[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If 'they' said that they're going to build a nuclear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 8

File: Nuclear_Power_Plant_Cattenom.jpg (692KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Nuclear_Power_Plant_Cattenom.jpg
692KB, 2048x1536px
If 'they' said that they're going to build a nuclear power plant, within a mile radius of your home, or where ever you live... How would you feel about that?
>>
>>47025092
I feel like moving asap and selling if I own the property.
>>
>>47025092
Worried. I would always drink bottled water and I'd prepare a Bug-Out-Bag, to run away from the region in case of contamination.
>>
>>47025092
nice, can I get a job please?
>>
>>47025092
Nuclear power is a damn sight safer than Coal/Oil or Gas...Only way it can really go wrong is from an earthquake or tsunami. Or retarded slavs handling it..
>>
Depends what kind of reactor.

If it's a PWR or BWR I'm getting the hell out of there as when they go wrong, they really go wrong.
>>
Fuck yeah bring it on
Can I live right next to it?

Can I work there?

job pls
>>
>>47025092
atomized
>>
Why would I feel any different than if it wasn't moving near my home? Nuclear power is safe and clean.
>>
File: LFTR_TMRgraphic.png (123KB, 1384x1263px) Image search: [Google]
LFTR_TMRgraphic.png
123KB, 1384x1263px
LFTRs when?
>>
It would lower the value of my property, so I'd feel bad.
>>
>4 of my friends are going to be having a job in one of those things

Jerusalem fucking christ...

They wont die will they? Said they are doing it for the pay
>>
>>47025092
I would feel really bad because there's an added risk and there's nothing in it for me.
>>
Sure, higher chance to get a job
>>
>>47025092
>within a mile radius
Let's be realistic here.
>>
>>47025122
unfortunately retarded handling is kinda 1000% guaranteed, you alawys get dicks running it an apathetic backstabbing middle management, disafected workers. Thatis the real reason nuclear is dangerous, because of how it can blow up. Coal fured plant, burns down, meh build it again. Nuclear, gone for 100 years + due to radiation
>>
Don't care.
>>
Being scared of radiation is like being scared of gasoline.
>>
>>47025158
Both are poisonous.
>>
>>47025158
Petrol won't give me thyroid cancer :^)
>>
>>47025158
lolwut
>>
>>47025158
You can smell gasoline. Not radiations.
>>
>>47025092

Indifferent. Because where I am from, the government requires 3 closed water cycles. Which is one too many.
>>
>>47025154
Might as well live scared of your own shadow in a cave somewhere. Oh no the incompetent middle management in charge of making sure the roads work and the gas lines don't leak are going to fuck it up.
While that is hyperbole, nuclear reactors have still killed less people than coal.

Pripyat is a wonderful natural wonderland. The radiation doesn't bother wildlife that much. However, the forests are free of glass bottles, plastic bags and all that other crap that comes with people.
>>
>>47025092

You probably get more radiation from eating a single banana, than living your whole life next to a nuclear power plant.

It's sad how misinformed people are about nuclear power.
>>
>>47025092
Move to another region asap. I live in Chile and with 9.0° Richter earthquakes around the corner I wouldn't be safe near both nuclear plants and the ocean.
>>
>>47025141
>buying the thorium bullshit

Ask literally ANY engineer not employed by bill gate's "thinktank", and the answer to whether MOLTEN HIGH TEMPERATURE NUCLEAR FUEL AND EXTREMELY CORROSIVE SALTS will be nowhere near "safe".

>>47025178
>The radiation doesn't bother wildlife that much.
You mean except the cancer part?
Did you watch that "documentary" about life "flourishing" at red forest?
>>
>>47025141
fuck man, element names are so fucking cool

thorium

THORIUM

IRIDIUM

LITHIUM

so fucking cool
>>
>>47025189
What's keeping you from educating yourself then?
>>
>>47025178

Shut the fuck up
>>
>>47025166
But it can burn you alive. Gasoline IS dangerous.
But being scared of it is stupid.

>>47025170
You can detect radiation, fairly easily. While it's invisible without aid, so is UV radiation from the sun. So are carcinogens kicking around in what you eat and drink.

