[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>steam machines >low budget >none of them have APU&

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 3

File: steam machine.jpg (64KB, 1020x591px) Image search: [Google]
steam machine.jpg
64KB, 1020x591px
>steam machines
>low budget
>none of them have APU's

why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jieAM7sxF5g
>>
>APU
>gaymen
not unless you are playing those censored weeb novels
>>
Even Valve realizes how shit AMD is.
Also they probably don't want to get sued for housefires.
>>
>>46921952
SteamOS is Linux based. AMD is notorious for bad drivers even on Windows.
>>
>>46922019

>implying people will use steamos once windows 10 comes out
>>
Because APUs can't actually play games on a 'console level' (30-60fps constant) unless you're playing at 1024x768.
>>
>>46921952
We probably won't see any APU based Steam Machines until the Zen APUs get released with onboard GPUs that use the new AMDGPU driver instead of Catalyst.

Or until AMD realizes that they just need to drop all support of Catalyst and put all their funding into RadeonSI and Mesa. Hell, maybe they could fund a Mesa driver that just sits on top of Vulkan and an open source Vulkan driver.
>>
>>46922135
what? i'm not a fan of APU's, but i was just looking at the A10-7850k in BF4, ran at 1080p on medium settings @ 60fps I think. not sure how they'll run in games that strain your CPU, but they can handle their own.

also, as for not using AMD, i believe their Vulkan API is heavily optimized for Haswell(?) or maybe just Intel in general. Something about 4400 - 4600 HD graphics working real good with Source 2 games or some shit? idk
>>
>>46922135

their next lineup will be more viable for it and better
>>
>>46922174
Its not optimized for Intel graphics in particular. Its just that their reference implementation was done on Intel. Considering that Vulkan is in many ways just Mantle 2.0 it should work perfectly well on AMD hardware.
>>
Best APU is roughly equal to a R7 250. Not really worth it for gaymen unless valve can convince AMD to make them something more like what the consoles use.
>>
Because AMD is for le poor people while Intel is for rich serious professional gamers
>>
>>46922135
>>46922019
Kavari based APU's do a fine job in games playing at 1080p on medium settings. This is the console level of performance. Moreover, a large number of people doing the steambox thing are going to be streaming from their gaming pc's, which can be done on a fucking toaster.
>>
File: 1425567065483.jpg (97KB, 680x497px) Image search: [Google]
1425567065483.jpg
97KB, 680x497px
>>46922220
>>
>>46922367
Not for gaming bro! I mean that it's not first on it
's list!
>>
>>46922367

You are completely retarded. If you buy a Titan to game with you are wasting your money.
>>
>>46922604
>>46922662
>t-titans are workstation GPUs
Epic.
>>
>>46922019
I've never had a major, dealbreaking problem with AMD drivers
nvidia appears to not give 2 shits about linux users
>>
File: DIY steambox.png (51KB, 535x356px) Image search: [Google]
DIY steambox.png
51KB, 535x356px
>>46921952
Already got it covered
>>
>>46922841
I did once for a time, then I removed my AMD card and haven't had unrecoverable lockups since with Intel or Nvidia drivers.
>>
APUs are too weak to be dedicated gaming machines.
>>
>>46922883
powersupply?
>>
>>46922841
no one give a shit about linux users.

make no mistake, valve only 'cares' because all they want is for you to be forced to use steam.
>>
>>46923032
Case comes with a 120W, total system consumption is going to be well under 90w on load
>>
So how are AMD drivers on linux these days
>>
>>46923027
An A8 7600 can do about 60fps@720p and 30fps@1080p, it's about on par with modern consoles.

