[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Free software is software that didn't cost me anything.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

Free software is software that didn't cost me anything.
>>
No, that is gratis software that is free as in free beer. Free software is software that repects your freedoms.
>>
>>45381162
sometimes that's true
>>
thank u rms
>>
File: stallmanu.jpg (743KB, 1500x1516px) Image search: [Google]
stallmanu.jpg
743KB, 1500x1516px
Non-free software is software that costs you your freedom.
>>
>>45381184

>respects my freedoms
Unless I am a developer
>>
>>45381184
It is legitimate if other people refer to gratis software as free software. If we're referring to free software, we can make it clear that we're referring to software that respects the users' freedom. If people are getting confused about what I'm saying, I like to use "user freedom software which is software that respects the users' four freedoms in free software".
>>
>>45381389
Your freedoms as a developer to distribute the software is still there. What you should not do is distribute proprietary software. Proprietary software is immoral as it causes users to be helpless and divided.
>>
>>45381423

>my freedoms as a developer to distribute the software is still there
>unless you distribute it like this, then NO

Nice double think freetard.
>>
>>45381411
Gratis literally means free in germanic languages.
>>
>>45381162
That's technically true. English being a retarded language is something you can't change. You can keep stealing words from other superior languages (like gratis is starting to appear on English dictionaries online for this same reason) but that doesn't change how fundamentally flawed this clusterfuck of a language is; it even makes it even more of a clusterfuck because of the added pronunciation exceptions derived from stealing from other languages.
>>
why do these assholes keep trying to change what free means? you already have a term that isn't an ambiguous buzzword: libre
>>
>>45381634
Tolerate everything but intolerance. Allow all freedoms but the freedom not to allow all freedoms.
>>
>>45381768
Which word are you guys going to rob from Spanish to avoid the ambiguity? Libre or gratis? make up your minds.
>>
>>45381791
They're Latin.
>>
>>45381791
You are aware that both "libre" and "gratis" are already a part of the English language, right?
>>
>>45381768
>libre speech
>>
>>45381818
Wow, so you actually needed to steal both. Enjoy even more pronunciation irregularities I guess. You guys are gonna go nuts when you need to steal a word that has an ñ
>>
>>45381849
>spain trying to take credit for ancient rome
>is in fact full of spics and arab halfbreeds
lol
>>
>>45381652
But it's Latin.
>>
>>45381423
Is it immoral to sell software?

>srs question, freefags pls respond
>>
Correct.
>>
>>45382123
>Implying Spainiard
>implying stealing a word from an already established language to fix shortcomings is the same as basing a language on another and developing from it from the start
>literally spent hundreds of years dealing with the ambiguity between free and gratis
>tries to argue back with red herring
Embarrassing.
>>
>>45382206
>established language
Yes Latin definitely was established a long fucking time ago. No idea why you keep bringing up Spanish though.
>>
>>45382243
>dead language
>established in modern use
Please
>>
>>45382254
>re-purpose words from the historical lingua franca of western europe
>uhhh we have similar words in spanish for a long time stop stealing from us
Are you actually this stupid or just putting on a good show?
>>
>>45382254
WAS established. And dead? Millions of people are using an evolution of it, bitch.
>>
>>45381732
>my language is shit and I blame English
>>
File: Yuki,MatterOfFact.png (433KB, 522x534px) Image search: [Google]
Yuki,MatterOfFact.png
433KB, 522x534px
>>45381423
>Immoral to distribute proprietary software
It is immoral to stop someone being able to make a living.
If they suck at other stuff, but they be a good codemonkey, let em shill, I say!

On a more serious note, you might wanna hide the red at least a little. That's like saying I can't sell/own a house or I can't sell you a cheeseburger.
People do things so they can do what they want. If you have no form of leverage, nothing will evar fucking get done.
Look at the US these days: We fund faggots on Welfare but we cut back NASA. I actually just had a discussion on part of this. NASA gets downsized, because stupid Obama and his Democrat-led Congress wanted more Welfare for the Majority of Minorities we have.

I can bring this up here, because my argument is that we aren't super-funding scientific and technological research on every scale from easily-applicable to ridiculous-but-breddy-cool, because we're too busy funding assfuckers on Welfare.

Now, what's this have to do with "gratis" software, again? Simple, the concept that you think it's wrong to sell intellectual property makes you one of those Commie bastards stifling the entire fucking planet's technological growth.