Respecting the danger is not the same as being scared. I'd rather have nuclear plants explode all over the place all the time than burn coal in colossal quantities. Coal releases more radiation than nuclear plants do, even taking into account nuclear accidents.
Coal is full of radioactive elements and when it gets burned all that shit goes into the atmosphere. Coal is awful, awful stuff.
>>
>>47025195

I am?
>>
be glad i only rent my flat and move out ASAP
>>
Nice. I'll be able to live in an area with zero issues with energy, and hopefully every lefty and hippie will move out. Such a wonderful town!
>>
Just curious. If we found a way to get rid of everyday radiation affecting us.

Would we live longer?
>>
>>47025192
Wildlife doesn't suffer from cancer since they die from other things more often anyway. And they quickly adapt to high levels of radiation. Hey you never know, the adaptations their genetic structure goes under to cope with the high levels of ionising radiation might be the exact kinds of adaptations we need to cope with the high levels of radiation in space- so the wildlife in pripyat may be part of how we become a space faring race.
>>
>>47025166
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11029272
>>
there is literally no reason to use fuel-burning power stations any more. renewable energy can easily meet peoples needs.

yeah yeah, i'm a hippy eco warrior, i know.
>>
File: literally.gif (2MB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
literally.gif
2MB, 360x240px
>>47025206
Correct.

>>47025218
Statistically yes.
Much less cancer.

>>47025202
>Gasoline is dangerous
>U-235 isn't
>you should be afraid of things that can potentially kill you

> I'd rather have nuclear plants explode all over the place all the time than burn coal in colossal quantities.

ok you've reached the highest tipping point of your life.
>>
>>47025217
Not to mention extremely low unemployment.
The entire population would be sane, well educated, and not susceptible to emotional appeals.

>>47025218
No. there are actually a few studies that show that low levels of background radiation actually increases longevity. By a small factor.
There's radiation all around you no matter where you live, it's part of life on this planet.
>>
I support nuclear power, but I think it should be as far as technically possible from inhabited areas.

>>47025217
If you put it this way...
Bring it On!
>>
>>47025241

>renewable energy can easily meet people's needs

not even close m8
>>
>>47025218
No. The low levels of natural radiation are actually beneficial and will decrease the risk of cancer.
>>
>>47025220
>evolve to a radiation-shielding DNA organism in a few decades

>>>/reddit/
>>
>>47025243
My dream.....

>>47025248
One of the biggest french nuclear facilities is in the middle of the black forest, surrounded by prize-winning wine camps. Zero issues!
>>
I wouldn't mind.
>>
Nuclear fusion when
>>
>>47025242
>you should be afraid of things that can potentially kill you
That's what I'm talking about. Gasoline can potentially kill you. Car accidents can potentially kill you- you can get potentially killed walking down the stairs.
Ergo it's not sensible to be scared of them. Being scared warps your perspective of both how dangerous it is, and what the proper reaction should be.
Three mile island was caused by the operators getting scared and not believing the instruments. The actual safety mechanisms in three mile island were working, but the operators messed with them because they were scared something was wrong (something was definitely wrong) but their reaction was wrong because of the emotions.

I'm not scared every time I walk down the stairs man.

You see, I'm not scared of radiation. Coal however is a much worse source of energy, ecologically speaking.
Radiation is only a real threat to a localised area. It doesn't affect the entire planet.
A runaway climate change scenario will kill all the humans on earth, but nuclear plants exploding all the time will not.
>>
If it were a thorium based reactor, I'd have no problem.

I'd have slightly more problems with a uranium based one.
>>
worried for my property value which would be tanking

no idea what the actual science on health with that shit is.
>>
File: 1423618636874.jpg (112KB, 1060x404px) Image search: [Google]
1423618636874.jpg
112KB, 1060x404px
>>47025275
When it gets real funding.
Probably never.
>>
When Three Mile Island went critical, the nuclear advocates lost the right to say nuclear power is safe.

When Chernobyl went critical, the nuclear advocates lost the right to say accidents are rare.

When Fukushima went critical, the nuclear advocates lost the right to fucking speak.

There are now huge areas of the West Coast with radiation literally raining down daily. Radioactive snow has fallen across the ocean and still these sick fucks keep lying to us.
>>
>>47025092
Fucking relieved.
I live within 1 mile of a coal power station at the moment, that's orders of magnitude worse for my health than a modern nuclear plant is.

