[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /fit/ I'm tired of being a piece of shit, failing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

File: Seal.png (388KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
Seal.png
388KB, 450x450px
Alright /fit/ I'm tired of being a piece of shit, failing at everything I try, I want to be good at something.

I want to be a Navy Seal, I'm 6ft 180pounds, started working out recently.
- 20 pushups/situps in a single sitting
- 15 minutes to run about a mile (running two every other day)
- can do like 2/3rds a pullup (cause I'm pathetic)
- not quite sure how fast I swim but I know it isn't to fast

How long would it reasonably take me to get into shape, and perhaps some suggestions as to how I would.
>>
>fails at everything he does
>wants to join an elite group

Lol why do you even try
>>
>>35196013
How did you manage to miss the sticky?
Seriously, there is a raptor running back and forth, how can you just not fucking click it?
>>
Look bro, take the ASVAB or another military aptitude test before thinking about what you want to do in the services, you might not even have the mental fortitude for a Navy Seal, or you might score high enough that there's better positions available. Explore your options, I scored 92 in advance but being a neet untrusting of the gov decided to pass despite recruiters efforts
>>
You have to run a lot more than a mile every other day bro, also get good at swimming.
>>
>>35196013
6ft 180lbs doesn't tell us much on a board that's made up of weightlifters and fatties
>>
File: 1435427727805.gif (2MB, 215x177px) Image search: [Google]
1435427727805.gif
2MB, 215x177px
>>35196013
Are you shitting me?

You don't up and decide you want to try for the SEALs because you're tired of being a piece of shit. The right guy joins with the mentality of wanting to be apart of something greater than himself and wanting to die before he quits.

Here, let me spoon feed you some good info: http://www.stewsmith.com/linkpages/BUDSwarningorder.htm

Read this. If you care enough about joining, this will be your new sticky.
>>
I know you're joking, but I would love to see a couch potato with those stats laughed out of a recruiting office.
>>
File: 1449246474806.jpg (387KB, 1500x1051px) Image search: [Google]
1449246474806.jpg
387KB, 1500x1051px
when you can run a mile under 6 minutes then try out for seals.
>>
File: 1449440563478.jpg (41KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
1449440563478.jpg
41KB, 550x512px
>>35196013
>can do like 2/3rds a pullup (cause I'm pathetic)
>not quite sure how fast I swim but I know it isn't to fast

lmao, just enlist in the marine corps or something, they'll get your weak ass up to speed in boot camp

people who attempt to enter the EALS are already physically fit, and willing to put in 2-3 years of non stop training in order to attempt to make it through BUD/S
>>
>>35196013
Hey OP, don't know if this will help, but 3 months ago (September) I was 95kg at 170 cm's tall (5'7 in American, I think?).

Anyway, after 3 months of training 4-5 days a week I lost 17 kg's and this is how I improved:

I went from 15 mins to running a mile to 7:30 to do it. I went from doing like, 10 pushups in a row to about 40-50 (I never tried to do more than this), I can do about 15-20 pullups in a row (can't do more because my hands are all fucked up from digging my yard) and I can swin pretty fast.

So, if you really want to, in 3-4 months you can enter easily. About staying, well, that's harder from what I gather.
>>
File: 1449267786413.jpg (726KB, 1537x1917px) Image search: [Google]
1449267786413.jpg
726KB, 1537x1917px
>>35196013
you need 25 pull ups, 120 push ups, and 90 sit ups to even be decent. Your mile needs to be under 6 minutes
No. You wont make it. Its that simple. Maybe after 5 years of super hard training, but you wont do that. You will go one week, burn out, rationalize your failure, and pick something else.

