[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey! Thinking about getting an e ink reader, I would prefer if

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (72KB, 770x433px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72KB, 770x433px
Hey! Thinking about getting an e ink reader, I would prefer if it have a light. I don't know much about these things, what does /g/ recommend?
>>
>>45320152
My Kindle is good. I have had it for more than a year with no problems.
>>
>>45320163
What kind of kindle? I was looking at the paperwhite, I heard kindle only reads one kind of file format or something?
>>
Kobo Glo
>>
>>45320152
Chinese Android E-ink reader
http://www.banggood.com/Boyue-T62-8G-Dual-Core-6-Inch-WIFI-Android-Ebook-Reader-p-942029.html
>>
>>45320391
Why? It's just as expensive as the name brand kindle. What advantage does the chinese have over the kindle?
>>
I have a nook touch. It's old at this point but you could probably find one for really cheap, and you can run android on it which isn't bad for like looking up stuff or reading news.
>>
>>45320211
How about you got to a search engine or god damn Amazon and look at what formats it supports you lazy piece of shit nigger.
>>
>>45320152
Kobo

Fuck buying a reader that doesnt support all the filetypes
>converting every ebook you download
>paying for any ebook ever
>>
One thing I have been curious about is why are e readers only 6 inches? Is that not small when you're reading books?
>>
Still using a Sony PRS-T1.

Firmware is twitchy as fuck. All sorts of derpy issues. Can't justify upgrading until it actually packs it in.

I hope there is a follow up to that HD kobo by then.
>>
got a kobo. it's basically a tablet, but its pretty cool, imo. read like 4 books on it this week, would reccomend, thumbs up, etc
>>
>>45320444
It's about the size of a paperback book
>>
>>45320152
Why do you hipster faggoy need a light? Do books have a light? Damn
>>
>>45320484
Thought it was more like 7 inches?
Hmm makes sense then I guess. I know the kobo hd is 6.8 though.
>>
i guess we can all agree that kobo glo is /g/ recommended ereader:

>hackable
>runs linux
>built like a tank
>supports all possible formats
>not botnet unlike kindle
>>
>>45320456
I have the HD kobo. In comparison to other readers it is expensive but it's damn nice.
>>
I have a Kobo Glo, and I really like it.
>>
>>45320521
Built like a tank, except for the display. But, replacing that is dead simple.
>>
>>45320551
can't confirm that, my glo is almost 2 yo and i've had 0 problems with it.
>>
>>45320427
this
>>
>>45320569
I managed to break the display, but it's easy to open up. The back is attached with plastic clasps, and the inside board and metal screen bracket are attached by screws. It's also possible to upgrade the internal storage by copying over the OS to a larger microSD card (internal storage is just another microSD slot).
>>
>>45320596
cool, i didn't know.
it sounds interesiting because you can also
>>45320576
run android on kobo and haveing more storage seems important
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231681
>>
>>45320611
Yeah, I was expecting the internal storage to be a ROM or something. But no, it's just an internal microSD slot, it's amazing.
>>
>>45320611
nook simple touch runs android gingerbread too. I bought mine for $30 off craigslist
>>
>>45320496
its really not bad when you're reading. any bigger would be too big IMO. its just the right size to slip in your back pocket or something
>>
>>45320682
6 inches is great for books. however i imagine larger ones are better for reading comics, but honestly i think that using eink for reading comics is not the best idea.
>>
>>45320635
it is indeed
I switched the internal storage of my kobo aura hd not long ago
>>
>>45320152
Kobo mini any day
>>
>>45320417
It's Android.
>muh root
>muh customizable
If you want to use ereader for reading, and reading ONLY, Kindle is the best choice.
PDF viewing, image viewing, web browser is shit on kindle
>>
>>45320493
Also ereader doesn't have true page flipping feel, the decreasing thickness feel when you approaching the last pages, The rough-y paper texture feel, superior text resolution, etc.

ereader =/= book
>>
>>45320755
Kindles have the advantage of available 3G models. It's a bit dumb and for browsing will only work for Wikipedia and such, but the idea of owning a Hitchhiker's Guide may be appealing to some.
>>
>>45320755
>kindle
>best choice

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/10/23/but-why-would-amazon-wipe-your-kindle-to-protect-amazon/

gtfo
>>
>>45320850
>gtfo
define "best"
>>
>>45320774
I know but my library doesn't have a lot of books I want to read and I can't just buy them everytime I want to read that's expensive as fuck and I can't read things I just kind of want to read only those I really want because of price.

