are such app babies.

>>47045154
I finally felt self-conscious about the whole touch screen tablet phablet smartphone bullshit trend passing me by and leaving me in the dust so last year I bought a refurb Galaxy S3, my first ever exposure to something like that, out of simple fear that I would be a dinosaur buried in a keyboard, mouse and monitor era.

Within a week I had that bitch rooted and flashed and knew the settings and interface inside and out.

And I can still say decisively that it's great for reading web pages on the train or on the toilet but in every other use case it's fucking awful compared to a machine with a keyboard, mouse and monitor holy shit how do people live like this 24/7.
>>
>>47045270
>There was a fucking explosion of Commodore/ZX/Amiga/Tandy/whatever users in the 80s

those people were hobbyists. it was still an extremely niche thing before the 90's
>>
>>47045037
>before the 90's computers were literally science fiction.
We've had computers for a long as fuck time.
>>
I run a coffee shop and use square to process credit card transactions and I lose it whenever an old person is trying to press an on screen button as if it were a real button. Its a dang picture of a button, not a real one.
>>
>>47045270
I've had to use the on-screen keyboard before when my built-in keyboard was broken. Shit sucked.
>>
Everyone born from 1940 to about 1960 was exposed to large amounts of lead during their childhood. The average American blood lead level in children during that time, according to more recent research, is enough to cause an irreversible 5-10 point drop in the average IQ of the population. Plus, as lead-exposed people grow older, their odds of developing mental disorders like dementia increase as well.

There is scientific evidence that suggests that the boomer generation -- along with a few adjacent generations -- is literally retarded. It's not just our imaginations.
>>
>>47045270
>I feel like there were more people developing and publishing more software than there is right now
That's because it was all fresh so everyone raced to be the first and best to do a thing on the new hardware. Now everything from an old computer is compatible with the new ones.

Most stuff today is remade/reheated/continued shit from back in the day (late 80's - 2005), especially video games which is why you get this impression I think. You can't really revolutionize a media player, an office suite or a notetaking software a whole lot anymore, short of shoehorning cloud-based shit in it.
>>
>>47042471
I don't own a sewing machine.

Also it's irrelevant in 2015.
>>
>>47045297
Quick google says there were 5 million ZX Spectrums, 6 million Apple IIs, ~14 million TRS-80s and as many as 30 million Commodore 64s, and that was before the entire market of all of them combined was swallowed whole by the IBM 5150.

You can't call those insignificant numbers, for instance the Commodore had many quarters where it outsold gaming consoles like the NES and Atari 2600.
>>
>>47045324
Need sauce.

I believe you, but I want to read more.
>>
>>47045324
This is really comforting for some reason
>>
>>47045154
Nigga pls, not trying to sound like an old fart but kids and these days have no idea how computers work. Especially with apple hiding the file system, people just expect things to work. PCs have been demoted to web browsing machines and are only used because they were already in their homes. If apple released a large screen just werks ipad with a keyboard and mouse, casual users wouldn't purchase computers anymore.

Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, but it's the harsh reality of where we're heading.
>>
>>47045419

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2533151/

Nobody seems to want to talk about this, outside of the people who wrote these journal articles.
>>
>>47042415
Why can't half of /g/ use computers properly?
>>
>>47042415

>work in a place with an Android-powered touchscreen register
>ask customers to sign right above the line using their finger
>old people start looking around the whole desk and just start yanking the power cord until I tell them to just use their finger
>>
>>47042415
young people can't into computer either
>>
>>47045445
Well no shit, because boomers are clinging to their last shreds of credibility in a "World they built."

fucking boomers.
>>
>>47045481
>"World they built."
why the fuck would anyone want to take credit for this place?
>>
>>47045381
I hate the thought that computers are becoming a mature technology because that implies all our science fictiony hopes and dreams are dead and a computer in the year 2120 will look and work exactly the same as a computer from 2020.

I have felt the whole industry grinding to a halt though, and 2005 is a great comparison because that's when the Core Duo came out which was like the last ever "WOAH" new CPU.

I mean this is probably nostalgia goggles- because I do remember the nightmarish amount of money it cost to keep up - but there was something appealing about the idea that your top of the line machine would be a hopelessly obsolete piece of garbage 18 months from now, and the top of the line machine that was out 18 months from now could do things you couldn't even imagine yet.

Now every year Intel trots out and says "This new revision is 5% faster, 4% more energy efficient and has 3% better IPC than last year's CPU." I figure that's why they don't even bother to really give new names to the fucking things anymore, they're always the i3, the i5 and the i7 now.

Soon we're going to have a new generation who has only ever known that, who has no memory of the era of "HOLY FUCK THIS NEW REVISION IS 300% FASTER THAN LAST YEAR IT WILL RAPE YOU RIGHT IN YOUR FACE"
>>
>>47045473
>tfw we're the last generation that knows how to operate a computer
>tfw kids born in this millennium don't even know how to install an operating system
>tfw all they do is browse the web and post on social networks on their ipads
>tfw some of them will become web developers
>internet will be even worse than it already is

I don't want this kind of future, /g/ ;_;
>>
File: they-hate-you-really.jpg (102KB, 1280x855px) Image search: [Google]
they-hate-you-really.jpg
102KB, 1280x855px
>>47042415
Why the FUCK can't /g/ just hurry up and have sex already?
I want grandkids.
>>
>>47045514

Haven't you been paying attention? They're all retarded and/or insane. That's the whole point here.
>>
>>47045518
>family gets new $2000 pc in 2000
>runs everything blazing fast at 1280x1024
>few years later, 2003
>everything new runs like ass

i miss that HOLY SHIT THIS IS FAST feeling when upgrading
>>
>>47045514
Are you seirous nigger? Look around you. Beyond the world you live in is an outer shell, old and crusted with the decay and decadence of the boomer generation.

