[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux distro

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 7

File: Ospicker.png (493KB, 3000x1568px) Image search: [Google]
Ospicker.png
493KB, 3000x1568px
Hi /g/ !
Which Linux distro do you use ? Why not an other ?
>>
Mint. Facile à installer, à utiliser, c'est une Debian-based donc les dépôts sont ce qu'il y a de mieux, et je bénéficie du support d'Ubuntu sans avoir à me coltiner les merdes de Canonical.
>>
Imb4 install gentoo
>>
Xubuntu
Because i'm a literal Linux babby
>>
>>45274290
Too hard to say it in English ? :>
>>
Chakra. Because it just works for me
>>
>>45274290
go back to mexico
>>
>>45274303
Sorry I automatically assumed you were French from the space before the interrogation marks and mistakes
>>
>>45274359
Rofl, it's French, darling. The gayest language <3
>>
Installing funtoo right now.

I'm compiling my own custom kernel this time around. I'm scared.
>>
>>45274374
You're right !
But you won this >>45274359
Montpellier here.
>>
>>45274379
wouldn't that be greek?
>>
File: 1414033664940.png (125KB, 401x305px) Image search: [Google]
1414033664940.png
125KB, 401x305px
I like the social contract and community involvement of Debian. It makes me proud to use an operating system that isn't controlled by one major source such as Fedora but that is also popular enough to have a sizable user base to share experiences with and at times get assistance from.

Every operating system is a compromise but Debian, for me, is the best compromise.
>>
TidOS
Just Werks
>>
>>45274271
This is an astonishingly accurate map.

I fall under Debian Unstable. Went there from linuxmint; big change, but I like it.
>>
Crunchbang because I'm still trying to figure out how to install it without it shitting itself.
>>
>>45274442
jOSt Werks should be the name of something.
>>
>>45274460
Really? IIRC, #! just uses the standard Debian install, which is piss-easy.

I run arch linux because I wanted to try something new after using Debian for about a year and have yet to have the desire to try something new again.
>>
>>45274488

To be fair, I'm a total noob and tried mounting and installing it on a virtualbox machine. For some reason I seem to get errors, mostly telling me to "install the system", or "failure to run chroot, proc proc proc, etc..."

I dunno. I must be doing something obviously wrong and not realize.
>>
>>45274631
How to install #!:
Insert CD
Boot from CD
Install #!
Remove CD
Boot from Disk
You did it !! Yay !!
>>
>>45274631
If you're just trying to try it out, it might be easier to use a live CD/USB. I'd reccommend a usb since it'll be much faster than a CD, but not all BIOS's let you boot from USB I think. Not sure about UEFI.
>>
File: 1403814802395.jpg (185KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1403814802395.jpg
185KB, 1920x1080px
>>45274271
Slackware. I yused SUSE furst, cause my dad had a set of SUSE 8 disks, which I later upgraded to 10. After upgrading to 11 though, YAST and KDE started to fuck with each other's settings, and my graphics started fucking up (later found out that was the 6 year old integrated graphics finally burning out) I heard Slackware was good with older hardware, so I fired it up, and love at first command. The god tier documentation and everything being in curses were my favourites.
>why don't you use anything else
Ive tried others, crunchbang on a netbook for a while, but nothing else ever felt as raw and ready as Slackware does. And now everything else is infested with systemdicks (except based Gentoo, god speed openRC) so I doubt I'll be switching any time soon
>>
>>45274672
Archfag here, but I respect the hell out of anyone that actually uses Slackware.
>>
>>45274649
>>45274665

Cheers guise. I thought I would just be fine mounting the #! .iso and just installing with that. I tried making a live USB the other night, but for some my laptop wouldn't let me boot it. (Fujitsu A512, not too sure if it's a BIOS thing) But I'll give the live USB thing another shot.

... I guess I'll just keep working at it... (.__. )
>>
>>45274290
>>45274303
Not this guy, haven't taken french in two years, but here it goes.
Mint is easy to install, it's a debian based distro, which makes it nice, and I benefit from the support of Ubuntu without the load of shit that is Canonical.
>>
>>45274740
Now that it's translated, here I go.

I use debian sid. I use it because it's a rolling release, up-to-date, and it now has the MATE desktop in the package manager!
>>
>>45274729
Like I said, if USB doesn't work, try a CD. All BIOS's since the 90's support booting from CD's.
>>
debian because it seemed like a good idea 2 years ago and i can't be bothered to install and set up something different now. once in a while I try something out in virtualbox but until this stops working for me as a good productive solution I probably won't switch. I am not particularly bothered by systemd, I use testing so I have it already and the transition was completely painless and almost invisible. It's nice for a desktop user but I can undersatnd why some sysadmins don't like it.

