[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Galaxy S6 to be unveiled in less than a week >front facing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 7

File: P3290028.jpg (105KB, 600x391px) Image search: [Google]
P3290028.jpg
105KB, 600x391px
>Galaxy S6 to be unveiled in less than a week
>front facing speakers rumored
>rumored to be metal this time around
>scores by far the most on Antutu than any phone, ever

Why aren't you hyped for the phone of the year?

Too bad I'll probably not end up getting it because no custom roms.
>>
fuck off samshill
>>
>>46702491

>still has touchjizz
>>
>>46702875
It's so easy to disable in S5, and I can see ROMs for the S6 within months of launch, seeing its incoming popularity

I sti don't get why people here shit on the previous best high-end flagship phone (S5) and will shit on the greatest phone of all time (6)
>>
>>46702919
>people on /g/ hate something mainstream while praising the underdog
shocking
>>
>>46702919

>previous best high-end flagship phone (S5)

you mixed up the 5 and S

>and will shit on the greatest phone of all time (6)

i'm glad you recognise the iphone 6 as being the greatest phone of all time
>>
File: table_0001.jpg (110KB, 640x866px) Image search: [Google]
table_0001.jpg
110KB, 640x866px
I'm not hyped because I'm waiting for the 4k Note 5 to break my mobile V card.

Yes 21 never owned a mobile I never wanted or needed one. I'm really only getting this because my first and only smart devicewhich I was given as a gift a Asus Memopad HD7 is starting to show it's age when it comes to the RAM.

What is really the difference between the S series and Note series. Is it pretty much that if you want a bigger screen go for the Note.

I don't really see the point in the S series from last I checked it cost the same as the Note but the specs are only slightly better than the Note that came out 6 months ago and shit compared to the one that will come out. IE 1440p vs 2160p
>>
File: pcmark-power_575px.png (13KB, 650x301px) Image search: [Google]
pcmark-power_575px.png
13KB, 650x301px
It'll be interesting to see how energy efficient the 14nm Exynos chip is. I can't get hyped about a device unless it has a removable battery however.

2016 needs to get here so we can have second gen 14nm A72 based chips flood the market. An ODROID powered by one of those would be fucking insane.
>>
>>46702919
The S5 was an outdated on arrival piece of ugly shit. The design was just plain backwards. The S6 really seems something worth waiting for.

>>46702956
How's that multitasking working out for you?
>>
>>46703004
I'm eager to see as well. Seeing it scored over 60k on Antutu I want to know how hot it runs. I'm guessing the battery isn't removable this time around but that isn't a dealbreaker for me. I hope it's at least easily serviceable.
>>
>>46703038
Mention one single "outdated" feature that is not something literally useless like the exterior is. Literally any phone is useless on that respect with any case at all.
>>
>metal

Why? To appease the iPhone tards? Plastic is superior for phones.
>>
>>46702491
My budget ass Moto G has stereo frontfacing speakers. Why would anyone get hyped for the same thing on a flagship phone?
>>
>>46702975
Notes are the plus size versions of the current S flagship. It's released later so it could have newer tech, and it's bigger so they can fit more specs into it. The bigger screen size is a given. Good choice, the Note 5 most likely hold the title of best phablet for a very long time.
>>
>>46703109
I meant that when the S5 came out it wasn't the best specced phone on the market, which isn't what Samsung usually does with its flagship. And it was ugly.
>>
>>46702491
OP you forgot
>new Touchwiz runs almost equally as fast as AOSP
Too bad TW is still ugly as fuck
>>
>>46703162
Thing is, for its price range, it still is the best specc'd phone right now.

Any other with same specs is at least $100 above, and none within the price range and specs has waterproofing, which is actually useful, unlike cosmetic design, which is completely irrelevant with any case on any phone. Not to mention the best screen of all phones.
>>
>>46703230
Well I guess you're right. I'd probably put it in a case so aesthetics wouldn't be that much of a minus.
>>
>samshit
Trick me once, etc etc
Never again
>>
>>46703670
How were you tricked?

