[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it normal that I can only do high bar squats? The bar doesn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: images (12).jpg (26KB, 400x289px) Image search: [Google]
images (12).jpg
26KB, 400x289px
Is it normal that I can only do high bar squats? The bar doesn't rest on my rear delts for low bar squats and it feels like the bar will fall off my back
What do? Who else /highbarsquats/ here?
>>
>>35178189
Isn't the left picture wrong? You're not supposed to squat like this I believe, correct posture is rigght.
>>
>>35178205
both left and right are fine. left is highbar/oly squats and right is lowbar
>>
the bar position is not intuitive like with high bar so that's normal

I don't have the ankle flexibility to do highbar
>>
>>35178205
>>35178228
Right is just plain wrong. It's a squat morning, the bar is tracking over his toes.
>>
>>35178228
You what?
Lowbar still maintains weight over mid foot. Not toes, as in right shot.

And
>>35178189
If you had rear delts...
And if you put the bar in the correct position...
>>
>>35178189
I've been squatting wrong all along. Fuck my lack of flexibility.
>>
>>35178263
Right pic is what my struggle reps look like tbhh familia
>>
Which one activates the glutes/hams more? High bar or low bar? Because what I've been told is that low bar does, but I used to do low bar and I have crazy underdeveloped glutes and hams. Now that I'm being extra strict on my form and doing high bar my glutes and hams feel like they're getting worked more.

Is my form still off or am I retarded? Or both?
>>
>>35178285
Op here
So how do beginners do low squats like in ss? I've read that it's easier to progress using low bar squats because more weight can be moved.
How do I learn these? I've tried watching videos of Omar, buff dudes etc. and trying it out in the gym but I can't balance the bar
>>
Long legs but hit higher number comfortably with high bar. Low bar stalled pretty low.
>>
>>35178351
you were probably doing good mornings thinking they were low bar and now you're doing proper low bar and thinking it's high bar
>>
>>35178354
Try doing high bar, honestly the difference between the two isn't that great of a deal unless you're gonna compete in a powerlifting meet within 12 weeks. Do whatever you can do, I kept trying to force high bar but form was fucked, but low bar came naturally
>>
>>35178354
watch rippetoe's videos. in short:

use a thumbless grip.

raise your elbows at the top to maintain tightness in deltoids and upper back. lower them as you go down and your tilt forward.

use a relatively close grip but make sure it doesn't impede your ability to raise your elbows. don't use an extra wide grip like you see equipped powerlifters using.

bend the bar over your back to engage lats

don't look straight ahead

hope this helps, but desu high squats are fine.
>>
>>35178263
squat morninging has nothing to do with the bar being over your toes but your ass rising before your chest. these two things can happen separately
>>35178351
what you feel is not an accurate indicator of anything. ive changed from lowbar to highbar and vice versa a few times and every time i do, i feel like im hitting some "new" musculature. no matter which style i change to.

lowbar generally has more hip rom and less knee rom so it works the musculature working at the hip (glutes and hamstrings, mostly) more, but sometimes you might be able to get some more hip rom in highbar. but lwobar having less knee rom means the hamstrings can work better.
>>
i don't have nearly enough hamstring , hip or ankle flexibility to do high bar squats.

i'm really not even that big and low bar squats have never been a problem for me in terms of bar position. OP, read SS; the section on bar position is excellent and taught me a whole lot i hadn't known before. its about sitting the bar on the back of your delts, raising your chest, keeping your head neutral and RAISING YOUR ELBOWS! this will provide cushioning and a shallower slope for the bar to slide down. take as wide a grip as you need to get your elbows high enough (and seek to reduce this width as your shoulders gain flexibility).
>>
File: pic related.jpg (17KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
pic related.jpg
17KB, 320x320px
>>35178354
highbar squatting master-race reporting in.

dude fuck lowbar, all the sick squatters do highbar.

