[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT : we talk about distros What are you pref Linux's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: 5b2a984d7b-I'm running loads!.jpg (186KB, 849x849px) Image search: [Google]
5b2a984d7b-I'm running loads!.jpg
186KB, 849x849px
ITT : we talk about distros

What are you pref Linux's distros guys ? Try to explain by topics :

Style, stability, familiarity, documentation and stuff

Also, going to buy a new laptop, can't go above 400€, you guys already bought a laptop already under Linux distro ? Was thinking about getting something on linux-shop (French website, soz.)
For example : http://www.linux-shop.fr/produit-LSP15-v1.html (should not be too hard to translate)
>>
>>45432919
OP here
For my part, I only had a computer running Ubuntu. Quite simple to use for anyone, seems pretty stable, but didn't like the user interface, doesn't really look beautiful. Also the install was a real pleasure, in 2 click you got the thing running on your PC.
Also tried Debian at univ', with GNOME env, but can't really tell a lot about it.
I'm looking forward to see your distros and what you think about that.
>>
>Fedora
>Style: Vanilla, do it yourself.
>Stability; Bretty good to be semi bleeding edge.
>Familiarity: Is that some kind of Ubuntu user word?
>Documentation: Horrible, but, everything is on ArchLinux Wiki to be honest you just need to have common sense to use any distro.
>>
>>45432991
>Familiarity: Is that some kind of Ubuntu user word?
My bad, I wasn't clear enough... I mean, for how long have you been using this distro etc..
>>
>>45432973
First define the best DE for you (Cinnamon, XFCE, KDE, etc) then the distro, the Desktop environment is part of Windows Kernel, but we are on Linux, so don't choose a distro because of his DE, you can get for example XFCE on any distro you want practically.
>>
>>45433012
I used GNOME a lot, didn't really liked it...
I don't know much about distros & DE, that's actually why I launched the thread, to get some of your tastes :)
>>
>>45432991
>>45433010
Oh, tehehehe.

Since 20... Humm, man, Fedora 17 it was... 2012? I think, My first distro was Mandriva, fucking awesome, then was, Ubuntu, Debian, Linux Mint, Mageia, OpenSUSE, and now Fedora since 2012, yep.
>>
>>45433048
I head some good things about Mint, you liked it ?
>>
>>45433043
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment

I'm pretty sure the one you'd like will be on Linux Mint, I hope you better start using a easy to use distro, like LinuxMint or Manjaro.

Manjaro it's pretty interesting, is based on Arch.

(Don't install Gentoo or Arch, you'll never come back to linux, nobody like linux because their fucking ego says IT CANNOT BE THAT HARD HUEHEUHEU, and people try advanced distros)
>>
>>45433100
I'm justly looking up for more infos about DE !
Well, we roughly do some system at univ, so shell, commands and stuff doesn't bother me... But I guess what I want is something that you can custom a lot, fast and beautiful.
Btw, I'm a developper, if that can help... Mint seems to be nice, I'm looking for more infos atm.
>>
File: ship_dog_meme.jpg (55KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
ship_dog_meme.jpg
55KB, 600x800px
>>45432919
Debian.
>Style
Anything you want
>stability
i've broken so much distros, but my debian install is still running perfectly fine even after a year, and it is debian "unstable".
>Documentation
Tons of it
>Stuff
What stuff do I need?
>>
>>45433134
Debian broke my old MacBook pro (2011). I installed the minimal ISO in 2013 through. I think it was wheezy or whatever came out in 2013
>>
>>45433134
Isn't Debian more used for servers (especially because of the stability) ?
>>
>>45433132
Hmm, If you are a dev, Fedora can hit the spot, you can have it the way you want, and for me, it's the best distro out there for developers. updated libraries but stable.

I'm using linux mint, and for me, you better keep the default settings and shit, if you touch something you'll see the bugs, that's why is for beginners, beginners doesn't like to touch their code, on Fedora you have an open source experience (if you want you can install non free from other repos) and almost everything is vanilla. Try it OP, believe me.

For every command there is a manual so if you want to know more type "man command" on the command line.

example:
$ man fdisk
>>
>>45433220
So Fedora would be better than Mint ?
Alright, I'll look up for Fedora :) !