Plus maybe i can get a job doing security around it
>>
>>47025305
>There are now huge areas of the West Coast with radiation literally raining down daily. Radioactive snow has fallen across the ocean and still these sick fucks keep lying to us.
[citation needed]
>>
>>47025305
FUCKING THIS!

only thing worse than fucking nuke fags is fucking plane fags, what the fuck? how the fuck can you fucker say that flying is fucking safe? do you even watch the fucking news??

THE FUCKING PLANES ARE CRASHING ALL THE FUCKING TIME AND YOU CUNTS THINK ITS FUCKING SAFE????
ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE???

fucking nukefags planefags and carfags should all be fucking shot I tell you
>>
File: photo.jpg.png (56KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg.png
56KB, 512x512px
>>47025306
>tfw coal fired plants release more radiation than nuclear reactors

enjoy your cancer
>>
File: meanwhile in nz.png (168KB, 887x607px) Image search: [Google]
meanwhile in nz.png
168KB, 887x607px
>be in New Zealand
>Nuclear Free
>no chance of this happening any time soon
>mfw
>>
>>47025318
How about you check the dust dispersion maps you fucking faggot?
>>
>>47025322
Plane crashes rarely turn millions of square miles radioactive.
>>
Doesn't matter if I rent
But if I own then it will hurt my house price because it will spread (irrational) fear in buyers.

Same with wind farms.
>>
>>47025341
who fucking asked you hippy cunt? go back to hugging trees you traitorous piece of shit

i hope you get burned alive by isis
>>
No problem.
Source: Living next to one.
>>
>>47025341
This.
All accidents except nuclear have a finite, well defined duration.

The effects of a nuclear accident are pretty much forever.
The accident literally never ends.
>>
>call energy company
>ask how this effects energy costs for me
>If it lowers build datacentre next to it
>living the dream
>>
There's actually one going up within about 10-15 miles of me, but it won't be online until next decade at the soonest.
>>
>>47025360
>literally

I want /v/ to leave
>>
>>47025360
But what are the costs of usual operation?

The costs of usual operation of coal plants is worse than the costs of nuclear accidents. difficult to make the argument that a nuclear accident will make the entire planet uninhabitable by humans.
>>
>>47025322
I don't think you understand how rare of an occurrence these are in perspective. There are 30,000 flights DAILY that go through Europe alone.
Flying is incredibly safe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d88VZdRn3i0
>>
File: lockheedfusion5.png[1].png (155KB, 621x455px) Image search: [Google]
lockheedfusion5.png[1].png
155KB, 621x455px
>>47025275
When LockMart delivers. Probably.

It would be hilarious if it beat muh LFTR thoriumfags to market.
>>
>>47025326
Have fun when you get invaded and the US go LOL NO NUKES and don't help.

>>47025323
I've been in a 747 at FL40+ for about 40hrs broseph, i ain't worried about that pussy coal shit.
>>
>>47025330
Ok I searched google for "radioactive snow fukushima" "radioactive dust fukushima" etc and cannot find a single source of that information
>>
ITT Petrol shills trying to keep their losing monopoly
>>
>>47025373
>not shitposting le literally maymay in literally every single post
Get the fuck off my /g/
>>
>>47025383
>Fusion is only 20 years away guys!
>>
>>47025390
The person is probably talking about the already debunked pictures that showed a giant wave of radiation coming toward the west coast.

Also, I'm laughing that retards here actually think nuclear reactors blow up on their own. Ya'll should stick to computers.
>>
>>47025092
there was one about 5miles form me, and there usually is at least one or two within 5miles at any given time, and probably around 20+ nuclear warheads too, often several hundred.

used to be a lot more.

US boats used to dump primary coolant here and now we can't eat shellfish.
>>
>>47025330
Oh you mean those theoretical ones with the scary red colours on them?

The ones that never actually happened.
>>
I literally live within a mile of a nuclear power plant
>>
>>47025322
The fuck are you on about? Do you even know how statistics work? Have you seen then numbers? Are you American?
>>
>>47025419
I think he's trying to be facetious.
>>
>>47025379
Even assuming that nuclear is cheaper than coal (you'll find many reputable studies showing it most certainly isn't),
even a single accident every 50 years would make it unprofitable because of the cleanup costs and damage in humans and environment.

Nobody's saying it'll make "the entire planet unihabitable". It'll sure make your fish and crops rich in heavy metals and radioactive waste though.

