[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't you use debian /g/? >just as easy as ubuntu,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 8

File: debian.jpg (41KB, 1024x768px)
debian.jpg
41KB, 1024x768px
Why don't you use debian /g/?

>just as easy as ubuntu, mint, xubuntu, etc w/o the bloat
>>
>>46615774
Installed Debian a year ago. Wi-Fi card didn't work.
Searched for drivers, couldn't find. Got Mint, it wi-fi worked.
Any other questions ?
>>
use it for work. easy and fast
>>
It's slow, ancient and terrible and Fedora does what Debian does but better.
>>
>>46615785
How big is your neck beard you scrub.

>>46615774
Debian is brilliant and with a few tweaks to gnome 3 it is as productive as i want it to be.
>>
I use it for my servers, because uptime.
I just don't like the feel of it when I try to use it on my desktop.
>>
By the time a new stable version comes out, all the software is deprecated.
>>
>>46615785
>works on mint
>doesn't on debian
>>
>>46615785
Full retard
>>
>>46615774
I installed Gentoo :^)
>>
Running debian unstable minimal install with i3 feels like the best OS ever.
>>
I use debian because I can use the same OS on laptops, desktops, servers, VMs, and other stuff.

>>46615785
>apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
>>
Because Ubuntu is basically debian with newer packages and needed drivers out of the box
>>
I use #!

Debian mint is also something to consider.
>>
>>46616443
I just switched from openbox to i3, then had to use win7 for a while. Felt dirty and crippled. i3 is seriously useful.

But yeah, Debian is great. Once installed and stuff, haven't had a serious problem in almost a year. Still consider myself ignorant when it comes to computers, Debian isn't that difficult.
>>
>>46616641
>#!
Enjoy your kill software.
>>
>>46616583
I tried reviving an old computer with Mint and it didn't feel right so should I try installing Arch, Fedora or your "based" Debian. I don't want to deal with the spying of Ubuntu and I'm still new to Linoox.
>>
>>46615774
because I use Arch Linux
>>
because it's the most widely used version of linux. When companies offer a 'linux version' of something typically it's either Ubuntu or just the raw source.
Everyone in the linux community should just standardize around ubuntu already - all this duplication of effort is dumb - you can run different DEs on ubuntu - so what's the problem?
>>
>>46615774
it's not 'as easy as ubuntu'. You need to enable non-free packages (ie wlan firmwares), and actually not having shitload of useless crap by default is 'harder' too. Plus some packages aren't in repo and you need to compile them by yourself (wine).

I'm using debian though. For me, there aren't any difference between any debian-based distro, they're all same.
>>
>>46616750
>you need to compile them by yourself (wine)
what are you talking about?
Either you compile software or you run software with wine. There are situation where you can do both, but I don't think you are talking about this.
Or in other words: Why do you need to compile windows-software and run it afterwards with wine (on debian)?
>>
>>46616641
#! is dead.
look out for #!++
>>
>>46616879
He's saying you have to compile WINE itself.
>>
>>46616728
>Everyone in the linux community should just standardize around ubuntu already - all this duplication of effort is dumb - you can run different DEs on ubuntu - so what's the problem?

Ubuntu isn't for enterprise, it's for desktops, phones etc. Debian is a stable base distro which is why it is used to develop other distros. Know and understand why this ecosystem works as it does.

Ubuntu is fine for normies and I use it for convenience, but if I were doing enterprise work it would be on Debian Stable or Red Hat/CentOS.

Ubuntu breaks shit and while desktop users can tolerate network management not working now and then (for example it barfed on my clean install after update, and I've been running Linux since 1999) enterprise can't have that shit.
>>
>>46615774
Because I hate the names; I can't stand Toy Story. Lame reason, I know, but still...
>>
>>46616923
Nope, Debian has wine (1.6 branch) and wine-development (1.7 branch) in its repos.
>>
>>46615774
no PPAs
>>
>>46615774
>Unity debian when.
>>
I use #! on my stinkpad. Does that count?
>>
>>46618059
Can't you install Unity on Debian already?
>>
I prefer xfce. After having used Xubuntu for some time, I switched to debian and installed task-xfce-desktop. It looks awful. I didn't know Xubuntu was doing so many good things.
>>
>>46618049
You can use PPAs with Debian..
But you could run in lib mismatches and confuse apt, so it's not officially supported nor advised.
Though I've used them few times without issues.
>>
>>46618203
Same position as you. The themes available by default on Debian are also mostly terrible.
Could add the shimmerproject quantal ppa. Satisfied my needs at least.
# add-apt-repository 'deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/shimmerproject/ppa/ubuntu quantal main'
# apt-get update
# apt-get install shimmer-themes-greybird
>>
>>46618203
Just install the greybird theme with xubuntu icons and it's the same thing.
>>
Debian mustard rice
>>
>not coding your own os
also checkem
>>
>using plebian

