[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to be a good scientist AND be fit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4

File: 1997.jpg (43KB, 336x240px) Image search: [Google]
1997.jpg
43KB, 336x240px
Is it possible to be a good scientist AND be fit?
>>
Yes.

Unless scientists don't have a few hours of free time per week.
>>
>>40628085
I fucking hate everybody in my chemistry bachelor courses. All are DYEL and think I must be stupid cuz hurr durr "unlike him I work out at the library". Still am smarter than most and never failed even one exam in my 6 semesters so far.
I know that wasn't the question but fuck me. Fit shaming is real.
>>
followup question, is it possible to be a mad scientist AND be fit
>>
>>40628093
then why is every scientist a dyel/fat
>>
>>40628085
Scientists are generally considered smart
Smart people typically make good decisions
Being healthy is an objectively good decisions
So yeah scientists should be fit or at least healthier than the average person
>>
>>40628518
Bc scientists tend to be they type thats stuck in their own head. It's the same reason they have no fashion sense or social skills they spend all day learning about microbes and reading
>>
>>40628447

it's the same as rich shaming. People will always find ways to project their envy in some way, most of the time its jealousy but other times it's irrational hate
>>
>>40628502
Of course, you won't be able to rely on your Henchmen anyway since they can't aim for shit. You need to be a big guy and get in there, OHP-ing double agents and shit.
>>
>>40628630
very good, as long as i can achieve my actual life goals of being a doctor frankensteinian geneticist and stay fit im happy.
>>
>>40628502
Nanomachines, son.
>>
>>40628447
Literally same, 6th semester chemistry too.
Except people here are fairly based and don`t hate. Where are you from, anon?
>>
>>40628085
Black Science Guy used to be fit
>>
>>40628719
Snarky Twitter "the grass" Tyson?
>>
File: tyson-wrestle.png (357KB, 629x456px) Image search: [Google]
tyson-wrestle.png
357KB, 629x456px
>>40628719
forgot pic
>>
>>40628730
that's during college, isn't it?

why didn't he stay fit after he got out?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (188KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
188KB, 1920x1080px
>>40628502
Sure
>>
>>40628746
Once you're famous you no longer need to be fit to slam ass
>>
>>40628746

He didn't stay a scientist after college either.
>>
>>40628719
Not a scientist tho
>>
>>40628447
I never understood this, I get making fun of literal gymbros but a regular workout routine and good nutrition really helps with the mental gains.
>>
>>40628447
>>40628659
>Thinking you're an actual scientist after 6 semester.
Come back when you have your PhD.
>>
>>40628795
What is your criteria to be a scientist then?
>>
>>40628447
>never failed one exam
Is this an achievement where you're from?
>>
>>40628795
Ha a PhD from Coloumbia.
>>
>>40628085
My cumulative impact factor is 150 and I'm at 1/2/3/4, i'm 30, you tell me
>>
>>40629146
What is your field, mate?

Currently studying physics and thinking of going for particle physics here
>>
>>40628085
Also my boss got a 5 million grant 2 years ago and he was a world class boulderer in the 80s. I think generally because overall capability applies to many endeavors similarly fit people should achieve higher also in the sciences, but then again lifting takes a lot of time and also cognitive energy away.
>>
>>40629163
Medicine

For physics 150 would be stellar I guess
>>
>>40629146
>Thinking cumulative impact factor is a meaningful metric

What's yr h-index faget
>>
>>40629191
9 according to google scholar.
So what about you? Do you even publish?
>>
>>40629146
How long do you spend at the gym?
Do you go everyday?
>>
My best friend is in medical school and can hardly lift because of studying

I'm doing stem at a research uni and I still have time to lift. It's all about priorities but there are special circumstances
>>
>>40629565
It works if you neglect your social life enough

>>40629550
Home gym, do PPL, 4x/wk, 45-60 minutes each session
>>
>>40628447
Nah, chemists are just cliquey from my experience. You have the super try hards that run the chem club and then there's everyone else who show up for whatever reason they have.
Or it was just my autistic self failing to relate socially to chemists of all people.
>>
File: 1487472872185.jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1487472872185.jpg
6KB, 225x225px
>college is a smart decision
>>
>>40629610

this is a good example of an underachievers who projects their envy and shortcomings on people who are superior. The mental version of a manlet
>>
>>40628093
Wildlife biologist here. This.

But there's normally a pretty big difference in attitude and culture between scientists who work in labs and scientists who work outdoors like wildlife biologists and field botanists. Lab jockeys are way more likely to get that pasty, blobby Steve Bannon look.

One guy I work with is a serious surfer. Another runs ultramarathons, rock climbs, and cross-country skis. As a whole, the outdoor science crowd is way more into healthy living and activity.
>>
>>40628085
Science doesn't take much work
t. Scientist
>>
>>40628447
All the guys in my course go gym besides a few autists. Maybe just English culture. It honestly very motivating.
>>
>>40629953
What is it that you do all day?
>>
>>40630015
Proofs
>>
>>40628958
>thinking you're an actual scientist after a PhD
Come back when you've been tenured
>>
My Erdos number is 3. Come at me.
>>
I work in a milk lab.

Farmers send us milk and I test it for quality, and disease if necessary. Have had to tell a farmer to cull his cattle before and they get pretty mad kek.
>>
>layne norton

Yes, it's very possible.
>>
>>40628533
>scientists typically make good decisions
HA HA HA
[spoiler]t. physics grad student[/spoiler]
>>
>>40630510
That he's a scientist or that science doesn't need much work ?
>>
>>40631698
that science doesn't need much work
>>
>>40631705
I see. Well it's kind of meaningless if he doesn't say what he does, and even then once you're there and doing your job from day to day unless you hit a wall it doesn't feel hard because most of the work you had to put to get there is behind you.
>>
>>40628085
>Chriss Duffin
>>
>>40630506
What I Do All Day:
>Get up about 5 AM (or earlier)
>Eat massive breakfast
>Go do whatever survey/data collection I'm scheduled to do for the day
>This normally involves several hours of hiking off-trail and scrambling over rough areas and fallen trees
>Eat lunch
>Nap
>Check over data
>Work out or run, depending on what day it is
>Shower
>Dinner
>Free time to read or fart around online
>Sleep

Winter time is boring time though. November through early April is when I do lots of writing and number crunching and paperwork and equipment repair.

>>40631627
This. People who do this are pretty smart, but the autism levels and mental health issues are absurd. There's supposedly a prominent ornithologist who regularly calls in to talk radio about UFOs, and an intern my department hired was constantly seeing and hearing things that weren't there.
>>
I'm about to finish my chem bachelor's with a 2.5 GPA. Wish me luck staying fit because my brain doesn't work good.
>>
>>40635140
what time do you go to sleep?
>>
>>40635289
10 or 11. Depends on when I have to get up.
>>
>>40635140
Any advice for somebody likely headed in your direction? I'm likely going to major in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at Umich, but don't have much of an idea of what I'd like to do beyond that. As of right now I'm headed in the direction of some type of field scientist.
>>
>>40629685
>The mental version of a manlet

A brainlet
>>
>>40628085
Is this the /fit/ dichotomy thread?

Is it possible to be /fit/ and a good jazz musician?
>>
>>40630675
GOMAD the profession
>>
I'm in graduate school right now for my master's. Should I go for my PhD? Will I lose all my gains? (not that I really had any in the first place)
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.