[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>uni course requires visual studio Anyone know if this is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 8

File: ohanareaction.png (778KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ohanareaction.png
778KB, 1280x720px
>uni course requires visual studio

Anyone know if this is going to be a hassle to run in wine?
>>
>>46684303
vm

now fuck off
>>
>>46684303
Dual boot. Wangblows should be free if you're at uni.

Alternively, libre office draw.
>>
>>46686002
>visual studio
>libre office draw???
y-you what mate?
tell me you're baiting
>>
>>46684303
Oh yes OP. You shoulda known uni will be all Win/OS X.
>>
>>46686002
>libre office draw

freetard pls
>>
>university programming class requiring a specific IDE
Huge red flag, OP. Must be some shitty community college thing.
>>
>>46686432
Better than Python :^)
>>
>>46686395

he should have known that they have some strange unique policy that doesn't exist anywhere else?

nigger please, you still be in high school if you aren't exclusively using unix in programming classes
>>
>>46686445
>VB or C#
>better than Python
kek

>MIT teaches Python
>your community college teaches C# .Net
>>
>>46686432
fucking this
Although I had some retarded lectures my self. Making us do HTML in notepad. No no, not notepad++, fucking windows notepad
>>
>>46686454
This
>>
>>46684303
stop being stubborn and run whatever you need
and now it seems like you need windows, so dual-boot/vm it.

your allergy on windows is almost as stupid as attempts to make linux gaming machine
[spoiler]or windows server[/spoiler]
>>
we still had pentium2s 3 years ago running in all the computer labs. webassign was mandatory for all courses.

>2012
>web-based course-ware mandatory
>pentium II

idk, OP, better check that priv, UID != 000 on every system...
>>
>13 replies
>0 answer the basic question "will VS work well in Wine?"
I don't know the answer either but lol
>>
who the fuck uses wine when a vm does the job better
>>
>>46686432
What's wrong with community college?
>>
>>46687623
/g/ intellectuals post-purchase-rationalizing their 100,000 dollar piece of paper from BumFuck U
>>
>>46686432

Yeah that's weird, professors always told us, that we could use whatever we want, as long as we deliver
>>
>>46686487
>MIT teaches it so it must be superior to everything
>>
>>46686395
>going to a shitty uni
My faculty's computers all have dual boot W7/Arch and you're free to use whatever you want. Though visual itself is a reason enough to use Windows.
>>
>>46684303
She's twice the slut Saten is. The flowers know.
>>
>>46686487

>MIT never makes mistakes.

The people who worked there in the golden age of computing definitely don't work there today.

There's new blood teaching there.
Stupid new blood.
>>
>>46686432
I'm sure things will be different in industry and your boss will let you use whatever special-snowflake dev environment and libraries you like, right?

Or better yet. You're too good to beg, so you will make demands for accommodations in interviews. There's only hundreds of thousands of prospects with far more experience and technical expertise competing for the same positions who aren't going to think about starting petty bullshit arguments over IDEs or whatever.

Also, arrogance and intractable views on minutia are two highly desirable traits that every developer expects from their coworkers. A nontrivial part of the job is getting a bunch of people in the same room from different teams and possibly different orgs with different overall goals and different visions to agree on things, and that's hard enough, but I'm sure they'll be willing to hear out your brilliant reasoning and bow down to your ironclad logic.

... is ANYONE on this fucking board working in industry?
>>
>>46684303
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=892

prolly not
>>
>>46687837
>your boss will let you use whatever special-snowflake dev environment and libraries you like, right?
yes? except when I had to use a proprietary language, otherwise in my experience people have been free (within reason) to work with whatever tools they wished
>>
>>46686432
While I agree centering your abilities around the niches of any one IDE are bad, Visual Studio is a fantastic IDE and there's no reason not to use it for .NET-centered projects or C/C++. It even has some good plugins for CPython/ IronPython.

