[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>majoring in computer science >2.7 GPA in the first semester

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 17

File: ceFoNlD[1].png (151KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
ceFoNlD[1].png
151KB, 500x500px
>majoring in computer science
>2.7 GPA in the first semester

Should I even bother?
>>
GPA doesn't matter in the long run has long has you aren't retarded.
>>
If your self-confidence and problem-solving skills are so nonexistent that you're thinking of giving up after your first fucking semester, then yes.
>>
European master race here
what is this GPA you keep talking about?
Does it range from 0 to 4 with 4 being the best possible?

What is the average GPA and what's a bad one?
>>
>>45707312
LOL

GPA determines how good your first job is, and your first job's salary determines your second job's, etc.
>>
an hero
>>
>>45707328
3.5 is the minimum acceptable GPA. Below 3.0 is shit tier.
>>
GPA matters slightly for your first job, and maybe if you have a scholarship. As soon as you go from first real job to second real job not only does it not matter, they might think less of you if you consider it worth mentioning instead of something else on a resume.
>>
>>45707343
gpa matters less than "school prestige"
>>
>>45707353
I've seen people go on their period for going from 4.0 to 3.8 and claiming life is over, guessing it's just standards based.
>>
>>45707359
well, I'd say GPA is relative to school prestige. 3.0 at a top tier school might be comparable to a 4.0 at an average school, but anything below a 3.0 looks bad no matter how good your school is.
>>
you obviously didnt try all that hard.

I damn near failed out of college but realized that i was just being a punk bitch. Pulled straight A's after that.
>>
I wouldn't bother unless you can keep at least a 3.0. That's probably about the minimum most employers are looking for, and 3.5+ is going to be preferred in job postings.

<3.0 would only really be acceptable in my opinion if you're able to get a lot of internships, relevant work experience, relevant personal projects, etc. under your belt while in school. And still might be a bit hard with larger companies at least just to get past the resume filters and get to an interview with a sub-3.0 GPA, but if you can get that far interviewers will probably more sympathetic and understanding about a mediocre GPA if they see you've been working your ass off outside of school to gain relevant real world experience. Some employers may even prefer that to a student who focused more on theory and coursework.
>>
>>45707343
>and your first job's salary determines your second job's, etc.
Not really. Everyone caps at the same wage in 5 years unless you move to tech management or management, and even then the pay jump isn't that great compared to the extra responsibility.
>>
>>45707381
This is totally false. The only company in the bay area who even looks at your GPA is Google. Maybe some of the financial companies do as well, but only for top tier positions where you compete against PhDs.

No one gives a fuck what your GPA is if you're applying for a software engineer or SRE position. It's the lowest ranked signal on your resume. Here's the order of importance for getting a good job:

1. Experience. Former work is great, personal projects that make money are good, personal projects on Github that are complete are good, halted personal projects shouldn't be on your resume. Class projects are a no-no and send resumes straight to the trash unless:

2. Original research.

3. A good school name. Stanford, MIT, UC Berkeley, Caltech, etc.

4. Class list; shoeing you have grad-level machine learning knowledge is good.

5. Msc other factors like resume design

6. GPA
>>
>>45707450
Naw dawg. I had like a 2.5 before I dropped out of UC Berkeley, and I had interviews at LinkedIn, Microsoft, Airbnb, Facebook, and Palantir. I am now happily employed at a company with hard cider on tap.
>>
>>45707572

Why dropped out? What school did you graduate at then?
>>
>>45707528
Please don't give people false advice. You know for damn sure that most companies will check someones GPA and hire someone with a better GPA over another.
>>
>>45707312
>2.7 gpa
>first semester
OP seems pretty retarded to me, mate. You could literally sleep through all your classes and get a over a 3.5 your first semester
>>
File: 1418098651154.png (219KB, 854x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1418098651154.png
219KB, 854x1024px
>be on honor roll
>drop out of school

get on my level
>>
>>45707613
Have you ever browsed through resumes yourself? They're not very good for evaluating people. studies have shown that a good recruiter is right 52% of the time. So flipping a coin on who to interview is just as good.

Some people with 4.0s are perfectionists and are slow and worthless and the workplace. Some with 2.5s just didn't work well with schoolwork.

I browse through resumes at work and I don't even look at the GPA unless there's nothing else on the resume of note.
>>
>tfw ashkenazi jew and racially superior to everybody here
>tfw 4.0s without trying

feels good
>>
>>45707572

It's probably a totally different on the west coast in the computer science industry, but when I was applying for EE jobs (mostly in the midwest but also all around the country) almost literally every single job application listed 3.0 as the min and 3.5 preferred. Occasionally I saw a 2.75 min but never lower than that I don't think.

