[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I into fitness /fit/? Could you guys give me any tips

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: me.jpg (36KB, 625x350px) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
36KB, 625x350px
How do I into fitness /fit/?

Could you guys give me any tips on how to go from a completely sedentary lifestyle to losing weight and gaining muscle? What might be some of the best exercises for me, and how many reps might I want to do for each? I'm literally retarded when it comes to exercise. The most exercise I've ever done in my life is running a mile or so on the treadmill at a time, and I haven't even done that in months.
Not even that overweight, I'm just a lazy fuck.
>>
>>42280955
Read the sticky you fucking newfag idiot.
>>
>>42280965
I took a quick look, didn't read it yet, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't go as far in detail as to explain how many reps you should do. I've heard everything from you should only do x number of weights a day, to you should lift until your muscles ache slightly, no matter the number of reps. Like I said, I'm a literal retard when it comes to exercise. I need all the help I can get.
>>
>>42280955
>how do I into fitness

Look into routines on the Internet, find one you like and start going to the gym consistently. I honestly don't know why I'm even responding to this as you obviously won't start based on this thread but oh well
>>
I need a routine thats more akin to physical rehabilitation, after cutting I'm too weak for most suggested starting routines and end up injuring myself.
>>
>>42281038
There are 2 different rep ranges to consider:
1) Strength (3-5 reps per set)
2) Hypertrophy (8-12 reps per set)
Hypertrophy is for gains, makes your muscles defined and pop. Strength should be a no-brainer.
>>
Move, go for runs, do abs, anything, just make your self sweat
>>
>>42281165
So lighter weights but doing more reps makes your body more defined, but might not make you as strong as lifting heavy weights for a lower number of reps?

So basically since I'm starting out I should probably do a bit of both, but lean towards heavier weights, I assume?

>>42281185
Good advice considering I haven't been doing much of this the past few months, lol. Anything is better than nothing, that I know myself. Even just 20 minutes on the treadmill makes me feel tired I've been so lazy for so long.
>>
>>42281159
It's possible to become that weak after cutting?

>>42281129
And the whole reason I started this thread was because I know nothing of routines. And I find it hard to stick to one once I start it. Right now I'm thinking I just need to get my ass started on something, and figure out a routine sometime down the road.
>>
File: 1376116348168.jpg (57KB, 351x480px) Image search: [Google]
1376116348168.jpg
57KB, 351x480px
>>42280955
Hijacking this thread to ask a stupid question since there isn't a general dumb question thread on /fit/

If I'm just starting out and want to start off with what the sticky recommends, but dont have access to a bar, what do I do?

Do I just have to get access to a bar?
>>
>>42281304
I was dumb and wasn't lifting whatsoever, just doing cardio.
>>
>>42281038
Read the fucking sticky you dumb cunt. I appreciate your desire to grab a hold of yourself and get fit, but that shit is designed to put you on track, but you're "pretty sure it doesn't go as far in detail"
Yes it does, in the routine subsection

Also, don't ask for advice of this kind of this board. Start by looking up lectures on healthy eating and basics of exercise - or you'll fuck yourself up before you know it
>>
>>42281374
If I had to choose between bar and dumbell, I'd go with DB because of versatility and the lack of necessity for shit like power cages n squat racks

You ain't gonna go powerlift in your first 2 months anyway, which does require a bar
>>
>>42281409
Thanks. Information is king I suppose especially when you're fucking around with your body.
>>
>>42281431
I have access to dumbbells and am completely fine with it if I can still do what is recommended

I just dont know, for example, if say dumbbell squats/goblin squats will do what is needed for the routine

Also I had a bad experience years ago with dumbbell squats where I injured my shoulder and had no idea how it happened
>>
>>42281458
Check out the stuck on Reddit/fitness, too. Look up any terms you don't know and don't be afraid to ask questions. They have a "stupid questions" thread thrice weekly. It was really helpful to me when I first started.

Setting a realistic goal will be helpful, too. Like "by 1/1 I want to be X lbs/kgs," and find a plan that puts you on track to meet that goal.
>>
>>42281458
Of course lad, thank you for taking care
I've seen too many people injure themselves because they take some anon's authority as primary instead of his physio's

>>42281463
If your shoulder isn't fully healed, you should check its mobility by taking a test at a kinetotherapy clinic or something of the sort. Usually people that don't exercise often attempting moderate/heavy exercise which requires strict form do not warm up their bodies enough.

Also, dumbells require you to pay more attention to technique, as you're focusing on balancing two separate objects in your hands, rather than one large object. That in no way is a disadvantage, as it develops your motor skills as well as improve your range of motion for /most/ exercises. There are other factors which show advantages to barbells as well, but starting out - the last thing you should do is focus on strength output. Take it steady and don't forget about cardio
>>
>>42281553
Okay you've convinced me.

This was a long time ago and my shoulder was only sore for a week at most. A friend of mine told me it was because I was hold too much weight for my forearm so I was using my shoulder to carry the burden/ I wasnt flexing and straining my entire arm while holding the weight. I believed him at the time because only my left shoulder was injured and im right handed, so it made sense to me that if the weight was too much it would happen first in my left. Not sure if any of this is correct, but I will start off slow and take it from there
>>
>>42281038
it actually links programs so it tells you exactly what to do NOW GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>42280955
Go to the gym and do Strong Lifts or any other 5x5 lifting routine and don't forget cardio.

The hardest part about going to the gym is actually getting up and going to the gym.
>>
>>42281277
>So basically since I'm starting out I should probably do a bit of both, but lean towards heavier weights, I assume?
No, you should read the sticky and do Starting Strength or Greyskull LP. These are both tried and tested beginner routines that help build up your total strength.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.