You're not impressing anyone with your codeBlocks/ Sublime skills, wizardo.
>>
>>46687900
Good luck working properly with TFS, god knows Eclipse sucks at it and SVN is fucking broken.
>>
>>46687837
Be honest, how much do you hate your current job? Does your boss pick out your clothes for you too?
>>
>>46686496
highschool forced me to create websites using dreamweaver visual view, i got told off for editing the site using the code view.
>>
>>46687623
Your quality of education is likely to be lower than if you paid for some nice university, and you won't as many easy opportunities. But that's it really.
>>
>>46688091
I thought community college in the states was used as a step up to actual college if you fucked up at high school?
>>
>>46688038
>high school
a lot of retarded shit happens in high school

my high school forced me to write pascal code in some ancient console-based environment under Windows, even though there were way more usable alternatives at the time
fucking environment had a 30% chance of crashing when compiling code and unless you saved prior, you were fucked
>>
>>46684303

People on here constantly say that Linux is so much better for coding. What does Linux do better there than Windows?
>>
>>46688109
It can be, but it can also be a cheap alternative. You can actually major at community colleges.
>>
>>46688143
I think it integrates better with command line stuff
>>
>>46684303
>in wine
give up now, just dualboot
>>
>>46688143
There is less good software for linux so in comparison, your code doesn't look as bad.
>>
>>46688038
>>46688134
My highschool told me to make table-based layouts and use framesets.
>>
Software jobs are usually all about making things happen within constraints. Time and budget are usually the two big constraints, but technical constraints are almost always a part of it as well. Usually, the higher-paying jobs have less well-defined problems and more / tighter constraints to deal with. And most companies don't put a priority on elegant, beautiful code with absolutely everything working exactly how it was intended with every other system - they care mostly about being able to deliver results to customers and driving the business forward.

Any good programmer should be able to work within whatever constraints exist, putting aside personal feelings or attitudes about it, recalling but not dwelling on past experiences. A great programmer should be able to identify ways to improve existing systems or workflows and accommodate any anticipated future growth / direction changes, as well as provide migration paths and scope estimates. An excellent programmer can actually influence the business to take these steps by providing financial / customer impact justification, and then drive it home / own it end-to-end.

Because any trained robot can write code. Coding is pretty easy honestly. Most SDEs are hired to solve problems, and the solutions to those problems need to take all technical and business needs into consideration.

Short version, you're a moron pushing back on your professor over something this simple, because it's only going to get worse.
>>
File: youre[1].jpg (23KB, 552x369px) Image search: [Google]
youre[1].jpg
23KB, 552x369px
>>46688091

>Your
>>
>>46688143
Because some people learned how to do thing on one OS and are incapable of further learning.
>>
>>46684303
Your all's highschool must have sucked. We were allowed to use whatever the fuck we wanted to code in as long as the end result was correct.
Fucking stupid ass teachers y'all got.
>>
>>46686395
False. Freshman here, in one of my classes they've stressed the importance of familiarizing yourself with the terminal and using an editor like vim. The lab machines are all running Ubuntu as well.
>>
>>46684322
>>
>>46688143
Because if you can make it in Linux you can make it anywhere.
>>
>>46689502
Some of my college lecturers would emphasize the importance of knowing how to use vi, because it's often the only available text editor on Linux servers and the like.

One of them would also get really upset if he saw someone using nano to edit stuff.
>>
>>46688550
Oh what a cute little retard
>>
>>46684303

I had to install the 2013 version now i can not uninstall it completely at all.
>>
>>46687708
>Arch
lol what
>>
Just use MonoDevelop, you dingus. It's basically Visual Studio for Linux/Mac. I hope the classes you need VS for are C# or F#, though.
>>
>>46684303
>uni
oh please, we all know its a community college
>>
>>46692355
Navy recruiters at my school were running arch also.
>>
>>46688143
It's unix, so just google why programmers like unix.
Libraries are a package manager command away.
All the unix tools work better, and ootb.
Valgrind.

