[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Click for more| Home]

Hello /g/ Could someone explain me, why not ubuntu ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 202
Thread images: 9

File: no-to-ubuntu.png (121KB, 1206x1210px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
no-to-ubuntu.png
121KB, 1206x1210px
Hello /g/
Could someone explain me, why not ubuntu ?
>>
I think for most the problem lies within Unity. For others it might be because Ubuntu has a more corporate drive force with shines through their products. Others mind find it to 'bloated', meaning it has to much unnecessary software
>>
>>45324734
Which*, too*, too*
>>
>>45324734
So why not install Ubuntu Gnome ? ._.
>>
>>45324646
1. Unity is fucking slow.
1.5. Nobody rices with that shit ever.
2. Bloated as in software
3. Bloated as in slow
>>
>>45324646
It breaks when you type startx in the tty.
It is tryibg to be like Micro$oft and Apple by their "error reporting" enabled by default and their whoopsie deamon.
>>
>>45324646
Since Unity and the Amazon spyware (which is still present), nobody trusts Canonical any more. I'm thankful for what they did pre-Unity, but they're not the same company I used to love.

Fuck Shuttleworth.
>>
Went from bloated Ubuntu to Xubuntu. Faster but totally unreliable.

Fuck this, I think I'll try Fedora.
>>
Its existence gives absolutely no reason to use Arch. Since Archfags are dying it's cool now.
>>
ignore the haters and use Kubuntu
in the end, K/X/...buntu are all the same thing
>>
>>45324855
>error reporting
Literally every modern distro has that. Jesus christ /g/ is full of retards
>>
>>45324895
>Fuck Shuttleworth.
And here comes the idiot that barely even uses linux

Canonical loses millions and millions of dollars on the ubuntu desktop, its main source of income is OpenStack and server support. The only reason it exists is because shuttle worth likes it and wants Linux to succeed. Considering hes removing all Amazon shit in the next LTS and even took down Ubuntus cloud services, I really dont see how they are evil besides you just implying anyone with a business is evil. Ubuntu is 100% open source so until the day comes where a leak is found and it turns out everything you do on your computer is recorded and sent to the NSA I dont think its bad to use Ubuntu.
>>
>>45324941
>Fedora
>reliable
>poettering-ware the distro
>reliable
lol good luk ther mate
>>
Its decent but unity and the position of close, minimize, restore buttons is inherintly, by designe of following mac osX on the opposite side than on windows.

Its a problem it makes you use to something thats not on 95% of pc in the world that you might often interact with (school, work?)

And no, its not movable on the other side, not for the full screen mode.
>>
>>45324992
Kubuntu is so fucking unusable it makes unity look stable.

>>45324941
If you think Fedora will be any better than Xubuntu in terms of stability, you're in for some huge disappointment. The only thing Fedora has going for it is that it's not ubuntu.
>>
>>45324941
LTS runs perfectly. it's non-LTS that give ubuntu its bad name.
>>
>>45324646
i have ubuntu installed on this laptop, and it's surprisingly become a bloated piece of shit, with processor intensive eye candy bullshit reminiscent of windows Vista. Maybe i've got something configured wrong but it really runs like crap on this mid-range laptop and windows 7 runs like a dream.
>>
>>45325261
Unity is pretty stable now. I haven't been running into any of the problems i experienced a year and so ago when I first tried it. I like it now.

KDE on the otherhand always has given me problems, so even though I want to like it I just can't
>>
>>45325261

I though Fedora was enterprise grade?

Anyway, what's the alternative?
>>
>>45325287
runs fine on my thinkpad t500 from years ago.
>>
>>45325304
>Fedora
>enterprise grade

top kek.

The alternatives are:
>Ubuntu LTS, which is enterprise grade
>debian
>openSUSE
and some other obscure distros
>>
It's too good and easy to use out of the box. Gaanoo Linux isn't supposed to be that way.
>>
>>45325287
You know you can turn animations off, right?
>>
>DURR HURR MUH UNITY MUH AMAZON
Whatever happened to installing a minimal build and building to suit your needs?

