[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain to me why the fuck HDMI capture devices are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: black1.jpg (43KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
black1.jpg
43KB, 800x600px
Can someone explain to me why the fuck HDMI capture devices are so expensive? Is it some agreed monopoly to keep prices so high on them?

I tried looking for specifications on how to build my own but found absolutely nothing. Any ideas on what to do?
>>
they make shit ones too. stop looking for something that is good with a good user experience.
>>
>>45215685
I'm trying to find them
Also tried looking at Component ones but they don't seem to record HD or Full HD
>>
How's that gaming channel going OP. Are you one of those fags recording their tv with their phone?
>>
>>45215661
So you're telling me this expensive box doesn't even have toslink in?
>>
>>45215791
Surprisingly no. I just need HDMI capture for an event I'm holding to be streamed online. I can't justify spending £120~ on something I only need once.
>>
>>45215815
Did you check Ebay to get something used?
>>
>>45215832
or he could buy new and then sell on ebay and make up 2/3rds the cost
>>
>>45215661
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8CH-Super-MINI-NVR-HD-network-video-recorder-ONVIF-1080P-E-SATA-P2P-HDMI-USB-/161340673155?pt=US_Surveillance_Digital_Video_Recorders_Cards&hash=item2590a74c83
>>
it's a niche market which only has a few players in it.

Getting a return for all your software/hardware development costs is pretty hard unless you make a large mark-up on your products
>>
http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HW-150PVR-HomeWorx-Converter-Recording/dp/B00I2ZBD1U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416278492&sr=8-2&keywords=hdmi+tuner

next time try searching for a tuner or pvr, you get more devices that aren't "capture cards" aimed towards gamers who always get raped by price gouging.

also what kind of quality do you want, and what kind of device do you have available to connect to the stream? is it only a laptop or do you have something like a desktop with access to the pci lanes that you could plug something into? would be awesome if these help threads had more specific questions and use-cases.
>>
>>45215933

OP probably wants to record HDMI of his Xbox/PS3, maybe even cable box.. Not some fucking OTA digital converter.
>>
>>45215933
Was thinking a laptop for portability

>>45215976
Correct
>>
This topic has roused my interest as well. I've got a PC with access to the pcie slots obviously and that's what I'd like to record to. Any recommendations?
>>
Anything that would let me play on my laptop screen with no lag? I only have a laptop in my dorm and limited space, so I would rather use the 1080p screen from my laptop instead of getting some shitty 720p tv that I might not have space for it.
>>
>>45216108
No, video capture always has some kind of lag. Even TV straight video in has small lag.
>>
>>45216108
laptop has usb 3.0 and thunderbolt 2.0
>>
How difficult would it be to build your own device?

Are there any documents on how HDMI capturing works?
>>
>>45216288
You could, but it's not going to be cheaper than a commercial board, and it's nowhere near easy.
>>
>>45216512
Why wouldn't it be cheaper?
Surely the components can't be more than £70, especially if we're talking about making your own PCB and such
>>
>>45216288
>How difficult would it be to build your own device?

If you are a computer/electrical engineer, rigging up something with an FPGA board would be pretty easy until you need to worry about HDCP decryption, which even if you could find/generate a device key would be a pain in the ass to code the logic for.
>>
File: (´・ω・`).png (7KB, 284x284px) Image search: [Google]
(´・ω・`).png
7KB, 284x284px
>>45216694
I see

So a pain in the ass in general, then
>>
>>45215661
http://www.dx.com/s/capture+card+PCIe

My best guess is that the chips that they use are only produced in a limited supply, since the cards aren't exactly common.
The known brands that people buy things from can just bump up the price as high as they want because most people don't know how to get them from other places or don't trust Chinese shit that might not come with a manual/drivers.
That said. A lot of branded cards are a bitch to use anyway.
>>
>>45215685
Are you stupid? Why would you want a shit one?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.