[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

this happened 2 weeks ago. >cs major who's about to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 13

File: laughing cunts 1403053039135.jpg (23KB, 358x361px) Image search: [Google]
laughing cunts 1403053039135.jpg
23KB, 358x361px
this happened 2 weeks ago.

>cs major who's about to graduate in April goes for a job interview
>they ask him a bunch of 'get to know each other' questions
>they ask him a bunch of whiteboard algo questions
>all is going well
>they ask him what his preferred programming language is for quick things
>he says either JS or Python
>"cool", says the interviewer
>they hand him over a laptop with Terminal.app maximized
>the interviewer says: "you have node, python 2 and 3 installed and in current directory there's a simple CSV file."
>"Print out only cells with emails in them"

the interviewee then proceeds to type "nano readcsv.js" and starts programming. he struggles, has hard time producing runnable code, he tells the interviewer that he programs using VS/Eclipse mostly. he then types "python" and starts programming using interactive mode instead and after a bunch of struggle, produces the desired result.

needless to say, my roommate never got the job offer.
>>
>programmers who only know windows
>>
>>47029686
why didn't he just google how to work with csv files
>>
Just use sed
>>
That's why I'm not continuing with my cs degree next semester
>>
>>47029686
It's a retarded problem.

Parsing URIs with regexes is retarded and who knows the parsing library by heart.
>>
>>47030651
Yeah that's why
>>
>>47029686
I have worked in IT a long time. I went back to school not long ago to finish my BSCS. I'm now a senior.

I talk to the smarter kids in my senior CS class - none of them know what software version control is. None of them know what git is. The school does not teach what these things are so they do not know it.

Doing coursework is important, but you need to do more than that. If you can't find a part-time job or internship, at least do something like find a project on Github, fixing an issue, sending a pull request and getting your patch included, at least once before you graduate.

People should go into CS because they like to do computer stuff. If computers turn you off so much that you're a CS senior and don't know what software version control is - you wasted your time. I knew what software version control was when I was in high school - and those were the days where you'd find SCCS more often than RCS.
>>
>>47030824
>tfw my university forces students to use git after the second week of the first semester
>>
>>47030824
Sounds like you picked the wrong institution to get your BS from.
>>
>>47029686
>the interviewee then proceeds to type "nano readcsv.js"

Not using emacs ?

No wonder he wasn't hired.
>>
I once rejected a candidate because he was typing so slow, a chicken could peck faster. Seriously, if you're gonna make money programming, at least learn how to fucking use a keyboard.
>>
>>47029686
I hope you gave him internet access. It's absoluely retarded to expect people to program without access to documentation.
>>
>Got a degree in programming
>Still kept working at UPS
>Am a driver now
>Make more money now than I could have before and have fantastic benefits
>All that wasted money on school
>>
>>47030567
I like you.
>>
>>47032192
he said he had internet access. he claims full-screen shell initially tripped him up but that's fucking bullshit. when I heard him tell me what happened, I told him he should have installed Linux and learned vim, awk, bash etc. but the guy is stuck in GUI world and only uses VS.

too bad.. it was apparently his dream job too.
>>
>>47029686
>expecting anyone to know how to parse email addresses correctly from the top of his head
http://ex-parrot.com/~pdw/Mail-RFC822-Address.html
He was probably rejected for not having 10 years of Swift experience anyway. Enjoy your H1B Indians.
>>
>outsource all your coding projects to chinese and indians
>sit on your ass all day and get payed mad bux

ever wonder why the tech industry is shit and filled bloated spaghetti code?
>>
>>47030528
Eclipse runs on *nix too.
>>
>>47029686
Damn I love interviewing people like that. I sit next to them while they are struggling and drop my guts just to let them know what i think
>>
>>47032271
dude, you can whip up a quick and dirty regex to extract simple com/net/org/ca/uk emails quickly. if you need to look that up and can't just make one, you're in wrong business.
>>
>>47032384
Enjoy your incompleteness.
>>
>>47032397
you're completely missing the point of that interview question.
>>
>>47032426
You're the type of person who would encourage shitting out hacks over the entire codebase instead of actually fixing bugs properly.
>>
>>47032440
no, I just know what the interviewer wants from me.
>>
>>47032327
> >outsource all your coding projects to chinese and indians
> >sit on your ass all day and get payed mad bux

That's how companies die. I know of 3-4 companies who did that, outsourced development to India and just kept management in US, and they went away.