Not going to claim that GPA is the only thing companies look at for recent grads and that you can't still get a job with a low GPA, especially if you really blow them away in other areas. Just saying that's my experience with engineering jobs.
>>
>>45707667
Well yeah, I doubt you would have a gpa requirement for McDonalds, but I'm talking about actual jobs.
>>
>>45707450
I never understood America's obession with GPA.
According to this site I would have 2,22 GPA for my bachelor. I managed to get a 7 month thesis spot at one of the best labs at my university and I'm in the top 30%-40% of my class or something.

>>45707634
If what this anon says is true, US university/college seems 10 times easier than european ones
>>
>>45707572
>writes like a nigger
>expects me to believe he went to UC Berkeley

hahahahahahaha ok kid
>>
>>45707705

Do they not give out grades in colleges in Yurop?

Does everyone just get a gold star for trying or something?
>>
>>45707604
I dropped out of Cal (UC Berkeley) after 2.5 years because YOLO.

>>45707613
Sounds like you're pretty convinced that's the case but I agree with >>45707528 at least for Silicon valley & sf. Tell me about the job market you're in. What area? Are you talking about CS jobs or just employment in general?

In my experience (and from talking to hiring managers here) GPA is only q factor if you have ZERO or very little experience. Like, no projects, no internships, no relevant student jobs, no research, etc.

As soon as you have something to show for yourself GPA importance drops to 5%.
>>
>>45707343
No, your first job is determined by who you know. Connections > actual skill
>>
I have a 3.3 after my first semester of being pre-dental.
Should I even bother anymore?
>>
>>45707693
No, I'm talking about software development jobs. I can't find the article but basically they let professional recruiters and engineers review resumes and select who they would pick.

Then they compared that to who was actually performing in their company ( not sure how they measured that) and everyone was about 50% right on the resumes.

If you pick someone from somewhere prestigious like Oracle you might just be getting someone who was laid off.
>>
That feel when I have a 2,5 GPA in engineering.

You guys are depressing me.
>>
>>45707719
I dropped out so I don't have a credential to prove myself to you on the internet!!! Oh noooooooo!!!!!!
>>
>>45707761
a 2.5 in engineering is worth infinitely more than a political science degree
>>
>>45707734
What the fuck. I'll be graduating next year after 2.5 years at Berkeley. You just must be retarded.
>>
>>45707761
Don't worry. GPA isn't that important. All you need is a connection (I have quite a few thanks to my uncles and dad). Make sure your friendly to people, don't be a dick, and you'll be fine
>>
how much of a doofus do you need to be to get a 2.7 in first semester cosci?

I could understand if you like...didn't try AT ALL but damn nigga you fucked up
>>
>>45707755
This is correct. At least on the west coast we're concluded that hiring engineers based on any resume signal is a total crapshoot, and rely mostly on technical phone screens and on-site interviews to choose people.

If you have an eye-catching resume you'll get a TPS, and if you do well there by knowing your shit and being a nerd but not a sperglord you'll get an onsite.
>>
>>45707781

Yeah. And my school is considered a "hard" one. But I still don't get the feeling I am doing good.

>>45707796

For that I'm all right.

I'm trying to get an internship this summer. So far the people I spoke to seemed interested.
>>
>>45707300
How.

I'm taking first year computer science + all the first year business classes and I have a GPA of 3.74.

seriously this shit is too easy, calc is super fucking easy how are you this bad.
>>
>>45707300
YOUR BRAIN IS A MUSCLE OP. TRY HARDER.
>>
>>45707300
So you managed to get a shit grade in "Intro to babby's first hello world program?". Just quit while you're ahead.
>>
>>45707786
Nah I just hate school. Given any choice betweet (programming, studying) or (hanging out with friends, studying) I'll never choose studying. If that's your definition of retarded then a-ok. I'm happy being a retard in your book. I have more money now than I know what to do with
>>
>>45707353
Amerifag detected. GPA don't mean shit as long as you can brogram. Since 90% of compsci graduates can't program.
>>
>>45707886
that's called a lack of dedication and just being stupid in general
>"oh trust me if I spent all my time studying i'd get straight A's it's not like i'm dumb or anything I'm just happy with C's"
-what stupid people tell themselves
>>
Im planning to study Computer Science starting next year, does anyone have any tips or any excercises perhaps to get me started with some coding and things i need to do.
Also im graduating from IB with Maths, Environmental Sciences, Spanish as my SLs and English, Information Technology in a Global Society, Business as my Higher Levels. Do you guy think i should take another course before i go into Computer Science and what is the average overall score ill require to get in/do good during the course (not so good with GPAs but if you guys dont know IB scores then just tell me GPA please).
Thanks in advance guys
>>
>>45707827
>>45707847
>>45707450
>>45707879
and here we see the pleb level person attending a pleb level college where anyone can get a 4.0

Its because of schools like yours that the midwest has those silly GPA requirements.
>>
File: 1296923018064.jpg (29KB, 502x334px)
1296923018064.jpg
29KB, 502x334px
>2015
>thinking GPA makes a difference anywhere but internships

Oh fuck /g/ what the fuck are you doing?
>>
Depends how serious you are. Had a 2.8 after my first year in college, now have a 3.4.

