[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm installing arch linux alongside existing windows hope

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: arch.png (4KB, 202x52px) Image search: [Google]
arch.png
4KB, 202x52px
I'm installing arch linux alongside existing windows

hope this shit doesn't blow up in my face
>>
>>45763667
just make sure to backup anything important, because if you don't do everything right the first time there is a possibility you'll have problems. Follow the wiki and you should be fine, but backups should be regularly done to deal with user error anyway.
>>
File: 1243271414_black_guy_laughing.gif (2MB, 228x180px) Image search: [Google]
1243271414_black_guy_laughing.gif
2MB, 228x180px
>2015
>Arch Linux
>>
>>45763667
>arch linux
>hope this shit doesn't blow up in my face

HAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>45763667
Follow the wiki and you'll be fine.
>>
Cool
>>
>>45763753
this.

I first installed it on a vm then on my thinkpads, everything is good so far and I feel I learned a lot.
>>
File: 1415406315444.png (196KB, 406x375px) Image search: [Google]
1415406315444.png
196KB, 406x375px
>>45763691
It's 2014
>>
>>45763770
It's 1784
>>
File: 1417128693986.jpg (7KB, 219x200px) Image search: [Google]
1417128693986.jpg
7KB, 219x200px
>>45763743 has never used Arch, I guarantee it
>>
>>45763667
>I hope my own stupidity doesn't blow up in my face
>>
>>45763667
Read the wiki and follow the instructions EXACTLY. Only then you'll succeed.
>>
>>45763768
What did you learn? Anything remotely relevant to computing in general?
>>
>>45763805
at least relevant to linux and how it operates.
>>
>>45763823
Specific things? Name one task that you had to perform in the Arch install and how you would use it to achieve another thing.
>>
>>45763833
Not the guy that you're replying to, but stuff like configuring grub, the sudoers file, your DE/WM, etc. as well as what those things are if you didn't already know
>>
>>45763833
manual partitioning
manual network config
manual DE installation/config
etc.
>>
>>45763858
>>45763876
Basically tasks that have been automated since 1999 and have stayed that way for good reason?
>>
>>45763896
>for good reason
It's helpful for me because if it fucks up I can repair it. You might no see a reason for it and you're entitled to your opinion.
>>
>installing alongside windows
>not completely replacing windows
Pleb
>>
>>45763918
How would your network config or the installation of your DE fuck up for you to need to repair?
>>
>>45763942
it happens but since you're being a real fuckin cunt I'll just tell you to fuck off.
>>
>>45763962
Being a cunt? I am merely challenging the claims of Arch Linux having educational value.
>>
>>45763978
yes you are being a cunt, you obviously learn more about how linux work when you're actually building it rather than just having it gave away.
If you buy a bicycle, you'll have to go to the mechanic everytime you have a problem or want to change some parts.
When you build it yourself with the appropriate documentation you see how it works, you know how to make it faster, how to maintain it and how to resolve problems.
>>
>>45763932
It's arch, he doesn't have a choice. If only he had chosen gentoo...
>>
>>45764176
Then use LFS you fucking inbred.
>>
>>45763932
I'm planning on doing this, I don't need windows anymore but I've never had Linux.
>>45764204
Shit is this true? I can completely remove windows right?
>>
>>45764409
I have no idea what that guy meant, but of course you can completely remove windows.
>>
evolution installer. Use it.

http://www.evolutionlinux.com/ 
>>
>>45764438
For installing Arch? But I want to learn this stuff, I need to get used to it because I will be programming for the coming years.
Also, it's not that hard if you just follow the wiki right? What could go wrong?
>>
>>45764468
well. the outcome will be the same. i never learned much from normal install. gl though.
>>
>>45763667
Stop right now OP.

Download Oracle Virtualbox. It comes with an Archlinux option.
>>
>>45764409
You can, but arch is an inherently unstable piece of shit so you're better off keeping your windows partition.
>>
>>45764176
Someone's mad that no one likes his epic linnicks skillz
>>
>>45763667
enjoy your hipster botnet
>>
>>45764522
This
>>
>>45764909
Gentoo master race. No systemdick, no pulsebadaudio, final destination.
>>
I'm so tired of everybody acting like Arch is sum suber sekret defficult hecker gahnoo slesh leenux OS

Follow the fucking wiki to install and its easy, after that it's as easy to use as any other GNU/Linux distro
>>
>>45765002
This. Successfully installing Arch only proves you can successfully follow instructions directly from the wiki.
>>
>>45763667
Why don't you try to install a decent distro instead?
>>
Question: what makes Arch so popular among Linux users? What about it is so good compared to other distro's?
>>
>>45765857
Arch really isn't that popular, but it's pretty popular on /g/.

I dunno; for me, it's easily the best up-to-date rolling release distro there is. Despite what the memes tell you, it's quite stable (packages are in testing beforehand) and Arch only ships the latest stable. AUR is a really handle tool which makes things like keep up with the latest git versions trivially easy. For my desktop, I see absolutely no purpose in not having the latest software. It's what I want.
>>
>>45765920
Ok, good. I'm gonna try to get used to linux before my new school starts. I've never used it before, but the installation is the only part that's hard right? I only need to do programming, browse and watch some movies on it.
>>
>>45765955
The installation isn't hard at all. It's just arguably a small waste of time.
>>
>>45765978
But is it hard to use after that?
>>
installing arch isn't hard

if you think it is you'll have more trouble maintaining it than installing it

don't use installer scripts, if you really have to resort to such things, you're better off not using a rolling release distro at all

http://a.pomf.se/gyxbji.mkv
video of me lazily setting up a fresh shitposting vm
11 minutes with much of it waiting on packages to download
also have a 4 minute version which doesn't include setting up a user or any gui stuff
>>
>>45766333
Well it's bleeding edge meaning all packages are the most up to date release. This sounds good, but in reality new things can be fucking buggy. So whenever you need to update your install you might find a package updated and broke your install or part of it. Maybe you'll update and your sound will stop working. Then you'll have to figure out why and uninstall that part of the update. If you want to use Linux just install Mint with Cinnamon.
>>
>>45763896
I'm not them, but I installed it recently as my very first distro.

It was really nice to learn how to partition and make use of LVM if needed, etc

Also, most of the barebones configuration transfers over to other distros. It also just werks(tm).

I don't see why you're being such a little cunt about it.
>>
>>45766457
I still think I'll go with Arch, I only need to install a small amount of programs and get them to work, those programs are very popular btw.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.