Jesus christ it's like you've never deployed a Linux system.
>>
>>45325417
/g/ is retarded, I thought you would of knew that by now. Even with Unity ubuntu isn't bad, especially compared to distros like Fedora/Gnome.
>>
>>45325439
/g/ isn't one person though. The 95% rule applies though.
>>
>>45325388
yeah i turned everything off i could but permormance is still pretty shit and theres still stuff like blurry launch menu
>>
>>45324646
Shuttleworth is a jew who oppressed the powerful black race in the 1940s and drank the blood of niggers to regain his youth.
>also because of unity
>>
>>45324646
The problem with ubuntu is unity that is slow. But people like it, dislike it. Test, and have your personal point of view about it. Else, it's a good distro.
>>
>>45325543
Don't listen to this faggot. He makes sense and is calm and rational about his ideas!!!
>>
>>45325417
That's a horrible idea.
>>
Jewnity stinks

Which says a lot about the state of Linux GUIs. It's probably the most unified (hurrdurr) and non-schizophrenic DE out there and it still sucks.
>>
>>45325559
I deployed one on my work PC during work time in 2 hours. Your argument is invalid.
>>
>>45325543
/thread
>>
Slackware or die
>>
>>45325207
It's not 100% free. It have blobs. Maybe 90% :^)
>>
I use Kubuntu, since I like KDE
>>
And what does /g/ think about using ubuntu on a server?
>>
>>45326699
LTS versions are good. I use 14,04 on my cheap vps currently, havent noticed any issues.
>>
>>45324646
too mainstream.
>>
>>45325871
I mean they release 100% Open Source software, sperg.
>>
linux is muh sekret club
>>
>>45325207
Wrong. I use Linux full-time so get your facts right before opening your mouth, retard.

Secondly, that Amazon shit shouldn't have been included in the first place. Canonical *STILL* have not put so much as a warning in the installation that everything you type in the dash gets sent to them. You can be an apologist for Canonical all you like, but they have lost so much respect in the community due to their piss-poor record of ignoring said community and failing to deliver time and time again.
>>
>>45326787
>getting this mad at a pasta
Guess who's the retard now. xd
>>
>>45324774
Just install Debian then.
>>
>>45326899
>install debian
>kernel and software from the stone age
>upgrade to testing
>gnome breaks everytime i play fullscreen videos

f-f-fukin ubuntu newbs
>>
>>45325234
But Linus uses fedora
>>
>>45326928
Debian has Testing isos that don't break, and bugs get fixed faster in Sid anyway.
>>
>>45324646
Because Debian, Lubuntu, and CentOS exists.

If you like Ubuntu and can find a use for it, then go with it. All of us isn't using your computer, you are.
>>
>>45326989
Yeah but linus changes his distro every few months.
>>
>>45324646
-Slow on laptops
-quite bloated so difficult to troubleshoot issues
-bloated with annoying shit

If you have good graphic capabilities and have enough braincells to use apt-get remove, Ubuntu LTS is as solid as GNU gets.
>>
>>45324734
Unity was the main reason, I will pcrob. try Ubuntu Mate and see if that is a possible option.
>>
people complaining about unity: why dont you remove it? it is honestly not that hard. or if you dont feel comfortable removing it and installing something else, just use gnome flashback with metacity, something you can install in a few minutes that requires little to no configuration
>>
>>45324646
You should use Ubuntu. You can't access root so you won't be able to break anything horribly important, they've locked it down so you can't find anything to break even if you figured out what RM -rf / did, it includes Amazon search, so you can find things in a convenient environment you understand. I don't see why you shouldn't use it.
>>
>>45327173
APT is a bitch and if you try to remove the DE it takes Xorg away with it.
>>
>>45327095
i love linus tech tips their so funny xD
>>
>>45327237
>>>/out/
>>
>>45327241
i meant to remove unity, not gnome. gnome is still running under unity and you can completely remove unity without breaking anything
>>
>>45327281
I thought Unity was Qt-based.
>>
>>45327291
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_%28user_interface%29

