[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/OWG/ - Olympic Weightlifting General A thread for the disc

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 13

/OWG/ - Olympic Weightlifting General

A thread for the discussion of the sport of weightlifting and all things related. Keep the insults and shitposting to a minimum.

>America on the rise edition

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
http://www.chinfl.blogspot co.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
http://www.reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mjgz5nmcikhhvnu/28iq3URWUW

>helpful blog on some technique quirks:
yashathoughts.com

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists
>>
Wow. Brave move trying to get /owg/ back. But this thread will forever get less than 100 posts.

Also. Holy crap that's the first black person I saw doing weightlifting.
>>
>>40629958
There was that black Frenchman in the 69kg category in Rio, got like 8th place or some shit. I think CJ has already out-totaled that guy at the age of 16, though.
>>
File: autism.jpg (720KB, 1894x1570px) Image search: [Google]
autism.jpg
720KB, 1894x1570px
>>
the toes of my behind foot twist outward when I jerk
how do I fix this?
also, I can't jerk with my right foot forward at all
should I practise it?
>>
>>40630491
I don't think that's an issue as long as you are comfortable with your jerk form. I could be wrong
>>
>>40630529
I think they should be positioned something like this

http://www.allthingsgym.com/press-in-split-drills-and-split-jerk-foot-position/
>>
>>40630491
Practice things like press in split or push press in split etc. as a technique primer before you do your jerks to reinforce the proper footing.
>>
"Back tight" during the lift means squeeze your scapulae together the entire time?
>>
>>40631076
Uh not necessarily, there are varying opinions on shoulder rotation and whatnot in the lifts, just depends on who you ask. Did your coach tell you this?
>>
>>40631123

I don't have a coach, so I'm basically stuck with reading all these varying opinions and trying to discern what's best, unfortunately.
>>
>>40631186
Generally I like to externally rotate my shoulders in the snatch and clean because it helps me keep the bar closer. Other than that I'm not a huge fan of thinking of cues in the pull.
>>
>>40631005
thanks
should I alternate the legs too?
>>
>>40631591
are you asking whether you should develop ambidexterity in your in your jerks?
>>
Going to a comp this weekend and pretty excited. Going to open with 100kg for clean and jerk and maybe 75kg for snatch. Wish me luck goys.
>>
>>40631591
It wouldn't hurt. You could potentially develop imbalances jerking with only one leg forward, but it probably won't matter if you're accumulating enough volume with squats. You could do single leg work to counteract any imbalances, but meh.
>>
>>40631738
Good luck bro. What bodyweight are you competing at?
>>
>>40629958

this post is so bad that you actually killed this thread
>>
File: 1433087297627.png (40KB, 820x852px) Image search: [Google]
1433087297627.png
40KB, 820x852px
>>40631766
I'm a 105+ 118kg a few weeks ago but now I'm at 114. Want to go down to 94kg this year. Only been lifting with my coach for about 6 months. He thinks it's good experience for me even if my lifts suck for my bodyweight.
>>
File: ATG Backsquat 231kg x8 reps.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
ATG Backsquat 231kg x8 reps.webm
1MB, 640x360px
>>
>>40631906
Yeah, I really need to get around to competing. I weigh around 83kgs and have only hit a 104kg clean and jerk and a 65kg snatch, I feel like I'd embarrass myself at a comp, but I should just do it for the experience.
>>
>>
>>
Hello /owg/. Can you please look at my routine?

I'm biding my time until I can finally join a proper gym, where I can drop weights without killing the curlbros around the squat rack. Sometimes it's really that crowded. No cleans for now, might take six months ;_;
My aim until better times is to build a strength base for Oly stuff, and to become stronger than my brother in SQ, DL and OHP.
Routine is pretty much Candito LP, but for OHP instead of BP.