Were you expecting shit and got something useful instead?
>>
I have an S5 on an Edge plan and it'll be paid off in a month. Had been planning on going to a W10 flagship but if the S6 ends up being great then I may go for it.
>>
>>46703131
Yeah. Unless I drop it I imagine I could even get several years out of it. I would think 4GB of RAM will be enough for a while right? the CPU will be more than enough I don't even play games on this or use any apps that are CPU intensive. The storage should be enough until 4k pirating becomes mainstream and even then I could think about multiple SD cards. The screen is AMOLED God tire screen which I imagine won't be outshined for a while. And 4k resolution, sure some 5k screens may come out but at this point going higher than 4k gives significant diminishing returns so unless it's 8k I don't see myself purposely upgrading just for that, and even then it would be unlikely just to be for that reason.

The camera is more than enough I'm not a fucking photographer.

The only thing likely to make me upgrade before the RAM makes it unusable is real innovation like a folding tablet/phone like the one Samsung showed in a fake trailer.

So. They modified the software of the Note 4 to work as a VR headset and from what little I have heard it isn't bad. I'm betting they are going to design the Note 5 for it this time. Who can't wait to use a 4k AMOLED VR headset? Ideally I would still want it to be serious, something that can be hooked up to a PC and that runs as well as oculus. Obviously for now 90 fps 4k is out of the question at ultra but when the 390x and later generation cards come out it will be feasible to play it at that or with some settings down, Leaked benchmarks put it at being 40% more powerful than the 980 which is hardly surprising considering the 290 and 290x perform as well as the 970 and 980 after the latest driver updates.

On the most demanding games two 980s in SLI should get about 50 to 55 fps in most games at 4k so the 390x should get at least 70, possibly more because AMD is better at 4k and all the benchmarks I have seen are in 1440p.
>>
>>46702491
Samsung planned obsolescence continues.
>>
>>46703004

But Anon it isn't even 14nm.

It's 20mn with FinFET

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8981/samsung-announces-14nm-finfet-for-exynos-7
>>
>shitsung profits falling off a cliff
>combination of Apple and Chinese companies are destroying them
>still load their phones with useless and half-thought gimmicks
>useful features they do copy, like fingerprint scanner, are terrible proving samsung lacks the engineering and design talent
>phones come with touchjizz and duplicate s-brand apps when Google already provides better apps
>now microshit are going to preinstall their apps on the phones

Holy shit I've never seen a company go down the shitter so quickly
>>
File: ௵.jpg (21KB, 372x260px) Image search: [Google]
௵.jpg
21KB, 372x260px
>>46702491
Not to derail the thread, but why isn't shit like this sold in a box like the NUC but far cheaper?
It's fast enough to meet the computing needs of like 90% of people.
>>
>>46703230
>forgetting about Sony's Xperia Z range
>>
>>46703109

>Mention one single "outdated" feature

THE GODDAMN PHYSICAL HOME BUTTON

ANDROID IS NOT IPHONE

PHYSICAL HOME BUTTON IS UGLY AS FUCK
>>
File: 237DC84953A68D48062307.jpg (98KB, 800x598px) Image search: [Google]
237DC84953A68D48062307.jpg
98KB, 800x598px
>>46704608
Nope.
15% area scaling advantage over 20nm. Its not like TSMC's transitional 16nm FinFET node.
Familiarize yourself with ASML definitions.
>>
>>46704608
The reason why it's called 14nm is because FinFet has the practical effect of a second die shrink. That's why everyone wants it and decided it was a good idea despite the fact that it's been a big expensive mess for everyone.

In any case, you find the gate pitch comparisons between Samsung's 14nm and Intel's. Intel has a decent advantage because their FF research is more mature but they're close enough to be considered in the same class (within 10nm IIRC)
>>
>>46704828
>implying a physical button isn't 1000000 times better than none, as ugly as it may be.

>>46704777
What does the Z have that the S5 don't? Besides the huge MP camera which is, quite honestly, useless at that resolution.
>>
>>46704854
>The reason why it's called 14nm is because FinFet has the practical effect of a second die shrink.

Its called a FinFET process, because it uses FinFETs. The gating surface area is a 3D raised structure rather than a planar one.
>>
>2015
>Still uses Samshit with TouchJizz
>>
>>46704658

Because you're all fucking traitors. Samsung was our best bet to fight back the Apple scourge, and you all turned your back on Samsung when everyone was happy with their Galaxy S3s and Note 2s, and left them for fucking shit like One M8/9 and chinkphones like Xioami and MemePlusOne.