I'm not saying you MUST SELL it, because to say it's wrong TO SELL it is, innately, wrong. This is the tech board, you all should be fucking disgusted by the idea of this commie-moral of free software (as you guys use it - the concept itself is harmless, until you take it as Free vs Evil. No, it's Free vs Non-free AND Good vs Evil. They are NOT innately the same thing).

Take Facebook, for example: they are evil by almost every possible corporate standard, but i's free to sign up. You can even use AdBlock to block all but the suggested posts. See? Free AND gratis, BUT evil as fuck, because they're an ethical blackhole who takes and uses your information. They're also evil, NOT because they're a monopoly, but because they do NOT use their monopolistic powers for good purposes.
>>
>>45381732
I don't hear any ancient Greeks or Romans bitching about us using their words, so why are you?
>>
>>45382279
>implying you'd have stolen those words if they hadn't been in active use by a popular modern language
>implying stealing words from other languages to fix shortcomings that existed for centuries isn't embarrassing regardless of circumstance
>still trying to change the subject by bringing up the fact spanish is based on latin
>conveniently ignore the fact libre isn't even a word in latin, if you had used latin you'd have used liber instead
Are you even trying anymore? It's time to just give up, if you had to resort to namecalling you're just being desperate.
>>45382299
>WAS
>not IS
Exactly my point. Bravo.
>an evolution of it
>not it
Again, exactly my point. Good boy.
>>
>>45382327
Not bitching about using our words, just about how shitty the language is and how it needed to do it in the first place. Borrowing words from other languages is common as common can be, I won't argue that, we borrowed a lot of words from English.
But no words to avoid distinction between free as in free speech and free as in free beer for hundreds of years? Embarrassing.
>>
But free does mean "doesn't cost anything". What gives you the authority to dictate the meaning of the phrase "free software"?
>>
>>45382349
avoid ambiguity*
>>
>>45382330
You have no point fuck face. I speak Latin. And Spanish sucks, stop bringing it up, I hate sandniggers and those dirty Hispanics.
>>
>>45382330
>used liber instead
First of all, "liber" already exists with multiple meanings in English. Why adopt the same word yet again when we can adopt a less-used variant?
>shortcomings
Advancing (not fixing as you suggest) a language is done by expanding the lexicon to suit constantly evolving instances. New words don't appear out of thin air, thus you borrow an ancient word or coin a neologism to fulfill that need. When your native language has a word stock with even a fraction of the depth of English, I'll be impressed.
>>
>>45382393
lel
Case in point.
>>45382402
>Why adopt the same word yet again when we can adopt a less-used variant?
That's exactly my point. You're adopting SPANISH, not Latin.
>constantly evolving instances.
>implying the distinction between freedom and free as in free beer is a new concept derived from a consantly evolving instance.
Jesus Christ.
>>
>>45382422
Why does it matter that it's specifically Spanish? Are you seriously getting so rump ravaged over a single borrowed word?

>Free lunch, originally offered in bars to draw in business, by 1850, American English.
No idea where you pulled this "centuries" shit from, I guess your ass. Free has always primarily meant freedom, in almost any circumstance. The problem is that in the context of software, which most consumers with the consumerist mindset think of as a product, then of fucking course the meaning would be interpreted as "no charge" instead.
>>
Why not call gratis software freeware and free software free software?
>>
>>45382528
Freeware probably sounds too much like spyware, adware, malware etc to most people.
>>
I'm glad my language doesn't have this problem
>>
>>45382507
>Why does it matter that it's specifically Spanish?
Why do you just jump into discussions without reading the previous messages to get the context? It does NOT matter it's specifically Spanish; I was arguing with that guy about how it was Spanish because he kept bringing up Latin. The point I made it very clear here >>45382349
Funny you mention me bringing info out of my ass when you make retarded assumptions without knowing the context of the conversation and then get mad about it;
>in almost any circumstance.
Exactly. There's always been ambiguity and people have always had to guess from context, free software only made it more evident and conflictive.
>>
>>45382645
No there hasn't always been ambiguity, in fact, the exact opposite is true as I stated. Free means freedom in any context outside of the the consumer market. That's my entire point. You're talking about a specific scenario that's only shown this ambiguity recently in history and then complain that they didn't have a distinction before the problem existed in the first place.
>>
>>45381732
Yeah, English is retarded, but I still like it more than my language. We conjunct every verb and naun. Also we have words for 2 persons:
I we-two we
you you-two you
he they-two they
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.