You need to get out of self pity mode ASAP and look at what you did wrong this semester. Figure out whats holding you down, and make changes. For me it was that I could not get any work done at home, so I locked myself up at school for around 8 hours a day to get my shit done.
>>
>>45707925
or its called not being dumb and studying? not shit posting on /g/ in class?

seriously its not hard. most of the first year stuff is standardized so it doesn't mater which school you go to, its the same material and tests.
>>
>>45707723
It would seem that european universities are a bit harder:
Based on how much hours a credit signifies (1 credit = 28 hours), I calculated the normal study load is about 65 hours/week (classes, labs, tasks, studying).

Most professors use a grading scheme like this:
19-20/20 Knowledge goes further than what was seen in the course/has a perfect understanding of the material
17-18/20 Has an excellent understanding about everything in the course
15-16/20 Very good/Above average (knowledge of all the major points, but not every little detail)
13-14/20 Average
10-12/20 Passable not great
8-10/20 Technically a fail but can be deliberated
>>
>>45707925
>he does better than me that must mean he goes to a shit school
Or maybe I am more dedicated than you are?

fucking FIRST semester and you got a 2.7 at an americlap school c'mon. Intro to baby algorithms and intro to C programming were too tough for you? Sorry to hear that

I guess it's true what they say about CS majors; they really are too dumb for engineering math or other sciences
>EE/math double masterrace
>>
File: in_schools_f.jpg (576KB, 2139x2700px) Image search: [Google]
in_schools_f.jpg
576KB, 2139x2700px
Dumping this here if anyone is interested. Graphic shows where companies RECRUIT out of.
>>
>>45708043

And here is a graphic Google employees and what colleges they actually went to. Nothing about RECRUITING, just the actual make-up.

I believe Apple employs more people out of San Jose State and Santa Clara (local colleges in the valley) than Google does.
>>
>>45708043
what the fuck does IBM even do anyways other than patent trolling now?
>>
>>45708043

Microsoft has a pretty wide recruiting range
>>
>>45707673
>>>/gaschamber/
>>
File: 137593505136.jpg (14KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
137593505136.jpg
14KB, 240x320px
>>45708043
India
>>
>>45708056
It seems like undergrad prestige matters more than GPA.
>>
>>45707613
Not in canada ;)
>>
Low GPA doesn't matter if you have dope projects and internships, and can demonstrate your knowledge in an interview.
>>
>>45708075
Enterprise stuff, cloud services, things that you are unlikely to directly encounter as a consumer.
>>
>>45708080
Not really. It's basically all Washington schools (local) and Waterloo.

I think it's important to note that most of these companies recruit locally. If you're really, really good at your craft and can prove it, going to San Jose State is fine if you want to work for Apple.
>>
>>45708075
they got a windows source license so they find backdoors in windows for the US government
>>
>>45708043
My school feeds IBM, funny its not mentioned there.

either way lots of local tech companies will pick most grads up.
>>
>>45708075
Anime
>>
>>45708098

Possibly.. But look at how U of T Austin is below UC Davis. This is probably because Davis is closer to Mountain View, even though Austin has a better CS program.

Locality does matter some.
>>
>>45708110
If an employer sees a 2.5 GPA you can bet your ass they're gonna have some questions about it.

Below a 3 it looks like you have shit work ethic.
>>
>>45707300
fuck gpa, it means jack shit, just get your degree and get out
>>
Is it really that hard to get a first job related to CS in the US? I thought not many people studied that compared to other career choices. At least it is like that here.
>>
>>45708165
No it's not hard. CS is a major that seems to be growing, but not at the pace of demand. If you're competent out of college, you'll find a job.
>>
And how am I supposed to get internships or relevant work experience if I have a low GPA?
>>
>>45707343
>your first job's salary determines your second job's
Only if you openly tell them what you were making at your first job

>>45707489
Some people move into very senior dev positions, I know a guy making ~200k as a "senior dev". Doesn't have to manage shit.
>>
>>45708212
>parents
>friends
>interviewer
half the work in getting an internship is shmoozing your way into an interview.