Windows is really only usable for .net languages, C++, and Java.
>>
>>46688452
>>46687837
I work in the industry and they don't give a fuck as long as you deliver. I use gvim on Debian.
>>
>>46684303
go to a different school

I can tell you now that it's shit and all your classmate will be fucktarded and not know simple shit like version control.
>>
>>46687900
>>46687997
>>46692935
This.
You can typically do whatever the fuck you want, provided you can work with the team no problems.

Plus, good programmers can make plenty of demands, shitty programmers are a dime a dozen, but an interview is as much a chance for you to see where you'll be working, as it is for them to see if you're worth hiring.
If you have any self respect, choose somewhere you like.
>>
>>46686454
or a shitty state school like me.

holy fuck, kill me plz.

most of the profs are winfags too.

plz kill me.
>>
File: 1424393913373.jpg (78KB, 1070x848px) Image search: [Google]
1424393913373.jpg
78KB, 1070x848px
>>46686395
>program all my vb shit in mono
>program all my java in intellij
>not have to use windows in uni once
>>
Just don't use it, it'll still compile
>>
>>46693001
Although, VS compiler can be trash, especially if it's an older version....
Worst part is working with people using VS2010, and they can't use half the c++11 features.

>>46692989
Yea, if the code works, I doubt they'll care.
This is to help the people who can't code without the IDE hand holding, and standardizing it to avoid having to install every IDE from eclipse to vs to compile the projects that all rely on the IDE build system.
>>
>>46692799
but, anon, monodevelop doesn't have any of the ASP.NET development stuff to drag+drop together a website. (web forms designer)

It's missing a buttload of code generation stuff other than that too.
Unless I just missed it, and the broken as fuck wiki misled me.
>>
How the hell do you do assembly references outside of visual studio?

I want to compile something with System.Numerics but it needs that referenced from elsewhere,
>>
>>46692355
My university also uses arch. No idea why though.
>>
>>46684303
>Flowers in hair
>Not a happy person
>>
>>46693550
Isn't arch supposed to be used for distributed purposes like onto lab machines? It's a huge pain for one person to use it for them self but if you're managing 100 computers the benefits are there.
>>
>>46686432
I did perfectly fine with Vim+MinGW back when I took initial programming courses at my CC, don't know what you're talking about.
>>
File: 1424419384745.jpg (49KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1424419384745.jpg
49KB, 1280x720px
>tfw I've emailed those incompetent fuckwits at my CS department for my DreamSpark membership 3 times and they still wont reply to me

Am I expected to to buy VS Ultimate for the UML models or something?
>>
>>46686395
>Oh yes OP. You shoulda known uni will be all Win/OS X.
Nope. In my uni we're literally forced with Linux programming. We only use Linux until we graduate, we have machines running old Debian distro with 1gb ram and a core duo with even older debian VMs installed. At least we got android x86 VMs this year
>>
>>46688168
You can also take as a cheap general ed then transfer
>>
>>46687837
>I'm sure things will be different in industry and your boss will let you use whatever special-snowflake dev environment and libraries you like, right?
Dev environment, yes. Libraries, no.
>>
File: 1403355541184.png (69KB, 173x164px) Image search: [Google]
1403355541184.png
69KB, 173x164px
>going to uni for programing
>not knowing what a VM is.
>>
>>46688091
>quality of a product = how much you paid for it