i think a lot of people confuse this. unity is not really the DE, gnome is still running underneath it. its a shell for gnome and removing it will not break your computer, although you should install something else to use beforehand
>>
>>45324941
Unreliable? How so?
>>
>using linux on the desktop
>using linux for anything
>not using BSD for servers and networking
>not using windows or mac os x for desktop
>>
>>45327355
> not being stfu
>>
>>45327355
>pirating shit software
>>
>>45327329
No wonder Unity is so bloaty. Why can't Ubuntu make their own complete DE like all the others?
>>
so what's all this I hear about compiling the kernal?
i run defora on my laptop and im pretty sure ive never done anything like that.
>>
>>45327429
i dont know. i dont use unity and i think its pretty bad. if youre a new user on ubuntu, i strongly recommend you install gnome flashback session, 90% of unity processes will stop running and things will be very smooth. easy to install and configure, looks and acts just like gnome 2.x

later on when youre more comfortable, just remove unity and switch to xfce or something
>>
>>45327466
GNOME 3 is actually nice and Cinnamon is better than that, and both are in Debian Jessie's installer.
>>
>>45324646
Ubuntu is fine, my preferred DE is Gnome so I would just install the Gnome meta package or just install Ubuntu from the get go. It's just easy to install any DE on an existing build though.
Ubuntu has great support from 3rd parties which is a bonus.

Inb4 Ubuntu fag, I've been mainly a Fedora/Red Hat guy for the past 12 years, before that, Suse. My media centre runs Ubuntu because it has the best support from the XBMC project and it's fine.

It's only inexperienced amatures that promote looking down on popular distros, distros are all just collections of software packages with different default package choices, package managers and configs.
>>
Ubuntu is functionally just fine, as long as you're fine with Unity. Unity's come a long way since it first came out, and while it's not the most light or customizable, it works just fine.

The main reasons /g/ hates Ubuntu are

>used to have Amazon search integrated into the dash (equivalent to start menu on Windows or Spotlight on OS X) that sent every search you typed to Amazon or whatever. You were always able to remove it, but they put an easy graphical option in the Settings menu. Now, they've completely removed it due to the backlash.

>Ubuntu doesn't focus on aligning with FOSS principles. It includes nonfree software and allows you to download nonfree software from their repositories.

>Unity isn't very customizable and uses more resources than other desktop environments. In my experience, it runs fine on pretty much anything, though.

>It's really easy to use, which annoys some people on /g/ because it lowers the barrier for entry to Linux and takes away some of the elitism and exclusivity that was once associated with using Linux.

In my personal opinion, Ubuntu is great. It's my go-to distro. I like Unity. The software's pretty recent and it's quite stable from my experience. Most Linux software is either in Ubuntu's repositories/Software Center or is available in easy .deb packages.
>>
>>45328115
>It's really easy to use
Is it?
>>
I do like their concept of a LTS release, which is 5 years. That's even long than debian which I believe is 3.
>>
>>45328149
RHEL gets maintained for 10 years.
>>
>>45328193

Okay you fucking dumbass were we talking about redhat? No, we are discussing Ubuntu and their releases. I know RHEL is maintained for 10 years, and I don't need your fucking post to tell me that. Jesus christ, just go away already.
>>
>>45328193

Okay I'm very sorry anon, I didn't mean to be so rude. I'm very very sorry, I hope you are okay, God bless.
>>
>>45328227
5 years per LTS is quite sensible. Why else is it called a "Long Term Support"?
>>
>>45328146
In my opinion, yes. My grandmother seems to agree, too.

>grandma's computer
>HP Touchsmart (touchscreen all in one computer)
>Athlon II x2 240e, HD 3200, 4GB RAM
>Windows 7 installed
>tons of malware and toolbars, slow as hell
>fix it on a monthly basis, spend at least 3 hours a month unfucking it over Teamviewer
>make Live USB, drive to grandma's after picking up her prescription
>"Hey grandma, I have this software for your computer that I think you'll like. It doesn't get viruses and it's fast."
>"Sure anon, I'd give it a go"
>spend 5 minutes explaining how to get around in Unity
>she uses it off of the persistent live USB for a couple of days
>Back up her documents and pictures, install Ubuntu
>everything works out of the box, including touch
>install teamviewer just in case
>this was about 7 weeks ago, only had a couple of phone calls from her asking questions
>she's really happy with it
>tfw she was going to go out and get an iMac
>>
>>45328149
Debian's multi-level release system versus Ubuntu's simply supporting every fourth version is not a fair comparison.
>>
>>45325239
You can literally fucking move those buttons to the right of the window title.
>>
>>45328335
Same with my parents.
>>
Because it's as bad as Winblows.
>>
File: 1404958439015.jpg (8KB, 248x203px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1404958439015.jpg
8KB, 248x203px
>>45324646
I used it a lot but frankly Unity is a piece of shit, it's ok if you use meta key and search for what you want, but good luck using the mouse in the Dash, it's useless, far worse than the new Windows 8 menu.