gpa means fuck all if you have a good brain and good people skills.
>>
>>45707920
But it's true sometimes. If I study just the day before the exam for most subjects and get an average of ~7/10, why couldn't I get an average of 9/10 if I were actually dedicated?
>>
Guys please stop lying to this guy. GPA means everything for your first internship, which can lead to your first job.
>>
File: Y6SN6xf[1].jpg (872KB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
Y6SN6xf[1].jpg
872KB, 3072x2304px
>senior studying Accounting at a low-tier school
>2.4 GPA
>can't get a co-op job even at small firms

I already know I'm going to end up unemployed ;_;
>>
File: faggot.jpg (20KB, 367x451px) Image search: [Google]
faggot.jpg
20KB, 367x451px
>>45708307

Should have tried harder in school

Or did you really expect someone to just hand you a job after coasting through 4-5 years of school?
>>
>>45708278
This is really true. GPA won't matter much after college if you get a good internship, but it matters a hell of a lot for getting called back for interviews while you're still in school.

I went from 3.3 to something like 2.7 over the course of four years, so I feel very lucky to have a decent job right now.

No way to get into grad school with a shitty GPA, either.
>>
>>45708278
>tfw got job offer with literally 0 internships and jack shit for work experience
>>
>>45708307
>Accounting
Get your degree and then study your ass off and hope you can get your CPA.
>>
>>45708343

Don't think anyone's claiming it's impossible. Had a fairly mediocre GPA and basically no internships or work experience related to my major and still got a job after school. Had to search for a long ass time after graduating before landing my current job, though. And technically probably "underemployed," degree was in engineering but current job is blue collar/technician kind of thing, although I can't complain pay is decent enough especially with overtime and has some nice perks like company vehicle/gas card, etc.

In the end things worked out pretty well. But if I had to do it all over again I'd definitely focus more on academics in college and try to get internships or other relevant experience under my belt while in school.
>>
>>45708421
I literally lucked the fuck out, I won't pretend I'm amazing or anything like that.

A prof made our class go to a career fair on campus, literally the first place I talked to emailed me the next morning about an interview. After the interview they wanted references and then they offered me the job full time as soon as I graduate.
>>
>prestige

CC student here ready to transfer. I'll probably only get into UC Davis and I'm worried about employment after.. Davis really isn't known for its CS.

I have a 4.0 but literally the only reason I can't apply to UCLA is because they require a full year of Chemistry, full year of Physics, plus all the lower division programming courses. It's literally impossible to do unless you take 3 years of CC and theres no fucking reason on this gay earth that you should NEED a full year of TWO hard sciences for CS.
>>
>>45708120

I wonder why Waterloo ?
>>
>>45707860
do you have anything to back that up?
quality > quanity, when it comes to learning
>>
File: it never gets easier.jpg (153KB, 708x664px) Image search: [Google]
it never gets easier.jpg
153KB, 708x664px
>4.18 GPA in IT diploma/co-op program.
>Co-op semester starts in January.
>Still haven't found job despite grades.
>That bad feeling when assburgers preventing me from getting a job.
>Why do I even try?
>>
>>45708553
http://www.toyourhealth.com/mpacms/tyh/article.php?id=1885
>>
>>45708553
No idea what you're on about, but I'm telling OP to try harder. I remember my freshman year of college I was going hard just trying to learn pre-calculus, and by the end of the calculus series I was getting A+'s even though the work was 10x harder.

You should expect yourself to get better at school and learning, logic and reasoning, etc. if you keep pushing yourself. You won't be the same person your freshman year as to your senior year, so just because you're doing shit now doesn't mean you can't handle the harder upper division work later - push yourself until you can handle it.
>>
I have a 2.8, literally one of my classes related to CS.

I have three next year, should be easy As
>>
>tfw being garbage at calculus tanks GPA
3.18. At least I kept my scholarships.
>>
File: 1412484565146.jpg (18KB, 287x480px) Image search: [Google]
1412484565146.jpg
18KB, 287x480px
>mistakes you made as a lazy semi-educated teen set the tone for the rest of your life
>This largely unchangeable

Their must be some escape from this hell
>>
>>45707343
>people believe this
dear oh dear
>>
>>45708631
>Their must be some escape from this hell
>Their

Not if you keep making the same mistakes lel.
>>
>>45708598
>can't succeed in non-CS classes

fix your work ethic shithead
>>
>>45708595
>No idea what you're on about
If you can't learn something, you're usually just doing it wrong. You have to push yourself sometimes, sure, but you should also try learning the same stuff in different ways.
>>
>>45707343
virgin confirmed
>>
>>45708631
Don't worry, I was a total lazy fucktard until I woke up at the age of about 16. At the time I had huges loops in primary school stuff.
>>
>>45708631
pretty sure if you take a few semesters of any college credits (go to a CC and do gen-eds that have virtually no requirements of high school GPA), any university you apply to in the future will admit you based on your new college GPA rather than high school. hope this helps.
>>
>>45707946
Weird, Never seen this meme and I just watched this movie yesterday.
>>
>>45707673
no one can jew people like the jews I guess
>>
>>45708572
>4.18 GPA
>going to a school that pads your GPA
>>
>>45708845

At least it's not my school, where they do the opposite. Get a 95 in a course? Only a 3.75. Get an 85? 2.75, etc.

