[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stupid Questions thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 329
Thread images: 37

File: wallls.com_6707.jpg (65KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
wallls.com_6707.jpg
65KB, 1024x768px
pip install statsmodels

ImportError: No module named 'dateutil.tz'
ImportError: statsmodels requires pandas

I already have pandas installed though.
PS C:\Users\Josh> pip install pandas
C:\Python34\lib\importlib\_bootstrap.py:321: UserWarning: Module _markerlib was already imported from C:\Python34\lib\si
te-packages\distribute-0.6.49-py3.4.egg\_markerlib\__init__.py, but c:\python34\lib\site-packages\setuptools-5.4.1-py3.4
.egg is being added to sys.path
return f(*args, **kwds)
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): pandas in c:\python34\lib\site-packages
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): python-dateutil>=2 in c:\python34\lib\site-packages (from pand
as)
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): pytz>=2011k in c:\python34\lib\site-packages (from pandas)
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): numpy>=1.7.0b2 in c:\python34\lib\site-packages (from pandas)
Cleaning up...
PS C:\Users\Josh>
>>
>>44077263

Python related if you didn't recognize it at the start.
>>
How does one code a program that accepts the output of a pipe as input?

Eg.
 cat 1001_lines.txt | howmanylines 

How does `howmanylines' get its input (in, say, C)?
>>
The laptop I want to buy comes with Win 8.1 preinstalled and no license refund.

Should I pay an extra $150 for an OS that I'll wipe as soon as I get the laptop, or keep looking for a OS-free laptop with the same specs?
>>
>>44077775
There aren't that many vendors that let you cut the cost of the OS, but I've seen Dell laptops with Ubuntu pre-installed at a lowered price compared to the Windows models.
>>
Can anyone tell me how to flush my anus without toilet paper? There is water.
>>
>>44078597
Use the sink possibly. Do you have a shower head?
>>
Went does my phone not have /system/app/SystemUI.apk?
>>
How do people get away with producing shit code in school?
>>
>>44077633
argv
>>
Where can i get and install the original UNIX kernel?
Or are there any distros that use the actual UNIX kernel and not some descendant?
I want to check it out.
>>
Does xubuntu also send searches to amazon?
>>
File: System76_Gazelle_Ubuntu_3.jpg (31KB, 615x346px) Image search: [Google]
System76_Gazelle_Ubuntu_3.jpg
31KB, 615x346px
Does anyone here have experience with System76?

I've been considering buying the Gazelle Professional but I've found a lot of negative comments mostly concerning the support and return policy.

Also interested in any other Laptop suggestions.

Thanks-
>>
>>44077263
Why isn't there a DE that supports tags for files, and if there is, what is it?
It's gotten to the point where now, instead of giving my images actual names, I'm naming them by various things in the image itself, things I'd try and search for if I was looking for that specific image.

If there's a picture of a boat with various things going on, I'm calling it "boat_water_ocean_sea_island_palm_tree.jpg"

Fuck, I don't want to run a local booru, that's overkill.
>>
i've installed sxhkd and bspwm in archlinux on my virtual machine
~/.xinitrc contains
sxhkd &
exec bspwm

but bspwm doesn't open on boot
i'm new to linux, thanks for helping anyway
>>
>>44079926
pls
>>
File: 1402247232049.gif (494KB, 500x266px) Image search: [Google]
1402247232049.gif
494KB, 500x266px
So /g/, new to the Linux master-race, just installed Linux Mint 17. Was just wondering how I sync my iPhone library with my PC library. What software do I use and how do I obtain it? Assuming I need to add some repository or the like. All help is appreciated :)

captcha: veteran ampletn
>>
>>44080236
You could just copy the files... oh wait.
>>
>>44077263
I really like MuPDF, but it really annoys me that it doesn't show current/total pages. Please someone tell me there is a way to do it.
>>
>waiting for class to start
>oh, my computer broke! A screw fell out!

I don't have a question. I just needed a personal blog and didn't want to make my own thread.
>>
File: 1410159404570.gif (770KB, 127x189px) Image search: [Google]
1410159404570.gif
770KB, 127x189px
>>44080249
I'm pretty sure that went over my head. I tried just transferring the files drag and drop style and they transferred but I couldn't find the files on my phone.
>>
>>44080452

ayy
>>
File: Universal-USB-Installer.png (29KB, 450x351px) Image search: [Google]
Universal-USB-Installer.png
29KB, 450x351px
what the fuck is persistence and what do with bar ?picrelated
i'm reading the description on the page but i got the tard
>>
>>44080490
Persitency allows you to keep the settings you make on the Live Loonix.
>>
>>44080490
persistence lets you store data on the usb. e.g. normally when you boot from usb, shutting down will remove all the temp data, persistence will store it for next boot
>>
>>44080486
lmao
>>
>>44080452

You can't find the files because Apple considers their customers to be children, and thus hides your own files from you to prevent you from ruining something.
>>
File: 1410323083270.jpg (224KB, 1042x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1410323083270.jpg
224KB, 1042x1600px
>>44080552
>keep settings
installation settings? or like a restore point?
>>44080576
>store data
soo... 4gb usb, 1gb iso, if i put persistence up (max at 1.2gb), i'll have some space on the usb to store other stuff?
>>
I've got a CPU with 6 cores, each having 2.4GHz. GTA5 sys requirements are arround 3GHz-3.3GHz. Will it work with my CPU? How are multiple cores are handled by (modern) games?

Yes, I know
>AMD
>>
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220432
Is this computer worth the money for gaming, fucking around in gimp and browsing imageboards and shit?
>>
>>44080661
like a normal HDD.
If you create a new document, it will stay on your flash drive if you shutdown the OS.
>>
>>44080730
Why don't you get a custom build?
Which games are you referring to?
>>
>>44080759
TF2, fighting games and emulated games mostly
>>
>>44080776
Mostly it would be overkill.
My oppinion is, that it is not worth the money.
>>
>>44078807
I know about argc/argv but I don't see how they could handle an input stream...
Could anyone help me on this, please? I don't even know what to type in google.

>>44078597
>flush my anus
>There is water
Enema comes to mind.
>>
>>44080732
so, a gig of free space on an os installer usb.
is it recommended? or just some inconsequential perk?
>>
>>44080839
If you are using your liveCD only for reparation things, it is not necessary, if you plan to use it in "wild" you should use it.
>>
I need a good mechanical keyboard that has blue cherry MX switches and a numpad, can you guys help me out? I was gonna get a Vortex Poker II PBT with blue switches until I realized it didn't have a numpad
>>
>>44080873
Also, NO backlighting, and preferably either without lettering at all, or with letters that won't rub off easily
>>
File: 25856690.jpg (71KB, 310x282px) Image search: [Google]
25856690.jpg
71KB, 310x282px
>>44080858
wat is this wild you speak of
>>
>>44080899
the real life, outside the basement and so on...
>>
>>44077263
Where I can find a trusted activator for Windows 7 HOME Basic 32 bit?
>>
>>44080806

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
int i = 0;
for (i = 0; i < sizeof(argv) / sizeof(argv[0]); i++)
{
//Do something
}
return 0;
}

Or something like that. My C is very rusty
>>
>>44080920
righto. thx
have some motion design
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzGXSpmNHzc
>>
I've been a bit obsessed with keeping my windows as lightweight as I can(within reason) lately, and I got to thinking. Might installing a custom theme slow down my computer any, or might it even improve it slightly?
>>
>>44080964
what the fuck?
>>44080806
just google argc/argv you clearly haven't
>>
>>44080977
it will bload your OS, as the them would just be an overlay to the existing one.
>>
>>44081003
That's was my line of reasoning as well. Thanks.