The reason companies take the risk, is because if an accident that can't be concealed happens, they can simply declare bankruptcy or stay up with government funds, like in Japan.
You seem to underestimate the enormous cost of such operations, and imagine that in the end the only thing the do is dilute the waste and throw it in the ocean.
>>
>>47025431
Oh ok, hard to tell with this bunch...
>>
>>47025416
>The ones that never actually happened.
sleep tight.
>>
File: asdf.jpg (89KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
89KB, 700x700px
>>47025459
>>
>>47025444
I was talking more about the environmental costs of usual operation. Usual operation of nuclear is pretty clean. It would be very clean but there's nuclear waste kicking about. Dump it in natural parks.
Solves two problems at once.

No but seriously, there are places to put it. But they're sitting around empty because there's a fuckton of red tape to get it from A to B.
I think it's worth the risk.
And perhaps to instead of building light water reactors that are only really suitable for small reactors, redesign the damn thing from the ground up for large scale production.
Then actually build the thing. Imagine trying to build a reactor that's a new design over one that's 'tried and tested'.

>You want to build experimental nuclear reactors next to me?

Political nightmare. Funding nightmare.
Generally I don't care that much though.
What annoys me more is the opposition to wind and solar.
I mean you can understand people not being happy next to nuclear power, but then people turn around and say "NOPE" to wind farms because of how they look annoys the hell out of me. Coal plants look much worse but they don't give a shit because it's not near them.
>>
>>47025474
this maymay has gone too far

also, sleep tight, pizza
>>
>>47025474
Sleep tight, Pizza
>>
>>47025217
I got this image of an 80s town in my head for some reason. And all those hot 80s women.

Can I move into your town, anon?
>>
>>47025474
Sleep tight, Pizza.
>>
A current gen plant with my countries safety standards? Count me in.
What, do you live in Russia or a sandbank next to the ocean running along a fault tine?
>>
>>47025092
Since its new it'll be modern and cant melt down.

I'd be fine with it.
>>
If 'they' said that they're going to build a coal power plant, within a mile radius of your home, or where ever you live... How would you feel about that?
>>
>>47025550
>cant melt down
>Fukoshima couldn't melt down
>Chernobyl couldn't meltdown

Also the main concern isn't a goddamn meltdown.

It's small leaks, bad handling of waste and radioactive particles in air and groundwater.
You'll never even know it happened, because nobody profits from reporting accidents, neither the company nor the government.
>>
>>47025092
I would be fine yes, if they were going to build a plant today the standards are WAY higher and so is the tech.
Most plants in commission in the US are decades old.

I would move because my property value would plummet to shit so I would sell it as soon as possible and move.
>>
>>47025550
>can't melt down
>ever
>>
>>47025092

I wouldnt give a shit.
>>
>>47025591
>modern
>60s Jap reactor
>Slav shit RBMK
>>
>>47025092
I'd buy as many local houses as possible while they are dirt cheap.
Then rent them to the reactor workers.
>>
>>47025092

Honestly, I wouldn't be that fussed. As has been said, the safety on these plants has only improved over the past few decades. Events like Three Mile Island, Chernobyl and Fukushima happened through a mixture of bad design and poor management. I know, at least in the UK, that the safety is literally the first thing talked about.
At least, until fusion comes up to the fore with providing power, this is the better option. Renewables won't completely meet the demand for power, there is always going to be a short fall.
>>
>>47025591
You know, every fuckwit can just buy a Geiger counter.

You can stand outside the fence of your local Nuclear powerplant all day, and you'll find that its actually significantly lower then being inside a city. Or upto 10x lower then being at an airport.

You can go on day long tourist visit in the city center of Fukoshima, and you'll still take in less radiation then an hour long airplane flight.
>>
>>47025628
Do you realize the same arguments can be used arbitrarily?
Chernobyl contractors probably bragged about how modern the reactors were.
Any critical reactor can go supercritical.
That's a fact and deal with it.

Also you diverge from the main concern, which is leaks.
I'm not even mentioning waste removal, transport and storage, not only the fuel rods, but also the thousands of tons of contaminated metals and cement..
>>
>>47025305
>When Chernobyl went critical, the nuclear advocates lost the right to say accidents are rare.
Something happening once is the fucking definition of rare.
Fukushima was the fault of some utterly idiotic nip fucks who thought it was a good idea to build a plant on a sandy beach next to the ocean on a fault line. The people who decided that was safe deserve death.
The fucks at tepco better swim down there themselves and pull that core out of the ocean or commit fucking seppuku by helicopter.
>>
>>47025663
>geiger counter
>adequate

You're dangerously ignorant.
>>
>>47025383
Our professor told us how his own professor told him he would have nuclear fusion when he grew up and now he's almost retiring.
I won't believe we'll get fusion until the first actual plant starts working.
>>
>>47025708
Nothing will start working if you don't spend money to build it.