Indeed in Windows you can be quick to do what you want whether you use a keyboard, mouse or both.
Every corner of the screen does something, not so in Unity you can't even pin the show desktop button to the bottom of the launcher or add separator between it and the other icons, no customization what so ever.
You have a single file manager window minimized, click on the icon in the launcher and it opens another window, I get that there is an apple expose clone and one can use that and pick the window, but this behaviour just ain't logical.
The whole top bar is a waste of space, it would have been better if they had a tool to add widgets and applets to it like the taskbar in Mint.

Cinnamon is a much better desktop environment.
>>
>>45328335
this gives me a lot of confidence as a complete and utter newbie to alternative OS
>>
It's worst than windows.
>>
>>45324646
It comes bundled with spyware and encourages the use of proprietary software. It doesn't respect your freedom or your privacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP8CNp-vksc
>>
>>45329504
Spyware is Unity, not Ubuntu

Other con is subjective, not everyone is a freetard
>>
>>45324646
Because GNU/Linux is garbage.
>>
>>45329559
>>>/out/
>>
File: 1416955670379.gif (903KB, 245x245px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1416955670379.gif
903KB, 245x245px
>>45329700
I'm from /out/
Why do you keep sending people our way? Please stop it.
>>
>>45329559
garbage + shit as I've taken to calling it
>>
>>45324747
Nice regex faggot
>>
>>45329784
They need the outdoors. It is the only way.
>>
>>45324646

It's the same as any other Linux distro, modular.

If you don't like something you can remove it.
>>
>>45324646
>first time linux user here
>tfw just installed debian earlier this week
>so far everything werks
>installed i3 and now ricing my desktop
wish I would have done this sooner. op, don't be afraid to dive into debian if you haven't
>>
>>45330235
>rice
>>
>>45330269
this
>>
>>45327429
>>45327466
Are you guys idiots? They ARE MAKING THEIR OWN DE. Look up unity8
>>
>>45330235
>rice
Go back to your containment thread pls
>>
>>45324734
The aforementioned people do nothing important and sit around ricing tiling WMs/chatting on IRC
>>
>>45330235
Ubuntu is debian sid patched for stability

With more software support and easy to get non-free drivers so you can actually have wifi out of the box
>>
>>45324646
unreliable
bloated
>>
>>45330437
>Ubuntu is debian sid patched for stability
thats fucking wrong you dumb asshole

its debian sid patched for ubuntu specific bloat which makes it less reliable

Ive had literally 0 problems with sid but constant problems with ubanto
>>
>>45330525
Sure you haven't. I've had no problems with ubuntu but as soon as I want to play something fullscreen in debian testing Xorg breaks. If anything debian is perhaps the worst distro in all of linux. And ubuntu somehow polishes that shit
>>
>>45324646
I use mint
>>
>>45328335
This is copypasta.
>>
>>45330417
>>45330269
>>45330382
lol, I'm dont even like anime, I just want to be high speed with my programming and have a nifty desktop you spergs. GNOME sucks at window management
>>
>>45330552
but ubuntu is the worst distro anon
and debian is possibly the best

not debians fault you use shitty nvidia
>>
>>45330562
>high speed
Any actual programmer realizes that speed all has to do with how well you think, not how your windows are placed.
>>
>use Xubuntu
>never have problems
>uninstall what I don't want

Need a little cheese with that whine, /g/?
>>
>>45330584
>not debians fault you use shitty nvidia
I use intel that works fine with Ubuntu. Face it tard, debian is a giant turd corrupted by poettering and red hat. But go on, keep sucking the systemdick. I'll be using one of the only distros fighting against red hat and poettering's evil ambitions to claim all of Open source
>>
>>45330525
>I don't have problems therefore no one has problems
>I'm right because DURRR

Ubuntu is debian sid patched for stability.