>>46923071
AMD apparently has the best linux support right now.
>>
>>46923027
Unfortunately nobody got around to telling Microsoft and Sony this.
>>
>>46921952
APUs are currently bottlenecked by most RAM. The CPU has to send instructions to the GPU by storing the instructions on the RAM, then having the GPU retrieve those instructions from the RAM. That process is slowed considerably by all but high end DDR3 RAM.
AMD needs to get their shit together and get some DDR4 support for their APUs, and then you'll see them gain traction as a budget gaming option
>>
>>46923091
It's not really a budget gaming option when DDR4 costs a shit ton, it's really going to be good for mobile platforms though, a mobile APU with some DDR4 RAM is going to be pretty good for gaming at a low wattage.
>>
>>46923081
>AMD apparently has the best linux support right now.
I'm storing this under fiction.
>>
>>46923122
They're better with openGL aren't they?
>>
>>46923106
DDR4 prices are dropping steadily. And even with the extra cost of DDR4 RAM, you would still probably be able to build a system cheaper than something with a discrete low end GPU. DDR4 isn't *that* much extra.
>>
>>46923170
I'd need to see some benchmarks before anything, because with an APU it's always going to be a battle of GPU bottleneck Vs memory bottleneck, currently we're on memory.

Basically there's going to be an upper limit where the memory speed isn't going to help. but it will separate the A8 and A10 a little more than they are currently.
>>
>>46922841
Are you actually running Linux?

I run nvidia on Ubuntu every day. Last time I tried AMD on Linux, I couldn't even get X.org to start - even in VESA mode. Tried both 'stable' and 'beta' AMD drivers. Uninstallation of the AMD shit when I went back to nvidia was a bitch too.
>>
>>46923187
They've improved, there's also the open drivers or whatever to use now
>>
>>46921952
Only a couple Steam Machines could qualify as "low budget" most are ridiculously over priced. Again, most all of them are also just rebadged Windows machines. You shouldn't expect to see an APU in a Steam Machine when the OEM in question doesn't offer a comparable Windows system powered by an APU either.

>>46923091
The GPU has direct access to the system memory. What you are very poorly describing there is how parallel compute works, and it couldn't be more irrelevant here since the process is till hilariously faster than a CPU sending data to a discrete GPU.

Fast DDR3 with delta color compression provides adequate bandwidth for 8 CU. After Carrizo AMD will have HBM equipped APUs. There is no need for DDR4 to serve as VRAM.

This entire thread is full of idiots.
>>
>>46923195
My next PC won't have anything from AMD since I want to install SteamOS to it later, Windows first. Intel and Nvidia seem to be a better combo.
>>
>>46923267
But you shouldn't support the jews anon, plus AMD gives you the best bang for your buck, and the 300 series is going to be the way to go with it's 3D RAM
>>
>>46923260
>There is no need for DDR4 to serve as VRAM.
I highly doubt there's going to be substantial VRAM on die though. Certainly not enough to do any real gaming with.
>>
>>46923279
HBM isn't on die memory, its on package.

HBM1 modules are 1GB.
HBM2 modules are planned to be 4GB and 8GB with a data rate twice as high.
Every GPU going forward will have delta color compression.
>>
>>46923303
Wasn't the rumor that it was going to be on die or is it just going to be stitched on later
>>
>>46923314
Anon, HBM is interposer memory.
>>
>>46923273
It doesn't help if AMD gives better performance with less money, if I can't use that performance. Linux support is more essential.
>>
>>46922883
>Assrock
>>
>>46921952
Where is your cooler
>>
>>46923139
That doesn't matter when fglrx causes the entire OS to fucking crash. They have ramped up support now that Valve came to the same conclusion that other Linux users have.
>>
>>46923344
but they have linux support now. Wendell from tek syndicate is a huge linux nerd and he seems to prefer AMD
>>
>>46923399
He's also a youtuber and that invalidates everything he has to say.
>>
Is anyone here actually running AMD video on Linux right now, like as we speak? If so what are your current experiences with gaming performance and general usability?
>>
>>46923432
Yeah he gets a lot of stuff wrong. Hes great when it comes to networking and sys admin stuff, but thats all he really knows.
Last video they released he claimed that the Nvidia Shield console had a GTX 960 inside it, then he claimed that Valve was responsible for the Vulkan API.
>>
>>46923454
NVIDIA's site says the shield has a '256 core maxwell GPU' so, is that like potentially the equivalent of one-quarter of a GTX 960? :)
>>
>>46923440
no one on /g/ actually runs linux on their main rig
>>
>>46923505
I do. Nvidia tho.
>>
>>46923454
I imagine he's just reading things off news articles.
>>
>>46923507
FYI - gaming is a bit sparse, but heroes of newerth is my fav, so I'm pretty much covered.
>>
>>46923507
Why support the jews anon?
>>
>>46923440
I have a cheap AM1 build for network shit. Thermal sensors are 100% fucked and there is this weird error. Other than that HD video plays back fine from what I've tested although this is pretty much used entirely over putty. I may be from the USA but I sure as shit know it's not 4 degrees Celsius where the server is stored let alone CPU temp.
Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 30 on CPU 3.
[743619.444311] Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?
[743619.444315] Dazed and confused, but trying to continue

