[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Proprietary File Systems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

If you were trying to access files on a proprietary file system with no existing drivers or extraction programs, where would you start? In particular, I'm trying to access the recorded TV programs my Scientific Atlanta DVR. I know this kind of thing is possible as a program called TwinRip existed about ten years ago which did exactly this, but doesn't appear to work on newer systems - or at least I haven't gotten it to work. That file system was called STAVFS (STMicroelectronics Audio-Visual File System)

Yes, yes, I know. "Use a capture card to record TV! SO MUCH EASIER!!11!1!" I have been doing so for well over a year, but that shit is time consuming.
>>
Look for file headers and go from there. If it's encypted you're screwed
>>
>>46777199

Do you think standard file recovery software (Easeus, Recuva, etc) would be effective? Do those sorts of programs have to know the file system, or do they just look for file headers?
>>
>>46776954
hey faggot maybe google huh?

if you're extra retarded heres a hint
"scientific atlanta file system"
>>
>>46777271

I've spent the last month scouring every fucking tech/AVFS forum where people have discussed accessing the DVR's file system. The the farthest anyone gets is, "Gee, looks like a proprietary file system, I give up"

I'm asking how to go to the next step and actually extract files from that file system.
>>
>>46777335
idk if you're using linux to check the drives but you should. It's much easier as windows refuses to acknowledge any file-system except for like fat ntfs vfat or whatever else microshit fs they make.

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/53542/how-to-determine-the-filesystem-of-an-unmounted-device
^ that link should help you out but most likely the DVR will be EXT or Fat.
>>
>>46777335
and after you've mounted the drive in linux just copy the videos to a usb.

OR after you determine the FS you can just download some 3rd party Windows program for the FS like ext2fsd
>>
>>46777371

I dual-boot Ubuntu/Windows, so checking out the drive in Linux was the first thing I tried. Admittedly, I didn't use the methods listed in your link; I just fired up Gparted and checked the drive that way. Gparted couldn't detect a file system of any kind.
>>
>>46777413
hmm well idk then. I dont know much about data recovery but maybe a program designed to get files off of a dead/dying hard drive would be a good next step
>>
>>46777462

Yeah, I'll probably be looking into that next, and if that doesn't work, hex editors to manually look at the drive information. Unfortunately, hex editing is well over my head.
>>
I would start by finding out the codecs used in the hardware then looking for file header info and other metadata related to those codecs. Looks like MPEG so I would start looking for MPEG file identifiers and trying to find offsets. Maybe you could use IDA on TwinRip and try to find the filesystem functions to see what it knows about parsing the disk.
>>
>>46776954
You could use heuristics if you had an idea of what you were trying to recover.

Asides from that, you'd need to check for the usual shit that filesystems typically store.

Since more and more things are being encrypted, we'll be fucked in the coming decades in this respect.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.