[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who do people on /g/ care so much about minimal RAM usage? They

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

File: shared ram.jpg (121KB, 740x677px) Image search: [Google]
shared ram.jpg
121KB, 740x677px
Who do people on /g/ care so much about minimal RAM usage?
They even go so far as to disable caching, prefetch, superfetch, etc despite it having no effect on their ram availability.
Cached memory can be purged when a program requests more memory for itself.

Unused RAM is wasted RAM!
>>
If you want to bloat your RAM, go on, install and run stupid shit you don't need.

I care about lifetime, temperatures and performance.

Look at SSDs, would you really use every GB, although it hurts it's lifespan?

I don't think so.
>>
>>46865981
>I care about lifetime
lel

Do you think less OS memory usage is going to give your RAM sticks more lifetime? Also that shit tends to come with a lifetime warranty anyway.
>>
If you have to load more into memory when you open an application it will take longer to load.
I don't mind using ram for things applications that use it.
I do mind that a lot of applications is using resources inefficiently and thus being slower than they need to be.

If I were to look up a datasheet for something I would most likely open my browser and make a search to find it.
Then I would simply click on the link to view the pdf.

If this is done with firefox I would be using 150-200MB of ram. If the pdf file was handed over to an application made for viewing pdf's it would use a lot less resources.
Even the browser could be more efficient. Alternative browsers use 40-70MB of ram to do the same thing (although they rarely have the plugins available so I personally use firefox).
>>
>>46865941
>Unused RAM is wasted RAM!
But I like when I choose what it's used on. Not some hipster webdev who thinks every website should have 1mil lines of javascript.
>>
'cause tiny numbers look nice.

Why are those girls eating that ram?
>>
I only have 2GB so it matters a lot
>>
>>46865941
God, you fucking weeaboos have a picture for everything
>>
/g/ is retarded and you get a bunch of dumb rice-a-roni ass kids thinking it matters

Get a job, none of your 1337 R1C1N6 gimmicks do anything and milliseconds do not matter.
>>
File: 1416608460980.png (50KB, 407x272px) Image search: [Google]
1416608460980.png
50KB, 407x272px
>Who do people on /g/ care so much about minimal RAM usage?
To shitpost on /bst/tier threads.

>>46865981
>lifetime
>temperatures
>>
>>46866315
It think it's illustrating how the processor and the graphics chip in a laptop is using shared memory.
>>
>>46865981
>lifetime
Nice meme I have DDR and PC66 sticks that are 16 years old and work the same as when I got them.
>>
>>46866352
This. The more shit like this I see the more this board turns me off.
>>
>>46866609
>complaining about chinese food at a chinese buffet
>>
>>46866648
>Every board is for anime XD
>>
File: 1425490867281.png (379KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1425490867281.png
379KB, 1024x1024px
>>46866609
~uguu
>>
Because my inspiron can't have more than 8 gigs apparently :(
>>
>>46866666
why don't you go le troll /adv/

its way easier there
>>
>>46866609
>continuously whining day in and day out about animu pictures

The real definition of insanity is doing THE SAME FUCKING THING, OVER AND FUCKING OVER AGAIN and expecting a different outcome every time. Pathetic faggots like you make me kek every time I see a post like yours.

Don't like it? FIND ANOTHER BOARD. or you know, keep sissyanal crying about the same shit over and over again, it shows what kind of person you are in real life, a do-nothing loser with a soap-box the size of cockroach.
>>
File: 6636500.jpg (56KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
6636500.jpg
56KB, 300x300px
Unused watts are wasted watts! Remember, if you buy a 1500 W PSU, throw as much power-intensive hardware in your rig as you possibly can so you can push 1500 watts non-stop.

And remember that unused CPU cycles are wasted cycles. Be sure to boggle down your CPU with intensive applications at all times!
>>
>>46866352
see
>>46866763
>>
>>46866766
If I could afford a 1500W consuming desktop, I would definitely be using it like that.

>Be sure to boggle down your CPU with intensive applications at all times!
>don't use your shit, just post pictures of them running 5 terminals in Arch
>>
>>46866766
>Not folding proteins when your computer is idle and you are asleep.
>>
>>46866666
basically yes
>>
>>46866766
RAM uses the same amount of power and operates at the same frequency regardless of content. Of all the autists on /g/, RAM usage phobics are without a doubt the most irrational.
>>
>>46866666
what a waste of quints
>>
>>46867030
While basically, at the same time, no.
>using an anime related picture≠discussing anime
>>
Only time I care about my ram usage is when I'm editing photos in lightroom and converting 200 pic to jpg
>>
File: img2.png (17KB, 839x125px) Image search: [Google]
img2.png
17KB, 839x125px
And this is why KDE is superior. You can switch Okular to "greedy" mode, which will cause it gobble up at most 50% of your unused RAM to keep the current PDF in memory at all times. Speeds up everything immensely if you've got 8GB or more RAM.

Why waste time unloading things? Embrace the bloat.
>>
>>46866766
>unused CPU cycles are wasted cycles
I wouldn't be surprised if the Gov't required all personal computers during wartime to use civilian CPU cycles to brute force shit in a massive distributed computing scheme.
>>
File: wow anon.jpg (78KB, 884x574px) Image search: [Google]
wow anon.jpg
78KB, 884x574px
>>46868042
>bruteforcing cryptography
>CPU
>>
>>46868042
>mfw the government confiscates my 290X
>>
Niggawatt, I've noticed my droid turbo almost always uses the same amount of ram no matter what I do.
>>
>>46868134
>cryptography is the only thing that can be brute forced
>>
>>46868146
I think the Geneva convention would disagree with that.
>>
>>46868453
Didn't Bush throw that out of window the second Republicans won House and Senate majorities in 2002?
>>
>>46866045
>what is electromigration
>>
>>46866352
So do ponies.

The only difference is that stupid fucks get so butthurt about ponies that they had to be banned.
>>
>>46866666
Quints of truth

The elder gods have agreed to blow weebs the fuck out

>>46866763
>2014
>being this mad that someone insulted your cartoons

Calm down m8

Plus the whole >definition of insanity is doing the same thing over

a) dosent apply here
b) is a stupid way to define insanity
>>
>>46868480
>>>/reddit/

I think you'll fit in better there
>>
>>46865941
Because people on /g/ use exclusively 16 year old memepads, so they don't have enough ram
>>
>>46865981
>>46868563
Computer hardware should last far past the point of obsolescence running at full capacity regularly. Expecting anything less is just asking manufacturers to assfuck you.
>>
>>46866609
I don't watch anime or post anime pictures, and the only thing that annoys me about it is people like you who won't stop complaining.
>>
I think it has to do with legacy thinking. Back then memory conserved was a big deal.
>>
>>46865981
Wow, you're one dumb fuck. If you think using less ram per cycle affects the lifetime of your ram, you're really a completely deluded moron. Hint : it's about power to the chips rather than switched values across their circuits.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.