It is.

There's no real beating around the bush about it. That's what Ubuntu is.
>>
>>45330596
its annoying as fuck to move my hand from the keyboard to the mouse and back and then move the mouse multiple times a minute. with a properly configured window manager I can keep my hands on the keyboard for hours, only taking them off for the occasional soda sip and dab hit.
what's wrong with efficiency?
>>
>use Ubuntu for years
>No problems
>see this thread.

lol, apparently /g/ hates ubuntu.

Fuck them!
>>
>>45330649
>soda sip
>dab hit
>tiling WM

Do you do these things with or without a fedora on?
>>
>>45330626
>I'll be using one of the only distros fighting against red hat and poettering's evil ambitions to claim all of Open source
slackware?

btw idiot its easy as fuck to use debian without systemd
>>
>>45330649
(Alt+Tab)
>>
>>45330698

Most /g/tards hate systemd and have no idea what it does or how it effects them.

...

it doesn't.
>>
>>45330664
It depends when you are on. A lot of people like Ubuntu, it just so happens school gets out for thanksgiving so a bunch of underage ricers are on with nothing better to do.
>>
>>45330639
no, its a freeze of debian sid thats been ubuntified. thats all ubuntu is
>>
>>45330676
>implying fedora neckbeards have the social skills to acquire dank concentrate
lol no fedora here
>>
>>45330702
too late, already using a wm
>>
>>45330698
>btw idiot its easy as fuck to use debian without systemd
are you going to leave our that it's not recommended by debian devs to do this and that they openly shill systemd now? Keep on sucking poettering cock, faggot
>>
>>45330710

You're tempting me to install Debian sid and cinnamon.

... stahp. I have to use this laptop for work tomorrow.
>>
>>45330710
It's a freeze of testing, moron
>>
>>45330744
thats LTS idiot
>>
>>45330723
you poor fool
>>
>>45330728
I don't know why you would ever want to do this considering that sid is less stable than arch of all things. Ubuntu LTS is fucking great. They Freeze testing and then add in bug/security patches
>>
How can I monitor temps on xubuntu?
>>
>>45328335
Lmao, the copypasta
>>
>>45330744

prove it.

...wait, I forgot this was /g/.

Nevermind. Continue blindly spouting bullshit.
>>
>>45330752
LTS is simply every four releases of Ubuntu which is a freeze of testing, fool.
>>
>>45330558
It really isn't, though.
>>
>>45330752
When people talk about Ubuntu they mean LTS, that's like one of the unwritten rules, newfeg
>>
>>45330755
>sid is less stable than arch

That's a fine comparison of two different types of excrement.
>>
>>45330753
meh. at least the real fedoras and neckbeards in my cs classes now consider me some kind of wizard.
>>
>>45330763
you're an idiot. It's not my job to teach you the sky is blue. It's fucking common knowledge
>>
>>45330755
I'm on 14.10... no issues. Really just wanted the repository fglrx to be as updated as possible.
>>
>>45330777
I'm just stating a fact.
>>
>>45330787
>It's fucking common knowledge

brb, calling Papa Johns

Lets see if the guy at the counter knows.
>>
>>45330794
14.10 is nice, but the updated mpv repos seem to only work for 14.04 so that's why i stick to that
>>
>>45330803
>a fact

On /g/!? Archive this shit.
>>
>>45330809
I mean in the Linux community, but good to know you know as much about linux as some random nigger at papa johns.
>>
>>45330838
>knowing about linux = knowing what Ubuntu's base is.