How about this:
Your goal is 30 push ups,. 30 sit ups, and a 10 minute mile. 1 pull up.
Do that. Go to competent human being before navy seal
And dont even come here with that devgru shit
>>
>>35197599
Are 6 minute miles that common? I'm sweating my ass of attempting to get my time under 7 minutes and the livestrong site says that 6:39 puts you in the top 1% for my age group (27) and 8:18 is the average. The Navy Seal thingy says that you should a mile and half in 11 minutes - so, is it really that common?
>>
>>35196682
I'd rather fight next to a guy that keeps trying in the face of constant defeat than a fucker that never tries.
>>
>>35197636
It's pretty rare since most people don't run, but it's not impossible. You just have to work at running.
>>
>>35197691
a guy that keeps trying in the face of constant defeat: seals

a fucker that never tries: op
>>
>>35197721
Sounded to me like he was trying.
>>
File: 303214698.jpg (67KB, 512x365px) Image search: [Google]
303214698.jpg
67KB, 512x365px
Get the book "breaking buds", read it and then most likely fail. Your stats are worthless but it's not hard to improve. People don't become navy seals because they can do a lot of pushups, that's just what (might) get you in the door.
>>
>>35197735
You're not trying if it takes you 15 minutes to travel 1 mile.
>>
>>35197772
If he's fat then he could be just as winded as a fit guy at a 7min mile. I would know, I've been both of those fags. Running a mile when I first started and was fat as shit was way harder than running when I was in better shape, even though I was still pushing myself as hard as I could go.
>>
Protip from someone who's been there: Join the army with a special forces or ranger contract instead. No matter what you do, you will probably fail (what they don't tell you is that for every one person who DORs out of training there are two more who are dropped against their will for medical reasons or injuries), but if you join the army and fail out of SF selection you can still do kickass stuff as a grunt, whereas in the navy you will fail out of BUDS and then be stuck on a ship for 4 years fixing airconditioners with a bunch of faggots.

Seriously, if you want to actually fight and do cool stuff, join the army.
>>
>>35197840
This guy is right. Saw plenty of buds drops doing dumb shit for 6 years cause they washed out.
>>
>>35197825
>I'm 6ft 180pounds

Doesn't sound very fat to me.

A healthy person should be able to walk a mile in 15 minutes. If it takes you 15 minutes to "run" a mile, you're not putting in any effort at all. It's like Chris-chan claiming that standing up to play Guitar Hero is exercising.
>>
You don't even have what it takes to be in the regular military.

Good news is that you can stop being a piece of shit now and get in shape. Then in a few years when you're ready you can join whatever you want. You have until you're 31 or something to join. Just pretend you're already in and train like a seal.
>>
>>35197840
>for every one person who DORs out of training there are two more who are dropped against their will for medical reasons or injuries

Source?
>>
>>35197636
That's bullshit
Look up seal PST calculator
A 5 minute mile won't put you in the top 1%
>>
>>35197914
His ass. Most people DOR but every fucking DOR says that it was medical lol. "Oh, I hurt muh leg, but I'm gonna try again in a few years." Sure you are bud.

>>35197927
If you can do a 5 min mile then you are fucking fine. You sit in Great Lakes for a few months training in pre/BUDs anyhow.
>>
>>35197636
Actually it's down to 10:30 is the bare minimum for 1.5 mile and you don't want to be able to achieve just barely minimum standards on things. The instructors and mentors will tear you apart if you're down for just barely making it by. It pays to be a winner is the motto, you have to compete to be the best.
>>
>>35197907
I joined up to do it in 09, was a great candidate, class leader, but was dropped for a meaningless medical condition they discovered I had. Luckily, they ended up separating me out of the navy entirely, but there was a couple weeks of terror I thought I was gonna be sent to the fleet as a seaman undes like most others.

Yes, there are alot of people who mentally DOR but ride out on a medical discharge, but there are seriously lots and lots of sterling candidates who get dropped for reasons totally beyond their control.

And the one thing I can tell you is work on your running. No one fails the swims, or the o-course, or for not doing enough pushups, but there area always a handful of guys that just can't make the run times no matter how hard they try. Don't worry about getting your 1 mile time down to 5 minutes, instead, focus on getting your 4 mile run down to 7 min/mile or better.

But seriously, join the army. There's really no reason not to and you have alot to lose if you really want to fight.
>>
>>35197947
>His ass. Most people DOR but every fucking DOR says that it was medical lol. "Oh, I hurt muh leg, but I'm gonna try again in a few years." Sure you are bud.