>2015, still using gasoline powered vehicles
>gas stations on literally every corner
>goyim goyim goyim
>BUY BUY BUY
>muh customer service
>muh easy to use technology
>muh ignorance and bigotry
>muh religion

Any change currently be facilitated any where in the economy, culture, technology or fuck it, practically any where, is being pushed by the younger generation.

Boomers who want change are one in a hundred. They are clinging, desperately, to the hard work they put up in the 70s and 80s, and now they're getting to old to work and are being forced into retirement but before they go, they are trying their absolute best to fuck everything on their way out.

I envy the kids born in this decade and the next, because as they grow and mature, they'll be the first generation who is mostly free from the boomers corrupting influence.
>>
>>47042526
my car is manual and I'm 21, got any other questions?
>>
>>47042484
>properly teached
>>
>>47045586
limitations of 2 dimensional processes are suffering.

>tfw no significant progress in comuting power in the last decade

I mean sure, compare the earliest gen i7 to the latest gen i7, it's about double the power, maybe 2.2, or 2.3 .... But compare that i7 to the 233 pentium we had in 99?

Uhg.

Thinking about this shit always makes me feel like there's going to be a massive, staggering, paradigm shifting decline in technology interest in the next 10 years, akin to the kind of shit that all but shut down the space program in the 70s/80s.
>>
>>47045596
>muh religion
Dickhead you know there have been like 50 expressly atheistic regimes in history now and they tended to murder and starve more people than the theocratic ones do.
>>
>>47042526
>>47045618
i'm 24 and learned somewhat recently to
no, it's not hard, i just didn't have a need to until more recently (it helps when company cars are all manual)

my license is still automatic-only though, should probably sort that out...
>>
>>47045398
That's worldwide. Even then, if one in ten people had a personal computer it's still a niche thing. Even if it was, it's far removed from how you interact with a modern computing device.

My mother was an SQL programmer. She was told by her colleagues, after having gotten a 386 based machine, that buying a personal computer is setting yourself up for a personal problem.
>>
>>47042415
My 56yo uncle is a business man, owns several rental properties, but refuses to use computers or internet because he 'doesn't know how to use them'. He doesn't even have an email address.
>>
>>47045652
>license is still automatic-only though
you wot?
>>
>>47045270
I had the same experience with a S3 (although mine was new, bought just after the S4 was released and prices dropped). It's great for reading ebooks, but shit for general purpose computing. If I'm sending a lot of texts I'll plug in a keyboard to the USB OTG port.
>>
>>47045681
yes, i heard a while ago that murrica licenses don't record which transmission you were tought

i have NZ and AU licenses, both countries will give you a license only suitable for driving automatic transmission cars if you did the test in an auto, you need to pass the test in a manual to remove this limitation
>>
>>47045716
american states* (driver licensing is handled by state government, not federal) know you will teach yourself how to use either configuration properly and don't need to babysit you every step of the way.
>>
>>47045762
states, right
i'm from NZ, so i'm not used to the concept (NZ has no states, not really big enough)
>>
>>47045630
>233 Pentium in '99
Were your family really that poor? My condolences anon.
>>
>>47045847
I still had a 486 Packard Bell machine and no internet. Although it was upgraded to windows 95 in 2000
>>
File: 0005-1399310712882.png (792KB, 634x670px) Image search: [Google]
0005-1399310712882.png
792KB, 634x670px
>>47045952
>tfw i didn't have internet until mid 2005-2006
>>
>>47045952
I had a p3 and my dad had some sort of ISDN line on steroids back then. Shit was amazing. I remember "upgrading" to ME and then turfing it out in favour of 2000 very quickly.
>>
Why don't you fix your own car?
Why didn't you build your own house?
Why can't you set up your house electrical system yourself?
What do you mean you can't make a chair?
Do you even know how to plant maize?
>>
Old people can't learn well and usually aren't interested in computers. They often don't need it, either. Those who are interested often learn themselves how to use a computer.
>>
It's because they're not interested. I bought my first smartphone back in December, and it is the first Android I've ever been able to use for more than 5 minutes. I learned how to do everything in a few minutes because I wanted to. If you have the desire to learn how to use something, you can learn. Old people just don't care.
>>
>>47046100
The answer to all of these questions is simply
>Not interested

you better fucking damn well believe I could do all that shit if it was necessary.
>>
>>47042415
any old fag would ask you, op, why can't you neither handle some pussy nor wield your dick
>>
>>47046256
HAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

FUCKING MORON!

hwo the fuck can you even live with yourself without being able to perform fucking BASIC tasks!

kill yourself you loser piece of shit
>>
>>47045395
>2015
>Wearing clothes
>>
>>47046100
Did a valve job on my '99 legacy
Too expensive
"
Too busy
Yes, and it's corn you mongoloid
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.