[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else feel completely disassociated from current consumer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: image02_May._14_11.43[1].jpg (22KB, 553x309px) Image search: [Google]
image02_May._14_11.43[1].jpg
22KB, 553x309px
Anyone else feel completely disassociated from current consumer tech trends?

There was time I used to buy a new laptop every year, and a new smartphone every 6 months. But now I haven't bought a new laptop in 7 years. Mostly because of chiclet keyboards which is an automatic deal breaker for me. I've also been using some tmobile re-branded android phone I bought for $39.99 after my galaxy s2 broke. With kitkat flashed on its functionality equivalent to the highest end phones being released today.

Seems like the entire industry is focused more on thinness and chic design more so than functionality or quality, but the actual technology hasn't progressed to provide any more real value.
>>
>>46837187
the law of diminishing returns
>>
Yes.

I don't like the trend in laptop design or phone design.
>>
Because tech is mainstream now.
>>
File: crap.jpg (50KB, 267x500px) Image search: [Google]
crap.jpg
50KB, 267x500px
>>46837187
I'm almost in the same boat as you.

I got a dell SUPER DUPER desktop like 6-7 years ago. It started seeming really slow playing my games and I was going to get a new SUPER DUPER DELL. But then I stopped playing games as much.

Then I found /g/, installed Linux, and now I don't think I'll spend more than 200 on a computer ever again.

In the last 10 years I've used three phones. A Nokia 6230, Samsung s1, and my current Samsung s2. The Nokia's ringer speaker stopped working after 8 years. I accidentally bricked the s1.

I think the next phone I get will be one of those $10 phones that you see advertised to old people (With the giant buttons)

Along with that I'll get a cheap small tablet to run all the neat-o apps.
>>
>new laptop every year
> smart phone every 6 months

What the holy fuck kind of life do you live
>>
>>46837187
Are you even trying? I got my first smartphone last year and have never owned a laptop.
>>
>>46837187
>consumer
>tech
These two words should be as far away from each other as possible.
>>
>>46837496

That nightmare is reality now.
>apple worth $750,000,000,000
>>
>>46837187
I Use a toughbook from 2007. My phone is from 2010
>>
What? Don't you like razor-thin, easily bendable phablets with a non-removable 4-hour battery?

What a faggot, you are.
>>
>>46837396

my GS4 broke a year ago and i've literally been using a $10 (well, its was $9.99) phone I bought to make calls before I ordered a new smartphone for over a year. I realized, this thing has email, bluetooth, a web browser (enough to browse 4chan or the news in a bathroom stall). I haven't bought a new smartphone yet, can't justify the cost when this $10 junkphone is functionally equivalent (since I don't play phone games).
>>
Seconded, I see no need to change my electronic devices if they don't stop working.
>>
I think it's more that all of you are maturing and realizing that having the newest laptop/phone/whatever does not make you happy, as long as it still works and does what you need it to, there's no reason to get a new one.
>>
theres no reason for me to ever get a new laptop again tbh
>Thinkpad T430 here along with a note 2 with CM11
>>
>>46837396
how computer savvy do you need to be to install and use linux?
>>
Tech in the 2000s was fucking shit. I'm happy that thin devices with good screens and long battery lives are becoming more popular instead of the crap we had back then focusing on stupid shit like muh RAM and muh jijajertz.
>>
>>46838544
Not at all. I never even considered installing linux until about 2 months ago. Now I have the meme distro (the OTHER meme distro) installed and working well.

If you have time to play around with it in a VM, I highly suggest it. It runs a fuck ton faster than any Windows I've ever used. I was considering getting a new laptop before I switched.
>>
>>46837194
Basically this. The only solution is to come up with a ground breaking technology that will replace silicon based processors. Only then can we continue to improve performance while decreasing physical size of objects. I think we are at the edge of that moment and it will fucking hit us like a hurricane. Imagine if something like an optical APU were created that would allow the creation of a Galaxy S5 phone to have the capacity to play crysis 3 on max settings and on 1080p - and do all that and use less energy than your typical ARM phone cpu? You have to be patient as these things will most likely happen in your lifetime.
>>
>>46837187
I don't feel disconnected
There just are no trends
It's the same stuff just marginally better each year
I can hold off updates for years and years and I won't get too far behind
I'm just waiting for the 'big change' to come that will propel technology into a new era, instead of just making the same things slightly better
>>
>>46837187
>There was time I used to buy a new laptop every year, and a new smartphone every 6 months. But now I haven't bought a new laptop in 7 years. Mostly because of chiclet keyboards which is an automatic deal breaker for me.

Same here, I'm thinking about buying a T420s (the last thinkpad to have a classic keyboard) and keep it on life support until this chiclet madness ends
>>
>>46837266
This.

i hate when something become trendy.
>>
>>46837716
What's your $10 phone model?
>>
I hope my Thinkpad T410 lasts for a good while as I have no idea what I'll get when it dies. Modern laptops are only getting worse. I guess I could always just get another old Thinkpad.
>>
>>46837529
That's no surprise, seeing they're a government-funded cult.
>>
laptop 7 years old
phone 5 or 6 year old dumbphone slider
sold my gps, mp3 player, camera, desktop PC
gave away DSLR to my sister

I am still intersted in tech and I work in PC shop so I am well informed but I dont see a point in spending so much on shitty plastic deprecating stuff as long as my old one meets my needs and works properly.

I am not a poorfag either, if my laptop kicks the bucket I will probably buy a high-end one just like I did 7 years ago. If my phone bricks itself I have one more identical with cracked screen I can maybe use for spares. If not I will just buy used Lumia 532 and have everything I sold in this device.
>>
>>46837187
How did you afford replacing your stuff every year/half-year? I'm using an S3 because of 3 year plan and an old HP laptop cause it just works.
>>
>>46838585
>the OTHER meme distro
Arch? FreeBSD?
>>
>>46841982
I have a job.
>>
Still waiting for the right phone to replace my nexus 4
>>
Tbh, if there was a nice 6" WiFi tablet, I'd go back to brick phones.
>>
> Seems like the entire industry is focused more on thinness and chic design more so than functionality or quality, but the actual technology hasn't progressed to provide any more real value.

Because all the fucking retarded as shit consumers want shit that emulates ishit products. Buy a fucking business class laptop if you want something worth a fuck, or just go to laptopexperience.com
>>
>>46842226
I replaced mine with a Oneplus One
>>
>>46842226
Just get a Moto X, man.

>>46842887
>Buying the monumental failure which was the Oneplus One
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.