Also. Is portable versions of programs better than non-portable?

It just feels cleaner to not have them installed if you get me.
>>
If I get a pre-built computer with bloatware pre-installed and I took the time to get rid of it all, would it still not function as well as a personally built computer with the same specs except without the bloatware?
>>
A lot of you guys may remember me, I was the guy with the faulty WiFi connection on the Sony VAIO. You guys told me to get the WiFi antenna fixed inside the lap top which is causing the no connection issue. I went to a store to get it fixed and they said nothing is wrong with my laptop so I called up Sony and they told me to update my VAIO care. After doing this nothing has changed I'm still not picking up WiFi and when I am it's 2 bar signal and right next to the router. I'm lost at what I should do. Any help would be grateful.
Thanks in advance
>>
So. My Notepad ++ just fucked up and now my document is all black "null"s.

Any way to recover it or am I doomed to my old backup?
>>
>>44080944
nvm found it
Win Loader by daz
>>
>>44081029
>took the time to get rid of it all
Just install a clean version of windows.
>would it still not function as well as a personally built computer with the same specs
Regarding that most people who pre-build computers are somewhat experienced I see no reason a DIY one would be better.

>>44081103
Maybe something is blocking the WiFi - does it work with other devices?
>>
Does anyone know how to get rid of this U2 garbage on my iphone music library? I know, I know, >iphone, but really fuck apple for trying to press shit music on me.
>>
When I write to the STDIN file descriptor (eg. write(0, "ls", strlen(ls));) why isn't the data interpreted as input?
>>
>>44081273
Show me a full example of your code and what you expect it to do.
>>
File: uzcIuh.jpg (316KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
uzcIuh.jpg
316KB, 683x1024px
>www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/04/the-best-browser-extensions-that-protect-your-privacy/
How legit is this article?
>>
>>44081273
Because it doesn't work that way. You don't have the writable end of the pipe, so you can't write to it.
>>
>>44080663
How about you just tell us what CPU you have?
>>
>>44081302

Wrap the headers and main around that function and that's it. I expect the data to be interpreted as input as it's written to the standard input file descriptor; i.e. have the same output as system("ls").
>>44081361
>Because it doesn't work that way.

Thanks for clearing that up.
>>
>>44081215
U2 is amazing you little shit.
>>
>>44080964
Doesn't work. Thanks for trying.

>>44080991
>just google argc/argv you clearly haven't

« The parameters argc, argument count, and argv, argument vector, respectively
give the number and values of the program's command-line arguments. » (wikipedia)

So for the command line:
cat stupid_posters.txt | howmanylines

we have (as far as `howmanylines' is concerned): argc=0; argv=[];
Well done, smartass.

Best I could find during my extensive querying of google was akin to
FILE *fp;
fp = popen("ls *", "r");

Which is not what I'm trying to do...

(But maybe what >>44081273 is...)
>>
What is the best virtual disk drive tool around these days?
I used Virtual CloneDrive for a while but I switched back to Daemon Tools Lite.
>>
>>44081418
stdin is not the same thing as a shell. Stdin is just a pipe, but a shell (like bash) is a program. Writing to stdin isn't defined anyway.

>>44081426
Amazingly shit. I want this off my phone as soon as humanly possible, before I accidentally touch one of those songs and go deaf.
>>
>>44081490
WinCDEmu
>>
>>44081528
Thanks. I'll give it a look.
>>
File: 4uLDVeCh.jpg (409KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
4uLDVeCh.jpg
409KB, 683x1024px
>>44081334
Anyone?
>>
>>44081571
>2013
Also look on the /g/ wiki, there's everything you need.
>>
i'm planning on going through LFS and specifically i want to do HLFS to learn about linux security

should I just do HLFS to begin with, or should I do LFS and then wipe and do HLFS?
>>
>>44077263
whats the largest drive i should get that wont have a failure?

from what ive seen /g/ doesnt seem to like 4tb or over. is 3tb alright?
>>
>>44081204
As in other connections? I can connect and get all sorts of other connections on my phone using wifi but I can't get any on my laptop, it's weird because it only just started happening a couple of days ago
>>
>>44081571
i dunno i use chrome

http://www.logicalincrements.com/firefox/
>>
>>44081633
You will always have to deal with hard drive failure when using a single drive. If that's not acceptable to you, set up your own RAID array.
>>
What is the difference between greasemonkey and scriptish?
>>
>>44081637
I meant your own wifi. If you can connect to it and use it via phone you can exclude that there's something wrong with it.
If so there migt be something wrong with your computer. Maybe something wrong with the settings? You said that you actually have a signal but weak, right? Maybe let some other technician look over it.
>>
>>44081637
Have you tried a Linux live recently?
Try rolling back the drivers
>>
>>44081651
That reminds me. What's the deal with Pale Moon? It soinds like a better version of Firefox.
So what's the thing with it? Is it worth getting?
>>
>>44077263
>system-wide install
>not using virtualenv
oh shit nigger what r u doin
>>
What can I use to search Instagram names without having an Instagram account?
>>
I have annoying problem with sound. Since i updated the graphic card (sapphire 7950 boost) drivers from 13.4 to 14.8 the speakers in my monitor don't make any noise any more. I'm not using hdmi audio, i have an on-board audio connected to monitor with provided cable. (3.5mm i think). I know it is a driver issue since if i uninstall the drivers it works fine. It also works fine on my brother's computer. Do i need different drivers or can this be fixed. The Drivers otherwise work just fine
>>
>>44082216
also forgot to mention the headphones work just fine on the same port
>>
>>44077263
What best custom rom for nexus 5? currently running cyanogen mod considering switching to paranoid android what should I do?
>>
>>44081692
bump
>>
>>44082296
As far as I know, Greasemonkey changes web pages and Scriptish changes the web browser.
>>
What was the most widely used Unix/Unix-like OS in the mid-90s? Excluding Linux if it was that big by then.
>>
i heard from someone that computer parts can still run at below the 'required' wattage demand.
is that true? and if that's so, how low can i go and watt (get it?) risks am i taking?
>>
>>44082342
I don't think that's correct, scriptish is supposed to be a GM fork.
>>
>>44082407
The "required' wattage is the safe point for your PSU, so you don't overload it frying your computer.
>>
Is it possible to change the aspect ratio of a monitor without the image being scaled?
>>
>>44081571
>>44081334
You should use Ad Block Edge on Firefox or AdBlock on Chrome instead of Ad Block Plus because of the money Ad Block Plus is making by allowing certain "unintrusive" ads to show
https://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads

Do not use Ghostery because it's run by a tracking company (they bought it) and track themselves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostery,_Inc.
>>
>>44082735
Is adblock edge still out of date?
>>
>>44082746
Dunno using Chrome as main browser at the moment so I haven't looked into that recently.
>>
File: Capture.png (37KB, 559x400px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
37KB, 559x400px
stupid question, but how do i fix this on a belkin n300 wireless system thingy
>>
>>44082776
I'd think it's something wrong with DHCP but..
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=doesn%27t+have+a+valid+ip+configuration
>>
>>44082776
we need to see the router configurations, log into your router and post screenshot of what you see. its probably fucked up DHCP
>>
>>44082175
bump
>>
Okay, so I'm taking second year of CS course. I already know java and python and the teacher says we have to learn C in two weeks to start the practices. Any recommendations? Books, examples... whatever.
>>
I must be the only person on the face of this planet that has this problem, because Google brings nothing up. I have installed POSReady 2009 on a computer and it ask me to give it names and other shit like that. When I go to boot the machine up, it asks for a 'user name', which I have not provided, and a password. So I use every single name I have provided and the password I provided, but it says it cannot log me in. What do I do?
>>
>>44082216
>>44082251
bump
>>
>>44083160
http://www.learn-c.org/

should be enough for the basic syntax and shit, you probably allready have a feel from programing through java and python

there are few books I would recommend... let me just check my library if I can find them because I dont remember the exact name
>>
>>44083173
Anyone at all?
>>
File: kowloon.jpg (284KB, 1024x723px) Image search: [Google]
kowloon.jpg
284KB, 1024x723px
Does MS-DOS 6.22 ship with a C compiler?