Also, the man isn't mandatory on every linux distros?

Fedora seems pretty interesting, I'm going to look up about WM and DE now ! Thanks
>>
Elementary OS
Style up the ass
Not a lot of documentation
Pretty user firendly
>>
Hm.. So Fedora with Awesomewm windows manager could be a nice start ?
>>
>>45433169
What you're talking about is debian stable. I'm using debian unstable/testing which is a rolling release distro.
>>
>>45433244
Yup, I assumed we already know that every distro have it, I'm just saying that more users need to use it.

>>45433297
Oh boy, yes, can't really understand why /g/ like so much WM,
>>
>>45432919
I bought a laptop with a linux distro. The ASUS F201/X201 shipped with windows 8 and ubuntu. The ubuntu model had 4GB RAM instead of 2GB and a 500GB HDD instead of 320GB. Additionally it was cheaper too and 100% driver support was guaranteed. I would always try to by OSless or with linux.

>Manjaro Minimal Install
>LXDE/i3
>Very good stability, never had a problem unlike with Canonical
>LXDE is very similar to windows, i3 is just extremely efficient from a productive point of view
>Manjaro is based on Arch. The Arch wiki is very extensive

I would always recommend a minimal install. Basically every linux disto comes with massive bloat and an absolute hideous appearance.
>>
>>45433372
>Yup, I assumed we already know that every distro have it, I'm just saying that more users need to use it.
Well, learned to use it after getting tons of "RTFM" !

>Oh boy, yes, can't really understand why /g/ like so much WM,
Why won't you like WM ? :p

>>45433376
So you would recommend getting the mini install and then adding what you want?
>>
>>45433259
How is it? I was thinking of trying it out.
>>
>>45433417
I guess is too minimal for me, I liked a lot Gnome 2, but it looks to deprecated for me now, so I'm not using MATE or Xfce, I'm using Cinnamon right now, pretty awesome, and it only use 250~ mb of my 3GB ram. (64 bit)

Yes, the Netinstall is good, or you can try some other distros to improve your DE or WM experience till you wait for Fedora 21, I'm stuck on LinuxMint17.1 till they release it, just testing Cinnamon 2.4, I also tested Plasma 5 on OpenSUSE and Mageia, not that bad, but Cinnamon just do what I want. I'll have Fedora 21 with Cinnamon at the end of the year.
>>
>>45433417
I would always put a minimal install on the machine and work myself up from there depending on what I need. Personally I only need mails, a browser, a texteditor, pdf viewer and capabilities for media playback meaning music, pictures and movies of course. This means that roughly 90% of what a distro ships with is useless to me. If I wanted anything more right now I could simply add it via terminal. The only thing you should know about is how to handle the cli as you will have to install your DE yourself in most cases. After that you must add it in ~.xinitrc by writing exec [command for starting the DE].
>>
>>45433483
>Cinnamon
I never tried it 'IRL', but it seems pretty easy to custom and stuff... I just don't really like the basic style, but seems that you can do that kind of things :
http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/uploads/themes/C7AR-WYUC-R6K0.png

Stupid question, but I got different answers from a website to another... You can roughly use any DE / WM with any distro right ?

Like Fedora/Cinnamon ?

Also for GNOME, didn't liked GNOME 3, purely because of the style, doesn't look really clear etc...
>>
If I want a distro with rolling release but don't want to compile packages myself to have full functionality/ricing (and dont't want Gentoo), is Open SUSE with Tumbleweed my only option, or is Arch still OK?
>>
>>45433534
Arch doesn't need compiling, if that is what you are asking. The official repositories are binary packages, but I'm pretty sure the AUR is all build from source.
>>
>>45433504
Update : since Cinnamon seems created for Mint, shouldn't I go for Mint ?
>>
File: DealWithIt.jpg (44KB, 700x361px) Image search: [Google]
DealWithIt.jpg
44KB, 700x361px
>>45433568
I see
>MFW make fun of arch fags
>MFW actually do research on distros
>MFW I want to run Arch
fuck
>>
>>45433504
>Stupid question, but I got different answers from a website to another... You can roughly use any DE / WM with any distro right ?
Yes, but there is some distros that prefer to improve their own DE more than port new one (See, Ubuntu and Unity)
>Like Fedora/Cinnamon ?
Yup., See. (Ignore the debian icon on the menu lmao.)

