[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /g/'s opinion on the increasing amount of technology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: fusion.jpg (72KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
fusion.jpg
72KB, 640x426px
What's /g/'s opinion on the increasing amount of technology in cars?
>giant touchscreen in the dash
>smaller screens instead of analog gauges on some models
>proximity keys with no real key blade
>some cars even come with 4G LTE hotspots standard now
>integrated telematics to report vehicle problems to the manufacturer
>now many manufacturers working on smartphone integration
Is technology in the auto industry going in the right direction? Or is the focus/types of technology being promoted wrong for the application?

I'd ask /o/ but they circlejerk about analog buttons and dials forever while going "muh miata" because, in their opinion, the board is not about technology in cars, it's about cars. So my thread topic focuses on the technology area.
>>
As long as cars still comeceith cigarette lighter outlets I'll be happy .

Now if they ship it and just have usb ports I'll be happier
>>
>>45313442
You wouldn't want a car to just ship with USB ports because many DC powered appliances couldn't adequately be powered by them.
>>
It's a cash grab. If cars came with the same tech we had 10 years ago, they'd be way cheaper now. They need to justify that they're still selling economy cars for $20,000
>>
>>45313507
/thread

Just more shit to break
>>
>>45313217
>giant touchscreen in the dash
distracting, and the GPS software can't be readily upgraded and is shit

>smaller screens instead of buttons
I fucking hate touchscreens in all applications.

>proximity keys
whatever, they're cool.

>4G LTE Hotspots
seems nice for sedans, wouldn't use it while driving

>telematics
whatever

>smartphone integration
fixes the inbuilt GPS problem, I'm not big on smartphones personally.
>>
>>45313507
>It's a cash grab. If cars came with the same tech we had 10 years ago, they'd be way cheaper now. They need to justify that they're still selling economy cars for $20,000

Cars do actually become less reliable and as such useful as they age you know
>>
I work at a car rental company, and I get to drive current year cars daily. I MUCH prefer analog controls. Can you imagine how shitty it is to have your radio, air conditioning, and gps all be reliant on one big touch screen? And these things freeze up pretty often. You have to restart the entire car like a shitty computer just to get it to work again. This is why I just take the bus, normally.
>>
Mixed bag. I like the modern audio systems and phone integration. GPS is nice but I'm rarely fond of the software. Key thing is alright but mostly a gimmick. Other digital controls outright annoy me because they're not done with the philosophy of "one tool for one job, do it well."

It's been a slow crawl toward nice ideas. I keep meaning to skip ahead and do it up my own way, but I'm too lazy and it'll get outdated soon enough.
>>
>>45313217
perfect way to kill you and get it to look like suicide take control over your car and crash it at top speed into a wall or drive it down a cliff
>>
>>45313620
This guy again, another thing that sucks about touch screen controls is that they have arbitrary speed limits. As in, if you wanted to turn the ac from hot to cold, you'd have to go "tap...tap...tap..." decreasing the temperature by one or two degrees each time. It's infuriating to someone used to just turning a dial in less than a second. Same goes for radio tuning. Some even LAG, and you end up over-tapping and having to waste MORE time backtracking. I'm only going 5 MPH in a parking garage, but I can imagine some poor schlub slamming into someone because he was fucking around with a laggy touch screen hunk of shit.
>>
>>45313906
Especially shitty since I have to reset the bass,treble, and midrange in every car since the people we rent to think bass MAX, mid +5 and treble minus 10 equals thug lyfe. Fuck this thread, it triggered me.
>>
>>45313906
If you're moving the car for five seconds in a parking garage, why do the temp controls matter? Most people set it to one temp and change them rarely too.
>>
Just get the fucking base trim of whatever car. They are usually the right balance of features and Analog knobs. Plus rear view cameras are really handy.

Bluetooth is standard now and is pretty handy:
> get in car
> leave phone in pocket
> phone pairs with stereo and continues music/podcasts right where it left off
>>
>>45313620
>>45313620
>I work at a car rental company, and I get to drive current year cars daily. I MUCH prefer analog controls. Can you imagine how shitty it is to have your radio, air conditioning, and gps all be reliant on one big touch screen? And these things freeze up pretty often. You have to restart the entire car like a shitty computer just to get it to work again. This is why I just take the bus, normally.

This. I am a car mechanic and i feel like im working in it. Fuck new cars and their shit electronics.
>>
>>45313982
I'm in it for a lot longer than 5 seconds, I have to clean up after these slobs. I have to crank the heat up since minnesotan winters are cold as fuck, then reset it back to 72 when I'm done so the next customer doesn't get blasted in the face with hot air/the deodorizer we spray into the vents. I have to reset the equalizer, temp, adjust time zone if necessary,eject any cds they forgot, cancel routing and delete route history, unsync and delete any Bluetooth phones....all of which use this touch screen control.
>>
>>45313998
It depends on the manufacturer but base trims are usually pretty fucking stripped down and are missing a lot of nice features. Usually the price difference is minimal too.