I thought so. I've watched a lot of military programs and there's only ever a handful of guys out of a hundred that are actually removed from the class because of injures or illness.
>>
>>35198069
Not exactly, it's more that the threshold of injury required to be removed tends to be quite high. So say you sprain your ankle or your lower back starts giving you grief you might not get removed so it's up to the individual to decide whether to accept the risk of the injury being aggravated.
>>
>>35198110
Then they voluntarily quit. They are not removed against their own will. I'm glad we cleared this up.
>>
>>35198069
>>35198110
It's also that small injuries turn into big ones quickly and without remorse. You shin splints will turn into full blown stress fractures, your cold with turn into pneumonia, your cellulitis will turn into necrotizing fascilitis.

Anyways, you can either believe what you see on TV, or what people who have been there will tell you. Go ask on /k/ or someone else if you don't believe me. Everyone has that mentality of 'it'll never happen to me', but the odds are against you, and when it does you probably don't want to be stuck feeding geese on the SS Minnow.

Just my two cents, I support anyone looking for adventure and purpose to join up and do something cool, but if could do it all over again I would join have joined the army.

Or, join Navy EOD.
>>
>>35198069
>>35198148
gtfo armchair admiral
>>
I've been listening to some seals lately, specifically Jocko Willnick. That shit seems hardcore as fuck if you're a fucking pussy today then you're like 2-3 years out from being a contender for BUDS.

If I were you, I'd start doing martial arts, BJJ + Muay Thai for example, just to cultivate discipline. Do test if you want, just don't overdo it so your system gets fucked.

Good luck with your quest and all, it's just going to take a lot of discipline you have to cultivate first before even attempting it.
>>
>>35198046
If you drop for med do they give you another chance?

I think SF you can try sfas again in a year if you medically drop with a non chronic condition.
>>
>>35198206
I think the limit is 3 tries. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting more than that.
>>
>>35198238
Then why not just try it? The reality is that they are looking for that never quit quality. Even if you fail to meet the standards, someone who never quits will train and come back better.

I'm not advising op to do the above though, train to a certain standard, then try.
>>
>>35198206
Depends on the condition and your prior performance.

But usually, you have to do a deployment with the fleet before you can reapply, usually takes a year or two. Most people who are dropped don't come back and make it though, cus their injury likely won't heal 100% and will pop up again since you'll only be older, or because they get too comfortable in the fleet and lose their momentum.

Yes, its the same thing as with SFAS I believe. The difference is, if you wash out of SFAS you can still go do kickass stuff as a grunt, go to sniper or air assault school, then apply again if you want.
>>
>>35196013
Join the Navy or Air Force, get a job that has carryover into the private sector, get out, get a real job
>>
>>35198292
>Most people who are dropped don't come back and make it though

Dick Couch says the same thing in his book. The guys that quit once will most likely quit again.
>>
>>35198292
The army does have a lot more options.

I'm looking into airborne right now as a stepping stone into SF. Yeah i know it's not required, but right now I'm stuck around a ton of fellow signal guys who are content in riding out their 20 years. It's so depressing.
>>
File: tort.webm (2MB, 640x361px) Image search: [Google]
tort.webm
2MB, 640x361px
would you be able to resist torture if captured by the enemy tho?
>>
>>35197599
> tfw can do 114 sit ups, 6:43 mile, 35x8 weighted pull ups but only 21 push ups
>>
>>35197764
bump, unreal book

As for op, fitness is only a cushion. In the end its 90% mental
>>
I take it once you fail buds the Navy tells you where your next job is like chipping paint or swabbing the admiral's poop deck?
>>
>>35196013
Before you get too carried away, stop measuring your strength in bullshit like pushups. Pushups don't mean shit.

I went from 10 to 100 in a few months while remaining the same piece of shit skinnyfat twerp that I always was. But I also happened to be able to do 100 pushups.
>>
>>35198176

But that's entirely the point of those programs, pushing through the worst of shit. My recruiter tried out for SWCC, said he got to a point where there was so much sand in his shorts while running that his legs and whole groin area was extremely chafed. The skin was virtually completely peeled off and everything felt like it was having a blowtorch taken to it.

Except that's what everyone was feeling. The normal guys (like my recruiter) threw in the towel, not wanting to risk further injury or complication. The guys who wanted to make it stopped for a second to try and shake some sand out of their shorts, then kept fucking running.

