[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> hate OSX > some internet acquaintances tell me about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 16

File: guy_laptop.jpg (82KB, 495x385px) Image search: [Google]
guy_laptop.jpg
82KB, 495x385px
> hate OSX
> some internet acquaintances tell me about hackintosh
> well fuck i'll try it for the heck of it, know your enemies right
> installs, no problems
> install torrent client
> install vlc
> want to rice, but everything already looks fucking smooth
> want to install my own leet software but everything already works as it should

i ... i feel so confused
>>
what osx are you using? I'm thinking about turning my thinkpad x200t into a hackintosh
>>
>>46860265
I dont get it, you hate OSX but you made an hackintosh to run OSX on a non apple hardware?
>>
>>46860310
He is obviously tsundere for apple
>>
>>46860265

I use OSX every day for work and it's just not a good OS.
>>
There is no decent window manager available for OS X. I cannot be productive under it.
>>
>>46860292
Good luck, I tried with my x200.
You might succeed if you replace the network card.
>>
>>46860355

Or package manager, or desktop environment.
>>
>>46860292
10.10 yo semite OS

>>46860310
eh me mates were using it and not giving it a shot wouldve made me look like a hypocrite

>>46860338
honestly i can't really find a flaw with it yet [spoiler]apart from it's for fags right lol[/spoiler]

i feel like my view on tech stuff is crumbling. i always preferred linux because muh freedom muh customizability but i'm getting fed up, have been for a while now, there's always a bug glitch or fuckup right around the corner

>>46860367
que

>package manager
app store basically; fink or macports if you're le leet neet

>DE & window manager
the default is fucking sweet. i think there's a tiling WM out there, didn't try it though. never liked tiling, didn't make sense to me
>>
>>46860355
>There is no decent window manager
You can install i3 if you want tiling.
>>46860367
>package manager
There's brew.
>desktop environment.
what, do you want to install KDE under OS X? lel
>>
>>46860367

homebrew, macports
>>
>>46860336
ebin
>>46860338
>I'm incompetent in so many ways ranging from computer use to expressing cogent opinions. >>46860367
brew, ports, fink

ITT memekids gotta meme because stupid/poor.
>>
>>46860265
Next thing you'll buy a Mac.
>>
>>46860265
My dad used to work for apple and he told me they stole all their ideas from samsung and then microsoft bought apple and didn't tell anyone and then stole all their ideas from android and then samsung bought apple and that they were all gay and that my dad is now gay and no gay son of his would be a not gay and I wish I could afford a macbook pro but not really because they are such pieces of shit and plastic chinkpads invented computers.
>>
>>46860409
Not him but yeah, I've been running hackintosh since late 2013 and I'll probably get myself a Macbook Pro Retina next refresh.
>>
File: sp.jpg (27KB, 500x324px) Image search: [Google]
sp.jpg
27KB, 500x324px
>>46860424
>>
>>46860265
>hate Windows
>people convince me to build a gaming machine
>well fuck, I've got some spare money anyway
>install, huge problems
>drivers conflicting
>UI is ugly as fuck, throw up on my keyboard
>Why did I do this?
>>
>>46860448
You seem quite retarded. Most of shit works OOB.

>implying too stupid to download graphics driver from the internetz
>>
>>46860448

>install windows
>download and install graphic drivers
>download and install intel drivers
>download and install audio drivers

Done.

But hey, i guess its pretty hard to do that.
>>
>>46860399
>install i3
>can only tile xorg applications, which is basically terminal and nothing else
Fucking macfags
>>
>>46860265
You hated OSX before you ever used it? Wow. You really want to give it a try? Install Office.
>>
>>46860582
Use bettertouchtool for that :3
>>
Here is footage of OSX working on the new Cintiq Companion 2. Thoughts?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8865q9JfwKI
>>
hacks don't work anymore as apple changed the way iMessage authenticates. do yourself a favour and buy a real mac
>>
>>46861333
>hacks don't work anymore as apple changed the way iMessage authenticates.
Uh, yeah they do, you just need to do some serious hoop-jumping to get iMessage to work
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html
I've never bothered because I'm too lazy
>>
>>46860265
>vlc
I came here to laugh at you.
>>
>>46861627
if you did bother to try you'd realise it's pretty much impossible currently, unless you have an old mac you don't use that you can steal the id from
>>
>>46860572
Except you forgot

>install windows
>no network driver
>have to find cable to connect
>wait no ethernet driver either
>have to find another computer
>'now i've got it'
>plug in usb with driver downloaded
>device not recognized unable to install
>spend the better part of a day to just install drivers
>in the end it doesn't work as intended
To this day I haven't been able to install the synaptics touchpad enabling two finger scrolling in my sister's laptop after I wiped it because viruses. And I tried a lot.
>>
>>46862275

Doesn't sound very likely. I don't even use windows as a daily driver, but when I did (back at Win7), everything was basically plug-and-play and worked ootb. Never had any issues with drivers.

