[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are people still using Windows? There are much distros which

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 12

File: deepin.gif (749KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
deepin.gif
749KB, 640x360px
Why are people still using Windows?
There are much distros which are alternatives for Windows.

Ubuntu
> as easy as Windows

Deepin
> feels like Android for PCs
> easier to use than Windows
> better design than Windows

Elementary OS
> Ubuntu with Mac OS X design
> perfect for all mac-like netbooks
>>
File: 02.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
02.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>45509898
pic related, Deepin with dock in "efficient" mode
>>
>>45509916
such fucking windows
>>
Deepin runs like shit
>>
>>45509898
>Why are people still using Windows?
Because Linux sucks.

No, seriously, it's because there's no Linux distro I want to use, and there's nothing I need a Linux distro for. So I neither want to use any distro and there's nothing I need from them either, so why I would unnecessarily switch to an OS that can't even run all of the software I want/need?

If you're happy with it, just keep using it. Stop being a fucking missionary and trying to convert everyone to your cause you pathetic faggot.
>>
>>45509898
So, according to you, I should be using rip-offs rather than the original thing?
>>
>deepin the pussy
>>
>>45509898
software compatability
>>
>>45509934

this. it's a fucking monstrosity of resource usage. even vanilla ubuntu runs snappier.
>>
Every time I switch to Linux I think it's going to be great, then nothing fucking works and I have to do a billion terminal commands and then nothing still fucking works. I mean, Jesus, how hard is it to make your OS support fucking Adobe Flash out of the box.
>>
>>45509898
Incompatible software and hardware, plus obnoxious community.
>>
Because I use a shitty APU A6-3410MX and it gets 100°C when I try to install a Linux distro, some even didn't load and freeze my laptop.
Also AMD drivers sucks and keeps getting my APU at 86°C without load.
>>
>>45509898
Linux has bad power management and no software
>>
>>45509898
MUH.
GAEMS.

Also easy of use, big-ass software library, compatibility with almost everything, etc.
>>
>>45510016
Adobe Flash isn't free though and us GNU/Linux users actually care about our freedom.
>>
>>45510016
also blame Adobe. They're not supporting linux anymore for whatever reason
>>
>>45510027
>Incompatible software
Retarded baby duck kid detected.
>>
>>45510099
I'd wager most GNU/Linux users don't care about their freedom that much, take a look at the most popular distros.
>>
>>45510047
>using AMD
>Ever
>>
I use windows because muh games, and autodesk inventor, and because I can get cheap licenses through my uni. Why bother getting a free OS, in which nothing I need works, when I can just pay €10 and get windows on which everything works?
>>
>>45510016
You IQ is < 80?
>>
>>45509898
Only thing i can say is that i can't game on Linoox
Yeah sure, there are games for it, but not everything i have is supported. And it's a pain to keep rebooting the PC and changing OS just to gayme
>>
>>45510262
>you IQ
>>
Windows isn't any better than Linux, I just prefer it.
>>
>>45510016
Install Ubuntu, use the package manager to install Chrome and you should have a fully functional distro with Adobe Flash. Also, if you actually do this you don't deserve to be here.
>>
>>45510137
You would be correct. Most Linux users run Chrome, install Flash, use Google/FB, etc.
>>
>>45509898
> there are much distros which are alternatives for Windows.
There are many distros which(that) are alternatives to Windows.
Learn the language before you learn to be an edgy little prick will ya?
>>
>>45509898
>linux
>no games
>no productivty software
>nothing works
>everything breaks
>it's shit

Looniux belongs in the trash,
>>
>>45509898
because i know how to do everything i want to do on windows and i don't want to change everything just to impress some nerds on the internet
>>
>>45509898
>no MS office
>no visual studio
>stability vs usabily
>shitty communities
That's about it
>>
>>45510135
Butthurt jackass detected
>>
File: 1417896039495.gif (2MB, 380x230px) Image search: [Google]
1417896039495.gif
2MB, 380x230px
>>45509898
But I am.
There's still a lot that is stil sub par compared to Windows namely lack of software and poor hardware support for specific configurations.
In other areas of course it's better than Windows. The pace of development is such that maybe in a couple of years it will be better than Windows in almost every way, who knows.