If I had to pick another I'd probably go with arch or manjaro. I wouldn't consider Ubuntu another distro really just another flavor of Debian. So Arch because of the wide availability of packages. I'd have to figure out how to make it more stable so I could upgrade without worrying about breakage. Although there looks to be a massive amount of packages available for FreeBSD as well, I'm not sure how stable it is when using ports. Even though I use Debian testing it has been extremely stable for me, the only few issues that I had concerns about were easily avoided because apt-listchanges prompts me before installing anything that has open bugs or breaking changes with severity above medium.
>>
>>45274760
>it now has the MATE desktop in the package manager!
I'd just like to interject for a moment and point out that the MATE desktop is not included in the package manager (or at least I hope it isn't), but the MATE desktop is included in the official software repositories.
>>
>>45274717
Thanks, I've always wondered what it must be like to live on the bleeding edge. I wanted to do arch on my laptop a while back, and keep the desktop stable, but then I started hearing about shit red hat was pulling (pushing broken packages anyways so the arch community would fix their shit) and noped my way out of that idea
>>
File: mahnigga.jpg (35KB, 300x226px) Image search: [Google]
mahnigga.jpg
35KB, 300x226px
>>45274302
Co-sign. I'm not a l33t Arch or Gentoo fag either. I just want an OS that isn't Windows and I really can't stand Ubuntu's shitty Unity. All I do is watch Stallman videos and do old bbs/mud shit.
>>
>>45274772
FreeBSD isn't really viable. They have even worse driver issues than Loonix and the *BSD devs themselves use Macs.
>>
>>45274805
It's nice that you get to see some radical redesigns early (like KDE 5 + Plasma Next), but occasionally you get to say hello to glaring bugs (though for the most part, keeping your packages up to date is stable). Arch's most crazy on-the-edge changes have been making changes to the file structure, like moving all libraries into /usr/lib, and all binaries into /usr/bin, instead of having an /sbin/, et al.

THIRD TIME'S THE CHARM
>>
>>45274805
Fkin [citation needed]
>>
>>45274884
Is KDE5 as flat and awful as the shots I saw floating around /g/?

>instead of having an /sbin/
For what reason? That's almost as dumb as moving the service data from /var/ to /srv/, it just fucks with people who use partitions. Why must we move things, one arbitrary location is just as arbitrary as the last
>>
>>45274884
>but occasionally you get to say hello to glaring bugs

So far, the only bugs I've encountered using Arch stemmed solely from upstream. And the bugs have been few and far between, although maybe I'd run into more bugs if I used a more complex desktop environment.
>>
Debian. Debian everywhere. However debating whether or not to put Arch on an archaic business-tier laptop to complete the image. Then again Arch is awful.
>>
>>45274784
Yes, you are right. I fucked up.
>>
>>45274938
No, you really didn't, I was just being a pedantic ass.
>>
>>45274933
Yeah, KDE 5 is flat as fuck. And I'm not sure why exactly, because there are still fucking symlinks to match the original file structure.
>>45274934
Exactly, it's upstream bugs. Really, it just tellls you which devs and organizations are shit.
>>
>>45274955
>Really, it just tellls you which devs and organizations are shit.
>half of my bugs have been from the Linux kernel
O_o
>>
>>45274973
What do you know, I'm not wrong.
>>
>>45274768

zomg I had the live USB actually boot up! I had to go into my laptop's BIOS to disable secureboot 'cus of Windows 8 shilling by the manufacturer.

I'd still like to try to get it work on virtual machine though. But this is a good start.
>>
Compiled my kernel in literally minutes. What the fuck. I thought I'd be sitting here all night.
>>
>>45274672

>hurrr systemdicks

Typical Slackware user. Do you use fvwm as well?
>>
Windows 8.1
>>
>>45274933

>For what reason?

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge/
>>
>>45275004
That's nice.

Look up the definition of ``shill'' before you use it again.
>>
>>45274438
Exactly how I feel, but I also haven't been liking what systemd is doing to my testing systems. The interface for the init daemon is all kinds of obtuse and I'd rather save obtuseness for redhat and microsoft machines. I'm considering gentoo/funtoo, but I might just try out debian's OpenRC package. I don't use anything that depends on systemd so it shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>45274884

>Arch's most crazy on-the-edge changes have been making changes to the file structure, like moving all libraries into /usr/lib, and all binaries into /usr/bin, instead of having an /sbin/, et al.

This is not crazy, or on-the-edge, or an Arch change. It was first done in Fedora.
>>
>>45275076
I'm fine with systemd really and I use rhel at work so it is unavoidable. At home I have much less of a reason to care about my init system.
>>
>>45275076

What interface? What's obtuse about it?
>>
File: disgusting.jpg (5KB, 165x115px) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.jpg
5KB, 165x115px
>>45275004
>restrictedboot fucking with you for trying to install GNU/Linux.
Fuck you Microsoft!
>>
>>45275090
I didn't realize it was a systemd-motivated thing until I read >>45275053
>>
>>45274729
sounds like your iso is corrupted. check the hash against what's on the crunchbang website.
>>
>>45274717
Well there is also Salix OS which is comparable to to heavyweight like Arch, but based on Slackware.
And Porteus which is a very lightweight, complete, pre-customizable OS that can also be used as Live cd.