It's fucking bullshit.
>>
>>45708891
What? That's crazy.
>>
>>45708891
Dude, holy fucking shit. My school does that too. A good damn 84 is a 2.7. Are you fucking kidding me???

It fucked my gpa. I have no fucking clue why schools do this.(except to fuck kids out of scholarships). I could understand if every big institution did this but my college is the only one in the state that does.

I could understand it if an 80 was a 3.0, 85 is 3.5, etc. But not this backwards ass shit. It really hurts us stem majors who get fucked because professors don't give out high grades.

>Sincerely anon, with a busted GPA
>>
>>45707300
I want to kill you
>>
>>45707353
2.7 is good. Its almost 3 so it's good
>>
>>45708891
Wtf. I thought my school was retarded for having a 93+ being an 4.0 and a 90-93 being a 3.7. That's rough.
>>
Is my school the weird one for having A = 4.0, B = 3.0, etc.? It's up to individual professors to decide what constitutes each letter grade, but the majority just go with 90% and up is A, 80% - 90% is B, etc.
>>
>>45709003
That's normal. My college is just stupid for having A+, A, A-, B+, B, etc. It hurts people who have a 4.0 because if you go under 93 you're fucked. It helps people who get B's because they can get a 3.3 by having an 87.
>>
>>45709064

UCF?
>>
>>45709075
Nah I go to CC in California, but my GPA means everything to me for transferring + scholarships after. I'm hoping the universities factor this grading scale on my application.
>>
I'm from europe and I don't understand the thing with GPA. A friend of mine enrolled in university last term and studies what would probably be translated to CS and pretty much everyone in his courses is happy about a passing grade.
He himself just nuked a program design exam, despite having 6+ years of programming education with 1.0 average (which is basically the perfect grade) during his entire school career.
I never thought the grading at universities would be even designed to have a perfect grade. Maybe I'm just naive though.
>>
I know its been said a lot in this thread, but seriously GPA isnt all that and a bag of chips. Be smart, passionate and have personality and theyll want you over any with a great GPA that lacks in those other qualities
>>
>>45709127

It's because so much of the culture in the US is based around being better than your peers. Simply being content with passing is seen as a weakness and that you're willing to settle/lack ambition.
>>
This seems like an appropriate thread for a question.

Say I want to learn how to program and learn a computer language. What would be a good, accredited school to enroll in to learn? I just started teaching myself Java. In several years, assuming I decide to join this career track, I hope to get an internship at Jagex or something. Would be cool.
>>
>>45709211

Go to a CC, get an AA, then transfer to a state university.
>>
>>45709211
Also, what does a Computer Science degree encompass? What course should I be taking (Majoring in? I don't into college terms) to ensure I get a degree for programming? Would you recommend some kind of Networking course or some shit like that as a secondary course? I hear they're in high demand.
>>
>>45709154

Problem is sometimes even getting your foot in the door with a poor GPA. When employers receive hundreds of applications for a position, they're not always going to look through every application but instead filter by GPA and other criteria to get the list of applicants down to a more manageable number that they can scrutinize more closely.

Right or wrong, it is what it is. If you have a really poor GPA, your resume may not even get through HR and to the hiring manager who does the interviews.
>>
>>45709233
computer science is not programming

you might want to look into system development if you're really into coding, but you will forever be seen as a pleb
>>
as a non amerifat im intrigued about what is this you call gpa
>>
File: 1329656920729.png (10KB, 284x284px) Image search: [Google]
1329656920729.png
10KB, 284x284px
>>45707920
Lack of dedication for studying does not make someone stupid the way you think it does.