Or are you trying to use windows 95 or something stupid like that?
>>
>>46862275
This happens to a handful of producers, because they fucked up and forgot to ask Microsoft to provide driver support for that specific part. Hardly the fault of Microsoft.
>>
>>46861333
i never use imessage
>>
>everything works as it should
maybe if you are a casual user, but even simple shit like showing hidden files requires either a program or you to edit some file
>>
>>46862275
what kind of nigger tier nics do you have?
the only time one of mine hasnt worked out of the box is with my mac, and with my desktops killer nic
>>
>>46862755
it's one line of terminal code?
>>
>>46862755
its just a terminal command anon. is babby afwaid of the scawee terminal?
>>
>>46862323
Or Windows 98.
>>
>>46860265
>hate OSX
>never actually used
/g/ lads and gents
>>
>>46860448
Only if you get it from a shady source
>>
>>46862859
>>46862854
shit should be on by default
>>
>>46862937
windows doesn't even have python installed by default, or basic tools such as see and ask and you want to talk about defaults?
>>
>>46862937
por que

look at all this shit noone except some devs will ever need

on by default is a horrible idea
>>
>>46862969
sed and awk, fuck you lg keyboard
>>
File: 059.png (7KB, 237x153px) Image search: [Google]
059.png
7KB, 237x153px
>>46862755
>>46862937
This is not an issue with Hackintosh as I type a simple terminal command to view hidden files as well on my MBA
>>
>>46862937
>it isn't exactly as I wish by default so it doesn't work as it should
you sure sound like a power user
>>
>>46862978
dont put so much shit in the home folder, or have it hide "system files" like windows
>>
File: .png (314KB, 1400x997px) Image search: [Google]
.png
314KB, 1400x997px
speaking of homebrew, help me populate this list with other homebrew essentials

already added coreutils
>>
>>46863022
aren't hidden files mostly system files though?
and I think you can access hidden files with no edits if you know where they're located (just use the go to-thing in a menu) (I'm silly and I use my mac in my native language so I might've used the wrong wording for the go to-thing)

anyway OS X just sound like an awesome OS if that is the first big flaw that comes to mind when it comes to it
>>
>>46863022
yfw it's actually my windows user directory accessed from finder with hidden files on show

>or have it hide "system files" like windows
exactly what OSX and windows both do by default; OSX just calls them "hidden files"; same difference.

in case you're misunderstanding my point (because it seems so, eh?): I was responding to someone who said it would be good to show ALL files by default. My screenshot was to support my claim that it's a bad idea.
>>
>>46863100
it's "Go" > "Go to Folder..." and yes they capitalised "Folder" lol

but you're right.

also I suggest you set your PC / mobile to english, helps with immersion. I do the same with spanish
>>
>>46863100
trust me, there are LOTS of bigger flaws, this hidden file shit is just what I have to deal with this cluster fuck all the time

>>46863103
then make it a fucking toggle thing that would take me 2 seconds to turn on so I dont have to deal with this shit all the time
>>
>>46863157
its one command, alias it in the terminal or make an applescript to do it from the GUI. or assign the command to a keyboard shortcut

you are a power user, right?
>>
File: EYSuMPU.jpg (17KB, 290x500px) Image search: [Google]
EYSuMPU.jpg
17KB, 290x500px
>>46863157
>this hidden file shit is just what I have to deal with this cluster fuck all the time
nigger whutchu talkin bout

if this is something you need to do "all the time" make a fucking script

i'm sure there's a dozen scripts on the web made by scrawny nerds ready to DL at your convenience

if you have any clue about computers generally you'll manage that

I'm usually a die-hard enemy of having to do shit in a terminal but I'm real fucking indifferent to this. This is something only advanced users need, it has no business being in the general settings dialog and it would be retarded to make an advanced settings tab just for that.

You can toggle show / hide in like 3 seconds

what's the problem jesus fuck
>>
Anyone who thinks OSX is a bad operating system is technologically incompetent.