>Ford fusion S starts at $21.9
>midlevel SE Trim starts $23,445
>>
Meanwhile, Android auto thingy when?
>>
File: muh-dog.jpg (390KB, 2504x2465px) Image search: [Google]
muh-dog.jpg
390KB, 2504x2465px
>>45314108
I rent from Hertz every week and they just leave the positions on the controls as is, don't unpair any bluetooth shit, no CDs are ejected or navigation touched, etc....

Also, with digital touchscreen HVAC controls, at least in my Ford temperature affects the fan speed but only in the sense that it won't crank up the fan speed until the engine actually has hot air to provide to the cabin, so if you leave it on 72F it will start the car and only start blowing the air hard when feasible.

The Quad Cities is cold enough for me, I'm glad my client isn't in MN (some of my coworkers have to go there to work onsite at Target, Cargill, etc.).

I don't have a related pic, so here's a pic of my dog on my lap for no good reason.
>>
>>45314121
They previewed Android auto this week in a Hyundai at the Connected Car Expo. I'd expect major manufacturer announcements for support in 2015.
>>
>>45314165
Hertz a shit. I won't advertise my job on 4chins, but my employer has much more strict standards.
>>
Cars haven't legitimately advanced beyond a superficial level for the last 15+ years. They're still massively overpriced and haven't anywhere near tapped the real potential of fuel injection systems, which is unsurprising, given that carburetors never were either.

There isn't really any progress in automotive engineering. I view it as nearly solid state.

And if none of the number captcha actually work, why are they even there? They almost always return a "you fucked up the captcha" response even when they're right, and then move on to the pain in the ass inkblot type.
>>
>>45314245

Hybrids? Full electric cars? Toyota will sell a Hydrogen powered car in a couple of years.
>>
>>45314245
>implying plug-in hybrid, EV, and hybrid research hasn't increased dramatically
Automakers have to figure out ways to meet insane CAFE requirements while adding weight for airbags and safety shit somehow
>>
>>45313217
the tablet shit has got to stop, that shit's way too distracting
really dig the hotspot feature though
>>
>>45313545
Tell that to my '92 Camry that still works like new. The only things not working are the retractable antenna (doesn't retract) and a loose connection in the rear right door (no central lock, have to plug that back in eventually).
And mom put some dents and scrapes in it while it was hers.

>>45313982
Start car, it's -5 C outside, turn heat to max, have warm car after 5 mins, turn down heat to keep it at a nice temperature instead of cooking alive.

>>45314245
You're wrong. Twenty years ago, you got around 80 HP / litre in your average car, now you're at 120 - 150 HP / litre. The aforementioned Camry has a 2.2L I4 with 136 HP (100kW) (5S-FE for those who care), now can get a 2.5L V6 with 266 HP in a regular car (2GR-FE) or more than 300 HP (2GR-FSE) if turbocharged. All of this with lower emissions, higher efficiency and similar reliability.
What makes cars unreliable is the huge amounts of sensors spread all over the place - for the better and the worse.

Another thing that has happened is a finally successful downsizing of motors with higher reliability turbochargers (often tagged with stupid names like "EcoBoost" or something). With modern motor control electronics, it's easier to keep your average idiot from destroying the turbo within a few years (coking, cold start, etc).
>>
>>45314717
But he's talking about hotspot shit. Anyways, until the engine runs a few minutes at temp, you're not getting hot air. Also, -5C is laughably warm.
>>
>>45314821
I remember last year, that polar vortex shit. -20 degrees Fahrenheit, and wind, and we still had to be out cleaning in it. Our bottles of cleaning chemicals kept freezing, and the car wash nozzles had to keep beong chipped out, and cleaning the windshield was a no go, since everything would flash freeze upon touching that cold glass. Ice piled up 6 inches high at the exit to the wash because of the water dripping from the cars, sliding around.