Memorizing a bunch of bullshit that even a monkey could do, and having commons sense are two different things.
Common sense is really rare amongst people nowadays. I know so many individuals, even people who have several diplomas that fail so hard even at the simplest "everyday problem solving".
>>
>>45709244
true, but applying via the traditional send a resume way is so outdated to me, and useless. I am in a position right now that I got technically by being buddy, buddy with my professor. He vouched for me/recommended me based on my knowledge/passion for my field even though my GPA is pretty meh. So, get to networking, its important
>>
>>45709297

>networking

Networking has become the newest career center buzzword and a nice way of saying - nepotism and friends get you jobs. It is basically a euphemism for nepotism/cronyism, ass kissing, and pulling strings.
>>
>>45709389

uhhh, yeah. You defined networking, congrats!
>>
>>45707300
Its a shit major anyway
Have fun being a code monkey if you're not capable enough
>>
>>45709723
>cs flunkie detected
>>
>>45709835
nope, I'm part of a lucky group that dodged this pitfall major
have fun being outsourced by an Indian sweatshop if you don't apply yourself and make sure you are at the top of a niche job skill
>>
File: 1417994711038.gif (95KB, 315x572px) Image search: [Google]
1417994711038.gif
95KB, 315x572px
>tfw i dropped out of college halfway through senior year because I was diagnosed with clinical depression and generalized anxiety disorder
>tfw faked having graduated because I got sent an alumni card and searching my name + my college gives favorable results
>tfw landed a solid job a year out from "gratuation" because I pulled my shit together and learned how to not be a nervous sack of shit in front of other people

It's been almost 10 years since then and there have been times where I honestly sweat buckets applying for a job where the company says they'll do a background check, but the times that I was turned no one ever explicitly said it was because I didn't have a degree.

Once you're out in the real world, unless you're in academia or you're going to law school, LITREALLY NO ONE cares where the fuck where you went to school or even if you graduated. You honestly just gotta fake it til you make it; everyone does it to different degrees, and it's heavily dependent on how good of a con man you are (to fool other people but also to fool yourself, to have the confidence).

I guess since I'm pushing 35 I might have a thing or two to offer the younger crowd, and this thread feels like a good place, so if you have a handful of questions, I'll try to answer them as best I can.
>>
>>45709389

and now you know how the world goes round.
>>
>>45707300
Are you taking nothing but computer classes your first semester? If so, it seriously might be a good idea to reconsider if it's all intro classes. Unless you have personal stuff in your life that is distracting you from getting work done, or if you are having massive problems adjusting to college life your grades really shouldn't be that low right off the bat.

Try and internalize why you think you are doing so badly. What is it that made you mess up? Are you just being a lazy fuck or did you not understand the material? If you didn't understand the material, why didn't you reach out to your professors or a tutor to help you out?

It's really important for you to think some of this stuff through. In the long run college degrees don't mean shit in the computer field unless you are doing specific shit like working for the government or with some crusty old company like an oil company who wants a PhD in Comp Sci to even be considered for basic work. Most everywhere else will judge you based on what you know, not on what grade you have or what degree you attained. Certs mean more then a degree does in CS and even then, certs are easy enough to get. If you know you know computers stop sweating your GPA and STOP FUCKING UP.
>>
>>45710034
Someone's going to find out someday and you'll be fucked.
>>
>>45710007

I have a job lined up at a sort of small local company that does business internationally and I'm nowhere near any top of a niche skill set.

You sound pretty bitter m8.
>>
>>45707300
Yes! I had a sub 3.0 during my first year and by the time I graduated I had a 3.5 and I felt seriously comfortable moving onto work.

You can do it anon : )
>>
>>45708043
>tfw all, despite having the best hacking team in the US (we've won awards multiple times) isn't on the list
>>
>>45707300
Okay, /g/. Help me.

I've gone through a whole year and a half of college and have yet to get an internship.

I'm fucked, aren't I?
>>
>>45708278
What? No. All you need is to know somebody. Sure, not everybody does, but if you do GPA doesn't matter
>>
>>45710128
Get more college?
>>
>>45710096
I'm just trying to forecast the future
If you don't take it seriously you're much less likely to be making money that was worth the investment into higher education
CS isn't like it used to be. In the younger days of the computer it was less abstract so a large specialized workforce was needed to maintain machines and they were getting paid well.
Nowadays, any monkey can pickup a kb and learn enough to be part of the cheap pool without needing to know the inner workings of the machine.

tl;dr abstraction is deteriorating the CS field
>>
computers are the future you fucking retard. if you were majoring in business it'd be a different story.
>>
>>45710128
You're a sophomore and you're worried?

Worry when you're a junior/senior.

Also, how are you trying to get these internships?
>>
>nearly finished BSc in CS (top 100 university)
>3.14 GPA
>tfw painfully average
>get diagnosed with ADHD last week
Welp, guess it's not too bad after all given the impairment.
>>
>>45710160
>believing in ADHD
good goy
>>
>>45708188
>CS is a major that seems to be growing, but not at the pace of demand.

>Not at the pace of demand.

Damn right it's not going at the pace of demand.

It's rocketing ahead of demand.
Demand is a fucking ant on the ground compared to the number of graduated attaining CS degrees.

Have you spent more than five minutes on this board?

Have you heard the horror stories of manchildren who play Minecraft earning Masters in CS?