I wasn't sure anyone gave a shit.
>>
>>45330864
>i-i-it's okay to be ignorant

I don't use arch, fedora, RHEL, debian but I sure as fuck know what software they rely on and their bases.
>>
>>45330755
>less stable than Arch
Even if this weren't complete bullshit, at least APT asks you before it takes your entire DE along with gnome-terminal.
>>
>>45330864
And I guess that what separates real linux users and ricer-skiddies
>>
>>45330889
DAILY REMINDER Debian didn't mention anything in their newsfeed about systemd breaking systems until an entire week after the problem was constantly being reported. DAILY REMINDER Arch and Fedora informed everybody the day that systemd was first used that systems could possibly break.
>>
>>45330931
No. Fedora informed everybody and Arch said what Fedora said. Don't pretend that Arch doesn't plagiarize every damn thing they do from Fedora.
>>
>>45324646
>UNITY
>>
>>45331671
Nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>45331671
pinkhippopokemon.png
>>
>>45324646
Better than Fedora but worse than Debian. that's how I feel about ubuntu
>>
>>45331743
Well you see, the difference between debian and ubuntu is debian sort of comes with software from 2005 while ubuntu is somewhat up-to-date
>>
>>45331761
But debian is faster and more versitle also more stable.
>>
>>45331761
>doesn't understand how Debian comes to be rock solid
>>
>>45331773
Well yeah, i guess that's what happens when you limit the functionality and refuse to include software that is from the current decade.
>>
Install Arch
>>
>>45324646
bot net, it's been confirmed ubuntu sends your data to amazon
>>
>>45331780
It's also not worth it for a desktop computer considering the kernel is from 3 years ago.
>>
File: 0625141339.jpg (21KB, 320x240px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
0625141339.jpg
21KB, 320x240px
>>45331799
How is it not worth it for a nigga like me who only got this here imac because it was dumped off here? How you guys like pic. took it on a 2007 camera phone that was also dropped off here
>>
>>45331798
Same is true with TCP/IP. TCP/IP sends your data to Amazon, the NSA, the CIA and the FBI.
>>
Because overheating my laptop
>>
>>45331798
>bot net
you don't understand what this means

>sends YOUR to amazon
No the information amazon receives is masked and the only people who can see it is canonical, which makes sense or else they wouldn't be able to integrate online searching into the dash. This whole online shit can be turned off with just one button, and isn't even included in the next Ubuntu release.
>>
>>45331825
lel, not a poorfag using a computer from 1995. I actually get updated driver support from each kernel release
>>
>>45331799
protip: testing
>>
>>45331860
>protip: more breaking than arch

no thanks
>>
>>45331874
>falling for the breaking more than arch meme
>falling for the arch being relevant ever meme
kek
>>
File: 1412293277775.png (407KB, 492x611px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1412293277775.png
407KB, 492x611px
>>45331874
>>
>>45326899
>be me
>install debian stable
>install openbox
>everything works fine, but is also ancient
>install wine to try world of warcraft
>ancient wine obviously doesnt run it like newer versions do
>look around for ways to install more recent versions
>see that jessie has a more recent version in the repos
>upgrade to jessie
>after a reboot everything is 1280x1024
>xrandr doesn't let me change it
>try to make a custom xorg.conf
>doesn't work
>maybe something broke during the update
>download debian jessie iso and install
>same problem
debian stable might be good but it's too old for me to use it as a main OS so I'll stick to ubuntu derivates for now.
>>
>>45331915
Ever hear of virtualbox for your wow?
>>
>>45331933
Why settle for 3 FPS when I can run it well outside on a Ubuntu derivate?
>>
>>45331874
>le epic arch breaking meme
lol maybe you should stick to windows
>>
File: Eye2019.jpg (46KB, 626x280px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Eye2019.jpg
46KB, 626x280px
>>45331798
Not if you only run the command line. Why would you need to use a window manager? The web is so much better on Lynx.
>>
Based on Debian. Worse than Debian. The same is true of Linux Mint and anything else that's named *buntu.
>>
>>45326928
That sounds like a gnome issue. I use Debian Testing w/ OpenBox and I don't have any issues, really.
>>45331915
Use SMXI to make sure your kernel and GPU driver are installed and up to date.
>>
>>45332082
>being ignorant on the internet
>>
>>45332098
Not being ignorant. I've tried them all extensively. After using #! I realized Debian was vastly superior. None of the Ubuntu derivatives work with SMXI, so I'd argue Debian is a lot more noob-friendly.
>>
>>45332118
>extensively
>>
>>45332131
I used Ubuntu and Linux Mint for months at a time. Briefly tried Xubuntu, but I'm really just switch DEs the hard way by distro-hopping between stuff that similar.