Yeah, I speak taco, that's why I write like a dyslexic fuck.
>>
I'm new to Linux and giving Crunchbang a try. I really like Openbox but I'm also going to download a distro that comes with XFCE just so I can try it out too.

Do any of you anons have any resources for learning Debian/Linux ?

I downloaded "The Unix Programming Environment" but I'm looking for a book that focuses on the daily tasks/operation of the OS rather than the details. Of course I'm interested in both but right now I think it's best to stick to the simple things in order to learn.

Any help, please?
>>
>>45433614
First, fucking good wallpaper ah ah !

Okay I see !

Well I guess my choice will go for that computer
http://www.linux-shop.fr/produit-LSP15-v1.html
Running Fedora using Cinnamon, thanks guys !

(Just in case,

Computer : LSP15
Brand MSI
Version 1

Preinstalled OS (I can choose)

SCREEN
Size 15.6 inches
Type LED HD Mat
1366x768

PROC
Proc Intel Pentium 3550M
CPU frequency 2.30 Ghz
Hearts 2
Threads 2

MEMORY
Size 4 Go
Type DDR 3
Frequency 1600 MHz

STOCKAGE
HDD 500 Go
5400 RPM

DISPLAY
Intel HD Graphics

NETWORK
Wifi Yes
Standards Wifi 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth Yes
RJ45 Yes

CONNECTION
2 x USB 3.0
1 x USB 2.0
1 x VGA
1 x HDMI
2 x Jack (3.5 mm)
1 x Lan RJ45

MEDIA
Webcam HD 720p
Micro Yes

Weight 2.4 Kg
Dimensions 383 x 249,5 x 32,3~37,6 mm)
>>
>>45433671
Good choice OP, that laptop looks amazing.

I'm pretty sure you're not gonna have problems since you are a developer you'll find more great things about Fedora than bad things. (since there's not a perfect distro, just the perfect distro for us, find it)

Good luck OP!
>>
>>45433724
Thanks a lot anon !
Well, I guess I'm going to try some distros if Fedora doesn't suit, but it seems pretty good

Thanks again to everyone :) !
>>
>>45432919
Slackware.
>style
Vanilla, UNIX, BSD, KISS. Simple without going full retard like Arch
>stability
Rock solid though still a very modern distro, new release once a year on average. Also very conservative when it comes to software which I think is a good thing since it avoids bandwagons *cough*systemd*cough*. Also it's been going on for 21 something years now so that should speak for itself.
>familiarity
Haven't been using it for long but I already love it. Very easy to learn I'd say.
>documentation
Pretty good, thanks to vanilla packages there's very little distro-specific documentation so you can always get documentation from the original software package, /usr/doc is your friend.
>>
how good is CentOS for everyday usage?
>>
Fedora.
>style
don't really care, I threw the default config out and customised everything.
>stability
never had it crash. a few times some memory-leaking programs made the OS unusable due to virtual mem usage reaching almost 100%, but that's no surprise.
>familiarity
IMO yum and rpm are way eaier to use than apt and deb, and the rest, well, it's customisable.
>documentation
Fedora Forums are awesome.
>>
>>45434748
I've heard fedora lacks the stability, how true is that?
>>
>>45435104
It's pretty cutting-edge so there's bound to be some instability. In both the buggy software sense of the word and the "I updated and things are different" sense.

Not to say it's as bad as Arch, but it's definitely there.
>>
>>45433499
>I only need mails, a browser, a texteditor, pdf viewer and capabilities for media playback meaning music, pictures and movies
>roughly 90% of what a distro ships with is useless to me

kek
>>
I use Foresight Linux. Only Distro I know of that uses Conary as a package manager.
>>
I installed Ubuntu 14.10 on my Alienware 14 today and it's pretty good. I got everything working, and I'm downloading TF2 to test out how well the NVIDIA GPU handles it. The only thing that kinda stinks about it is that the sound is for some reason muffled and quiet from the speakers compared to super loud on Windows.
>>
>>45437800
How are switchable graphics?
>>
>>45437845
That's what I'll be testing in a minute here. I'll grab Uniengine whatever and tell you how it goes.
>>
>>45437051
what
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.