If not, is there a C compiler which works on DOS that I can throw in an .iso file and load in?
>>
>>44083298
>http://www.learn-c.org/
thx, yes, It's really just the basics of the language, and language specific stuff (pointers and system calls as the teacher said). Passing from OOP to funcional programming shouldn't be too much of a problem.
>>
I'm looking to buy a seedbox and many services include OpenVPN with their offers, but I'm not sure how that works. Is it like buying a separate VPN so that your internet activity remains hidden or does it only cover the seedbox activity? Also, seen people recommending feralhosting but their payment options are not good for me (google wallet and bitcoin), is ultraseedbox a good alternative for a UK fag?
>>
Is every linux distro worse than windows in terms of battery life?
>>
>>44083415
I think VPN is to hide seedbox activity with the addition that you can access the seedbox without your ISP knowing what you are accessing.
>>
What would be an ideal 120mm PSU fan replacement for my old Antec TruePower 650W PSU? The fan is making this annoying "clonking" noise, cleaned it and checked for anything wrong with it but seems it's just busted cause it's old. Apparently I need a PWM fan of some sort since the fan controls itself.
>>
>>44083427
Depends on how you use Windows. It can go both ways
>>
>>44077263

Does eclipse CDT suggest include in a C++ program if properly configured? like if i write std::map will it try to tell me to include <map>?

If not what IDE has this feature?
>>
>>44083459
I don't think replacing a PSU fan is that simple
>>
I just got a laptop form a relative, I am gonna install Linux on it but I would like to be able to revert it back to windows if I think of selling it or giving it away.

What do I need to do so that I can make a clean install later? Do I need to extract the W8.1 key? Do I need to make a list or a copy of the drivers?

Sorry for the stupid questions but I never used windows before, was raised on arch and debian.
>>
>>44083482
Seemed simple enough, it's just a 4-pin 120mm fan from what I could tell. Really rather not buy a whole new PSU since the old one works fine.
>>
>>44083482
depends how you want the final product to look. I just added a external larger fan and made the hole bigger with my dremel. Works perfectly but is ugly as fuck.
>>
>>44083438
So does it cover only accessing the seedbox or internet activity as a whole (would it be possible to only cover accessing seedbox and exclude other traffic?)

I will start living on a campus soon and I've been recommended to use a seedbox + VPN to cover my internet activity but saw many seedboxes include the use of VPN in their services, but do not understand what does that VPN cover. Will I have to buy a separate VPN and a seedbox or do VPNs offered by seedbox providers offer the same functionality as a stand-alone VPN?
>>
>>44083533
not sure thou, dont take my word for it.
>>
>>44083578
dont know sorry, I think they will work as stand alone too.
>>
>>44083480
should I use the open source or the proprietary driver for my graphics card to get more battery life?
>>
>>44080343
Anyone?
>>
>>44077633
Why are you using the pipe as input anyway?
>>
>>44083533
I replaced mine because it was noisy, Had no problems at all. Just be sure to get all the juice out of those caps!, you don't want to get shocked(just unplug and press the power button several times)
>>
>>44083578
email the seedbox provider and ask them.
>>
>>44082946
bump
>>
>>44083695
Alright. I guess a Noctua fan would work fine then.
>>
>>44083765
make sure the height fits too. There may be some PSU with thinner fans
>>
>>44083845
Yeah I checked that, it's just a 120x120x25 fan.
>>
>>44083526
If you make an image of the harddrive you can just mirror it onto the disk later.
>>
I tried using Dazloader 2.2.1 and it say that my partition is unsupported. What do I do now? How do I format it so that it is supported?
>>
I'm trying to rice up my windows so it looks less shit, and the start orb changer is crashing.

Anyone know how to change that shit manually?
>>
File: 1409896396237.jpg (124KB, 935x600px) Image search: [Google]
1409896396237.jpg
124KB, 935x600px
What's a good laptop for 400€ max ? Just for some programming, taking notes and browsing the internet.

Here's a nice picture for you.
>>
>>44083962
it has shit tons of bloatware so I don't wanna waste storage space to store a image full of bloatware.

If I extract the windows key will windows automatically install drivers, its a laptop custom made for a store chain.
>>
File: HeadphoneRepair.png (13KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
HeadphoneRepair.png
13KB, 800x500px
I'm trying to repair my HSA1's. But I'm not familliar with how things should be wired. I've made an image to attempt to describe my issue.

The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to find any indication of where these lose cables go. I'm going to replace the entire cord but I want to figure out what goes where first.

I've used a multimeter to try and figure out what each cord is but the labled cables in the image is all I've been able to deduct.
>>
>>44084196
>will windows automatically install drivers, its a laptop custom made for a store chain.
It will install the drivers it has for the computer. I can't tell you if all the drivers there are drivers that windows is distributed with.

I don't remember how you check this though. I think you go into the device manager and windows lables the drivers somehow if it's automatically installed.
>>
Just got my second 4TB WD Red drive in the mail.

To span or not to span, that is the question.

It's so much easier to span but if one fails everything fails. I hate choices like that
>>
just installed Yaourt on Arch.

What are some neato user repository packages?
>>
>>44084291
Cmon niggas take that decision off my chest
>>
>>44084291
better safe then sorry
>>
>>44084573
Mah niggah. Two separate volumes it is.
>>
>>44083970
Guys, I'd really appreciate some help. Apparently my HDD and motherboard are unsupported, or maybe the mobo is unsupported. It says something about a partition being unsupported. I'm trying to install Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, the mobo I have is an MSI Z97 Guard Pro, and apparently the UEFI won't allow the hard disk to be partitioned in a specific way.
>>
I recently RMA'd a power supply and bought a new Gigabyte Z77 motherboard.
I have a i7 2600, GTX 580, 16GB RAM and SSD/HDD. Those parts all worked fine on a MSI mobo before my PSU shat itself.

Now that I installed everything again the system boots up and keeps spinning just like it would do if the PC functions perfectly.

- My frontpanel power and reset switches don't function properly, though that could be a BIOS setting I think. I can turn the PC on, but can't turn it off with that same power button and the reset button does nothing.

- I get NO video signal at all. I have a DVI cable from my motherboard to the monitor, a DVI cable from my gtx580 to my monitor, AND a DisplayPort cable from the gtx580 to the monitor (My main cable when the system still worked).

The Gigabyte manual doesn't show a whole lot about the BIOS/UEFI because everything should just work. It feels like there is no BIOS on the damn thing at all, but I doubt that's true.

