[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weekly reminder to stay safe and injury free while you're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: A00064F05.jpg (8KB, 200x175px) Image search: [Google]
A00064F05.jpg
8KB, 200x175px
Weekly reminder to stay safe and injury free while you're training. if you do any of these bad habits, please cut them out asap.

> side delt lateral raises your pinky finger up. You may have heard from people to "pour out the water jug" when you raise the weight because it stimulates the side delt more. This is 100% untrue. The feeling you get from it isn't the side delt activating. It's your shoulder joint being crushed. Do this exercise with your thumbs above your pinky to keep your shoulders healthy.

> dumbell shoulder presses with your arms out at your sides at 90 degrees. this shortens the range of motion and puts you at a risk of injury when the weight is too heavy. The proper way to Db press is with a hammer grip. Elbows tucked at your sides, and touching the delts on every rep

> benching with too wide of a grip. wide grips are dangerous and should really only be performed when preparing for a competition. For longevity, you want to bench with a close-medium grip. half a hand width outsise of shoulder width is ideal. Touch your upper abs rather than your lower chest. Always use a pause. And pec involvement is identical between close and wide grip.

> lat pulldowns with a wide grip. despite popular beliefs that a wide grip equals a wide back, a close grip width actually gives a greater ROM and better stretch on the lats. It's also safer for the shoulder

> DIPS. not everyone is made to do dips. If you ever get a popping sensation in your chest when you stretch it out or a stinging chest pain after you do a set of dips, STOP DOING THEM IMMEDIATELY. You're going to get a sternum tear and then will not be able to lift for the rest of your life.
>>
>>42893027
I always imagined pouring water from a jug filled to the brim so I used to actually do it correctly .
>>
>>42893027
Reasonable advice. Good job OP
>>
>>42893027
thanks for this OP. Have any more?
>>
File: dipcity webum.webm (2MB, 800x994px) Image search: [Google]
dipcity webum.webm
2MB, 800x994px
>>42893027
fuck you im still going to do dips
>>
>>42894143
impressive how that back has absolutely no definition
>>
>>42893027
hammer grip shoulder press will work the front delts more?
>>
>>42893027
Can't agree more when it comes to dips. I only do them for sets of 15 / 20 with only my bodyweight. Fuck weighted dips.
>>
>>42894181
im pretty fat and i have kyphotic posture despite doing tons of rows, deadlifts and rear delt flies

thanks videogames
>>
>>42893027
My left shoulder is currently in agony due to lateral raises and but I'm not doing them "pinky-up".
Why?
>>
>>42894143
whether you're made for them or not, you shouldn't drop that deep on dips (stay at 90 degrees). Snap city in 3..
>>
>>42894221
you can do weighted dips just fine,
few things to keep in mind

a) slow and controlled descent ESPECIALLY when you aproach one rep max weights, dont try to divebomb dips you WILL rip your shit apart
b) play around with your forward lean a bit
c) grab the pipes close to your body and get tight across entire body, squeeze the shit out of handles

>>42894243
i am doing them like this for a year now, never had issues with shoulders
DID have discomfort in sternum after doing 1RM attempts when i divebombed, so i stopped doing that and only going 8 or more reps now so that basically means high frequency bodyweight dips

One cool trick to make bodyweight dips harder is to wrap a miniband on your traps and to the handles, so you have band pulling you down in lockout part of the rep, making it super hard on triceps but bottom part of rep being easy and stress free for shoulders
>>
>>42893027
>> side delt lateral raises your pinky finger up. You may have heard from people to "pour out the water jug" when you raise the weight because it stimulates the side delt more. This is 100% untrue. The feeling you get from it isn't the side delt activating. It's your shoulder joint being crushed. Do this exercise with your thumbs above your pinky to keep your shoulders healthy.

People do it to keep the opposite from happening, because it will automatically happen as you get tired and that brings the front delts into play, which you don't want. It's not going to ruin your shoulder joints if you don't overdo it (only slight tilt).