Guys who really want to stay in will be allowed to stay in, especially with BUD/S. They hardly medically separate anyone from the program, there's a separate barracks for recovery from injury, the only way to leave BUD/S nowadays is voluntarily. You could break your hip, the Navy will give you a new one and still tell you you can stay, endure months of intolerable bullshit inspections and upper body workouts, and give it all another shot when you're healed.

They're trying to find guys who are willing to put everything on the line for this. They want the guys who would risk being paralyzed forever after falling from an obstacle just for a shot at becoming a SEAL or SWCC. That's how bad you have to want it to get through the pipeline.
>>
>>35199308
Yes. And you don't get any of the cool jobs like CT, ATC, or corpsman or anything either, as those slots are filled up with recruits who have contracts. They usually give you the option of 2 or 3 shit jobs like boatswains mate or machinsts mate, if you're lucky, or seaman undes if you are not.
>>
>>35199518
> They hardly medically separate anyone from the program, there's a separate barracks for recovery from injury, the only way to leave BUD/S nowadays is voluntarily. You could break your hip, the Navy will give you a new one and still tell you you can stay

This is simply not true. While you can get rolled or be a SCRUFT, it all depends on how bad you are hurt and whether or not it is worth it FINANCIALLY for the navy. Every recruit and wanna be seal loves to think about the navy as one giant brotherhood just waiting with open arms for the pure of heart, but they aren't going to pay you to sit around coronado for six months recovering from pneumonia when they can make you a yeoman and put you to work for a year. Likewise, the specwar DMOs aren't going to give you a waiver for anything or bother clearing you, because there are 10 other recruits waiting to take your space who don't have stress fractures/rotator cuff damage/slightly worse vision. And the regular navy fuckin loves the seal program cus it they get all the stellar recruits who don't make the cut.

Anyways, yes everyone has to push through bullshit, but saying that no one ever gets dropped for medical reasons is a flat out lie. People do get dropped all the time for reasons beyond their control. I just think OP and anyone else interested should be aware of this very real possibility before they get stuck spending six years chipping paint.

And I'm not saying don't go out to kick ass in the military either, I'm just saying do it in the army.
>>
File: 6effad_5732645.jpg (466KB, 1964x1200px) Image search: [Google]
6effad_5732645.jpg
466KB, 1964x1200px
I'm going to the SEAL PSTs to snag a SEAL contract before I ship out May 9th as a Corpsman. Once I do get one, do I get sent to the fleet doing a shitty job with shitty people if I get rolled back for medical reasons? Or am I able to keep my Corpsman job?
>>
>>35199828
On mobile, so I didn't word that so well.

What I'm asking is that if I get dropped n BUD/S for a medical reason, am I able to keep the Corpsman job I originally had or nah?
>>
>>35199828
Once you get a seal contract it superceeds your original rating agreement. You will ship as a seaman undesignated and technically will be until you complete SQT and get your trident. If you DOR or are dropped, you will be the same as any other seaman undes and will have to take whatever job they give you, probably not seaman. At least this is how it was done in when I went through in 09.

You could always go through corpsman training and go greenside, basically be a marine, and try out for MARSOC or buds later.
>>
>>35199870
That probably seems like a better route: going greenside. The completion rate for 19 year old kids like me is fairly low anyhow. As long as I go special ops in any branch, I can die happy.

I'm afraid though that if I just up and decided to stop going to the SEAL PSTs for going the route suggested I would piss off a lot of people, including my recruiter and NSW mentor. I think I'll go balls to the wall and stick through with it.
>>
>>35199828
You'll stay a corpsman. They spent a lot of money training you to be a corpsman.

You should know that your command probably won't let you try for BUD/S for years. Your command doesn't care about the needs of NSW. They'll keep you as long as they can.
>>
>>35199956
Just do what's best for you and don't worry about pissing anyone off. Recruiters and SEAL mentors don't give a fuck about you anyways.
>>35199964
This would be true if he completes training as a corpsman first, then volunteers for BUDS after. If he is in DEP with a corpsman contract, then gets a SEAL contract, then >>35199870 applies and he will lose his corpsman slot and instead ship with a slot to go straight to buds.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.