I'm at a complete loss, I've been fiddling for two weeks now and I simply don't have a fucking clue anymore.
>>
>>44083761
bump
>>
I use to have a Sony VAIO back in 06
I loved it but I bought it used and it wasn't in best conditions.. Anyway I'm looking for a new laptop, I'm not hacker or computer whiz but I'd like to play a few PC games Browse and simple shit, should I get another newwer Sony VAIO? Or something else?
>>
I asked last thread for a simple catalog program that isn't web-based, and someone suggested Thunderbird with Lightning.
I like it, but is there any alternative without email?
Apparently Mozilla used to develop a standalone version of Lightning, called sunbird, but development has ceased.
I'm downloading it now, but I figure I'd ask regardless.
I just need a calendar (with .ics support). I don't need email, synchronization, web based interfaces, any kinds of online features, just a simple offline program.
>>
>>44084750
I got a sony Vaio Pro 13.

I don't think that's what you're looking for though. The CPU ovearheats when I watch too CPU intensive anime (badly encoded maybe anime maybe?).

Right now I'm on a nice Lenovo, not too sure of the model, but it got a nice i7 and I pretty much use it as my media computer, but since I run Arch on it, I can't use it for school or vidya.

Lenovo always delivers.

Sony is nice if you got lots of money and they are sexy as fuck.
>>
>>44084795
They are sexy but now that you mentioned it heating up that was a problem with my last one too shit would burn me lol
Seems like lenovo is the goto here I guess its worth checking out
Thanks
>>
>>44084893
You're welcome, but know that I am in no way a computer expert. I recently started coming here a few months ago as I have always had an interest in technology.

I guess that sometimes you have to choose between sexy design with light weight, or heavy and clunky but very functional.
>>
>>44083375
Help?
>>
I use tint2 with OpenBox. The panel is displayed on both monitors but it only shows the application currently on the screen. I would like to have the exact same panel on both screens, not depending of the application location.

Is it possible ?
>>
File: Ls_command_result.png (56KB, 661x437px) Image search: [Google]
Ls_command_result.png
56KB, 661x437px
Why are there 2 Rs for directories? What's the second R standing for in
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root filename
>>
>>44085041

Do you have tint2wizard installed? I was just playing around today with the settings and I'm pretty sure I saw the option for that.
>>
File: 26effba5.png (12KB, 101x200px) Image search: [Google]
26effba5.png
12KB, 101x200px
What is your opinion on the phone lg g3?
>>
>>44085065
No, for now I'm only editing the tint2rc. I'll give it a try.
>>
Where do I start when trying to into home servers?

I recently got an old windows server machine I want to turn into a media server and learn on
>>
>>44085101
The perfect phone
>>
>>44084699
Take a picture of your guts, that's the fastest way anybody can help you.
>>
File: sapphire_radeon_hd_6950_oc_2gb.jpg (315KB, 1920x1621px) Image search: [Google]
sapphire_radeon_hd_6950_oc_2gb.jpg
315KB, 1920x1621px
Are there any video cards that support three monitors while at least one of them is dual-link DVI (1440 vertical px)?

My card will support 3 but they all need to be single-link.
>>
>>44084161
There's nothing nice about that pic
>>
>>44084699
Switched some RAM around, four different sticks that have been in all possible configurations.

>>44085132
Good idea, brb.
>>
>>44085054
d is directory
rwx is read write execute
that's for owner

r-x is read not write execute
that's for group, I think?

r-x
rest of users?

Somethnig like that

tl:dr;
the second r is part of the next triplet.
>>
>>44084022
I'll post a ricing guide in five ish hours if you're willing to wait. I also have the debloating guide. What version of Windows for the orb changer?
>>
>>44085167
And if it wasn't clear yet, think of it like this
d
rwx
r-x
r-x
>>
>>44085110
Learn linux.

I'm not joking. Windows is a power drain. And unless you like making our OS your life, stay the fuck away from Arch and Gentoo.
>>
>>44085176
Windows 7. It's kinda weird. I've used the orb changer before, but on this install it just decided not to work.
>>
File: 1410288190026.png (293KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
1410288190026.png
293KB, 500x600px
>>44085210
>our OS
>>
File: 1410376138515.png (57KB, 661x437px) Image search: [Google]
1410376138515.png
57KB, 661x437px
>>44085204
>>44085167

After taking a closer look and realizing that the dashes aren't separators it suddenly makes sense.
>>
>>44085233
Are you using the latest version? Check
>>
>>44085210
I installed Arch a couple of weeks ago.

Where is this thing that will make my life go away that everyone is talking about (serious question)?

I'm just using this as a media computer and general toying around with, as I have a Windows pc for school.
>>
>>44085277
>I have a Windows pc for school
That's why. Try running Arch as your only OS.
>>
>>44085316
That didn't really answer my question though...

I would love to try, but my school has blocked all internet access for anything but apple operarating systems and windows, to stop people from using their phones on the wifi.

No GNU+Linux for me at school.
>>
File: 1408188931284.png (230KB, 837x706px) Image search: [Google]
1408188931284.png
230KB, 837x706px
So I am learning C and to get a little experience with using Files I decided to write a little "spam" tool that creates a certain ammount of files with the message "WANKED!" on certain location.

I tried to write a function "gen_new_filename" that returns a pointer to an array, used to store the new filename. But I just can't think of a good solution atm.

Does anybody want to push me in the right direction?

Here is my program so far:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

char *gen_new_filename(char *fn)
{
char *new_filename;
//stuff
return new_filename;

}

int main()
{
FILE *stream;
char msg[8]="WANKED!";
int i=10;

while (i--)
{
stream = fopen("/Users/ns/Desktop/xsjzd6.txt","w");
fprintf(stream,"%s",msg);
fclose(stream);
}
}
>>
File: guts.jpg (2MB, 4900x1400px) Image search: [Google]
guts.jpg
2MB, 4900x1400px
>>44085132
Bad camera and bad lighting, but here goes.
>>
>>44085353

Also, I tried this to see if my function works but when I compile it I get pic related

char *new_filename(char *old_filename)
{
char *new_filename;
old_filename[23]='A';
return new_filename;

}
>>
So for awhile I hate an htc incredible or something like that and after awhile it started to heat up so much and it would reboot and get stuck doing that by itself. It also once deleted all my contacts and photos out of nowhere.
I've been scared to buy another android phone because I this. Is this common because I knew 3 other people as well that had the exact same problem with the same phone. I've been stuck buying iPhones because of this. Do other androids have this problem?
>>
File: 1340219905448.jpg (106KB, 478x357px) Image search: [Google]
1340219905448.jpg
106KB, 478x357px
Name(const char * = "");
char * getName() const;

Two questions. Why this "" assignment really is needed and what exactly this trailing type const is doing there?
>>
>>44085341
>my school has blocked all internet access for anything but apple operarating systems and windows
How would one do that? Would a windows VM in linux guest work around it?
Also sue them or something, how is this legal, why are you even there
>>
>>44085269
The start orb changer is v5 yeah, but I'm pretty behind on windows updates due to a factory reset, so I'll see if doing those fixes it.
>>
>>44085431
Sounds a lot like a hardware issue to me.

Even if it was not, it would most likely be fixed now.

I have had a couple of android phones, none of which have had any problems like that.
>>
I'm running Xfce. I want to use a utility program from Gnome. My understanding is that this is to be avoided since it'll bull in a bazillion Gnome dependencies. Does having a bunch of libraries around that are only needed for this one stray program have any drawbacks other than wasting disk space? Cause I have plenty of disk space, I'm okay with blowing a gig of it for convenience's sake.
>>
>>44085466
This is Norwegian highschool (not underage, I'm 18 and in my last year there now, because we have to year 13 here), not paying anything beyond my taxes. I have been thinking about writing a letter to the principal arguing that since education should be free here (since we pay taxes), they should not limit us to proprietary operating systems.