>>45510016
>how hard is it to make your OS support fucking Adobe Flash out of the box.
Firefox comes with Flash 11 out of the box if you use a distro that comes with 3rd party codecs and tools, you can find pepper flash in the software centre.
>>
File: Capture.png (214KB, 1920x690px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
214KB, 1920x690px
>>45509898
Why is "Mac OS X design" a good thing? The classic Windows setup is practically the pinnacle of utilitarian design. You've got a thin bar with your windows on bottom, presented with a small icon and some text. Time and a few a little widgets are on the right, where you can also control the services that don't need a window up all the time. You've got your start menu. Put all your favorite programs on the left, the rest are on bottom, along with search. Folders and shit on the right. Everything you need right there in one clean unit, and it all takes up just a few pixels of vertical space.

I know my start menu's looking a little empty right now, but this is a new install.
>>
>>45510154
NEVER EVER AGAIN
>>
File: 500 hours in tintwizard.png (661KB, 1920x292px) Image search: [Google]
500 hours in tintwizard.png
661KB, 1920x292px
>>45509916
if you just like the look of the panel you can do this with other panels, such as tint
>>
>>45509948
>being a moron
>calling other people morons
>>
Video games.
>>
My superior japanese support. Everyone in Japan uses Windows, and as a Japanese speaker I am tethered to it. At least I can use any browser I want these days. It wasn't that long ago where all the japanese sites needed IE to function properly.
>>
>>45509898
why would i want a mac design . i am cringing .
>>
>>45509898
Because games.
You can say what you want, but every game works on Windows. Period.
>>
>>45509898
Because normal people see a computer as a means to an end, a tool that they use to do a job. They don't care what operating sysstem is intalled as long as they can send emails, surf the internet, and run basic programs like Word they are happy.
>>
>install Debian Sid on nigger build
>have to install firmware for an atheros wifi adapter
>the display server breaks
>am able to use a CLI browser on a virtual shell to download an Ubuntu image
>am able to boot from live image without changing the Debian install on the hard drive
>Ubuntu currently lacks systemd and takes way more than 20 seconds to boot
>still faster than any Windows install I've ever had
Oh Linux, you suck but I love you anyway.
>>
"Hey guise look, i can make it look like windows, sure it must better"
>>
Because everyone uses it and a pawn store wont take it if it isn't mac or windows 8

I prefer arch myself.
>>
>>45510510
>arch
>>
>>
What kind of machine people use that linuxv never worked on them? I used fedora, elementary and Ubuntu. All of them works right away on my laptop. The only complain I have is nvidia and adobe
>>
>>45510566
I've had issues with legacy AMD cards, Broadcom wireless adapters, some ancient Lexmark printer. I've had to buy a brand new TP Link adapter, deal with AMD being a fire hazard and give up hope of ever putting Linux on the grandparents' computer. Ibus sucks so I have to type japanese in google translate or never be able to type spanish accents again.
>>
>>45510442
>Assassin's Creed Unity
>>
>>45509898
Because games. Seriously, that's it. I was using Ubuntu on my upgraded desktop all week until last night.

I can't play over half of my Steam Library on Linux and Wine isn't reliable. Otherwise I'd be using Ubuntu 14.04 or Manjaro with Openbox or Gnome Shell.
>>
File: Koala.jpg (763KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
763KB, 1024x768px
Because my wifi card only works on windows. I tried.
>>
>>45510628
So I'm the lucky one who got a thinkpad before discovering /g/?
>>
>>45510871
are you sure that you installed the proprietary drivers?
>>
>>45509898
I would never use an OS made by amateurs like Linus Torvalds.

I'd only consider using linux if shit hit the fan and all companies went kaput.
>>
>>45509898
Because almost all programs available on Linux distros are broken as fuck.

>Want to use a program for a certain thing? Nope! It just doesn't have the function you want to use, but hey, there's another iteration which has the function you want, but at the same time it's missing function the other iteration has

Bullcrap
Also
>recommending Deepin
>any fucking year
>>
>>45510871
I know that feel, anon.
>>
>>45510135
Some of us work in disciplines for which the software available for it is so ridiculously subpar we have no choice.

Try doing serious amateur radio or EE work on Linux and let me know how far you get.

gEDA, Kicad and Linux Eagle are massive barely working clusterfucks.

Its realtime performance for DSP is shockingly bad. Gnuradio chugs like a bitch and other SDR software expects an audio setup several centuries old.
>>
That's easy bro. GAMES (NO, SteamOS & Ubuntu aren't a option yet). And, also, AutoCAD since THOSE FCKING BASTARDS DOESNT WANT TO MAKE A DECENT CAD APP FOR LINUX.