You would expect a board full of freetards to know better

I better go buy a Vertu phone, and get a Buggati to get my groceries

Thanks for the enlightenment
>>
>>46684303
>tfw my Uni's babby's first IDE is PyCharm
Feels foss man. I'm pretty sure they use Eclipse for their Java courses too.
>>
>>46697791
I would just pirate it, I've been screwed over by a gold partner I was with, it's a fucking tease to have all that shit just sitting there knowing legally it should all be yours anyway.
>>
>>46684303
>confirmed for shit tier Uni
>>
>>46684303
>Wine
>not VirtualBox
>>
>>46687607
You wouldn't program on a platform through WINE anyway.
>>
>>46686432
No, it's a proper processor who uses automated tests in visual studio to mark assignments thing
>>
>there are people on /g/ who don't use the big 3 operating systems
you are terrible. get some VMs you dumb faggots
>>
File: 14230498654321.gif (83KB, 153x140px) Image search: [Google]
14230498654321.gif
83KB, 153x140px
>>46699039
>VirtualBox
>not vmware
>>
>>46699039
Every vm I've ever made in virtualbox has been laggy as hell.
>>
>>46684303
>Wahhh, muh hipster shit may cause issues
I bet you wear a scarf during summer, faggot
>>
>>46687837
Apparently not you
>>
>>46699734
>vmware
>not qemu + kvm
>>
>>46684303
> requires
wat?
If you need C or C++, use "CodeBlocks", or "NetBeans" (with Clang or GNU toolchain).
If you need C#, use "MonoDevelop".

If you have to develop WP apps or some other shit, I feel sorry for you.
>>
>>46684303
I hope so. Install a REAL OS, freetard.
>>
>>46684303
It won't run in Wine, make a dual boot or a virtual machine if you got shitloads of RAM and a good CPU.
>>
>>46684303
Dual boot and use it. More than likely you will not run into problems with gcc, but you will on VS's compiler. If it doesn't work on the compiler your instructor uses, he'll mark it off. I learned the hard way.
>>
File: 1423065214006.jpg (28KB, 369x355px) Image search: [Google]
1423065214006.jpg
28KB, 369x355px
>>46688109
In Wisconsin we don't really have community colleges. Unless your counting tech schools, the state education system has a number of two year schools that directly transfer to their four year schools.
>>
>>46689864
lol good one
>>
File: 8934n39th308.png (149KB, 1804x982px) Image search: [Google]
8934n39th308.png
149KB, 1804x982px
>>46684303
Depends on version.
Pic related, also wine-hq?
>>
>>46684303
Is it something like Visual Basic or could you do it with anything else?
>>
>>46701036
Windows 7 is fine with 2gb of ram.
XP is fine with 1GB.
VS2010 can do anything that 2013 can - it will run with minimal amount of rams.

Have no ram on Linux? Use compcache.
Seriously people, what the fuck.
>>
>>46684303
Just run in a VM. There's no way in hell you can get VS running nicely in WINE.
>>
>>46686487
>MIT_teaches_python
>>
>>46688091
In my experience you learn just as much because and the courses are 10000 easier. Also

>relying on school to learn instead of using it to merely get a degree

Nobody enrolls in college for purely educative purposes anymore unless they're rich.
>>
>>46693397
>asp web form design development

Good lord.
>>
>>46704080
School should be mostly about getting connections. The degree is just another resume liner that is part of the process, but making the connections should be your first concern and the majority of your time spent. Learning of course is nice and possibly necessary depending on how much you already do or don't know.
>>
>>46684303
McMaster Btech represent
>>
>>46693397
>>46704202
I have to take this stupid shit too. I already took an entire course on C#, passed it flying colors, only showed up for the exam and project.

Now I have to take the C# + ASP.NET equivalent. C# is fine, I am not liking ASP.NET though. Really wish I could have skipped the first portion of the class. Even better, since most of my class did not take C#, they took VB, my prof has to teach them the basics of C#.

So essentially I'm paying for a class that is a reiteration of the class I just took with ASP.NET basics tacked on.

>talk to prof that I'm doing research project for
>mention that I will need to wait a week to get the next portion of the program done because I have shit to do like the exam tomorrow
>tells me not to worry about it because it's just basic shit
>wish I had the balls to ask him if he could get me exempt from that exam so I could work on his junk and my other class's project

Wish he taught more courses, he's great and actually knows his material.
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.