you know you can always install Hackintosh in your shitty computers, so you can use a real OS.
>>
Debian is actually a nice, clean distro. I used wheezy for a while and squeeze before that. After a while, though, having older versions of everything just got annoying. Quite often, newer versions of software have new features, and not just bug fixes.
I can totally understand the appeal of Debian though. It's stable. I've never really had stability issues with other distros either though. Except for buntu.
>>
>>46618525
A fork of the worst BSD with even more crap code thrown on top is a real OS? I would rather stick with my fake OS then.
>>
>>46615774
It is infected with the systemd virus.
>>
>>46615785
>using wifi
>ever
>>
>>46615774
>900 packages netinstall without a desktop enviroment
>w/o the bloat
>>
>implying I don't use Debian
>>
>>46620111
Most of those packages are libraries, but you knew that.
2/10 made me respond.
>>
>>46615774
I do, actually, and it's great. Jessie with XFCE on my netbook is just right. Everything works except for the SD card reader.
>>
>>46620931
>just 1 thing not working is a good result for shitnux users
topkek and you claim to be OCD ridden autistic perfectionists?
>>
the packages are outdated-
>>
>>46616685
>>46616895
It's not like #! just stopped working. Security updates come from Debian repos and it'll continue to get them for a year(ish) even after Jessie goes stable, which is still a few months out.

You can build a #! clone off a Jessie netinst base though, so if I were doing a fresh install, this is what I'd do:

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=38994&p=1
>>
Because I run slackware.
>>
>>46619750
What are laptops?
>>
File: tipsfedora.jpg (42KB, 479x720px)
tipsfedora.jpg
42KB, 479x720px
because I use Fedora for desktop and debian on servers
>>
File: 1423051889610.png (46KB, 351x277px)
1423051889610.png
46KB, 351x277px
>>46619750
confirmed basement dweller
>>
If I want a lightweight-yet-powerful distro I'll use Xubuntu or Linux Mint Xfce.
>>
>>46615774
>w/o the bloat
How did you decide that?
>>
>>46615774
>apt-get install xyzt
>2mb + 500mb of additional dependencies
>use the program for a while
>decide to remove it
>apt-get remove --purge xyzt
>removes 1 package (xyzt) leaving the other 500mb worth of dependencies
>apt-get autoremove --purge
>"0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove"

>install Arch
>not have this problem
>>
File: muh new desktop.png (180KB, 1024x768px)
muh new desktop.png
180KB, 1024x768px
>Debian
>not bloated

LEL
>>
>>46622974
Even as a Debian user, I agree. Meta-packages are a fucking pain to remove.
>>
I do. Not really graphical-friendly though.
>>
>>46623298
Debian noob here.

How should we keep the system clean of unnecessary dependencies on Debian?
>>
>>46622974
Don't install KDE programs if you use Gnome I guess
>>
>>46623526
Usually ? apt-get autoremove.
For metapackages (like a DE) you apt-get install a single package that brings others with him (xfce-desktop brings thunar, quodlibet and all), and then you have to remove the main packages (thunar, quodlibet) manually, their dependencies will be removed as well, but to go through each main package is tedious.
>>
File: 1422677639962.png (280KB, 499x499px)
1422677639962.png
280KB, 499x499px
But I use Fedora :^)
>>
>>46620931
Install the linux-firmware package, that madre my reader work
>>
>>46623723
I'll try that. Thanks.
>>
Because I use Arch now. But yeah. debian netinstall wasa good distro. Although the deoendancies and oldness got old to me.

It's hard to turn away from AUR once you use it.
>>
>>46615774
I mainly use OS X, although last night I set up an OpenBSD/OS X dual-boot on my PowerBook, and I'm probably going to be using that a lot on my laptop. I'm sticking with OS X on desktop though.
>>
>>46615774
Installed debian 4 years ago. Thought it was ok but switched to mint
Went back to debian website a few days ago
MUTHAFUCKIN U FUCKING WHAT?
It's still on the same version as when I left it.