Both with the advantage of Slackware but without the difficult setup.
>>
>>45275053
>http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge/
....soo, this was all done cause it hurt their autism and to be compatible with solaris? I agree with half of it, most of what was in /lib should have been in /usr/lib anyways, but there is a stron reason for having /bin and /sbin separate.
YOUR SYSTEM CAN BOOT IF /usr IS ON A SEPARATE PARTITION AND CAN'T BE MOUNTED.
Holy fuck freedesktop, this is a new level of fucking the system. /usr is great to mount on a separate partition cause it's just userspace binaries, libraries, and documentation. This way / is a few MB and is enough to boot the system, and all your confic files are in /etc, so if you mount /usr, /tmp, /home, and /var on separate partitions you can reimage in a snap, or use nfs mounts for thin clients. But no, Red hat want us to only be able to do that with their PXE shit, so they fuck the whole OS for us. Thanks you fucks
>>
ubuntu. i first switched to it because it is babbies first linux. but once i learned enough about it and removed unity, i saw no reason to switch to anything else. it does exactly what i want it to and runs very well on my machine
>>
>>45275102
I don't mind using whatever for work, but at home I like to have something comfortable.

>>45275107
the interface to the init system. it's full of problemfactories, for lack of a better word. I think lennart calls them generators.
systemctl someshit.otherfuckingshit.holyfuckingshit -rtlf
trying to do anything always requires a fuckton of dicking about.

I like some of the stuff that systemd does, but for the most part I don't want all that junk on a fresh install.
>>
File: 1335412694067.png (2MB, 920x955px) Image search: [Google]
1335412694067.png
2MB, 920x955px
What distro should i install on my laptop?
I have never used Linux but might as well just dive in. Learning programming right now so that's what i'll use it for.
>>
>>45275317

Yes, that's called "learning a new tool." It doesn't make the tool obtuse.
>>
Is there a rolling release Ubuntu? By that I mean a handy and not fugly default config. Though it seems like Canonical's worked out the version upgrades so that they actually function without breaking everything. Or at least 12.04 to 14.04 worked well.
>>
>>45275204

>YOUR SYSTEM CAN BOOT IF /usr IS ON A SEPARATE PARTITION AND CAN'T BE MOUNTED.

That's what your rescue initramfs is for.
>>
>>45275343
I'd say linux mint, its the general "baby's first linux" distro. (that being said, im running mint right now)
>>
>>45275412
Maybe I'd prefer my system just boot, and skip the cosmetic makeover altogether
>>
>>45275354
Ubuntu isn't rolling release, so the closest thing for you will be something like Mint Debian Edition. It's basically Debian Testing with some Mint packages.
>>
>>45275455

It's not cosmetic. One of the really nice things the systemd guys are working on now off the back of this is factory resets and stateless Linux.

http://0pointer.net/blog/projects/stateless.html
>>
I forgot to select USB 3.0 in the kernel options or realtek codec support. Woops. Hopefully I didn't forget anything this time. If it fucks up again I'll use a generic kernel build I guess.
>>
>>45274271
deepin
>>
I use Windows 8.1. Can't wait for new release. Haven't had issues, no viruses and nothing.
>>
Which package manager is the best? Apt(-get), yum, dnf or zypper? And why? I'm trying to decide what distro to install next. I've tried all the major distros except for OpenSUSE and am mostly basing the decision on which package manager objectively is the best. Apt-get bricked my system once so I'd rather not use that...
>>
>>45274271
this pic is wrong after you go to linux it ask you paid or not? and the answers are yes or not.

Why the hell would someone specifically want a paid os?
>>
>>45274849
OpenBSD devs run it on their laptops.
But you have to be hardcore and not be scared of text-mode installers. THat means 99% of 4chan lamers can't into BSD. ;-)
>>
>>45274271
crunchbang then arch because debian repos are shit
>>
>>45275343
People buy ubuntu?
>>
>>45278695
Debian repos are amazing? What?
>>
>>45278683
>Stealing an Apple in the supermarket because you can have it on a tree for free.
>>
should I swtich my laptop to Fedora since I got used to Fedora on another laptop? Ubuntu seems to be able to run League of Legends pretty fine
>>
>>45278677
Slackpkg will never brick your system. Auto-dependencies are for children
>>
>>45274271
Arch is so perfect
>>
>>45275191
Slackware is a difficult setup?

It pretty much holds your hand through the entire thing aside from partition creation and encryption so long as you don't decide to be a dweeb and selectively install packages from the base. It's all there for a reason.
>>
Xubuntu, it just werks.

I tried Arch several times but I ended up spending all my time trying to get a tiling wm to not look like ass. I just need a dev laptop, that's all.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.