[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alternatives to Dropbox

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: dropbox.jpg (28KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
dropbox.jpg
28KB, 350x350px
How do I replace Dropbox, /g/?
Yeah yeah, I know "no cloud provider is 100% secure". But Dropbox has fucking Condoleeza "warrantless wiretapping is great" Rice on their board of directors. There has to be a line somewhere.

Can /g/ recommend a good, easy to use backup/sync utility, that preferably works on Linux and OS X? I know alternatives like tarsnap and btsync exist but those seem like a ton of work to figure out and I just want an easy solution.
>>
Are you storing CP on the cloud or what

I honestly don't care condolezza rice is monitoring my book collection
>>
owncloud

digital ocean
>>
>>46775262
> "if you're not doing anything illegal than you have nothing to hide"

No, I'm not storing CP. And if I had really sensitive information, I wouldn't put it on any cloud service like that.

But Jesus Christ, I just don't want to support a company that gets into bed with people like that. There has got to be a better solution, based in Europe or something - right? Right?

I may have to occasionally take my clothes off for inspection but I'll be damned if they're going to take all my dignity and make me stay naked 24/7.
>>
>>46775281

Then make your own backups. You can't 100 percent trust anyone but yourself with data, right?
>>
>>46775281
You know how it is, trade some dignity for convenience
>>
OK just get a vps from vultr they have a one click application for owncloud with no setup needed its like 5 bucks a month for 150gb iirc
>>
>>46775299

I'm not talking about 100% trusting the provider, I'm talking about maybe trusting them 90% if I can.

Right now, that trust is at about 40% with Dropbox. There has to be a better solution.
>>
>>46775245
I wish i had time to do this, but someone should write a client that syncs and encrypts files before uploading them to googledrive and dropbox. It solves all our privacy issues with cloud storage.
>>
>>46775330
AFAIK this is what TrueCrypt was. But that's outdated, can /g/ recommend alternatives?
>>
>>46775344
>truecrypt
you probably can install openssl or gpg with Cygwin on windows and encrypt files with them
>>
>>46775330
It MIGHT not be what you want, but it's the same idea. And by someone you can more or less trust and if you don't it doesn't matter because your client encrypts it itself.

https://mega.co.nz/#info

Google MEGA and it's the first link if the above doesn't work for you.
>>
>>46775399
You can't trust anyone, they could store the encryption keys on their servers.
You also don't know what kind on encryption they use.
>>
>>46775245
You use your own home server. Don't even need to use FTP, Apache without an index.html will automatically turn into a file repository.
>>
>>46775281
>I may have to occasionally take my clothes off for inspection

How the hell can you possibly see that as normal and OK
>>
>>46775330
>someone should write a client that syncs and encrypts files before uploading them to googledrive and dropbox
Just use your dropbox dir as an EncFS source
>>
>>46775481
would i be able to get individual files when i'm logged in from other devices? or it will show up as one huge file?
>>
owncloud, on a vps
>>
What about rsync?
>>
>>46775245
Anything short of hosting your own server is pointless.
>>
>>46775526
Look up how EncFS works
>>
>>46775469
>he was absent on penis-inspection day
>>
How long will this cloud meme go on?
Get an external hard drive you fucking retard.
>>
>>46775245
spideroak
>>
>>46775877
>Not realizing the power of the cloud.

ahahaha FAGGOT
>>
>>46775742
nice try NSA

https://defuse.ca/audits/encfs.htm
> This audit finds that EncFS is not up to speed with modern
> cryptography practices. Several previously known vulnerabilities have
> been reported [1, 2], which have not been completely fixed. New issues
> were also discovered during the audit.
>>
>>46775324

>Right now, that trust is at about 40% with Dropbox.

Sounds like you trust them a little too much.
>>
>>46776188

>Being this much of a tryhard, trendy, gullible, naiive hipster, and ignorant pleb

ahahaha FAGGOT
>>
>>46776188

You're so pathetic I even puked a little.
>>
tresorit
spideroak

I use tresorit... what sucks is now the free accounts can only be accessed on 3 devices

I use my desktop, laptop, and tablet. So I'm good, but for others with more than 3 devices its a limitation.

Good news is that they just added web login so you can bypass the software installation limitation
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.