I was thinking of phoning them up and saying "Ever so sorry to wake you guys the fuck up but you have been asleep for 4 fucking years now"
>>
>>46619653
:^)
>>
>>46619750
ironic shitposting is still shitposting
>>
debian has a totally different goal to ubuntu and mint,why are you comparing them?
>>
>>46619190
>>46624599
Install Debian-testing or Debian-unstable, idiots

Debian-stable is only for enterprises that need very high levels of reliability. The average user should be using Debian-testing because it has recent versions of most packages.
>>
>>46623628
And won't apt-get autoremove do just that as you described?
>>
>>46615785
Because the distro is FOSS. You can get the drivers on their homepage for the install already or via apt-get on ethernet after that
>>
Does it come with drivers for my GNU/Thinkpad by default?
>>
>>46625092
Ive been playing around with debian on the laptops we provide at work

None of the thinkpads touchpads work with debian -_-, wifi requires a special driver as well :C
>>
>>46625092
You can look that up on their page. The x220 comes with everything but wifi for example. The files are easily downloaded and tossed into the designated folder on your install medium.
>>
>>46625092
Yeah. T400 and T420 work perfect. Had to use non-free intel wifi drivers on the T400 though. It was simple as adding the non-free repos to sources.list and using an ethernet cable to install.
>>
Cuz anything is more out of the box than debian... Even using plan9 from 2002 i had less problema than using debian. Arch and Ubuntu(Xubuntu •> 1000x better than unity) do the job and bassicaly cover almost all kinds of users.
>>
>>46625169

I was actually thinking about out getting a T420 so this is perfect. What is the version that's best for desktop use, was it testing or unstable? Do Debian users miss out on anything because of the libre-kernel?
>>
>>46615774
i like lesbian more.
>>
>>46617045
Using Ubuntu since 2005 and NEVER and my installation never broke as /g/ always says.
>>
>>46616422
Everything werks on mint, that's why people use it.
>>
>>46616716

Lubuntu is the best distro for reviving old hardware, especially whenever it switches to lxqt.
>>
>>46615774
>Why don't you use debian /g/?
I get a better out-of-the-box experience with Ubuntu. Longer support cycles (on LTS). Better support for non-free software. 99% of articles about GNU/Linux are applicable to Ubuntu.
>>
>>46624137

What version of OS X do you run on that thing?
>>
I put debian on my server, but I regret it. No ethernet drivers (even though I have a standard supermicro board with intel nics) so I had to switch to unstable. Then I frequently find myself in dependency hell or with plain outdated packages.
>>
>>46625757
10.4.11 for now, when I get around to getting a DL-DVD I'm going to install 10.5.8 Server
>>
>>46625974
wat
literally never had problesm with debian & hardwired & servers
>>
>>46626096
That's what I had heard, which is why it was so surprising to me. This was with 1-1.5 year old hardware at the time too, and I'm sure the NICs have been around for longer.
>>
Xubuntu selects and pulls patches for XFCE from upstream dev channel and does stability testing on it. Debian just waits until the stable release. Which has been what for XFCE, 2 years? I suppose I could install debian, then add the Ubuntu repos for XFCE to get access to the packages I want but oh wait that's what Xubuntu is.

>>46618267
No, it's not. For example, compare the multi-monitor support on Debian XFCE, then try it on Xubuntu. One of them actually works.
>>
>>46626186
Yeah, that's bizarre, you are literally the first person I've ever heard having that problem. Who was the mobo manufacturer? Did they maybe accidentally use chinese knockoff NICs?
>>
>>46626272
>Who was the mobo manufacturer?
Supermicro, it was an X10-SAT.
>>
because I use openSUSE
>>
File: geeko_logo.gif (59KB, 629x312px)
geeko_logo.gif
59KB, 629x312px
>>46626358
this
>>
>>46626244
I also feel like desktop-oriented distros are way better than minimal distros, if you are going to use it for desktop OS anyway. So many under-the-hood -tweaks that normal people need to google otherwise. I want Linux to replace Windows on the casual desktop, which requires it to be polished and easy out of the box.
>>
>>46626186
weird
I even put pcie NICs in from intel and all work out of the box on debian
>>
File: fedora.webm (3MB, 500x281px)
fedora.webm
3MB, 500x281px
>Not going full Sysadmin with CentOS and RHEL

>>46626385
YaST is nice
>>
>>46615774
But I am, anon.
Posting from my Debian Jessie
>>
>>46626763
how u like dat systemd
>>
File: kind of want.gif (950KB, 500x211px)
kind of want.gif
950KB, 500x211px
>>46615774
I use Debian on my netbook, it's great, but I use ubuntu on my desktop because the bloat isn't really an issue. They're both great in their own roles.
>>
>>46619643
FreeBSD is the worst one?
>>
>>46626186
i had the same trouble with backtrack linux, built on debian on my desktop.
>>
>>46615796
This
Most people will ignore what you're saying but I wish I had listened to you earlier
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.