Most famous example is Quark... the once leader in desktop publishing. They got a new CEO, some indian dude, Aulakh Kumar, who laid off all American developers and offshored development to India. Few years later, Adobe and InDesign ate their lunch and Quark is now on death throes.

No one does this shit anymore. Offshoring is pretty much dead when it comes to big companies.
>>
File: friday night.jpg (9KB, 172x200px) Image search: [Google]
friday night.jpg
9KB, 172x200px
They haven't even taught me this stuff yet.
I feel so fucked.
>>
>>47032786
You'll never learn any of this in a college class. JS my be taught in 'web dev' classes, but they do not use Node.js, they use PHP for backend shit and JS for DHTML. Colleges are at least 5 years behind the working world in general and 10 years behind when it comes to web dev.
>>
>>47032830
I learned a lot of the hipster js frameworks in my programming languages class.
>>
File: 1418952084550.jpg (128KB, 1240x874px) Image search: [Google]
1418952084550.jpg
128KB, 1240x874px
>>47032786

You are fucked

everyone is fucked.
>>
>>47032870
CC?
>>
>>47032902
No.
>>
>>47032830
Clients are also 10 years behind, it fits nicely
>>
>>47032905
Helium exit bag apparatus and a tank of helium.

>>47032915
Well shit, where do you go?

>>47032923
Your clients maybe. I'm glad I'm backend guy, I don't have to deal with that shit.
>>
>>47032963
UC Berkeley.
>>
>>47029686
grep "@" /path/tocsv
Select-String -Path C:\path\to.csv -Pattern @

Your friend is a retard
>>
>>47030824
Sysadmin here

Why are you getting a CS degree if you are already in the field? You should be getting an IS degree, CS literally does nothing.

Unless you are one of those idiots who calls things like programming, IT.
>>
>>47032205
Fuck off, union commie
>>
>>47032991
This was going to be my first guess. They have to teach people to stay competitive there. Do you think you'll move if you can't find a job?

>>47033009
>powershell
>your friend is a retard
Still sane is probably a more fit descriptor.
>>
I would say Ruby, and would have used interactive Ruby from the start. Not because I can't use Vim easily, but because the task is simple enough to not need it.
>>
This is why programming is nothing more than a hobby of mine.
>>
>>47033191
>Ruby

faggot
>>
>>47033009
what if your csv has shit like "random@garbage72h7h/(!/"

your thoughtless grep scoops them out as well and you wouldn't get the job as much as OP's friend
>>
>>47033248

Say what you want, but it's good for on the fly string parsing.
>>
>>47033299
You misunderstand. Web devs don't give a shit if there are user input bugs. 'The user does what they are supposed to do correctly, or they don't get to use the application correctly' is their train of thought.

I have come to the conclusion they don't give a shit because if they did they would spend years dealing with all possible user input error. User input is literal shit to be rubbed on the alter of your code. You can only deal with so much stupidity before you stop giving a shit and make the user reap what the sow.
>>
File: 1423446331329.jpg (21KB, 239x247px) Image search: [Google]
1423446331329.jpg
21KB, 239x247px
>>47033234

What's the matter, anon?

Are you scared of taking your programming to the next level?

Don't you want to be one of Obama's wizards?
>>
>>47032991
go bears
>>
>>47033009
>retard suggest using Windows-only features under UNIX.
thanks for kek's! I'd pay to see you try that shit in bash, like OP had to, and see your face when you get "command not found"
>>
>>47032651
This.

Feels good when you watch them burn.
>>
>>47033114
>>47033299
>>47033581
I was showing the *nix and windows version.

I'm sure it could be better, but just saying that it isn't event hat hard.

Also if you import the csv in powershell the field with is an attribute for the object so you could do something like:

Select-Object $CSV -property * | Where-Object {$_.emailattribute -ne $Null}

Write-Object $CSV.emailattribute | Format-Table

Also while powershell is not as powerful as perl or bash scripts, it is pretty good and I would have an easier time faking my way through a programming interview than the stupid CS failure.
>>
>>47033581
> grep
> not Unix tool
> command not found
>>>/b/
>>
>>47030567
>not perl
>>
>>47032786
>READ THE FUCKING DOCUMENTATION
>>
>>47033299

The question wasn't to make a program to print out cells containing emails for ANY CSV file. It was just this one. So you could first print anything with an @ sign and then go through and tune it to exclude everything that isn't an email address.