>The proper way to Db press is with a hammer grip.

No, just no. That is not the proper way to do it.

> benching with too wide of a grip. wide grips are dangerous and should really only be performed when preparing for a competition.

This I agree with. Better chest activation, but at the cost of damaging your front delts.

>> lat pulldowns with a wide grip. despite popular beliefs that a wide grip equals a wide back, a close grip width actually gives a greater ROM and better stretch on the lats. It's also safer for the shoulder

Citation needed. With your logic, seated row is an amazing lat builder. Wide or medium grip = more lat activation; close grip = thickness.

> DIPS. not everyone is made to do dips.

Just like not everyone is made to squat 500lbs.
>>
>>42894143
Don't lean over, tose needs to be upright and don't go as deep. Terrible form. You're performing the triceps dip all wrong.
>>
>>42894444
torso needs *
>>
>>42894390
>>> lat pulldowns with a wide grip. despite popular beliefs that a wide grip equals a wide back, a close grip width actually gives a greater ROM and better stretch on the lats. It's also safer for the shoulder
>Citation needed. With your logic, seated row is an amazing lat builder. Wide or medium grip = more lat activation; close grip = thickness.

Tell that to Dorian
>>
>>42894444
>>42844444
checked
>>
>>42894444
here have a you
>>
>>42893027
>got the chest pop and sternum tear doing chinups
>have had tight ribs for 4 months and can only meditate and pray

h e l p
>>
Great new advice anon, any more?
>>
>>42894236
after the damage is already done, its hard to fix
You probably strained it from long periods of time of bad form on something else Like bench and now any kind of side raise hurts it
>>
>>42894390
Hammer grip or slightly out more is best for Db press. You get the entire range of motion. Pressing with arms out at your side fucks the shoulders to Hell if you touch the Db to the delts. Athlean x did a video on this.

Wide or narrow bench grip doesn't Change the per activation. People just think it does because it uses the tricep more.

> Citation needed. With your logic, seated row is an amazing lat builder. Wide or medium grip = more lat activation; close grip = thickness.

Thats actually completely wrong.

A narrower grip hits the lats more. Do a DB row. You keep the Db close to your body with your elelbow tucked, not out to your side, as you raise it and it hits the Lats extremely well. Wide grip is upper back traps and rear delts.
>>
>>42893027
>>> DIPS. not everyone is made to do dips. If you ever get a popping sensation in your chest when you stretch it out or a stinging chest pain after you do a set of dips, STOP DOING THEM IMMEDIATELY. You're going to get a sternum tear and then will not be able to lift for the rest of your life.
This.

Fucking this.

Dips are the biggest meme ever.

I can't even bench any more without it feeling like my chest is about to tear apart.
>>
>>42893027
I can personally say this is true, side felt raises and dumbbell shoulder presses fucked up my shoulder until i corrected posture
>>
>>42893027
People unironically do heavy side raises not realizing how retarded it is.

10lb 6x20 side raises master race. I'm enjoying my healthy shoulder joints and comfortable workouts. Coupled with high rep low weight facepulls, you should never get a shoulder injury from your pressing movements (proper form obviously).
>>
I'll contriboot
Don't use mixed grip for heavy deadlifts. You probably shouldn't use mixed grip for any kind of training, but mixed grip for deadlifts A) introduces the potential for bicep tears, B) introduces trained imbalances, and C) is weaker than the much safer hook grip.
Vid related, notice how every deadlifter only tears the biceps on their supinated arm.
https://youtu.be/pZgxkE-2QAw
>>
>>42893027
> dumbell shoulder presses with your arms out at your sides at 90 degrees. this shortens the range of motion and puts you at a risk of injury when the weight is too heavy. The proper way to Db press is with a hammer grip. Elbows tucked at your sides, and touching the delts on every rep
What do you mean elbows tucked in? Like pushing the weight up in front of you instead of on the sides?
>>
>>42893027
Fucked up what I assume are my rotator cuffs by doing daily 100-rep behind the neck presses for two weeks. It's just dull pain, plus my wrists from doing reverse wrist curls.