For everything else, Linux used to be fine. I like to use it.
>>
File: stop it.jpg (80KB, 456x386px) Image search: [Google]
stop it.jpg
80KB, 456x386px
>>45512342
>APP
>>
>>45511720
I agree with you, wise anon.
>>
>le epin linux maymay xD
>>
>>45510339
apt doesn't have chrome in the repos
>>
>>45509898
Ubuntu is named after a unicorn no thanks.
>>
Because Windows is easier to use for me

I play a lot of games and Wine is terrible for newer games

I tried Linux on my laptop, I had no WiFi because I had to install a driver and use 2 hours putting in commands to make it work
>>
It looks absolutely horrendous. I thought this was supposed to be one of the prettier ones.
>>
File: linux.png (91KB, 749x867px) Image search: [Google]
linux.png
91KB, 749x867px
It's just not ready for Joe Q. Desktop User and won't ever be until real money and talent comes into play. Until then the only mentions of dusktap loonucks in the news will be of the form 'Ultra-Liberal EU City Immediately Regrets Decision to Migrate' and 'Massive Amounts of Returned Linux Laptops Flood Retailers'.
>>
>>45509898
because it comes with the computer
>>
>>45509916
what a ripoff
>>
>>45509898
the last time I came back to windows after trying linux was because I was tired of googleing "How to fix X on linux?"

Seriously linux sucks, if you like to play around with it making it run and look exactly what you want It's ok.
But I'm not interesting and don't have the time.

Also muh games and muh interprise software.
>>
File: 1417308825876.png (1MB, 2119x1460px) Image search: [Google]
1417308825876.png
1MB, 2119x1460px
Linux is more secure than OSX or Windows, both because of it's smaller market share and because of it's structure. It is useful in server applications and for programming, and it has the robust and mature features that a power user wants in their operating system.

Windows and to a lesser extent OS X have more applications than Linux. In the business world, at least in the US, corporations tend to us Windows. Even small independent companies are more likely to use the Apple platform than Linux.

I would love to just use Linux all day, but I have to work with the rest of the world.
>>
>>45512780
Linux has far more software I want that doesn't work on Windows, and to a lesser extent on OSX.

If I used OSX I would be okay, but if I used Windows I would be complaining about how there isn't any software, and the Linux software that did get ported over was shitty ports that didn't work as well as on Linux.

Windows just has more software the "rest of the world" might use, like forcing you to use Microsoft Office.
>>
>>45510433
Weebs crack me up.
>>
>>45512859
Honestly can't think of any good examples of this.
>>
>>45512641
Underrated post.
>>
File: 1415404538821.jpg (63KB, 675x900px)
1415404538821.jpg
63KB, 675x900px
>>45512859

Which software?

It seems Linux is used more for servers and back end applications because of it's stability and security whereas Windows was preferred for the front end for ease of use and wider range of applications. I mean, would you rather use Gimp or Photoshop?
>>
>>45512153
This.

99.99999% of Linuxfags only use a computer to browse 4chan, and download chinese cartoons. People that have actual proffessional jobs that require the use of a computer, use windows or mac...
>>
>>45512153
do you expect any better from software made by neckbeards for free?
>>
>>45512509
Pretty sure there should be a PPA, but I'm not sure since I haven't used it since Ubuntu for a long time. In fact I haven't even used Linux in a while because fuck AMD. Even so, using a PPA should be fast, but I don't think there is an easy way without a terminal.
>>
because I'm not a fucking autist and dont need any hipster points for using a shit os who wont run my gaymen
>>
>>45513008
>I haven't used it since Ubuntu for a long time
I haven't used Ubuntu (...)
Fuck my wording.
>>
Mostly because I need Windows to run my VNs and games. I don't really feel like fucking around in Wine trying to get a bunch of obscure Japanese games and translation utilities to work. Not to mention a lot of regular games I enjoy wouldn't work on Linux even though Steam does now. Also, all my filenames are typical of Windows users, so using the console is a bitch.

I think I'll eventually end up using dual boot. The only other issue I have there is that all my hard drives are using NTFS, so it'll be crappy performance on Linux. And I can't move to modern filesystems because Windows can't read them. Also, right now it's the transition period from x.org to Wayland, so I'm waiting for the total removal of x.org from Linux before I decide to dip my feet in again.
>>
>>45512969
I guarantee I make more than you developing, deploying, testing, maintaining and supporting services on Linux with Linux running on a Linux guest within a Linux enterprise cloud platform.