I think this is a super stupid question, though, because it assumes the interviewee will know the format of a CSV file and how to parse email addresses of the top of their head. Almost anyone would use a library or at least have reference material in the real world.
>>
>>47034932

Clarification: you don't need a general program. You need something that works for one specific CSV file. So you can write a quick-and-dirty program that doesn't work in general.
>>
>>47034143
>being this stupid and retarded
>still posts on /g/

wow... kid, take your Shitdroid phone and shove it up your ass. that's all it's good for. but before you do that, go re-read the post I was replying to. see if you can spot why you're a moron. and then just show that shitdroid up your retarded ass.
>>
>>47033558

johnathon I know that's you
>>
>>47035022

grep "@" /path/tocsv somehow relies on Windows commands. Brilliant.
>>
>>47035022
fuck off kid, grep ain't no windows command
>>
File: 1425173493500.png (72KB, 224x215px) Image search: [Google]
1425173493500.png
72KB, 224x215px
>>47030824

But didn't you know bro? CS is just a branch of mathematics.
>>
>>47029686

>Javascript, wut
Javascript with node to read a file? That's... pretty odd.

He should have just gone straight to python and imported whatever library it uses for csvs, and used standard delimiter stuff that's common to most language libraries.

They probably decided against him for that mistake if everything else was alrite.

https://docs.python.org/2/library/csv.html
>>
I miss this meme.
>>
>>47034932
Ask to see the CSV file and look at the structure of it.

This is the game they play. Your job is to get as many answers as they will give you, although this is a pretty easy problem: Loop through each line, split on comma, look at each result and print it if it contains @ or even use a basic regex like .+@.+\..+.

Better yet, ask for internet access and look up whatever god awful regex they use for email addresses.
>>
I'm so fucked when i have my interview
>>
>>47037864
It doesn't matter anon unless you are currently starving. Just keep looking at places. Eventually you will get an interview you can pass. It is a numbers game.
>>
>>47037864
Eh, Ive only taken like 2 programming courses and have good but out of shape programming skills. I swept through a java interview and landed an internship even though I got most of the specific java questions wrong. Just show an ability to learn and be charismatic, you'll be fine.
>>
File: thatfeelwhen.png (42KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
thatfeelwhen.png
42KB, 645x773px
>tfw reading threads like these

I knew I went into the wrong field, I just don't know what else to do with my life.
>>
>>47037982
Its hard at first anon but It gets better, keep it up. No one learned how to code overnight.
>>
I don't know why you guys are trying to use regex to figure out if its an email, if there's a csv with emails in it they are probably in a single column, not randomly strewn all over the file.
>>
>>47035086
>>47037301
you guys really are retarded. you would have failed this question as well. since you two are stupid, look at the answer that win moron gave. second command is Select-String. go try it in bash. fucking idiots. hope you two are not in CS.
>>
>>47037864
I've never been interviewed for a job before and this story freaks the fuck out of me. I can barely handle the pressure of answering those questions let alone solving complex problems as someone breathes down your neck.
>>
What sort of questions do they generally ask on interviews?

I'm afraid of looking stupid in front of people
>>
>>47029686
anyone know what types of questions they ask you for Network Tech/Admin/Engineer/Arch ?
>>
File: 1425332019352.jpg (8KB, 251x251px) Image search: [Google]
1425332019352.jpg
8KB, 251x251px
>>47037815
>Ask to see the CSV file and look at the structure of it.
it says in OP's post that they told him the file is there. all he had to do was cat/head/whatever it and see.

questions like this are all about testing you to see how you work and whether you communicate or make assumptions. if you get the right answer at the end, that's a huge bonus as well. but just getting the right answer without the right process is a fail for sure.
>>
File: 1425413759577.jpg (4KB, 184x275px) Image search: [Google]
1425413759577.jpg
4KB, 184x275px
>>47038054
>What sort of questions do they generally ask on interviews?
Bud, interviews at google/apple/facebook last whole day. You generally meet with 2 or 3 diff teams for a couple hours each or so. You should be worried what questions they don't ask. If you have any weaknesses, one of the teams will find them for sure.