You killed Samsung Mobile, and now look at what you've wrought. Apple selling 75 million phones in 3 months. You stupid fucks, well I hope you're happy that you picked your own little side, because now everyone will lose the high end phone market.

We'll get a bunch of shitty phones meant for starving Indians, and we'll deserve it for having abandoned our one true hope against Apple, Samsung. You stupid fucks, all of you /g/.
>>
>>46704867

How is a physical button better than none? I suppose it's better at taking up space, but functionally, not at all.
>>
>>46704895

No, it's because Samsung tried to become Apple.

They literally opened mini stores inside Best Buy just like Apple.

There are plenty of better OEMs.
>>
>>46704895
holy shit at being this much of a pleb and picking sides thinking this is some sort of battle

AUTISM
U
T
I
S
M
>>
>>46704918

> There are plenty of better OEMS

And all of them combined can't equal even a 1/10th of what Apple is. They'll all get squashed. And you'll all be sorry when no one else can afford the sort of shit iPhones will have in them.

Samsung had to take some cues from the Apple playbook because hey, it happens to work. But Samsung never lost its identity. Who else still offers you MicroSD slots and digitizer pens?
>>
>>46704960

>And all of them combined can't equal even a 1/10th of what Apple is

You mean in terms of revenue? Or do you mean profit? Or do you mean sales? I'm not sure what you're getting at, but just because Apple likes to hoard its money doesn't mean that they'll be able to put magic in their smartphones that other companies cant. Apple produces their shit in the same Chinese factories as every other OEM.

>Samsung had to take some cues from the Apple playbook because hey, it happens to work

So cues like offering the same thing every year with minor improvements, planned obsolescence, and making everything dumb for a dumb populace?

>MicroSD slots and digitizer pens

While I miss having a MicroSD slot, I don't really need it anymore. I certainly wouldn't use a digitizer pen either, because my phone isn't the size of a jumbotron at the local ballpark, unlike the Note.
>>
>>46704867
No touchjizz, nicer design, nicer UI, higher water resistance rating
>>
>>46705070
>>46705145
You can easily disable TouchJizz with ROMS

Design is useless with cases

UI is the same with ROMS

Unless you live in the jungle and/or are a lifesaver who somehow always forgets to leave his phone behind you will never need the higher water resistance.

And the Z3 costs $60 more than S5, will cost more with the price reduction due to the S6 coming in.
>>
>>46705145
You can easily disable TouchJizz with ROMS

Design is useless with cases

UI is the same with ROMS

Unless you live in the jungle and/or are a lifesaver who somehow always forgets to leave his phone behind you will never need the higher water resistance.

And the Z3 costs $60 more than S5, will cost more with the price reduction due to the S6 coming in.
>>
File: ng.gif (55KB, 346x224px) Image search: [Google]
ng.gif
55KB, 346x224px
>>46702491
>waiting around for shitty samsung goodies
>prease
>>
>>46705145
>>46705242
>>46705258
I forgot to add

>MUCH better battery life
>1 extra GB of RAM
>bigger screen
>>
>>46705377
Battery's your win, but I've had an iPhone for the longest time so I'm pretty used to charging it twice a day, galaxy once.

RAM is pretty useless for phones. Useful for phablets, though.

And screen is 5.1 vs 5.2 inches, but the S5's is the best screen of all current phones as rated by over 5 different sites.
>>
not interested in curved screen gimmick
>>
>>46702491
>Why aren't you hyped for the phone of the year?
Because I'm not a consumerist sheep always wanting the next big thing
>>
>>46704895
Samsung is trying to copy Apple in the Android atmosphere and not make it about owning an Android device but owning a Samsung device. I could go on about the stupid bullsiht they do (touchwiz, propietary driver blobs and unhelpful to open source community, locked bootloaders on carrier phones, etc.)...
They water down their devices in the states often with weaker hardware.

You also have the fact that /g/ is pro-openness (with the shit in Samsung ROMs, they aren't) and also usually very price conscious. You have the Motorola /g/ and OPO occupying nice value conscious spots, and then Samsung devices for far more. Samsung has done nothing substantial to buck the carrier system. Meanwhile, competitors are offering similar hardware for a substantially lower price

>>46705424
RAM matters for phones, at least to a degree. 1GB on the iPhone 5S is fucking horrible to multitask with. I would agree that the difference between 3GB and 4GB at this point in time on Android is really minimal or can be ignored.
>>
>>46702491
I'm told android will be butter smooth this time too!
>>
>>46704960
>And all of them combined can't equal even a 1/10th of what Apple is.
Why the fuck would I care about the market cap of a consumer electronics company I buy from, unless there was a sign they were absolutely financially unstable and wouldn't be around to support my device?