However, Linux is not ready for the desktop, Linux doesn't have any front-end customer-facing place in most business environments, and when /g/ talks about Linux it's mostly about ricing out their gantoos because it's safe to say at this point I'm the only employed lurker in the entire board.
>>
>>45509898
>deepin
Literally a Chinese botnet
It's like you want the communist to win
>>
>>45513039
>VNs
Life's better when you start dating actual women (or men). Seriously, give it a try sometime.
>>
>>45512908
>>45512964
I couldn't even begin to start listing stuff.

How about we just start with the obvious, WM/DE's, terminal emulators, file managers, text editors, package managers, compilers/interpreters for languages, countless little command line programs (most would work on OSX), only safe disk encryption left (LUKS/dmcrypt), rtorrent, easy to setup any kind of server which I also use on my desktop like an HTTP server, NFS, etc., mpd+ncmpcpp, network software like ettercap and wireshark working properly due to superior less restrictive networking drivers, drivers themselves, lots of random stuff like dmenu, taskbar panels, etc.

This is just scratching the surface rather than really trying to individually list everything out. The big difference is how you do stuff though. Even if some command line program got some shitty port to windows, like ffmpeg, it sucks to use! I install ffmpeg through my package manager, then ffmpeg and all it's binaries are in my $PATH, libs are in the correct place, etc. With windows software you have to manually add everything to your path. Even if I give you some examples of software that does work on Windows too, almost all of it is slow and buggy on Windows comparatively, because it was originally designed for Unix systems, and the devs don't care about Windows.

> mean, would you rather use Gimp or Photoshop?

GIMP. If Photoshop was released free of charge on Linux, I would still use GIMP. If it was released as free software on Linux I would probably tinker with it, but ultimately GIMP opens far faster than Photoshop, and fits my uses for image manipulation better, being "open up GIMP real quick to edit an image and close it".
>>
>>45513145
>shitty port to windows
>ffmpeg
Entire fucking post invalidated. Please leave /g/ and/or euthanize self.
>>
>>45513165
It is, they're fucking slow.
>>
>>45513145
Truth is GIMP sucks nigger balls. The interface and the tools have such low responsiveness it's a pain to use for any fast editing. It's nothing compared to photoshop.
I don't like shitting on other people's work, but that's the truth.
>>
>>45513183
Demonstrably wrong - ffmpeg performs transcodes equally well on Fedora 20 as Win8.1. The 'manual setup' you speak of takes about half a minute.
In my experience, this is true of most 'command-line utilities' of which you couldn't be bothered listing more than two or three.
There are also plenty of 'easy to setup any kind of server which I also use on my (mommy's basement server) desktop', e.g. LAMP stacks, code repositories, media services, etc. - if it's open-source it's very likely been ported to Windows.

Please euthanize yourself.
>>
>>45513207
>The interface and the tools have such low responsiveness it's a pain to use for any fast editing
What does this mean?
>>
>>45513249
It means if I want to do some quick editing to an image with layers, it will be much slower to use Gimp rather than Photoshop.
>>
>>45513249
It means that the interface and the tools within GIMP are not responsive to user input and that this lack of responsiveness is painful to the user experience and impedes fast editing.
>>
>>45513144
Why bother? This place and my small circle of friends is enough to fulfill my social needs. Dating inevitably leads to spending tons of money, and I don't believe in the institution of marriage to begin with after seeing firsthand what happens when shit falls apart. Why would anyone want to risk such a thing, when the divorce rate is over 50%? It's like betting your life on a coin toss. You're setting yourself up for financial ruin for some pussy you could have bought from a high class hooker for a few hundred dollars. Even worse if she has a child, you'd be fucked for the next 18 years paying for that!

And it's not like I am playing dating sim shovelware. I meant actual good VNs with engaging stories or amusing shit like Rance. It's no different than reading a good book, or watching anime, or watching sports, or playing video games. Everyone has their hobbies.
>>
>>45513207
>The interface and the tools have such low responsiveness it's a pain to use for any fast editing.

I've used GIMP for a long time on Linux. I never had any problem. One time however I tried it on Windows, it crashed twice just trying to install and open it, "rebuilding fonts" because it was made to work with fontconfig, it took forever to open, was fucking slow, and I could just tell the Windows port was not given much work.

So I'm going to go ahead and say that unless you've used GIMP on Linux or maybe OSX, don't criticize it in those areas.

>It's nothing compared to photoshop.