Also,
>vlc
>not mpv
>>
>>46863274
i can see how other players may beat VLC from a technical viewpoint but for most users VLC gets the job more than done. no hate mate
>>
>>46863291
True. I like MPV but its honestly more of a hassle to use than VLC or one of the older graphical mplayer "packages". Until you've got it set up and are used to using it, anyway. After that it just werks.
>>
>>46863291
At that point why not use QuickTime? It comes pre-installed.
>>
File: instal_gento.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
instal_gento.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>46860265

your next step is to get their hardware.
>>
How is the tonymac botnet treating all you guyz?
>>
>>46863274
vlc 2.2 or whatever the new release version there is actually an improvement but yeah I agree
>>
>>46862275
Put the driver on a CD then. Disk drives occasionally contain their own driver in firmware or use a super generic one. It almost always works even when all other drivers are fucked.
>>
>>46860265
Try snapping windows, fucking pointless. Their main interface is very antikeyboard. Drives me nuts.
>>
>>46863274
>Only insecure nix variant
>init system based on XML
>worst filesystem in use today
>>
File: ahue.gif (491KB, 500x220px) Image search: [Google]
ahue.gif
491KB, 500x220px
>>46862937
>OSX
>show hidden files by default

I guess we should put toddlers on mountain bikes with no training wheels as well.

Come on, people expect a certain level of safety when they are using babies first OS
>>
>>46863322
doesn't support a whole lot of formats. VLC handles anything I throw at it

>>46863319
maybe i'll have a look at it. hate the VLC interface. i wish they hadn't stopped development on perian

>>46863332
i always wonder why people don't fuck around more with the computers that are on display in stores

>>46863342
fantastic, it jus werx
>>
>>46863445
>Come on, people expect a certain level of safety when they are using babies first OS
this is actually what all OSes used by more than three people do. even loonix.
>>
>>46863473
Actually how about this. All admin/root/sudoers have hidden files shown by default, standard users have them hidden.

Why isn't this a thing? Obviously you have ls -a in terminal, but I mean for GUI file explorers. Why the fuck don't root users have them shown by default?
>>
>>46860265
I had the same experience with a new notebook I just bought with Windows 8.1

It came with a shit load of bloatware but they load windows product key in the UEFI so you can download a legit disk from Microshaft and have no worries getting it activiated.

> few hours later after fucking around
> clean 8.1 install
> install vlc, handbrake, gimp, ccleaner
> look up how to customize tweak start/app view and theme
> feel like I want to rice, but everything already looks fucking good

I haven't had anything since Vista and no Windows in my house since ~2007 but I think I may now be a winfag.
>>
>>46862275
That shit only happens if you use an older Windows than the machine shipped with in my experience.

If it came with 7 you need at least that for shit to work OOTB, ditto if it came with 8.
>>
>>46863538
because even root users usually don't need them; most sysadmins either use the terminal or some piece of software that allows them to manage dozens of workstations at the same time. in practice it doesn't happen that often that admins actually manually change config files or whatever
>>
>>46863560
to each their own, i prefer OSX still but i feel like MS is doing good work atm. i think win10 could turn out pretty cool. at the same time apple has the whole flat design thing going on which really seems less crisp and spicy than the whole skeuomorphism they had going. it's starting to look somewhat bland and vaguely designy in a boring nondescript way.

maybe not being in first place is a good thing for microsoft. i appreciate them cutting the crap
>>
>>46863652
Tbh I've never used OS X or a Mac since the early 2000's when we got an old as shit one as our first ever computer (we were quite poor). My father has bought one of those iMac all-in-one things, looks pretty cool but I wont get to see him or have a go in it for a few months.

I did see that more flat look for iOS and OS X I think, could be worse but if everything works smooth as shit I could probably look over it to some extent.
>>
>>46863709
>>46863709
idk man. i think they're losing focus

on top of that, the new look is implemented somewhat half-assedly. pic related as an example. they have the new circular, somewhat-flat-and-symbolic-yet-with-drop-shadow icons alongside the old "hard skeuomorphism" style icons. it's not the end of the world but it looks wonky.
the overuse of helvetica is just cliche.

two things they fucked up. having jony ive design interfaces rather than just hardware; and being half hearted about implementation generally. i think cook is a weak leader. the guy who was actually supposed to take over after jobs was bullied out. i think jobs grew soft with all that cancer in him and appointed tim fag thinking sentimentally rather than as a businessman.

but hey, time will tell
>>
>>46860582
You seem to be of the dense kind.

Can i3 tile non-X applications in Linux?

i3 can tile all X software under OS X, just like it can tile all X software under Linux.