Fusion budget is virtually zero.
>>
Hey /g/, in a couple of months I'm going to fly from Vancouver to London, England, how fucked am I? Never been on a plane before and I am worried I'm going to significantly expose my body to radiation, I'm going to get fucking cancer aren't I? If people are so worried about nuclear reactors, planes must terrify them, I glanced at the numbers and I'm pretty much guaranteed to get cancer from this flight but my gf really wants to go so yeah.
>>
>>47025633
With what money?
>>
>>47025751

Hey, Anon, As someone who's done that route before, the chances of you getting cancer are so small that it's not worth worrying about. People here tend to like to get worked up over everything. Literally, all you need to do is post something defamatory about anything and off they go. Relax, enjoy the trip and don't worry about it.
>>
>>47025704
Do elaborate.
>>
Bad and mad, because you can't even sell your property for a decent price anymore after such announcement.
>>
>>47025721
>Fusion budget is virtually zero.

>ITER
>10 billion euro budget
>>
>>47025704
Sometimes i forget to wear my tin foil hat when i go out, how do i know aliens din't abduct me and probe me? Does it still matter if i wear my tin foil hat at this point?
>>
>>47025797
That's pretty much nothing.
>>
>>47025809

What are idiots like you doing on a tech site, anyway?
>>
>>47025797
>same budget as US military spending 12 hours in Iraq.
>>
>>47025704
So uh how exactly does a geiger counter not detect ionising radiation
>>
I've been living near a nuclear power point for 10 years. Fortunately since I live in a non-shit tier country with sane regulations I feel safe as ever.
>>
>>47025797
15 billions from 34 countries over a couple of decades...
So yes, practically zero.

>>47025809
You're stupid

>>47025791
Geiger counters can't measure everything, and as I said, your main concern is small concentrations of radioactive particles, like thyroid and bone marrow seekers, which bioaccumulate over long periods at very low concentrations.
Also Geiger counters can't measure shit in water or inside your lungs unless you just received pretty much a fatal dose.
>>
>>47025092
I'd apply for a job there.
>>
>>47025871
Depends on your Geiger counter, without some modification, you're not going to pick up neutrons and without a decent window you're not going to detect alpha or weak beta but it's possible for them to be useful in health physics, particularly when neutrons are only really a problem with fission reactions.

If you want to do an assay on the air or water, you can use a small pore filter paper over a vacuum or evaporate the water and measure the residue.
>>
>>47025143
They'll all die
>>
>>47025092
I don't think they'll be able to fit a nuclear power plant in Paris downtown.
>>
>>47025591
>Fukoshima couldn't melt down

Are you aware that the only reason why Fukoshima failed was it because the power plant was outdated and when they had planned to updated it all the green loving queers started crying about nuclear power and thanks to them it never never was modernized.

You can literally blame fukoshima to the green loving liberals.
>>
>>47025957

You can blame anyone you want if it makes you feel better.

Anyway I'm done with this thread.

Most of you sound like teenagers and don't have any technical background, you just watched a 20 minute video of that loud balding guy working for a thorium industry think tank.

And even those who know what's going on aren't going to change their mind, so it's a dead end conversation.
>>
>>47025871
>your main concern is small concentrations of radioactive particles, like thyroid and bone marrow seekers
Iodine 131 has a half-time of 8 days and low concentrations of it in the air would be very easily detected with a geiger counter.

The only real problem is food.
>>
>>47025950
Make space by getting rid of the mudslimes
>>
>>47026021
>Look at how stupid everybody is!
>These people with a PHD in areas i have none in, are so stupid!

Ur an epic poster.
>>
>>47025322

How's the fishing going?
>>
>>47025092
Worried. It would bring down my property's selling value for no rational reason whatsoever.
>>
>>47025945
of old age
>>
>>47025158
microwave is a better analogy. Actually people are scared of things they don't know or can't see.
Thread posts: 131
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.