>Clarence Kennedy
>Damien Pezzuti
>KraftsportNO
>Girthbrooks6 on instagram
>Klokov

Seriously, what is more alpha than deep ass 600 pound fucking highbar squat?
>>
High bar squat master race

low bar is only for powershitters who do hard bulk and squatmornings for months and wonder why their legs are tiny but their asses are getting huge.
>>
>>35179258
if you can do lowbar then hamstring or "hip" flexibility are not a problem in highbar.
>>
Does /fit/ have any advice for stopping squatmornings? I've noticed that I'm starting to do them towards the ends of sets.
I also sometimes bring my knees more under my body as I go back up. I know this is wrong.
>>
>>35179478
Get stronger glutes and lower back
>>
>>35178354
read the book
>>
>>35178506
100% this

>>35179079
lol. Recipe for doing a good morning. Learn to squat from people who can actually squat
>>
>>35179478
Its actually a weekness in your quads, you glutes are stronger/still fresh so your body try to move the weight the easiest way
>>
>>35179258
Raising your elbows is a great cue for losing all lat tension, going into thoracic hyperextension, and performing a squat morning :^)

>>35179478
Get stronger QUADS. Everyone thinks it's glutes and back but it's your quads not being strong enough that forces the glutes to take the load in the first place

Also make sure you're not squatting like a retard (rippetard)
>>
>>35178506
what's the difference?
>>
Haven't read other responses, mainly because people at /fit/ are 90% retarded and sometimes get lucky.

It is most likely one or both of the following:

1. Your technique sucks. You have no upper back and can't rest the bar on your back, which is why it falls off.

2. You have a very squatt:y build (long torso, short femurs, long shins). People with that kind of build sometimes have a very hard time trying to squat low bar as they naturally have a very upright position in the squat which makes the bar fall off.
That being said, most people like that CAN squat low bar, but they usually don't, as it doesn't fit their leverages.
>>
>>35179513
>>35179510
Is the best way to change this to just get stronger? I'm doing relatively low weight with Starting Strength still (185 pounds).
I was doing low bar until I realized it was fucking with my arms and compacting my wrists/elbows because I wasn't flexible enough for proper hand position.
>>
>>35179478
as said, quads are the culprit but id like to note that if often feels like youre morninging way more than what you actually are. besides, there isnt really anything wrong with morninging the last reps as long as your back stays tight and the bar over midfoot.
>>35179513
give me upboats i lift 1234 already and ive heard cool people say rippetoe is shit so im gonna spout the same shit: the post

raising your elbows flexes your thoracic spine since it basically elongates the pecs and delts. the opposite movement of raising your elbows (shoulder flexion) would create thoracic extension.

>>35179572
chances are youre just not doing the hand position correctly but if you cant do it despite watching the videos and shit just do highbar and add some RDLs on the friday workout when u dont DL
>>
File: F9R8UQEHRNQ7EFQ.MEDIUM.jpg (47KB, 464x604px) Image search: [Google]
F9R8UQEHRNQ7EFQ.MEDIUM.jpg
47KB, 464x604px
http://m.instructables.com/id/Performing-Proper-Deep-Squats/
>>
>>35179714
>values a belt over weightlifting shoes and doesnt even care if its a 20$ or 200$ belt
DYEL
>>
>>35179746
I know..... i couldn't even get past the opening line
>>
Beginner with the same problem, so a bit of a rant :) Started with 5x5 program. Went lowbar since both SS and 5x5 talked a lot about it.

Strugled at lot with form, both were to place the bar and placement of elbows, vertical or more up backwards to give more shelf, wich gave me elbow pains. All in all, not worth it for me.

Went with highbar, and got progression, started with 40 kgs in september, on 90 now. Highbar goes on your hams, upper tighs? more than low bar, main thing seems to me to get the depth right, else your knees will start to feel it. So mobility is key, I work daily with shoulder excersies useing a light (pink) rubber band and have no problems there now.

Next year Ill start on dynamic warmups for my hips/groin area, since I cheat on max reps.
My plan is focusing on low bar when I start to max around 130-150 kgs, since it can give you higher max, but as a starter highbar seems just fine.
>>
>>35179793
>:)

Get out.
>>
>>35178354
I started with front squats because I didn't find high bar or low bar squat comfortable. After a while I learned high bar then low bar. For me low bar also helped with high bar. I occasionally practise form with a broom handle at home. For high bar I found it a bit difficult at first to place the bar correctly on traps. Same with low bar had to get used to it. I'm not an expert but hope that helps.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.