If you don't have any X software in your OS X, it's your fault retard.
>>
File: 1423239932341.gif (851KB, 700x455px) Image search: [Google]
1423239932341.gif
851KB, 700x455px
>>46864065
how do I into i3 on OS X?
>>
>>46865149
Install Xquartz.
Install i3.
>>
>>46865294
I've done both of those things but actually getting i3 to run is a bit more complicated than that unfortunately. I'm having trouble with finding the dependencies and actually building it since it i3 isn't offered officially by homebrew or macports
>>
>>46863053
http://flashlight.nateparrott.com/
Nice addition to Spotlight if you choose that instead of Alfred on Yosemite.
Also there's Radiant to listen to Google Play Music and OpenEmu is the best emulator hands down, comes with a lot of pre-installed cores for old systems and you can download even more. Also it's FOSS.
>>
>>46860265

Get homebrew and Cask. I just found out, that OS X is a hell of a lot better with them.
>>
>Use OS X for years now
>Want to give Windows a shot
>Install it via boot camp
>boot Windows, use it for a few minutes
>Holy shit, now I remember
>Delete Partition again.
>>
>>46860265
Perhaps, OP, you don't hate OS X. You fucking idiot.
>>
>people still use Homebrew as the package manager

All of you should switch to the glorious MacPorts.

Homebrew
>made by ruby hipsters
>takes over /usr/local, which everybody which knows a little about *nix knows is for manual user-compiled software, as GNU autotools use it as the default prefix dir
>complains if you dare to install something there
>tiny number of packages
>uses system provided python/ruby/etc installs, which can break anytime due upgrades

MacPorts
>follows the FreeBSD philosophy, made by competent people
>installs in /opt, doesn't interfere with you
>gigantic number of packages. Everything is there, without having to manually search and "tap" additional repos. You can even install fucking GNOME 3 on Xquartz if you want.
>isolates itself from the system
>13 years of development, stable as fuck
>>
>>46866043
>still use Homebrew

You say that like ports is a new thing. As you pointed out, it's 13 years old and on top of that most of the packages are out of date.
>>
>>46866043
>You can even install fucking GNOME 3 on Xquartz
Wat
Have anyone here tried this? It sounds fun
>>
OS X protips:

>XtraFinder/TotalFinder is a far better than Apple's shitty Finder and builds upon it to give you more options and make it not crap.
>Get yourself BetterTouchTools if you use a real Mac trackpad.
>Learn the terminal, you won't regret it.
>Using the terminal? Get Oh-My-Zsh already.
>Get yourself Homebrew and Cask. Loads of interesting and useful tools there.
>For example ffmpeg that can easily convert audio and video to whatever you wish.
>Cask is an extension to Homebrew that installs applications like a normal package manager. It's the OS X equivalent of sudo apt-get install, Pacman -Syu and chocolatey.
>mpv is the hands down best video player on OS X.
>mpd + ncmpcpp is advanced, but the best music player on OS X that also supports real audio formats like Opus and ogg vorbis.
>Transmission is subjectively the best torrent application.
>>
>>46866177
mpd + ncmpcpp would be fucking fantastic if it could support Soundcloud and/or Spotify.
>>
>>46862937
>>46862937
>shit should be on by default
Are you an idiot?

There are tons of files, used by the system (like temp files, .DS files, some .plists and other xml files), that the user isn't supposed to interact with.

Why clutter the view with stuff nobody needs?

If you really need something specifically, you're a command away from accessing it anyway.
>>
>>46860265
Install homebrew, ditch VLC for MPV.
>>
>>46866177
>XtraFinder/TotalFinder is a far better than Apple's shitty Finder and builds upon it to give you more options and make it not crap.
Serious question: What exactly? I can't think of anything. Also, thanks for finally posting something on macs on /g/ that's not some retarded flame, but actually useful.
>>
>>46866380
It lets you actually cut and paste, which Apple decided we don't need.
>>
>>46866380
Folders on top, press delete to delete the file, cut and paste, file paths, open terminal here, show/hide hidden files, good tab system.