You think stallman would help me with this? Haha.
>>
>>44085449
This is C++ right? Prototypes of methods in a class declaration?
The trailing const means the method does not modify the class's properties.
The "" assignment is just a default value. It's the same as
Name(const char * name = "")
since in the prototype you don't have to give names to the arguments.
>>
>>44085353
>>44085424
And this is why C is a bad first language. Every new programmer seems to jump right into one of the language's hairiest bits - string handling.

Anon, read the fucking manual please. If you don't have a book on C, look it up on Google. I could help you, but then we'd be here for hours and I have slightly better things to do with that time.
>>
>>44085541
>since education should be free here (since we pay taxes), they should not limit us to proprietary operating systems.
That will only work if internet access is necessary. Otherwise they'll tell you to suck it up.
If it is necessary you would have a chance. Don't hesitate to email the FSF, that's why they exist. Maybe your local politicians might help too depending on how bribed they are.
>>
>>44085210
Yeah That is what I figured, but what flavor of linux should I use for this machine?

My only experience with linux is using mint for maybe a week or two. I wanted to use this server to help teach me how to use it
>>
>>44085585

I have several books about C, even one that describes it step by step for a beginner.

I thought my knowledge would be enough to simply modify two strings.

I allready wrote functions for string replacing, search and replace, etc and I worked with files.

And now I don't understand why this does not work anymore when dealing with files.

I was very confident with C until now, man
>>
>>44085608
It is pretty necessary, we need it to research stuff. The government gives out scholarships for (almost) free computers to high schoolers, I did not accept this and used my own money. This year was the first one I have ever accepted any grants from the government related to school, but that's probably another story for another board.

The local politicians don't have much to do with this, the high schools are under the region, not county (we elect people in county and state, I'm thinking about running for county next year). It was our school who did this, so they should be able to undo this.

I guess I have a lot to do soon then.
>>
>>44085499

I don't think it has any other drawbacks than the "wasted space". Which distribution are you on? For Debian based with apt, add the --no-install-recommends flag to make it cut a few more packages.
>>
>>44077263
Any good, dark gtk icon themes?
>>
>>44085712
Talk to the school, if that doesn't work raise a stink.
Region is still local.
>>
>>44085670

>install ubuntu
>set up samba for file sharing
>set up a torrent client and access with with a webUI
>set up other stuff you need for your server

That's all I can think of for what I would need a server. Maybe you can install a few other things for media streaming if that's what you want.
>>
>>44085745
I'm on Fedora, so I'm on yum instead of apt. The utility is Gnome's disk-management thingy, if it matters, because I want to set up my disks for auto-mounting and sharing without fucking around in fstab for each one
>>
>>44085800
Perfect, everything I needed to know

That will keep me busy for a while, thanks anon
>>
>>44085859

There was also a very basic infographic with information to create a very basic home server. I don't have it though, somebody else might.
>>
>>44085829

No idea then. Fedora's package info page looks like shit and it's hard to navigate. Couldn't even find a list of dependencies.
https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/gnome-disk-utility

Now compare that to Arch's info page:
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/gnome-disk-utility/
>>
>>44084217
middle is usually ground you have to solder and test the left and the right but usually the red is right and blue it left. Its pretty easy and good luck
>>
>>44085358
I can't really see your RAM. Can you describe? Sticks? GB? What slots are in use?
>>
>>44086022
In the pic is one 2GB stick of OCZ-1600 I believe. It's in DIMM1. I have two of those, and I have 2 sticks of 8GB Corsair-1866.
I tried 2 sticks in slot 1 and 2 (which are actually the 1st and 3rd slot), and one stick of both types in all 4 slots.
>>
how do you pronounce archlinux ? like ark-linux or arsh-linux ?
>>
Im running a small zotac id18 home server and just bought 2 hard drives and a 2bay esata case for them.

With esata only 1 drive shows up and under usb3 both of them do. How do i know if the esata port supports port multiplier? Am i missing a driver?
>>
>>44085762
bump
>>
>>44086141

After reading a lot of threads about that, apparently it's Arch as in arch, not ark.
>>
>>44086421

Just go to deviant art and look through the icons page or go to gnome look. Also, icons are toolkit independent, no such thing as GTK icons, it will work with everything.
>>
I have a USB3/SATA adapter (has the funky usb3 plug and everything), but when I plug it into my front port on my Define R4, windows tells me that it could be performing faster. I'm pretty sure I have the front ports plugged into a USB3 expansion port on my motherboard, and I'm plugging the cable into a blue port. Any ideas why I'm getting the "faster" notification?
>>
Is there anything similar to ecryptfs but for windows? By that I mean real-time rw encryption of selected directory, not whole partition or individual file. Must be OS-install-independent to work on portable storage.
Strength or possible backdoors don't really matter for my use case.
>>
What's the best way a computer-illiterate retard like myself could make webms without using ffmpeg?
>>
File: usb.jpg (15KB, 367x82px) Image search: [Google]
usb.jpg
15KB, 367x82px
>>44086504
This is what it looks like in device manager > view by connection.
>>
>>44086200
Pls halp
>>
>>44081428
>>44080991
>>44080806
>>44078807
>>44077633
>People being this retarded
ARGV ISN'T THE CORRECT ANSWER RETARD.

What Anon should do is read from stdin. Heres the bullshit example:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>

int main(void)
{
char myBuff[256];
int i;

printf("Enter a string: ");
while (fgets(str, 256, stdin) !== NULL) {
// do some processing
}

return 0;
}

I haven't done C in a million years, so I don't know the 1337 way to do it.
>>
Okay so I was gonna install Crunchbang! on my laptop today, but when I have the USB Flash Drive in the laptop it just becomes totally unresponsive and freezes in bootmenu.
If I remove the drive it let's me navigate through the menu, but if I then insert the drive again it goes back to the entry screen of the menu and is again unresponsive
What should I do?
>>
>>44086845
Fuck, it should be

#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>

int main(void)
{
char myBuff[256];
int i;

while (fgets(str, 256, stdin) !== NULL) {
// do some processing
}

return 0;
}

(Remove the printf line)
>>
Why is the R9 280 so widely recommended when it gets shit reviews?
>>
>>44079627
I have the galago ultra pro, it's okay.

It'll cost more than the laptop to send it back, if I needed to
>>
I'm trying to get random characters:
def rand_char():
index = int((float(ord(os.urandom(1)))/256) * len(string.printable)-1)
return string.printable[index]

Code to test it:
chars = {}
randString = ''
for i in range(1000000):
randString = randString + rand_char()

for letter in string.printable:
chars[letter] = randString.count(letter)

print chars

But the result is:
{'\x0c': 3908, ' ': 7837, '$': 11793, '(': 7904, ',': 7729, '0': 19445, '4': 117
05, '8': 7744, '<': 11593, '@': 7784, 'D': 7967, 'H': 11820, 'L': 11463, 'P': 77
22, 'T': 7814, 'X': 11735, '\\': 7742, '`': 7707, 'd': 11650, 'h': 7713, 'l': 77
43, 'p': 11861, 't': 11848, 'x': 7764, '|': 11730, '\x0b': 7891, '#': 7851, "'":
11735, '+': 11728, '/': 7844, '3': 7801, '7': 11716, ';': 7852, '?': 11779, 'C'
: 11776, 'G': 7922, 'K': 7831, 'O': 11726, 'S': 11586, 'W': 7871, '[': 11646, '_
': 11785, 'c': 7628, 'g': 11555, 'k': 11438, 'o': 11617, 's': 7719, 'w': 11669,
'{': 11752, '\n': 7931, '"': 11802, '&': 7805, '*': 7779, '.': 11853, '2': 11737
, '6': 11786, ':': 11849, '>': 11658, 'B': 8033, 'F': 11756, 'J': 11744, 'N': 11
575, 'R': 7766, 'V': 11660, 'Z': 11614, '^': 7678, 'b': 11777, 'f': 11654, 'j':
7848, 'n': 7780, 'r': 11935, 'v': 11691, 'z': 7703, '~': 11616, '\t': 11973, '\r
': 11854, '!': 7829, '%': 11838, ')': 11952, '-': 11757, '1': 7969, '5': 7820, '
9': 11859, '=': 7774, 'A': 11674, 'E': 11720, 'I': 7923, 'M': 7640, 'Q': 11672,
'U': 11695, 'Y': 7828, ']': 11674, 'a': 7860, 'e': 7695, 'i': 11533, 'm': 11882,
'q': 7750, 'u': 7775, 'y': 11683, '}': 7902}