Apple making shitloads of money off their shit is irrelevant for me. I care about the best device for my needs and the value that device offers.
>>
Still wont be able to play gta san andreas without lagging
>>
>>46705541
If you compared 4.4 with ART to iOS 7/8, a lot of apps run slower on an iPhone vs. Android. At least on the 5S, because of the anemic amount of RAM it has.
>>
>>46703038
>How's that multitasking working out for you?
efficiently :^)
>>
>>46703109
>Mention one single "outdated" feature that is not something literally useless like the exterior is.
The fingerptint sensor.
Full scan or go home, no swiping nonsense.

That's like coming out with a resistive screen, while capacitive screens have been out for almost a year.
>>
>>46705530
What phones are you talking about with similar hardware and substantially lower cost?
>>
>>46705603
Apple literally bought the best fingerprint scanner company in the business, to the point where the Nexus 6 shipped without a scanner because all the alternatives sucked.
http://www.macrumors.com/2015/01/26/nexus-6-fingerprint-authentec/
>>
>>46705568
>If you compared 4.4 with ART to iOS 7/8, a lot of apps run slower on an iPhone vs. Android. At least on the 5S, because of the anemic amount of RAM it has.
You provably have no clue.

The RAM amount is the *last* thing to affect lagginess.
It's well known that low RAM cannot slow down iPhones, cause iOS doesn't use paging, for this exact reason.

An app will either run smooth, or crash, there's no half state.
>>
>>46705697
So?
More power to them.

Why didn't Samsung buy the second best?
Or develop the best one in house?

Or at least have the decency to not put a terrible half-baked feature in their phones, let alone advertise the shit out of it?
>>
>>46705708
>An app will either run smooth, or crash, there's no half state.
Now you're legit talking bullshit, at least in iOS.

I had a 4S with forced iOS 8 that ran almost every app slow as fuck. Virtually zero crashes, but every app, especially when typing, ran laggy as all fuck
>>
>>46705708
No, iOS unloads apps out of memory to keep everything going. Which means when I have more than 3 apps going, the older apps start getting unloaded. They remain in the tray for multitasking, but selecting them just shows the PNG snapshot iOS took when I switched out of the app.

Then the app is started fresh while the interface is entirely static for five seconds. If I'm lucky it'll return to the same state within the app, but usually it just goes to the home screen. Or in the case of safari, reload of the entire tab, losing all typed information.
>>
I'm more hyped for the Lenovo P70 max which has a fucking 5000mAh battery.
>>
>>46705750
That's the processor, not the ram.

iOS has no swap/paging, ram can't slow down anything at all.

When you hit the ram limit, the app crashes, it doesn't slow down.

I had a 4 with iOS7 and it was slow, but it was the processor and the GPU, not the ram, to blame.
>>
>>46705774
Enjoy your pre-loaded spyware
>>
>>46705758
That's a different thing.

It's what I was saying, when they hit the ram limit, the apps don't slow down, they quit/crash.
>>
>>46705819
No matter what phone you buy nowadays, you will get fucked by one country entirely.
>>
Got an iPhone 6 for free, can't sell it cause reasons, had to replace my Note 3 cause I need the cash.

Damn I miss it dearly, seeing it in the box while I try to sell it is making me suffer. Hold me /g/.
>>
>>46702491
>front facing speakers rumored
Should be standard.
Might be neat.
This happens at least twice a year, how is this news?
>>
>>46705826
What it effectively means for the end-user is that open apps don't slow down, but the aggressive memory management combined with anemic amount of RAM in Apple phones (1GB in the 5S, when Android phones at that time at similar prices were shipping with 3-4GB) leaves the user with a multitasking experience that leads to you "switching apps" and really loading the app from scratch, with lengthy wait times ensuing.
>>
>>46705877
I tried but I can't understand how you can use such big phones. I tried a Lumia 1520. I tried a OPO and those were just too big for me. I like to use the phone with one hand and that's why I still have my Moto X even though it gets slower with each passing day.
>>
>>46705933
I agree with you, but I'm in favour of the strict policing.