temp1:         +4.0°C
>>
>>46923518
Eh, don't care which ethnicity has the better drivers - I'm there regardless.
>>
>>46923520
Yeah seems like they could have fixed that sensor shit in the last... what 6 or 8 years that it's been a problem?

I think there's ways around it though. If you can get your kernel to recognize whatever chipset your motherboard uses for it's onboard temp sensors that might help.
>>
>>46923531
but they rape you with their prices most of the time
>>
>>46923492
Take your bait and choke on it.
The 960 is 1024 shaders, and they're clocked much higher than the IGP in Tegra X1 can reach.

>>46923511
That much is obvious.

>>46923520
All AMD temp sensors work like this, the program you're using for monitoring is misreading them.
They have one real sensor for package temp, then internally a bit of math is done to calculate remaining thermal margin based on power consumption. Google it if you want to read more about it.
>>
>>46923551
>>46923520
Speccy seem to work fine for AMD temps, just run it in wine or something.
>>
>>46923545
Get what you pay for I guess. Honestly I thought AMD was great back in the K6 and Athlon days. ATI has always been shit for drivers. What they really need is an even shittier competitor like Cyrix or s3 to make them look good.
>>
>>46923551
I think you misunderstood my post.... 256 shaders in shield console... 1024 shaders 'cores' in gtx 960. Therefore the shield console is 'one quarter' of a GTX 960. How is that bait?
>>
>>46923551
The program being used to monitor temps is just reading shit from /proc which gives validation to the AMD drivers for Linux are shit claim.
>>
>>46923585
A U T I S M
U
T
I
S
M
>>
>>46923650
http://www.overclock.net/t/1330946/amd-temperature-guide
http://www.overclock.net/t/1128821/amd-temp-information-and-guide
>>
>>46923681

TL;DR AMD has a confusing and unintuitive temperature scheme and they refuse to document it thoroughly enough for linux developers to untangle.
>>
>>46923681
What is this supposed to prove other than the fact that AMD has poor Linux support and the people reverse engineering their shit haven't a clue how to actually read it? You do understand what is being debated here do you not?
>>
>>46923750
>>46923734
The TL:DR is that the AM1 system in question isn't misreporting the value its polling.
That CPU is accurately idling at 4 on the thermal margin scale.
If you want to poll an actual temperature the "CPU" value is what should be used.

But if you understand how the thermal margin scale actually works it is far more accurate than anything else. You can tell how much thermal headroom any given chip has at any given time, since the scale is ultimately adjusted to the chip's real tjmax. It is more accurate even than a physical temp sensor since the logic itself is monitoring its own current leakage and power consumption in real time.

It has been like this for nearly a decade.
>>
>>46923804
Intel's core temp is adjusted to their TJmax as well, and still give's a human-readable temperature value by default.

The 'CPU Value' you mentioned depends on your motherboard manufacturers' specific implementation, and on a thermistor sitting relatively far from the CPU, and it sucks to have to rely on that.
>>
>>46923867
The individual core readings in an intel processor can be inaccurate. You can have one sensor read a core at 90c under load, will all others are at 60c. This might lead one to believe that there is an issue with how the heat sink is seated, or that their may be a curve in the IHS preventing effective cooling of one part of the die. Temp sensors are one thing that can pass validation even if they aren't fully functional because testing doesn't thermally stress the chips for extended periods to check the values outputted.

