[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Arch or Debian I know this is a very broad type of question but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: debian-archlinux.png (18KB, 170x191px) Image search: [Google]
debian-archlinux.png
18KB, 170x191px
Arch or Debian
I know this is a very broad type of question but is there a reason other than open package system, customization and philosophy to use arch over debian ? base debian and not any variant.
>>
No.
>>
Both are good. Arch uses fewer dependecies. AUR is great. Pacman is great. Up to date. Runs swell. I like debian. I used netinstall for awhile. But switched to Arch a few weeks back. Not looking back.

Both are good distros. Debian has a cool logo and does well. Arch is just better imo

But depend son what you use for. If you're running something small and need server or just one simple task. debian may be better.

For a desktop. Arch
>>
>>45488353
/thread
>>
If you're fine with running 10 year old software then go ahead and use Debian.

Honestly though, I've found that since Debian's software is so fucking out of date, THAT causes most of my issues.
>>
>>45488353
Thanks, I will most likely continue using arch but I have heard allot of people dissing it on /g/ because it "breaks" allot. >inb4 /g/ is one person
>>
>>45488303
Debian is rock solid, Arch is a broken piece of shit.
>>
>>45488408
Well. LIke I said. I have only been using for a few weeks. No breaks yet. I broke it myself twice because I was fucking with display managers. But that wasn't Arch's fault . But I'd stick with Arch personally. I just don't see you "enjoying" anything more on debian side.
>>
Use BSD or OS X.
There's NO excuse for using Linux in 2014.
>>
File: arch linux for lesbians.png (755KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
arch linux for lesbians.png
755KB, 1080x1920px
>>45488303
arch is rolling release, which is nice
>>
>>45488408
it's a meme
>>
>>45488408
The only thing that breaks constantly is fucking ubuntu and every single derivat under its umbrella
>>
i just successfully installed arch for the first time, /g/. this is coming right from ubuntu and no prior experience, feels good man.
>>
>>45490016
It's not actually difficult.
>>
not OP. How good debian is as a desktop user ?
>>
>>45490053
For desktop? Terrible. Your choices are either old, slightly less old or unstable.
>>
>>45490062
then what are the good distro for a desktop user ?
>>
>>45490053
It's good in my experience, I use unstable. Does anything I want it to really and has not broke in the last 2 years.
>>
>>45490053
It just werks.
>>
>>45488303
If you enjoy fighting with your distro to make it work properly, use Debian
>muh freedumbz
>>
>>45490053
same guy.
Better to install debian stable, testing or unstable ?
>>
>>45490263
stable = decade old software, rock solid, meant for servers
testing = slightly less outdated than stable
unstable = breakage everywhere
>>
>>45488303
Or you can use Manjaro. All the pros of archlinux + packages tested few weeks before release so your os is always stable & solid as a rock like Debian. It's a good compromise
>>
>>45488303
for something you're not using as a desktop debian might be a better idea (media center, nas, other kind of server), but for desktop use i find arch more suitable, mainly down to everything being up to date and the AUR has everything, so you very rarely need to manually find/install anything (even common themes and fonts are in there)
>>
>>45490263
stable: for server/install-and-forget uses, in most cases not really for desktop use
testing: good comprimise to get newer things for desktop use
unstable: usually only suitable for developers, even arch is tested more than this
>>
>>45490435
note: as for the trustworthyness of AUR packages, it's not much trouble to read over AUR install scripts, they're typically very short and are essentially a modified version of the programs' regular manual installation procedure

also, they're not less trustable than PPA's
>>
I use Debian. I think if you've got unlimited time and patience, Arch is probably better, or if you haven't used either it might be better to learn Arch.

I like Debian a lot, but apt has some major flaws that always present themselves eventually, such as dozens of packages asking to be autoremoved for some reason, and often breaking shit if you autoremove them.
>>
>>45488397
I don't mean to resort to ad hom right away, but are you fucking retarded?

Debian Stable =/= Debian. It's for servers and paranoid-fags. Even Noobuntu is based on Debian Testing.
>>
>>45490435
Is setting up the media stuff GUI based? I would like to set something up but I don't want to spend much time setting it up
>>
>>45490706
media stuff? as in a media center?

if you're setting up a box as a dedicated media center, might i recommend OpenELEC

it's dead simple and it's essentially xbmc: the os
>>
>>45490053
Great. I use Debian Jessie as the only OS on my desktop and ThinkPad.
>>
>>45490109
arch is pretty much tailored specifically for low-maintenance desktop.
>>
>tried to install arch
>to difficult
>debian is easier to install
>install debian
>still prefer arch logo
>>
>>45490368
all the pros except for lots, and packages that are older and don't have security patches
>>
>>45490761
>to difficult

why is this still a thing..
>>
>>45490761
What part of the installation did you find difficult? Arch has the most comprehensive wiki and the community is pretty friendly and helpful for the most part.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.