Haven't you seen people here complain about being rejected everywhere they go?

I'll bet you're one of those paid code.org shills.
Promoting CS with promises of an empty field, only to shaft everyone who graduates into a saturated workforce with a codemonkey job.
>>
>>45710190
this
>I'm so fucked up now, I better go feed the pockets of big pharma and just sit in a hole
>>
>>45710195
>manchildren who play Minecraft earning Masters in CS

It's almost like there are other factors that play into getting a job and not just the degree you have.
>>
File: le-pepe.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
le-pepe.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>>45708891
>>45708932

>78.9% in Networking 154 (Net+ Cert)
>mfw teacher rounded it up to an 80%

Semester Average: 3.0
>>
>>45707300
Try me, first semester of college, 1.93 GPA. Also comp sci major, I fucking goof'd. I thought i'd fix my non existent work ethic from highschool.

I didn't.
>>
>>45710251
Better hope you get freshman forgiveness.
>>
>>45710152
Haven't tried to get an internship yet.

I've been told I would be turned down because I haven't even started taking courses related to my degree yet.
>>
>>45710260
Don't think that exists. I failed 1 class. Got an A, B and 3 C's.

I'm hoping having a good github page will mean better than GPA. I'm gonna attempt to pull a 2.5 Next semester.
>>
>>45710251
I thought the military would do that too. It just taught me how to skate better.
>>
>>45710285
Well that's correct.

Build up a good portfolio of projects, keep a decent GPA. You'll be good to go. Go to job/internship fairs on campus. They're a great resource and a good way to make a first impression.
>>
>>45710285
Well, that's true. But why haven't you started taking classes related to your degree after three whole semesters?

What kind of crazy university is this?
>>
>>45710315
I feel your pain (minus the whole military thing).

Do companies really look at your contributions to open source projects?

I try to be active over at lookingforpullrequests.com
>>
>>45710353
If you have a contribution/project you're proud of, just put it on your resume and that'll get it noticed. If you want them to know about it, don't just assume they'll go stalking your activity online.
>>
File: grin[1].png (241KB, 956x836px) Image search: [Google]
grin[1].png
241KB, 956x836px
>>45710244

Slouch stories?
Slouch stories.

>Security+ prep course

>Three things contribute to our total grade:
>LabSims from Testout
>Weekly 500-word writeups (three paragraphs, three security concepts)
>The final

>Complete all the labsims
>Skip the videos
>Still get 100% for each week

>89% on the final.
>Turns out I got the highest grade in the class.
>100% on a curve :^)

>Neglect to do ANY of the weekly summaries after the fifth week.
>Take a look at my grades online
>33.3% credit for labsims
>33.3% credit for final
>6.7% credit for paragraphs.
>Total: 73.5%
>Two days left in class
>We don't even meet on campus anymore.

>Open wordpad
>Begin writing
>Plan on finishing all ten remaining summaries before bed.
>One.
>Two.
>Shit this is hard.
>Maybe I'll only do half a page from now on.
>Thr-
>Fo-
>Fi-
>Give up.
>Attach them all to an email.
>Send.

>Look at grades online three days later
>Final grade: 100%, 4.0.
>>
>>45710394
Thanks! I'll take note to highlight specific one's in the future. And I wasn't assuming they would go hunt down my activity. I thought that for most brogramming jobs people put their github on the resume, I guess if they wanna look at it, they look at it.
>>
>>45710336
It's a community college, and the degree has required generals.

>Two english classes
>Two social classes
>Two physical science classes
>One math class
>One business class

I already took a networking class, and introduction to tech (learn how to open Word: the class).
Those don't really feel important to me though so I didn't include them; I can see how that would cause confusion.

Yes, I've already taken two "degree-related" classes, the rest are just fodder.

Four classes a semester, but I failed English once so I had to retake it.
>>
>>45710440
Yeah, that's exactly it. If they want to look they will. I'd guess it varies from place to place as to which ones would actually look though.
>>
Only legit advice in this thread:

Its your first semester. No biggie. Just work harder to get a 3.0 GPA. Sure higher is nicer, but 3.0 is good enough. 50% of people drop out anyway so don't feel like you're worthless for not having straight A's man.

Obviously work on personal projects and internships junior/senior year.

Being personable and being an optimist will be the MOST important qualities for succeeding in life. These guys calling people retards for not graduating from Berkeley in 6 semesters won't be successful - they'll always be working for a (more likeable) higher up.
>>
>>45707300
You passed. Who gives a fuck. You will still make more than a liberal arts grad with a 4.0.
>>
So is a 3.0 GPA from a (good) university more valuable than a 4.0 from college?