In practice, that rarely happens with apps.
It would take switching between like 3 heavy games for that to happen.

The usual switching that happens between browser/phone/(facebook/twatter) and other similar apps, almost never causes a reload.

A more probable scenario is Safari reloading heavy pages, when there are more than 3 of them, which isn't that unusual.
>>
>>46705978
The size gets to be an issue at times, specially when running, but all the other upsides of android over iOS, plus the shit only samsung and maybe htc bothers with, the IR blaster for instance, makes all the difference to me.
>>
>>46706011
I own an iPhone 5S as a work cell phone and a OnePlus as a personal cell phone and I don't game on my work cell phone, yet I get apps shifting in/out of memory. Safari is the worst offender, but really any browser since Apple doesn't permit alternate rendering engines.
>>
>>46702491
Because it's just a fucking phone you dumb piece of shit.
>>
>>46704895
Good, Android needs to die.
I want to see Windows 10 x86 on phones, and now that Samsung is now in better terms with Microsoft, and Samsung loves throwing shit on walls to see what sticks like Nokia did in the 2000s, I'm hoping Samsung will release an Ativ Note Phone.
>>
who gives a rats ass if apple is rolling in money

i love my M8, and im going to love my M9 even more. and if the M9 sales tank and HTC goes bankrupt, boo-fuggin-hoo. I'll find another phone to suit my needs. There are fuckloads of great androids to choose from

fucking retards and your apple hate. autism at its finest
>>
I had an s4 apart from the awesome screen, the phone was shit.

>crappy firmware with bloatware gimmicks that I ended up resenting like the smart scroll and multi window.
>constant hardware defects
>KNOX security stopping you from flashing firmware yourself.
> crappy plastic design
> insanely poor power management

I mean, why wouldn't I get an iPhone? or at least a Sony Xperia?
>>
>>46702491
Because it is going to cost stupid money like £600-700.
>>
>>46706559
Sony Xperia Z3 is probably the best smartphone you can buy today
>>
Fuck off Samsung. You've lost me forever due to KNOX.
>>
>>46706757
Yeah! How dare they get rid of Warranty cheats and thieves unlocking innocent people's phones.
>>
>>46702919
The S5 was shit compared to what lg and HTC released
>>
>>46707041
shill or delusional or troll or dumb
>>
>>46702491
Not hyped up because I don't enjoy android phones.
>>
As a really neutral fag with 0 loyalty to any jews, I never understood 2 features on phones that people descriminate.
Removable battery and Physical button
Why do you enjoy 10% of your screen wasted on buttons?
Why do you hate having an extra battery that is always juiced up when you need it?
>>
>>46702491
That's not the Note 5, anon.
>>
>>46707389
>Why do you hate having an extra battery that is always juiced up when you need it?
Because double batteries are here practically.

And I say this, while having relied on switchable batteries for laptops, when the battery life was ~2 hours, a fraction of what today's smartphones get.

First of all, a second, charged battery is not something you "just have with you", ready to swap.
It requires effort, time and planning.

Charging 2 batteries requires twice the time.
No, you can't charge them at the same time, since you have one phone and one charger.
You charge your phone, wait until it's done, swap the batteries, and charge again.

That's a solid 4 hours.
No, you can't do it at night, since it requires swapping the batteries at the middle of the procedure.
Unless you enjoy waking up in the middle of the night to swap them.

Also, a second battery, aside from the extra cost, is also extra bulk. You can't have it in your wallet, and in your pocket it will feel awkward, since you already have a rectangular thing, your phone, in it.

Everybody that I know, myself included, that has had 2 batteries, never used them in anything, apart from camping trips and such.
It's simply a pain in the ass.

And to think that people still sacrifice bulk, structural integrity and battery life to accommodate a mechanism for switching batteries, is insane.
>>
>>46707537
>Because double batteries are nightmare practically.
fix
>>
>>46707389
With the physical buttons gone, the screen can instead be made 10% larger and let the OS remove the software buttons when they're not needed, like when movie playback.

Replaceable battery always with no exceptions equal flimsier build quality because you need to have removable back. proof: entire samsung galaxy product line.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.