There is few things I would be jealous of photoshop over. For >90% of image editing use cases GIMP is just as good or better.

It fits my needs for image editing fine, it's faster to open and lighter on resources, it's free, I can install it from my package manager freely, and I don't have pay $600 or deal with maintaining shady pirated software, nor do I ever have to worry about Adobe fucking me over in the future, on top of them fucking me over by using it now.

People insisting they need to use Photoshop to do their shitty editing is ridiculous. If you look at the $600 price tag and say anything other than "that's reasonable, no problem", you do not fucking need photoshop moron.
>>
Windows does literally everything I need.

Functional browser - check
Functional word processor - check
Functional media player - check

What the fuck else do you even need?
>>
>>45513240
>ffmpeg performs transcodes equally well on Fedora 20 as Win8.1.

We don't even need to go that far. We could just run
ffmpeg -version
, and you will fucking noticeably be able to see that the windows build takes longer to even start at all.

>if it's open-source it's very likely been ported to Windows.

No it's not, and if it is, it's almost always given a shitty port to Windows because all the devs are using Linux or Macs, and don't like Windows.
>>
>>45510660
And how does the Linux version compare?
>>
>>45513333
Many people (though not everyone) tend to want those sorts of aspects in their lives at around age 40 or so - child-rearing, life companionship, etc. - so much that they're willing to risk some of the problems you mention. (The '50% divorce rate' statistic is a bit misleading because divorced people tend to remarry and re-divorce, but it is still a significant risk.) There are a lot of perfectly happy single elderly people out there, but it's generally harder to keep in good spirits as the years go by.

VNs are by definition 'dating sim shovelware'.
If you want a good, engaging plot conveyed in a medium where the audience has direct participation, check into some of these:
http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Interactive_Fiction
>>
>>45513314
That means nothing to me as this explanation does not educate me on anything new. I can use Photoshop and I can use Gimp without problem so I want to know what "not responsive to user input" means when I know that buttons respond immediately in Gimp.
>>
What do people use instead of Skype? Linux version of Skype is so far behind, it wouldn't even let me do a Video-Conference.
>>
>>45509898
Muh games
>>
>>45513370

If application startup times are an issue to you, you're using a shitty system. Nobody is going to be able to tell, let alone give a fuck, about a ~2 second penalty for an application to start up
>>
>>45513403
I wouldn't call Zork engaging, though it was a fucking good game in its day.
>>
>>45513370
I'm a dev, and I use Linux and Windows (primarily Windows at home). Whatever I write, I ensure it's cross-platform and stays so.

>>45513457
It's not even 10 ms: (admittedly, haven't updated ffmpeg in a while - note, outdated packages is a problem (benefit?) also in many Linux systems used in production, e.g. RHEL5, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, CentOS)
PS d:\Apps\ffmpeg> Measure-Command {bin\ffmpeg.exe}
ffmpeg version 1.0.1 Copyright (c) 2000-2012 the FFmpeg developers
built on Jan 2 2013 20:22:20 with gcc 4.7.2 (GCC)
configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --disable-w32threads --enable-av
isynth --enable-bzlib --enable-fontconfig --enable-frei0r --enable-gnutls --enab
le-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libcaca --enable-libfreetype --enable-libg
sm --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --e
nable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --e
nable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-libvo-amrwben
c --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libxavs --enable-
libxvid --enable-zlib
libavutil 51. 73.101 / 51. 73.101
libavcodec 54. 59.100 / 54. 59.100
libavformat 54. 29.104 / 54. 29.104
libavdevice 54. 2.101 / 54. 2.101
libavfilter 3. 17.100 / 3. 17.100
libswscale 2. 1.101 / 2. 1.101
libswresample 0. 15.100 / 0. 15.100
libpostproc 52. 0.100 / 52. 0.100
Hyper fast Audio and Video encoder
usage: ffmpeg [options] [[infile options] -i infile]... {[outfile options] outfi
le}...

Use -h to get full help or, even better, run 'man ffmpeg'

Days : 0
Hours : 0
Minutes : 0
Seconds : 0
Milliseconds : 17
Ticks : 177676
TotalDays : 2.05643518518519E-07
TotalHours : 4.93544444444444E-06
TotalMinutes : 0.000296126666666667
TotalSeconds : 0.0177676
TotalMilliseconds : 17.7676
>>
>>45513364
haha you have to pay extra for an office suite and search with a crappy browser for an installer for a somewhat decent browser.
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.