Why are some characters more likely than others?
>>
>>44077633
Just read from stdin.
>>
>>44087001
Did you do an actual count of the characters? Quick visual scanning isn't particularly reliable for this sort of thing.

But also, any random that a computer without specialized equipment can create, is really just pseudorandom. Not to be used where getting a true random result is vital.
>>
>>44082175
Iconosquare
>>
>>44086687
https://github.com/WebMBro/WebMConverter/releases
>>
>>44087062
The test code generates string of 1M characters, the 'result' is a list of each character and its frequency in the string.
These are either in the 11k range or the 7k range and I cant figure out why
>>
>>44083673
It's pretty common to do stuff like that. For example, to count the number of files in a directory, you can do this:

ls -1 | wc -l
>>
>>44087001
What is ord()?
>>
>>44087087
Thanks, anon.

But are there any options for when I'm using OS X?
>>
>>44087221
Returns the integer ordinal of character
>>
>>44087221
Order() gives you the ordinal (number) value associated with a character in the given charset. For example, in ASCII the number associated with the space character is 32 (IIRC).
>>
>>44087319
Autocorrect fucked me up.
>>
Should I hide Windows Updates or suck it up and download? .Just went though system recovery.
>>
>>44087409
>system recovery
shit's already all kinds of fucked up so updates aint gonna hurt anything
>>
In c++ a top level const is when the pointer itself is const, correct? what is a low level const then? is it the pointer when it points to a const object? or is it the const object the pointer is pointing at?
>>
is steelseries /g/ approved?
>>
>>44087221
>>44087135
>>44087062
>>44087001 (Me)

Follow-up:
It seems that every fourth character is fucked, could the be an issue with int()?
>>
>>44086200
Anyone?
>>
What are the laptops with the least bloatware and still good build quality?
>>
simple question, I want to learn how to supercollider. should I learn some other programming language before doing that? or should I learn some programming language alongside supercollider? wich one, if any?
>>
File: geeeee.jpg (52KB, 599x459px) Image search: [Google]
geeeee.jpg
52KB, 599x459px
what doyou guys think of this build?
Is my power supply too low?
>>
>>44088025
its cool
>>
>>44087171
That will always be one off, because of 'total [number]' at the top. Use ls -1 instead.
>>
File: 1394504361554.jpg (59KB, 581x390px) Image search: [Google]
1394504361554.jpg
59KB, 581x390px
Looking for a new whiteboard, my previous one just broke. Needs to be sturdy as I will take it with me to classes, preferably of a higher quality, but cheap is more important. Does anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>>44088107
i just got a 3 by 2 foot one on amazon for like 25 i think it was universal...im happy with it.
>>
I get my new parts tomorrow. I'm reusing my old case which has some some rusty mobo screws, are those safe to use?
>>
>>44088131
I'll look into that brand, 2x3 is a bit big. It needs to fit in my backpack. My last was 11x17 I think.
>>
I will have my CM Hyper 212 next week. How much overclock can I get on my i5 4690k?
>>
>>44088402
Probably 4.3, 4.4 on average, 4.5 if you're lucky.
>>
i've installed bspwm and sxhkd on arch linux in parallels but can't change the resolution.
xrandr doesn't return the connected displays (LVDS/VGA)
>>
How exactly do input an hmtl doc into my browser? I'm using iceweasel
>>
Found an old T40 lying around. It runs fine, but the display has some issues. On startup, it'll work like normal, albeit with a slight red tint. After a few seconds, it'll go really dark, just barely enough to see the screen. I suspect this is a problem with the backlight. Does that sound right, and if so, how hard is it to replace one?
>>
What is a program for Windows that I can use to lock folders with a password, but not encrypt them? My brother sometimes uses my computer, but I don't want him looking in certain folders.
>>
>>44088589
It's the backlight. It's harder than you think, but its possible. You can get a professional to do it, attempt it yourself as the backlight are cheap as fuck, or just buy an entire new screen, which is easier to replace, but more expensive.

>>44088644
Make a separate account and set file permissions for him by right clicking on your folders and going to properties->security. Test it out and make sure he can't to your shit, then let him loose.
>>
>>44088578
What do you mean input?
For file hosted on github try "raw" button.
>>
>>44085485
Nope. Getting the same kerneldll exception. Doing some research, it seems that other people have similar exceptions, but not the same. It isn't an anti-malware or anything.

Maybe I should just use resedit and modify explorer.exe myself.
>>
>>44087997
You don't even understand what you just asked

>>44088025
Top of the line anon

>>44088179
No. Never use damaged parts, such as bend/damaged cases or rust/broken screws/standoffs

>>44088402
Enough to keep you happy

>>44088644
Bit locker
>>
>>44088644
>lock but not encrypt
Why? Encryption does not use any significant amount of processing power while it would protect against access from live-cd etc.
>>
I need to transfer crap from my old hard drive to a new one, but I don't want to risk altering the dates of the files or folders. Would a file manager help me with this?
>>
>>44088991
"Input" as in implimenting it into my browser, what do I do with the raw page? Or code per se?
>>
I just bought a 2012 Nexus 7 32GB for $130.

http://www.staples.com/ASUS-Google-Nexus-7-32GB-with-Wi-Fi-4G-Unlocked-Tablet/product_1266843

Did I do good?

For reference the tablet I have now is an original nook color from 2010.
>>
>>44087001
Probably some rounding error, just use https://docs.python.org/2/library/random.html#random.randrange
>>
>>44089026
kernelbase.dll*

Doing a sfc /scannow didn't fix it, so it's not a problem with the integrity of explorer.exe or kernelbase.dll. I'm completely stumped now.

I just wanted to change my start orb.
>>
>>44088644
>>44086574 here, just found out that EncFS is available for Windows. It does encrypt the data though.
>>
>>44089447
>addroid
rms_dies.gif
>>
>>44088644
put a password on your account and make a limited account for him to use
>>
>>44089568
>>44089084
>>44089031
These are stupid

>>44088697
>>44089591
These are not. You don't need a program anon. Just use accounts.

>>44089440
you save the .html file on your system and then open it with your browser like a file. Drag n' drop works on Windows.

>>44089408
idk about Windows, but there is cp -a which preserves dates and file permissions on Linux. If you use a liveCD you could use that. Why would dates be so important?
>>
File: slackware_logo.jpg (21KB, 356x356px) Image search: [Google]
slackware_logo.jpg
21KB, 356x356px
Can anyone post the Slackware "Get off mah lawn" wallpaper?
I cant find the full image anywhere?