Current stats (kg):
SQ 110x5/120x3
DL 135x4/140x1
OHP 50 3x5
BP 60 3x5

LUxLUxx

L
SQ 4x6
DL 2x6
Farmer's Walk
Abs/Beach Work

U
OHP 3x6
Lat Pulldown 3x6
BP 2x8
Klokov Press 3x8-12

L
Paused SQ 6x4
Paused Snatch Grip DL 3x4
Additional Gripwork
Abzzz

U
Working on handstand pushups 3x6
Lat pulldown 3x6
Klokov Press 3x8
OHP-Lockout Training 2x8-12
>>
>>40632796
If you're looking to get better at weightlifting without being able to do the actual lifts, you should be squatting more than twice a week, and you should definitely include front squats, not just back squats. I wouldn't do an upper-lower split personally, I'd work full body 3-5 days a week, depending on how much time you have. There are still exercises that you can do and still lower the bar, like muscle snatches, that will teach you some degree of proper weightlifting technique, namely a proper first pull and keeping the bar close. You could also potentially do cleans and lower the weights.
>>
>>40632796
Also make sure you're doing clean deadlifts or pulls and not conventional powerlifting style deadlifts.
>>
>>40629600
120 kg clean & 80 snatchat 84 kg bw and 185 cm tall here.
I'm planning on getting my first pair of weightlifting shoes soon. So far I have lifted in a pair of Stan Smiths since the very beginning, but now I feel like it is time to move on. The shoes I consider are the adipowers and leistung 2s, and as I've understood the main difference is in heel height. Would the higher heel in the leistungs benefit me more? If you cant tell, how do I decide whats best for me before buying them? I probably wouldn't have to state this but getting both is not an option.
>>
File: Julia.jpg (169KB, 854x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Julia.jpg
169KB, 854x1024px
>>40632839
>>40632867
Thank you for your advice. I'll definitely reconsider and look some more into oly programming.
>>
How important is foot health in regards to ankle dorsififlexion?
I have weak feet arches (but my feet are not 100% flat) and when I stretch my ankles, I can feel my calves and achilles tendon being stiff af.
I work on my body mobility eveyday and my hip flexibility has improved so much more than my ankle flexibility. Would curing weak feet arches help with my ankle mobility?
5 months in and still cant do full, deep snatches because of mobility problems
>>
https://www.t-nation.com/training/know-your-ratios-destroy-weaknesses

Here is a helpful list of all ideal lifting ratios. Oly lifting ratios are towards the bottom of the article
>>
>>40630119

kek
>>
>>40631076

wew, no, not at all. Back should be arched, lats should be flexed. Don't even know how you would keep your scaps together in a heavy ass pull.
>>
>>40631350
>>40631186
>>40631123

Shoulders should be rolled forward (INTERNAL rotation) at the start and throughout the pull. 'Elbows out)'. Think 'gorilla arms'.
>>
File: 1489013499370-1912623981.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1489013499370-1912623981.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>40633479

I have flat feet. Is no problem.
>>
>>40633830
>>40633479

This is to say, the problem is probably not your ankle flexibility, but your hips, and possibly even your core strength. That doesn't mean stop working on dorsiflexion, but consider the whole chain and look for other sticking points.
>>
>>40633830
woah what the fuck
>>
>>40634206

Actually more like convex feet.
>>
>>40634171
You're right on the money!! My hip mobility is better but can use more work and my core strength is pathetic
>>
File: yarkin.webm (779KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
yarkin.webm
779KB, 640x640px
gay fags
>>
>>40632043
Definitely do it if you can. My coach is a 69 and he snatches 100kg and clean and jerks 125ish. I had to lift in the same session as him and I didn't feel embarrassed at all. A bunch of guys clean and jerking 140+ were all telling me I did really well and being super friendly even though all I did was hit a 98kg c&j.
>>
My cleans have stalled the fuck out at 220lbs and it feels like I generate almost no upwards force on my second pull. How do I train to fix this?

Seriously my one saving grace on cleans is that I can go ass to grass quick. I wish I could just retard strength 225lbs standing like I see some guys do.
>>
>>40632796
On first upper day do Kolokov press before overhead press.

On second upper day where you do ohp lockout training work a higher weight with fewer reps and more sets. Bands or pins, you're overloading the triceps. Heavy weight is the go to.

As someone else said, lots of squatting.
>>
How much can you Kolokov press, and how much do you weigh?

Would you consider yourself an advanced lifted?
>>
>>40632796
Also why do lockout training for OHP when you can just do push press, which is much more applicable to weightlifting?
>>
>>40631076
>>40631076
Non
Arch your back very, very tight, keep your lats in to keep the bar close to your body
If you press your scapula together you're going to have a hard time extending and pulling under
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.