[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/, So I've been using Ubuntu 14.04 as my main OS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: logo-ubuntu_st_no®-orange-hex.jpg (119KB, 649x538px) Image search: [Google]
logo-ubuntu_st_no®-orange-hex.jpg
119KB, 649x538px
Hey /g/,

So I've been using Ubuntu 14.04 as my main OS for a while now considering it simplified my Android (native) development process and I noticed that it increases my production value as well considering I can't distract myself as easy with games as I could on Windows. I still do enjoy the occasional chinese cartoon, but this is less now as well.

So currently, Ubuntu is still installed as my secondary OS, and my SSD is completely overtaken by my Windows partition. I'm seriously considering completely dropping Windows and formatting the SSD, and flashing the current Ubuntu-image on it.

Remind me again, what programs that are Win-only will I miss?
>>
potatochop

gaymes

bout it
>>
>>46624877
even then wine does a good job of photoshop and some games + steam on linux
>>
>>46624877
Never use potatochop so that's ok and I can probably run a lightweight version in a Virtualbox-image.

>gaymes
Nah, not anymore I think. 25 years old now, Embedded Software Engineer/Consultant and there is a shitload of stuff to learn out there. I just want to make more money and buy a house and an Audi A5 right now.
>>
>>46624935
Well what exactly do you do?
>>
>>46624839
If you are on Linux, learn to use git on command line. It will really increase your productivity.

Do this little official Github command line tutorial: http://try.github.com/
>>
>>46624839

visual studio
gaymen

thats it.
>>
>>46624952
this

OP, you will miss this if you'll ever move back to Windows.
>>
>>46624952
Yeah, this is definitely on my TODO list. I've been struggling with both Giggle as Smartgit so I've noticed that needs improvement. Coincidentally I suggested a git-training at work yesterday considering I noticed some colleagues struggle with it as well (and even worse, considering they didn't even understand branching with SourceTree). I already miss Sourcetree though.

>>46624949
Android Development, which I use Android Studio for now. C(++) dev, which I use Vim for and watching Chinese cartoons with VLC.
>>
>>46625192
Then you lose nothing.
>>
>>46625192
Just do this tutorial, it's like 10 minutes. And you are wasting time here anyway.
>>
>not playing games on GNU/Linux

lel noobs
>>
>>46625244
Way ahead of you

>>46625208
Great news. Anyone by chance have experience with good cloning tools? I would really like to make an identical copy of my current Ubuntu-system and basically just "drop" it on my SSD (holding into account that the SSD is only 250 GB as opposed to the current 500 GB partition)?
>>
>>46625416
What's the point of that? Just copy a list of installed packages and your /home.
>>
>tfw AMD will never have decent drivers on GNU/Linux
>>
>>46625510
Well, I have several Android Source repo's on my partition (each one is > 50GB) and within them, I have tons of symbolic links to other working repositories which I use to flash custom ROM's. I'm just afraid that if I port it to the SSD, the symbolic links might get screwed up and that I'll be left with a shitton of compilation errors and fixing to do.
>>
>>46625416
You can use a gparted boot disc to easily resize and copy partitions around.
>>
>>46625551
>nor Windows.
>>
>>46625619
Symbolic link content NEVER CHANGES. It doesn't matter if it's absolute or relative. This is not windows.
>>
>>46625640
This is what I do.
Or get a Linux mint livecd; it has gparted on it.
>>
Don't be a /g/oblin. Use elementaryOS

It's Ubuntu LTS except it has a custom DE. It's thinner but 100% compatable and sexier.
>>
>>46625697
>elementaryOS
u wot?

op use mint you fag
>>
>>46625697
No thanks, if I really wanted/needed the minimalist approach I'd go for Manjaro.

>>46625732
Mint seems cool, but I don't see the big advantage over Ubuntu.
>>
>>46625697
>elementaryO's shilling

gtfo wannabe macfag
>>
>>46625861
>I don't see the big advantage over Ubuntu.

there are three:
>no amazon ads
>no shitty design decisions
>no unity
>>
Xubuntu > Lubuntu > Gnome Ubuntu > Ubuntu MATE > Ubuntu Cinnamon > Ubuntu > Kubuntu
>>
>>46625954
uracunto >>>>
>>
File: 4548.jpg (58KB, 800x521px)
4548.jpg
58KB, 800x521px
>>46624839
ubuntu is a solid distro, and even though unity has some drawbacks, it's a proper DE that is only getting better with each release. plus, spaceman-billionaire-hero mark shuttleworth is behind it (pic related). you won't miss windows. don't let idiots convince you otherwise.
>>
>>46625933
>no jews
>>
>>46624877
This.
>>
>>46625933
>no amazon ads
fixubuntu.com
>no shitty design decisions
>no unity
subjective

I'd go with Ubuntu, it has the most support and available packages and ppas.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.