> I'm afraid of looking stupid in front of people
Well, then study some moar.
>>
>>47038044
If you have an interview, the people there are on your side. There will be questions you don't know, and they understand this.

In my experience, I was asked maybe 20 questions. about 10 I had enough experience to find the answer no problem, another 5 I couldn't find the answers to, but kept pushing forward asking questions when I needed, and produced a reasonably intelligent answer. The last 5 I just got stumped on but I didn't give up until they took it away and then I made sure they explained the answers to me.

I got the job, they told me at hiring that i was super inexperienced, but I knew that and now I have a job.

I'm not saying its like this for all companies, but this is a sweet software engineering job and its doing tons for someone who didn't have an internship throughout college.

Applying as much as possible is the most important part. You're not gonna get a job you don't apply for.
>>
>>47038044
>Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Your personal oral sex machine/ top <whatever position is above the one you're applying for>
>>
>>47038247
was meant for
>>47038054
>>
>>47029686
why does that pic make my blood boil?
>>
>>47033009
shouldn't it be something like
grep -i -o ".*\@.*\.[a-z]\{2,3\}"

?
>>
>>47038270
>why does that pic make my blood boil?
autism?
>>
>>47038073

I had an interview for a Linux admit position and they asked things like

List 10 ways to chmod if chmod is not executable by root...

How do you configure a kernel parameter at runtime

When would you need to compile something

What is your preferred flavor of linux

how many ways can you add users to a system.

Shit like that. I didnt get a call back, but I got every question right except the kernel parameter thing.

Kind of dumb questions when they can be Googled in 2 seconds.
>>
>>47038435
>List 10 ways to chmod if chmod is not executable by root...
i don't even understand the question.
>>
>>47038468
Basically how to exploit other tools to make something +x
>>
File: fedora tip.gif (89KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
fedora tip.gif
89KB, 480x270px
>>47030824
>>
>>47034647
kek
>>
>>47038487
oh.
is there anything else than using the syscalls/tools that use the syscalls ?
>>
>>47037334
learned it the hard way anon.
>>
>>47038468
Basically the situation where chmod is -x and you can't +x it cause chmod is -x
>>
>>47029686
>He can't code an incomplete solution that mostly works in a short time.
I wouldn't want that shitty job either.
>>
>>47038043
Hey fuckface, he gave 2 separate commands that do the same thing, showing that you don't even need *nix to grep files faggot.
>>
>>47038387
Could be, the command I run before I grep anything is typically: man grep

fuck memorizing shit man pages exist for a reason.
>>
>>47038387
No. There are now non alphanumeric tlds and there are many tlds with >3 letters.
>>
>>47038921
>fuck memorizing shit man pages exist for a reason.
spoken like a true dumbass. if it takes you five minutes to do something as simple as construct a grep, you're nothing but a useless pleb.
>>
How are strings that include commas reproduced in a CSV?
>>
>>47038954
>implying it takes me longer than 15 seconds to read through the grep syntax

Spoken like a try hard. Part of being a sysadmin is being lazy.

Anything I expect to do twice becomes a script. Shit I'd have to relearn nagios from scratch since I haven't touched it since I set it up.

The important thing is knowing how and why things work not memorizing pleb syntax bullshit.
>>
>>47038957
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4180
>>
>>47038957
this,is,a,csv,with,comma,delimiters
this,is,the,second,item,in,file
>>
>>47039010
I see, that's simple.
>>
fizzbuzz
#!/usr/bin/env ruby
emails = []
horrible_regexp = /i dunno butts lol/i
delimiter = ','

ARGF.readlines.each do |line|
emails.concat line.split(delimiter).select { |l| horrible_regex =~ l }
end
emails.each { |e| puts e }
>>
>>47038387
Why do you have to escape the braces?
>>
>>47039032
>not perl
>>
>>47038435
>List 10 ways to chmod if chmod is not executable by root...
no idea. I know you can use chgrp to change users as well as groups.

How do you configure a kernel parameter at runtime
No idea. Edit GRUB maybe?

When would you need to compile something
When you can't install from a repo.

What is your preferred flavor of linux
Arch

how many ways can you add users to a system.
adduser
edit the user file

This is why Linux is just a hobby for me. Fuck learning all these commands off by heart.
>>
>>47039002
>has a working human brain
>brain is capable of storing immense number of facts
>doesn't wanna use it or store anything because he doesn't know how to use it
dude, you'll never get a fucking job with that kind of attitude. I'd never hire someone like you who has to look at a fucking man page to use basic grep!
>>
>>47039433
Jokes on you, I'm a sysadmin.