>Also, Slackware doesn't even have systemd in its package list.
>>
If smartphones run on SSDs, why don't they boot within seconds?
>>
Okay so I was gonna install Crunchbang! on my laptop today, but when I have the USB Flash Drive in the laptop it just becomes totally unresponsive and freezes in bootmenu.
If I remove the drive it let's me navigate through the menu, but if I then insert the drive again it goes back to the entry screen of the menu and is again unresponsive
What should I do?
>>
>>44089724
>>Also, Slackware doesn't even have systemd in its package list.
Too new.

Apparently kernel 3.14 is too new for Debian. They haven't updated cpufreq or laptop-mode-tools to deal with the new kernel, laptop-mode complains about using ondemand. I use powersave though.

>>44089802
embedded flash drives don't have as well performing controllers or have slower custom buses.

>>44089813
Did you use Unetbootin or YUMI?
>>
>>44086879
And adding to that, R9 280 or GTX 760?
>>
>>44089865
I used win32imagewriter
>>
Can you just use a raid card for the extra sata ports and not put the HDDs into an array? Or should I use RAID?
Its for a media server/seed box/web server. I have 6 hard drives and they are not all the same
>>
File: door stuck.jpg (92KB, 836x526px) Image search: [Google]
door stuck.jpg
92KB, 836x526px
Referring to http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_control_fan_speed , I can't seem to control my fan speed on my X60.

I'm running Xubuntu 14.04, and I get this message when I try to set the speed:

bash: /proc/acpi/ibm/fan: Permission denied 

How do I fix this?
>>
>>44089894
By boot menu do you mean the Crunchbang installer or your computers boot menu?

>>44089950
You can buy SATA controller cards.
>>
>>44090014
my computers boot menu.
>>
>>44089697
A live CD is like a disc-based VM based on the operating system, right?
>Why would dates be so important?
OCD, I guess.
>>
>>44089974
sudo !!

or sudo [command]

or chmod /proc/acpi/ibm/fan so you can edit it or whatever.

I didn't click the link.
>>
>>44090251
It's not a virtual machine
A live CD is a full operating system run from external media such as CD/DVD/USB drive.
Alternatively, some live disk images can be loaded fully into RAM from the main HD so no external media is required, and the HD can be unmounted and used normally.

>Ubuntu, --toram boot option
>>
How do I make it so i can just type a name to run a script in zsh? instead of having to type out the file path? i thought it would be like
 alias pac='/home/nigger/pacman.sh
but doesn't seem to work

also how can i set it so i don't have to type my password for updates etc in terminal.
>>
>>44090357
Got it now. So where would I download one? Here?
https://www.linux.com/directory/Distributions/livecd
>>
>>44089894
maybe just a bad transfer. i would try mintusb . worked well for me each time i tried. you can just use VM oe live disk to use it. or if you can find the package yourself. i guess you probably could since ubuntu based
>>
>>44090386
Wat?
alias opisafaggot='/home/op/suckdicks.sh'

should Just Werk.

Also, to deal with the stupid sudo prompts, you can add NOPASSWD: ALL to your user/group sudo line, and install an alias that does this for you. Example;

#Assorted timesavers
syum(){
if [ $UID == 0 ]; then
yum "$@"
else
sudo yum "$@"
fi
}

sapt(){
if [ $UID == 0 ]; then
apt-get "$@"
else
sudo apt-get "$@"
fi
}

alias yum='syum'
alias apt-get='sapt'
>>
>>44090386
Add the script folder to your user path, and make the scripts you want to run executable.

$ PATH="$PATH:/path/to/scripts/"
$ export $PATH
$ chmod +x /path/to/scripts/*.sh

setting your PATH tells your shell where to look for executables
exporting it makes the change permanent
chmod +x makes the scripts executable so zsh knows that it can run them
>>
>>44090413
I usually use an Ubuntu live disk for that sort of thing. It's not very minimal, but it works out of the box on pretty much anything. There's also a lot of good documentation for it and any problems you have with booting.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
>>
>>44090482
You may want to note that this is user specific.
You won't be able to use this from a root shell or with sudo.

You could make a custom scripts folder in /usr/sbin and put your scripts there if you want them accessible by anyone.

eg:
>/usr/sbin/myscripts
>>
File: cp.png (25KB, 193x157px) Image search: [Google]
cp.png
25KB, 193x157px
>>44077263
What is a good ui-less PDF reader for arch linux?
>>
File: cycle.jpg (26KB, 400x394px) Image search: [Google]
cycle.jpg
26KB, 400x394px
Can someone please help explain what a modulus is in Java???
The " / " divides, but what does % do?

Say if I I had a large number (3,345,555) that is not cleanly divisible by another (9).
The computer cuts off the remainder if I use division, right?

What's this number that the modulus gives me? And can I add that number into the final, total number?
>>
>>44090427
/usr/local/scripts/pacman.sh: bad interpreter: /usr/bin/bash: no such file or directory
>>
>>44090334
no joy on my end, I'm afraid.
>>
>>44090580
zathura
>>
>>44090588
Um, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking but the mod operator returns the remainder of a division operation. As for cutting off the remainder, if your number is declared as a long or float, it will pretty accurately display the result. There is always documentation to look at...
>>
>>44090607
>what is
#!/bin/bash
>>
>>44090580
Define ui-less. Console is a ui too.

>>44090588
Do you want to have accurate float as result of division of int (by int)? Convert int to float before (as in within) division.
>>
>>44090014
I already have a raid card though
>>
File: sporty-spice-tattoo.jpg (16KB, 394x300px) Image search: [Google]
sporty-spice-tattoo.jpg
16KB, 394x300px
What should I look for in a bluray drive for a PC build?
Any suggestions?

Sporty Spice unrelated
>>
File: 1375667549864.jpg (22KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1375667549864.jpg
22KB, 400x400px
>>44090700
#!/usr/bin/env bash
>>
>>44090083
Sorry, away for meal.

So your computer freezes with the media in? More than likely it is trying to boot from the USB drive, but there is not the correct bootloader on the USB. Try using another program to put the ISO on your USB. Otherwise if you do some googling you can find a step-by-step for installing the right bootloader on the USB drive, and you can just unzip the ISO on the drive.

>>44090580
>PDF
>Console
You do know that you might not be able to read a large percentage of PDFs without the ability to render images right?
>>
>>44090607
The #! line at the top of the script tells the OS what program to use to execute it.

That message says that /usr/bin/bash doesn't exist.

Find out where bash is really located, fix path in script, try again.
>>
>>44089447
>>44089576
It's orders of magnitude better than getting an apple product...
>>
>>44090855
>>44090771
By Ui-less, I mean no toolbars, scrollbars, etc. Just the PDF itself.
>>
>>44090670
I'm looking at my learn Java book but it's just baffling to me.

I'm trying to figure out the a city's population in a year from the birth and death rate in seconds.

Since there are 31536000 seconds in a year and a birth every 9 seconds and death every 13 seconds, do I use the modulus to add the remainders with the division results into the total population?
>>
>>44090863
well. i do use zsh. does that make a difference or what? sorry new to all this. i got a few things working fine. just trying to get an alias for scripts
>>
>>44090880
pdftotextconverter | less
>>
>>44090863
okay. this is my script path
/usr/local/bin/scripts/pacman.sh

feel free to just spoon feed me on what to exactly type on this. once i take a bite. i wil know for good. my .zshrc is in normal localtion /home/usr/
>>
>>44090882
No, as long as you have the number of seconds declared as a float, you can just divide by nine and thirteen. Subtract the number of deaths from the number of births and add it to the total. I would write it out but I'm doing homework right now.
>>
>>44090947
No no no, inside of that script, the first line will be something that starts with #!