AMD's makes more sense, its simpler, and more reliable. One of the few things they get right.
>>
>>46923917
>One of the few things they get right.

It commonly reads *below ambient* temperatures by default, even in common Windows utilities because AMD can't be bothered to document how sensor readings relate to real temps on a given CPU model. If that's an example of something they got right, I'd hate to see what they got wrong.

Look at the #7 FAQ on Core Temp's website to see how useless AMDs documentation is.
http://www.alcpu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=892
>>
>>46923974
Because that value isn't a temperature, as has already been stated plainly.

It is a scale of thermal margin. If it is currently reading 10, and 70 is tjmax, then you know you have 60 units of thermal margin before hitting tjmax. If the chip throttles and drops voltage at 60, and you idle at 20, then you know you have 40 units of thermal margin before the chip throttles.

Its incredibly simple, accurate, and reliable.
Their only flaw is in not explicitly stating the these points on a scale for every given processor line.
I have no problem comprehending this while I'm totally shitfaced drunk. Its something that only enthusiasts need know for overclocking purposes, and it takes all of 3 minutes to understand after googling it.
>>
>>46924032
I understand that value isn't a temperature after reading all the convoluted descriptions from unofficial sources, but every system utility I've seen puts a C or an F behind it. It's unintuitive, it's not friendly to the user, and it's an oversimplification of something. It's hiding potentially important details behind the curtain of 'you don't need to know that'.

It shows the laziness and low standards of AMD that they won't even bother putting out a datasheet for each CPU model that shows offsets for the onboard thermal sensor.
>>
>>46923667
A U T I S M
U U T I S M
T T T I S M
I I I I S M
S S S S M
M M M M M

get on my level of autism
>>
>>46923367

stock cooler?
>>
>>46925252
solving as a system of equations =

a * u^2 * t^4 * s^5 * m^6
>>
>>46921952
>There is a Intel Iris based Steam Machine

Maximum.

Kek.

They know that knockoff chinese shit that AMD makes won't sell.
>>
Let alone APUs, not a single Steam Machine features an AMD dedicated card.

I thought AMD said they were going to work with Valve to optimise drivers. Looks like they dropped the ball. Hard.
>>
>>46921999
Fermi
>>
>>46927153

The fuck you doing? That isn't a system of equations because there's no right hand side. It's six EXPRESSIONS, not equations, so there's nothing to solve.

You could simplify, but there's no way to solve. And if you want to simplify you did it wrong because the first line is already in its simplest form.
>>
>>46923349
Assus is top tier. They don't even honor warranties. And have shit cooler schemes. And sell over priced gaymer stuff.
>>
>>46927314

Simplified (correctly) would be:

A U T I S M = AUTISM (already in simplest form)
U U T I S M = (U^2)TISM
T T T I S M = (T^3)ISM
I I I I S M = (I^4)SM
S S S S M = (2^4)M
M M M M M = (U^5)

And I think there are typos in the last two lines.
>>
>>46927290
2hot
>>
>>46927327
because font is shit and double spaces between "I"s don't work, it looks like shit
let me try with code and single spaces everywhere:
A U T I S M
U U T I S M
T T T I S M
I I I I S M
S S S S S M
M M M M M M

With this post, my autism exceeded any levels possible in this reality
Only way to become more autistic than me is to make this in 3D

Anyway, back to the topic about steam machines.
Is there any good DIY Steam Machine guide, where final products takes less space than dishwasher?
>>
>>46922036
>implying people will use windows 10
>>
>>46921952
Because even a 750ti is better than any fucking APU?
Why do you start threads before finishing elementary school?
>>
>>46922841
Nvidia has to develop for linux since for their tesla and mobile chips, almost 100% of them are using some sort of *nix thing.

You don't think people are building cuda supercomputers that run wangblows do you?
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.