Do you have something against Debian or are you just attached to Ubuntu and bothered by what I said? I fully believe it's easier to use Debian after using GNU/Linux for a few years now.
>>
>>45332161
I'm using Debian Sid with Cinnamon and copy-pasted Mint themes. You're the one seriously defending your opinion against single lines of greentext.
>>
>>45332097
>Use SMXI to make sure your kernel and GPU driver are installed and up to date.
I tried updating with apt, confirmed that it was installed, it was probably just a bug in that particular version of Xorg.
Ubuntu minimal does the same thing as debian did and it does it better.
>>
>>45332236
At least post a nice-looking breast.
>>
Ubuntu is really not that bad. If you want something that'll, for the most part, just work, it's my go-to OS, especially for if I'm fixing someone's fuxed up computer with over 9000 viruses. It makes a nice stopgap til they can find their install media for whichever Windows they happen to use. Plus, I don't have to spend nearly as much time setting things up for them and teaching them, everything they need is already there, and I can usually just load up some youtube tutorial and they're good to go. Myself, I prefer using Debian, because the OS on its own uses less memory, but it still works fine with things like Ubuntu PPAs, with a bit of tweaking. That, and I'm more comfortable using apt.
>>
Ubuntu hate is just more paranoid/hipster BS. I'm running ubuntu with mate and it works great. I've had far fewer headaches with *ubuntu than any other Linuxes.
>>
>>45333385
I've had far MORE headaches with *buntu than any other distro. Please understand that your experiences are vastly different than anyone else's. Power users face a different problem. You probably don't even know how to change your DE/WM.
>>
>>45332220
Nope. I've used Ubuntu Minimal. Ran into countless problems, and as I've mentioned a few times now, SMXI does not work with any form of Ubuntu.
>>
Just installed Ubuntu to compile a little piece of Android shit with the Android NDK, it's fucking ridiculous how badly it worked. I didn't realize the NDK came with build-tools on Windows, so I'm just gonna use that.

But what the fuck, even bash has switched to some dash shit now so that wouldn't work. It was slow as shit, why have they bloated it out the ass with Unity and Compiz?

I'm curious to know what the Linux community has migrated to away from this turd, is it Fedora or Debian? I guess Debian would suit me better as I'm used to the Ubuntu command line. Debian is old as fuck though.
>>
>>45330974
...riiiiiiiiight...
>>
File: linux.jpg (214KB, 998x679px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
linux.jpg
214KB, 998x679px
>try ubuntu
>screen tearing
>try fedora
>screen tearing
>try debian
>screen tearing
>try manjaro
>screen tearing
>try any distro
screen tearing

When will Linux have proper graphics driver support?
>>
I stopped using Ubuntu in 2006 so I can't really offer a timely, relevant opinion, but it was a nightmare back then. It always made more sense to do a fresh install than attempt to upgrade between versions. The fact that I had to do that every six months was no fun. I went to Arch after that and had much less issues, despite its reputation.
>>
>>45324646

It's not aligned to my ideologies *tips fedora*.

Captcha: because whoteig
>>
>>45336872
>not using a compositor
It's all your own fault.
>>
>>45336872

Never because Linux belongs in servers for companies that want to save money.
>>
>>45336872
I'm using the open-source Radeon drivers on a Toshiba shitbook and have no clue what you're talking about.
>>
>>45330758
>googled it, no results relevant
hahaha this argument of calling anything that disagrees with your worldview pasta is getting worse every day.
you, sir, have just been discredited.
>>
>tfw you don't want to reinstall your distro every 6 months
>tfw Ubuntu LTS quickly gets too old with software
>tfw rolling release is nice but Arch is so new that things like Steam or proprietary graphics drivers don't even work properly

It's suffering.
>>
>>45337574
Debian Sid.
>>
>>45336872
>When will I learn to properly configure my drivers and/or X server
VSync bruh
>>
>>45324646
because linux mint
>>
>>45324646
Because it's not Slackware.
>>
Anyone using anything else than ratpoison should kill himself
> source: I use it daily on my work machine
> work
> WORK

> inb4 neckbeard

and also

/thread
>>
>>45339940
How do you browse 4chan without a mouse?
Thread posts: 202
Thread images: 9


[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.