That's just the tip of the ice berg. It's worth taking a look at.
>>
>>46866879
cmd+option+V
>>
>>46860355
>>46860367
Install homebrew and then install your DE and WM of choice. OS X is *nix so it just works.
>>
>>46866969
Does not work in Yosemite
>>
>>46867094
yes it does, I'm using Yosemite
>>
>>46867130
What computer? My Macbook Air won't let me. Not even an option under >edit
>>
>>46862500
And yet it's the fault of Linux for not having every single device driver present in most distros' kernels.
>>
>>46862500
>This happens to a handful of producers
The opposite is the case

Most windows machines are cheap fucks.
Windows machines on the mass market aren't that good, you're often even more fucked if you have a laptop.
>>
>>46860355
This
>>
>>46866981
I wish people would stop saying this shit like its that easy. Been trying to install i3 for 2 weeks now but theres a lack of documentation and its not even offered officially by homebrew or macports
>>
>>46867191
I find the window manager to get in the way. I bought a Mac hoping for speed, which I got. It's the fastest computer I ever used... but doing anything feels cluttered, and feels like my control over my own workload is minimal.
>>
>>46867250
I installed a tool that rearranged the windows to work like a tiling wm, which is a little bit better than normal
>>
>>46867267
what tool? and doesn't anyone else have a problem where transmission doesn't connect to peers?
>>
>>46867353
transmission Works On My Machine idk what to tell you, try a different tracker
>>
>>46867250
Command+Spacebar, "name of file or app you want to open goes here", return

In the case of apps, just the first couple letters will work. For example "term" gets terminal up in one second without having to touch the mouse.
>>
>>46867399
Use Quicksilver instead. Ctrl Spacebar then.

It's way better because it ignores typos intelligently.
There are ton of other features, too.

Try it, it's even OpenSource.
>>
>>46867383
same torrent but deluge downloads it while transmission is stuck trying to find peers. A turning off and on of the firewall seemed to resolve it temporarily
>>
>>46860265
>hate OSX
>some guys in my senior software engineering project are huge apple dickriders
>they convince me everything apple is the best
>well fuck it ill try it for the heck of it
>install OSX on a VM
>nothing works right
>horribly laggy, terrible apps, shit disappearing all the time, have to go into settings just to enable a right click, every decent app costs money, etc
>nothing works on safari correctly
>try to get firefox, firefox costs $50 on mac
>decide to delete the VM and never try mac shit again
>guy in project group convinces me to give it another shot because you cant just gather an opinion on an OS using a VM
>end up agreeing that he's right
>go on ebay and buy a used macbook
>same exactly problems
>piece of shit laptop
>only cool thing is the charger
>same guy convinces me that it only sucks because I have an old model
>go out and buy a brand new top of the line i7 macbook pro retina for $2,700
>take it out of the hipster packaging
>boot it up
>it wont boot
>try to search google on how to fix the problem
>all people who own macs are retarded hipsters who dont know about computers and say you have to take it to the macstore
>fine maybe they are right
>take it back to the macstore where nobody in there knows about this problem and they assure me they will handle it and they will call me in a few days to update me
>after a week they realize they wont be able to fix it
>have to exchange it for another one
>the one they give me has obviously already been opened and used before and I found a pubic hair on the keyboard
>boot it up
>it actually works
>realize it STILL has all of the original problems from the original VM

>mac
not. even. once.
>>
File: 072.png (357KB, 1102x844px) Image search: [Google]
072.png
357KB, 1102x844px
>>46867529
nice story faggot, if only it were true
>>
The OS X wm is god tier.
Mission Control, Expose and plugins such as Moom and BTT make it A++.
>>
>>46867353
https://github.com/ianyh/Amethyst
>>
>>46867529
>firefox costs $50 on mac
sensiblechuckle.gif
>>
>>46867529
I got firefox on sale for only $29.99
>>
>>46867529
>firefox costs $50 on mac
>not paying $100 for ultra privacy enhanced firefox elite edition
poorfag
>>
File: 18956457863.png (45KB, 317x293px) Image search: [Google]
18956457863.png
45KB, 317x293px
>>46860265
Yo Semite!
>>
File: The_Real_Maverick.jpg (1MB, 2157x3019px) Image search: [Google]
The_Real_Maverick.jpg
1MB, 2157x3019px
I use Mavericks for my hackintosh.
>>
File: Goldfinder.png (508KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Goldfinder.png
508KB, 1024x1024px
>>46867719
>>
>>46867647
>>46867660
cant i just download it from their website ? that works fine with 10.6.9
>>
File: 1422052539414.jpg (75KB, 655x606px) Image search: [Google]
1422052539414.jpg
75KB, 655x606px
>>46868537
>taking the bait
>>
>>46867529
>And then I went on the internet and told lies! Haha!
>>
>>46863443
All hyperbole or crap
>>
>>46863809
Overuse of Helvetica? It's a great font, and sort of thematic of the brand. How do you overuse a font like Helvetica?
>>
>>46867529
cool story bro
Thread posts: 122
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.