9 bucks an hour. Thug life.
>>
>>45313442
Most cars today have USB ports

My Ford with Sync has USB but I pretty much only use it to slow my phone's battery drain while using Google Navigation, it's worthless for charging though. Bluetooth audio is super convenient though.
>>
>mfw $230 car bill

fucking highway robbery

I could've gotten a used 290x at that price.
>>
>>45313217
Most of that is just novelties and entertainment shit and barely scratches the surface of the tech inside a modern car. Just about everything in a modern car is controlled by a computer, to the point where we're about to have self-driving cars. There's millions of lines of code in your car, a lot of it for critical systems, and if shit glitches it's not only a bitch to repair but could also quite possibly kill you. And the best part is that most of it is unregulated, so we're all just assuming that manufacturers are taking due diligence in QA.
>>
File: iphone-in-car-tape-deck-article.jpg (31KB, 380x399px) Image search: [Google]
iphone-in-car-tape-deck-article.jpg
31KB, 380x399px
>>45313217
I still use cars with Iphone holders.
>>
I'm driving a '94 VR commodore, it has all the features I need.
I'd rather not have a built in GPS, I don't want to have to send the car back to the manufacture just because the software fucked up.
>>
>>45314245
are you retarded

a V8 20 years ago vs the V8's now is hardly a competition. In fuel efficiency, power output, durability, everything. you can't be that dumb
>>
>>45313217
>What's /g/'s opinion on the increasing amount of technology in cars?
I absolutely do not want touchscreen computers. I just can't imagine buying a car that has all the controls on a touchscreen computer. Physical controls are much easier for me to use.

Aside from that, I don't have much of a problem with technological advancement. The extra complexity and expense of modern cars can be a bad thing, but I welcome the improvements in safety, economy, and emissions.
>>
>Giant touchscreen in the dash
Distracting as fuck. Also whatever software it runs will be outdated pretty soon. I'd rather use my phone or a phablet.

>Smaller screens instead of analog gauges on some models
But I like the old gauges...

>Proximity keys with no real key blade
I don't trust any technology that runs "through the air" when it comes to opening locks and such.

>Some cars even come with 4G LTE hotspots standard now
Why would you even want that when ou can have 4G on your phone?

>Integrated telematics to report vehicle problems to the manufacturer
Could be useful, although even more useful if you could look at it yourself.

>Now many manufacturers working on smartphone integration
Bluetooth for sound along with media controls on the steering wheel and an "Okay Google" button would be nice...
>>
>>45314206

I rent from Enterprise once or twice a week, they never delete the pairings for any BT devices either from what I can tell. Never really been impressed with any car I have rented from them, but I can't say that I would put a lot of effort into cleaning a filthy car that will come back filthy too
>>
>>45316953
Enterprise a shit too. Bunch of floormat stealinf nignogs.
>>
I laugh whenever I see these new minivans with giant flatscreen TVs playing spongebob for their dumb fucking kids in the back seat.
>>
>screens everywhere

I am curious how this stuff ends up being allowed by NHTSA.

What happens when massive glare and you can't read any of this shit?
>>
>>45313217
I don't like all the big brother features built into cars now. They all have GPS enabled 24/7, even if you don't subscribe to the service. They all have remote shutoff enabled for law enforcement.
>>
>>45317179
>They all have remote shutoff enabled for law enforcement
Gonna need a source on that one. If it's true, then a capable individual could remotely and effortlessly cause a car crash, or prevent someone from fleeing.
>>
>>45317256
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/07/18/cant-just-shut-it-off-anywhere-onstar-stops-stolen-camaro-during-police-chase/
>>
>>45317363
>onstar
>GM-specific feature

>theblaze
>Glenn Beck news channel

Ok.
>>
>>45317363
Well, on the plus side, only OnStar touts that capability right now. Plus, physically disabling OnStar is trivial.
>>
>>45317401
>>45317436
Look, that's just the public feature we know about. I'm saying all cars made after 200x are required by the Patriot Act or some other draconian law to have a remote shutdown feature. Also, if the car has any kind of GPS built in, it's tracking you even if you aren't paying a subscription to any service.
>>
>>45317525
I believe it's possible, but I'm going to wait until I see proof of it's use to believe that it really does exists and is used by law enforcement.
>>
>>45313217
Certain things are nice like seeing the song name on the radio. GPS.

But I hate it when you need to touchscreen the climate control. Physical buttons masterrace.
>>
>>45314989
>>45315110
I have an 01 corolla. I put in a Kenwood radio with Bluetooh. Best fucking decision I ever made. You can say a lot car tech stuff is novelties and bullshit, and frankly a lot of it is. Bluetooth is not, that shit is great. My radio isnt a fancy touch screen, so it just has a small LCD display and otherwise analog buttons. Tells me who is calling, or the song that is playing, that it.
>>
>>45318091
Same here, threw a unit like the one you described in my '00 Ranger, car rides are way more enjoyable with my own music.
>>
>>45318158
Indeed, I get a lot of use out of the speakerphone too. Not having to hook up wires when I get it to play music or take a call is great.
>>
>>45313507
cars are expensive for 3 reasons:
Safety Standards - More Safety appliances mean more expense
Emissions Standards - R&D and rollout of emissions technologies is an expense
Average Loan Duration - cars are expected to last the duration of the average auto loan (5-6 years), they have to work perfectly (more or less) until they are traded in at the end of the loan. this is an expense.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.