It's pointing at something that doesn't exist.

Find out where bash is located on your system, update the first line of the script to match, and it should begin working.

DO NOT change it to zsh. Zsh and bash are sorta-compatible, but if the author of that script had wanted it to be in zsh, the line would say zsh. Shit can break subtly.
>>
>>44090947
Your script should look like this.

/usr/local/bin/scripts/pacman.sh
1. #!/usr/bin/env bash
3. <the rest of your script>

The first line tells the shell interpreter to look though your PATH for bash, then execute the script using the bash executable that it finds.
>>
>>44090607
why not just /bin/sh?
Most Linux OSes have it, it is linked to whatever your standard shell is. In Debian's case it's dash, in Arch's case, it's probably bash.

>>44090880
Okular => presentation mode

>>44090882
No... you wouldn't need the remainder, throw it out.
pop + sec/year*(birth/sec - death/sec)
Just make sure they are floats then cast to int to drop the percentage the percentage.
>>
>>44091029
If the author of the script had wanted /bin/sh, the shebang line would say
#!/bin/sh

There are bashisms that don't translate to sh and shisms that don't translate to bash.
>>
Anyone tried Freedom to pirate shit? I want to pirate some Zen Pinball HD tables because I already fucking bought them on PS3 and I'm not going to give them anymore money.
The process looks rather shady. I need to install and older version of Zen Pinball and change my language to russian. Would this be safe?
>>
>>44091076
/bin/sh is a soft link to bash and is guaranteed to work as it knows the correct path to the bash exec. sh isn't available in any distros repos that I know of, so its always a link to the standard shell which is usually bash or something close enough to bash to work (like dash).
>>
followed this guide:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1949637/web-domain-unlimited-web-hosting-free.html
But 3 days later my .tk address just doesn't bring anything up.
The only real step after signing up everywhere is copy pasting those values from one to the other (which I did) so why does it not work?
>>
>>44091014
ah rlgiht. where would bash be? just did a fresh netinstall 2 days ago. what's the norm spot?dumb question. yes indeed
>>
>>44091219
>>44091101
This will work

Otherwise it would be in /bin/bash or /usr/bin/bash
>>
>>44091299
>#!/usr/bin/env bash
okay. so found bash.

this is exactly what I have
#!/usr/bin/bash
alias pacman='/usr/local/bin/scripts/pacman.sh'

I'm mean tot give the path to the actual script right? must be doing something wrong here.
>>
>>44090855
I'll try a different bootlader, thanks anon.
>>
>>44091299
>>44091127
thanks folks. finally got it working. I guess I had to move /bin/bash to /usr/bin/bash and moved my script to /bin/bash confusing i guess. but won't be a problem anymore. thanks again
>>
I want to bind my Home folders (Music, Downloads, Pictures etc) to a partition that holds that kind of stuff.
Since symlinking sucks dick, this is the answer I came up, its adding lines to the rc.local file so it looks like
#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.
mount --bind /Data/Documents /home/altair/Documents
mount --bind /Data/Downloads /home/altair/Downloads
mount --bind /Data/Pictures /home/altair/Pictures
exit 0

However, since systemd took over, rc.local is a no no.
Now, typing this in the console (this is the actual phats for my partition) actually does what I want:
sudo mount --bind /mnt/67E207562466BAA9/Documents /home/antergy/Documents && sudo mount --bind /mnt/67E207562466BAA9/Music /home/antergy/Music && sudo mount --bind /mnt/67E207562466BAA9/Pictures /home/antergy/Pictures && sudo mount --bind /mnt/67E207562466BAA9/Downloads /home/antergy/Downloads

But as I dont want to have to type this every fucking system restart. How do I do it automatically?
>>
I'm a new user who's gone from Xubuntu to openSUSE.
One thing that has particularly stood out to me on openSUSE is that for many programs I have to give the absolute path when executing them through sudo.

How do I go about fixing this? I want to simply be able to do:
sudo ifconfig
for example, rather than:
sudo /sbin/ifconfig

Secondly, when sudoing it asks for the root account's password. On Xubuntu the root account is disabled and I enter my own password to sudo. How do I achieve that same behavior?
>>
best free dns with a cool domain?
>>
>>44077263
How can i see what files are being used in the linux cache? I know how it works, this is mainly just for interest

>>44091969
make sure they're in your $PATH, sudo shouldn't be any different to executing normally. man sudoers, you'll have to change the config file to change the password it asks for
>>
whenever I try to post any image today, it says "upload failed". Is this happening to anyone else?
>>
>>44077263
tes tes
>>
Would a forum start to lag if there is one big thread with a bunch of GIFs being posted in it? One forum I frequent just shut down a thread in which everyone posted a lot of GIFs because they said it was causing the site to lag...doesn't make sense to me, GIFs are not very big.
>>
Are there any practical reasons why one would define class constructors and members functions outside of the class body (C++, if it matters)?
>>
>>44091732
So, before 4chins shitted itself, I tried to post:
nvm, I got it, just added some lines on my fstab to do the bindings required there.
Lines added right below where my partition mounts:
/dev/disk/by-uuid/67E207562466BAA9 /mnt/67E207562466BAA9 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
# shit below this comment was added by yours truly
/mnt/67E207562466BAA9/Documents /home/antergy/Documents auto bind 0 0
/mnt/67E207562466BAA9/Downloads /home/antergy/Downloads auto bind 0 0
/mnt/67E207562466BAA9/Pictures /home/antergy/Pictures auto bind 0 0
/mnt/67E207562466BAA9/Music /home/antergy/Music auto bind 0 0
>>
how do i into assembly. what assembler should i use.
>>
What's best program for videocard stress test? Not a game per say, but something that can benchmark my card against the manufacturer's claims.
>>
If I wanted to encrypt a file on linux then decrypt it on windows whats the best way?
>>
what's the name of the mexican kid with all those facebook posts claiming to be a hacker?
>>
>>44092309
FurMark

>>44092367
Compress it with a password
>>
>>44086020
The left doesn't have any trace of solder on it at all though, plain copper. That's something that also confuses me. Seems like I'm not intended to touch that because it wasn't like that originally.
>red is left blue is right
Doesn't tell me where I should solder the lose cables though.
>>
File: Untitled.png (201KB, 626x291px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
201KB, 626x291px
There's no reason I can't combine Corsair Vengeance Low Profile with the retarded heat spreader ones, right?
The two kits are the same size, same latency, same voltage, same frequency, I'm 99.9% sure they're exactly the same kit just with a different metal heat spreader glued on.
I ask because I want to upgrade to 16GB and my heat sink will not accommodate a second kit with spreaders.
>>
>>44092620
You can mix them
>>
>>44092628
Cool, thanks.
>>
If Nyaa is down does that also mean that magnet links dont work?
I got a 62mb file of all magnet links from nyaa and tried pasting this one as a magnet link into my torrent client:
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:1ec02d14a75a6896dd1334fa0e74ba7250dc1b1c&dn=[Hien] Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! - Depth of Field ~ Ai to Nikushimi Gekijou Phase 1 [BD 1080p H.264 10-bit AAC][3E52CDB2].mkv&kt=English-translated Anime

It adds it to the queue and its got the proper title and all but it inst downloading anything.
Am i using magnet links incorrectly?
>>
Anyone able to recommend what cygwin packages I should pick? I'm not really sure what optional stuff I want, other than the development stuff. I've used a linux distro before, but never really thought of all the packages that go into it.
Thread posts: 329
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.