It isn't that bad is it?
>>
>>45320869
why would i?
>>
>>45320152
First question is where do you want to get your books from and in what format.

Amazon: it's easier to get a Kindle Paperwhite, should be doable on Android-based ereaders via an app.

epub: it's easier to get something like Kobo Glo or Onyx AfterGlow (depending on what's available where you live), should be doable on Kindle via Amazon conversion service (not sure if the epub has Adobe DRM)

pdf: To be honest it's not a good format to read ebooks in. Can't properly resize text. Try to get epub or mobi (Amazon) instead. Other than that it sould (theoretically) work on all devices.

This should be obvious but you really want e-ink display. I did see some "ebook readers" with a LCD screen - those are pointless.
>>
>>45320876
you can turn off light on ereader.
but kindle paperwhite and voyage still have some light at 0% brightness setting.
>muh blue light from screen frontlight
>muh eyes
>>
>>45320908
Wait what? So if they have low light even on 0 what does that mean for my eyes? Is it even noticable?

What do you mean muh eyes anyway, do you mean I should get a reader without a light? I read most in the dark and if I didnt have to fiddle with shitty booklights, headlamps, or table lamps it would be great.
>>
>>45320774
ok grandpa
>>
>>45320152
Kobo, Kindle restricts you to mobi (and not the glorious epub)
>>
>>45320493
Because ereader without light is too dark and dont seem like page at all. Light makes it easier to read and you can read at night and in dark places, no need to use flashlight and shit
>>
>>45321133
Isn't it the most trivial thing in the world to convert? I mean it doesn't pose any problems does it?
>>
File: 1401561862760.jpg (60KB, 519x763px) Image search: [Google]
1401561862760.jpg
60KB, 519x763px
>>45320391

+1 for Kobo Glo, I have one and it shits on Kindles.
>>
>>45321158
No, but the Kindle can only read mobi, pdf and html; Kobo can read epub (which is standardised and more flexible) along with cb[zr], so you can read graphic novels (like manga or w/e).
>>
Kobo Glo.
>>
>>45321184
Ok I don't read manga or comics doubt I'll get into it ever either.

The kindle is cheaper than the kobo and has very good ratings, I was actually leaning towards that but I still don't know enough maybe about kobo to decide.

But converting ePub to mobi is no problem, no weird formatting or issues, not a long time to convert or anything too I'm sure considering 400 kb size files and such right?

The kobo glow has gotten very poor ratings and seems very flimsy and defect prone, not sure id go with that.
>>
>>45321158
It would be trivial, but there is this slight problem called DRM.
I know it was possible to strip Adobe DRM from an epub file (you used your device key file to decrypt the contents, then save the decrypted file).
I think there was an update to the Adobe DRM used and now I don't know if it's still possible to remove it.
Never had to deal with Amazons DRM so can't comment on that.
>>
>>45321220
Won't epubs you acquire from questionable sources so to say be stripped of drm anyway?
>>
>>45320985
>implying booklights aren't godlike and part of the experience reading a book
just stay on the comp you pleb
>>
>>45321156
>using flashlight at home
are you some kind of hobo or so? Or maybe third world peasant?
>>
>>45321233
Piracy is bad. I'd never dare suggest it. Remember: never attack ships to plunder their ebook stores. Even if you've been issued a letter of marque.
>>
If you consider anything other than a Paperwhite, you're a retard.
>>
>>45321210
it is just a matter of money spending philosphy.
you can go cheap and save money
you can go more expensive way and get quality product.

i recommend kobo glo as other fellow /g/entooman here
>>
Kindle paperwhite, then convert any book suitable for it with calibre.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.