They're getting better (I assume), but is there anything I can do to make sure they heal correctly? I've used two wrist braces to get my wrists to the point where they don't feel like bloody murder when I bend them.
>>
>>42895424
i can do 20 reps with 30lbs on side raises. I consider that "light"

the fuck are you on about, you don't even lift, yet you're trying to speak about injury prevention? You haven't even fucking started yet
>>
File: addtext_com_MTQwMjE3ODc3NjI.png (796KB, 1024x749px) Image search: [Google]
addtext_com_MTQwMjE3ODc3NjI.png
796KB, 1024x749px
>>42895879
>doing daily 100-rep behind the neck presses
>>
>>42895924
I was on a heavy cut, but still wanted to get my lifts in for that confidence boost, so I ran a century lifts with just the bar. The neck presses were easy desu, the squats made me want to kill my self with how boring they were.
>>
>>42895963
this is so beautifully pants on head retarded that I might consider it for my next suicide cut just for the lulz. not 100reps cuz fuck that, but knocking out 2x50 with short rests I could see myself trying
>>
>>42895985
Aw shit son, I'm not that retarded. I had rests, it was 100 total. 1x20, 2x15, 3x10, 4x5. Depending on the lift.
>>
>>42893027
>If you ever get a popping sensation in your chest when you stretch it out or a stinging chest pain after you do a set of dips, STOP DOING THEM
My sternum pops every time i stretch it but ive never experienced pain from dips. Should i be concerned?
>>
>>42896005
ooooooh ok. that makes more sense then, kek
>>
>doing lying leg raises
>lower back cracks uncomfortably when lifting off the ground
>wtf, everyone does this, i'm probably just lacking mobility
>finish set
>back feels funny couple of days after

did i fuck my shit up? i can bend over fine
>>
Occasional reminder to shrug your shoulders upwards at the top of the OHP and do your rotator cuff and connective tissue work.
>>
>>42896042
Work on mobility if shit like that happens.

Probably short femoral muscles.
>>
File: POo212ayjUw.jpg (21KB, 354x286px) Image search: [Google]
POo212ayjUw.jpg
21KB, 354x286px
what about pain in the neck/shoulder area during dips?
it goes away pretty fast after
>>
File: back.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
back.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
>>42893027
Any anons out there with fucked up backs? Has anything you've done to mend it actually helped?

I can't even bulk anymore cause when I go up even slightly in weight I get a nagging pain in my back.
>>
>>42893027
> DIPS. not everyone is made to do dips. If you ever get a popping sensation in your chest when you stretch it out or a stinging chest pain after you do a set of dips, STOP DOING THEM IMMEDIATELY. You're going to get a sternum tear and then will not be able to lift for the rest of your life.

fuck I've been doing dips for like 10 years and that's always seemed normal
>>
>>42894236
Do external rotations, also try to move your arms a little forward and not straight out to the sides to save your joints.
>>
>>42896560
Rebuild your back with high rep low weight hyperextensions.
Fixed my shit 100%
>>
>>42896560
I don't know if my back fucked up per se but I've had lumbar pain most of my life. Few minutes of arch holds and hollow holds seem to help me sleep better.
>>
>>42896560
Do lat pull downs or weighted hangs off bars.
>>
>>42895424
You can go heavy safely man. I do perfect form til I get to 45 pound dbs then I start swinging them.
>>
>>42895840
it is sort of dependant on structure. But basically your palms should be facing each other or a little bit out from that with the eblow close to the body. The same protocol for Db chest pressing. Most people hold them way out at the side and do 1/4 reps.
>>
>>42896009
Yes. Stop doing dips immediately. You don't have the right structure for dips. Even if theres no pain from doing dips, you're still taking a huge risk
>>
>>42894444
No
>>
Why is that Mike Mattei
>>
>>42897480
Do you have any medical evidence or expert advice backing this up?
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.