A huge part of my job is trying to find ways out of work.
>>
>>47039466
>A huge part of my job is trying to find ways out of work.
How do I avoid hiring people like you? Please do tell me!
>>
>>47039481
You'll never know because no one knows what i don't do.

I've scripted nearly every job function I have, so I can sit around and look busy.
>>
>Job interview
>keep all the schematics I could possibly need on one thumb drive
>programs+code I need on another
>They give me a couple of problems
>Deploy the code right over their face
>Whip out a 3D gui demo for shits

Needless to say I got a job offer everytime, but it might be because I was good looking
>>
>>47039481
You actually want a sysadmin like this. It's sysadmins that are constantly busy that are the ones to avoid, since they're the ones always fixing things.
If everything is always working then a sysadmin is just sitting on his ass.
>>
>>47032192
the python repl has help(), that's more than fair enough for an interview
>>
>>47038270
Because you're a basement dwelling autistic neckbeard.
>>
>>47029686
$ python
>>> import re, csv, itertools
>>> with open("300k.csv") as f: r = csv.reader(f); emails = filter(lambda x: re.match(".+@.+\..+", x), itertools.chain(*[x for x in r]))
>>> print emails
['[email protected]', '[email protected]', '[email protected]']
>>
>>47030860
MIT??
>>
File: IMG_20150316_103844.jpg (2MB, 3200x2368px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150316_103844.jpg
2MB, 3200x2368px
>>4703082
this is what I am doing
>>
>>47039875
bro you don't into pencil you are bold
>>
>>47032156
maybe he doesn't use qwerty but an actual keyboard layout like dvorak at home, retard.
>>
>>47039875
Looks like kid stuff. Which university/country are you from? I can't believe they teaches this baby stuff to adult
>>
>>47039960
Its not even taught in college I am learning myself . India
>>
>>47039945
interviews also double as autism tests btw
>>
>>47039911
wtf did u say
>>
>>47039968
>India
Well that explains a lot. Keep learning shit stuff, you shitskin fuckwit.
>>
>>47039984
pencil
>>
>>47039875
looks fun
>>
>>47039968
i have a hard time believing insertion sort isn't taught in a cs program, even an indian one
>>
>>47040013
The algorithm professor is asshole over here. He has made ppt slides and use next gen projector to show them. He then talks about how hard algorithm and theoretical cs is. Says I have never seen a good project work here and students even give me blank paper . Tells about what any Indian has done in research work . Tells about how bad college is. Keep on complaining stuff. He forget about why he is in class room. Skip slides . time over. does this everyday.
>>
>>47040087
just make sure to use bubble sort on your exams, that's the secret trick to getting an a
>>
>>47038247
I always answer "CEO of <company I'm applying for>, always got a good laugh and the next question
>>
>>47040135
The stupidest answers are sometimes the best.
>>
>>47038075
This. Almost every interviewer wants you to talk to them beforehand to clarify all of the ambiguity that they've either intentionally concocted or has resulted from them just making up the question.
>>
File: alrightythen.png (244KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
alrightythen.png
244KB, 500x380px
>>47032205
You make 75k+ at UPS???
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Software_Engineer/Salary
>>
File: kek_goose.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
kek_goose.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>47039945
>>
how does one get well at commnad line without locking up in a room and only coming out once you recompile the kernel without any help
>>
>>47040728
recompiling the kernel is ez stuff, so if you're not retarded, that locking up thing doesn't sound very bad.
>>
>>47040728
If you have a practical use for a Linux system, you'll eventually gravitate towards using the command line as long as you're not an idiot that actively avoids it.
>>
You get well at command line by using it to do shit, even on wimdows I can pass a day without using powershell
>>
*cant pass a day
>>
>>47032341
And Visual Studio?
>>
I'm honestly not that familiar with the csv library in Python and I worry that this would come up. I could just read each line of the csv file and split by commas, but there's usually some special escape shit that goes on in CSVs if you have commas in the cells, so I would need to roll my own fix for those solutions, and I don't even know if they use standard backslash escapes or what, so I'd just be kinda fucked in general.

So thanks for this, OP.
>>
>>47032219
I like you more
Thread posts: 139
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.