I mean, I went to college for a while and I don't believe I ever got below A there. Got tired of that shit and went to university, where I average about a B+, with extremes being a single C and a single A+.
>>
>>45710587
Solid advice

Being a likeable, sociable person is fucking huge when you consider some of the autists that are in CS.
>>
>>45710589
>You will still make more than a liberal arts grad with a 4.0.

What about liberal arts grads who go into web dev/design and/or IT? They're more common than you think!
>>
>>45710589
A liberal arts grad with good networking will get a job over a 4.0 CompSci major.
>>
>>45710591
Yes. The name of the university is the first thing I see on an application, and it's often how I remember people.
>>
>>45710703
Are they going for the same job? Your argument doesn't make sense.
>>
File: 1373857897948.png (90KB, 652x543px) Image search: [Google]
1373857897948.png
90KB, 652x543px
I figure I'll post this here instead of making a new thread.

Well, here I am, with an AAS in IT/electronics and multiple certs. I feel so fucking unfulfilled. Now I'm going to uni next semester to be a sys admin, and none of the shit-tier 2-year college credits transfer so I have to spend an entire 4 years at uni.

Does anyone know if I can get a good part-time job with my current Associates and my A+ and Network+ certs? I figure I can make some decent cash. No way I can go through school for 4 more years and not have a job.
>>
I'm a sophomore at a pretty decent university, and in my experience, GPA doesn't matter. I left it off my resume when applying to internships last year and was able to get one with a relatively well-regarded company. Did the same this year and landed interviews with Apple, Salesforce, Intuit, Amazon, and a few others, and have accepted an offer from one of those companies. Google and Cisco are the only companies I've met who even remotely care about grades, and I've heard from people that've gone through the Google recruiting process that GPA isn't a major factor.
>>
>>45707300
It is your first semester, plenty of time to get it up.
>>
College degrees are worthless anyway. If you've already decided you're happy wasting your money and putting yourself into debt, why the hell would you half-ass it over a number?
>>
>>45710753

If you're applying for an IT or code monkey job and have the required experiences/certs, the sometimes a degree from a different field can be helpful.

It sort of shows you can communicate well and you're not a total sperglord, which is a huge asset in the tech field, especially if you're working directly with customers.
>>
>>45710753
Yes, a Liberal Arts major with good networking will get a programming job over some computer science genius who can't talk to people (read: /g/).
>>
as long as you graduate you will be fine. in most cases i would think you can straight up lie about your gpa when you're applying for jobs
>>
File: LODSOFEMONE.jpg (54KB, 396x361px) Image search: [Google]
LODSOFEMONE.jpg
54KB, 396x361px
>>45710775
>mfw I'll be out of debt in a few years time since I'm starting a job at 62k a year and I have jack shit for living expenses.

>>45710808
Never lie about something so easily disproved. The place that just hired me literally asked for a transcript.
>>
>>45710287
lol you're an idiot
>>
>>45710775
>implying I don't live minimally and get a bunch of benefits for being military
Although the 4 years wasted aren't really worth the option of -maybe- going to college since I haven't even decided what I'm going to do.
>>
>>45710764
On the west coast here, no one talks about certs. I can't decide if they're a scam or just for a different job market than the one I'm in. Who asks for these things? Why would you go to university to be a sysadmin? Who even teaches that. Get a CS degree. It'll be worth more in 5 years than some cut-rate IT bullshit .
>>
i think i also have a big question op might have as well: should i learn code in college or online?
>>
>>45711036
>I can't decide if they're a scam or just for a different job market than the one I'm in

They're useful for the stereotypical "intro level IT job: five years of experience minimum" type of jobs. Once you have a resume built, they're not that important.
>>
>>45707300
B- is still pretty good if it's a good school.

Better schools = tougher competition.

Some profs give out a set # of A's and B's. I aced one of my EE classes. The next quarter a diff prof taught it and the people who took it said it was hard as balls and barely got C's. That professor was known for giving hard shit.

That's college folks.
>>
>>45711056
Even if you teach successfully teach yourself how to code online, a college degree is a foot in the door versus telling a potential employer "look at my github!"
>>
>>45711056
Do you want a job doing this? Get your degree in the field.

Do you not want a job doing this? Feel free to learn online.
>>
4.0 first semester at georgia tech :^)

next semester will surely rape me sideways
>>
Maybe I should have taken more than one non-STEM course at university so that my final GPA wouldn't look so bad.
>>
>>45710107
carnegie mellon is on that list, bruh
>>
File: b.jpg (34KB, 316x480px) Image search: [Google]
b.jpg
34KB, 316x480px
has anyone here worked at Apple? I need to know if it is as stressful as it is reputed to be.
>>
>>45707343

just lie and tell your potential second employer that you had a higher salary. problem solved
Thread posts: 189
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.