[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Barbell at Home

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 13

File: heavier.png (313KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
heavier.png
313KB, 1200x675px
Guys, you've convinced me that dumbbells aren't enough and that I should get my ass into barbell lifting, SS and all.

Now, a gym membership in the nearest gym would cost around 2000 dollars for a year (in American units), so I figure I'm better off buying the damn equipment myself for a fraction of that price and have all I need at home. I reckon it would cost less than 2000 units.

I've seen benches at 70 euros; is it possible to have quality at such a price?

What do I really need?

Does it matter what barbell I get as long as it's 20 kilos itself and is compatible with my DB weights? I assume it's mostly all the same since it isn't required to do much beyond not break.

I live in an apartment, should I get something so I don't smash the floor? Are you required to somewhat drop the stuff in some exercises or will I always be able to land them softly? Even so, some protection is needed, I assume. What do you recommend?

Any suggestion about what to get, or what brand I should trust?

Discuss: home gym.
>>
>>35171273

Are you on the bottom floor of an apartment?

If not, once you get up to a respectable weight, and can't set it down lightly, your neighbors are going to fucking hate you.
>>
>>35171273
If I wanted humor, I'd look up your one rep maxes
>>
>>35171296

I got two floors in my apartment and intend to lift upstairs, so I doubt they'd hear much of anything.

>>35171305

You wouldn't laugh because I don't even have any. I've literally never lifted a BB in my entire life. Been training with DB and some full body routine for over 7 months now; I feel ready to tackle a BB (without weight, at least).
>>
The quality of the barbell really depends on what kind of lifting you're looking to do. If you're going to just squat, bench, deadlift, and row, it's not SUPER important, as long as it can tolerate a decent amount of weight. If you're going to do more dynamic lifts like cleans (which are part of SS), snatches, etc., you may want a 28ish mm olympic bar, which you can get for a couple of hundred bucks in the US. Rogue, Muscle Driver, Strength Shop, Again Faster, etc. all make good barbells.
>>
All i have is a pair of squat stands, a bench and a barbell. Make sure the barbell you get will take 2" plates if you're planning on getting an oly bar, which you should be, seeing as how you're doing ss. That's pretty much all you need.

As for your floor it wont matter at 60kg or so, but when you start deadlifting 120+ you want to look into getting either some gym mats, some old carpet doubled up or even some horse mats.

When you're looking at equipment make sure its rated to a decent weight, i'd go for a minimum of 160kg.

All in all its going to set you back no more than 300 dollars, brand wise its personal choice, my bench and barbell are both dirt standard but they're both over 3 years old and have never given me any problems at all.
>>
>>35171364

Being an absolute nab, I don't know, but I'd rather spend money from the start than have to later on.

Do they generally all weight 20 kilos?
>>
>>35171383
>but when you start deadlifting 120+

Right now, this seems highly surreal, but a man should dream. Good ideas on deadeners though, carpets and gym mats. Thanks.

>When you're looking at equipment make sure its rated to a decent weight, i'd go for a minimum of 160kg.

Noted.

>All in all its going to set you back no more than 300 dollars

Fucking sweet. Thanks, man!
>>
>>35171396
>inb4 amerifat

No. I've seen "Olympic bars" that weigh 30 lbs even less than that. Be sure it weighs 20kilos/~45 lbs
>>
>>35171463
>Be sure it weighs 20kilos/~45 lbs

Noted. Do you guys really add 2 kilos each new session? That sounds like a tonload.
>>
>>35171423
Main advice I can say is don't buy weight plates for more than $.50/lb since they are just ripping you off past that. Not sure what that translates to in kg though
>>
>>35171423
If you get a squat cage instead of a squat rack (you absolutely should if you plan on lifting alone, cage is the safest way to squat and bench alone) your total will be closer to 500 dollars. Investing in a rack is a waste because realistically you will have to switch to a cage eventually.
>>
>>35171489
If you eat enough that's easy ESPECIALLY at noob gains
>>
OP you need a power rack
A barbell
A bunch of 20 kg plates
And a pair of 10, 5, 2,5, 1,25 and lighter plates each.

Also a bench yeah

You need an oly barbell with rotating ends if you plan to do oly lifts (clean/snatch/any variation thereof), otherwise just get whatever as long as it's compatible with weights.

You need microplates - light-ass plates, the less they weight the better - they'll let you progress faster, especially on upper body lifts.

You need a power rack because if you fail a rep of bench or squat you will be able to just dump the barbell on the safety rails.
>>
>>35171523

About .25 a kilo. That's extremely cheap though. Pretty sure my DB weights cost me more than that.
>>
>>35171527
>If you get a squat cage instead of a squat rack (you absolutely should if you plan on lifting alone, cage is the safest way to squat and bench alone)

That's exactly what I wanted to know, forgot to ask. I'll get a cage, then.

Guys, post some pictures of this stuff, because I only have a vague idea of what it looks like.

>Investing in a rack is a waste because realistically you will have to switch to a cage eventually.

Why exactly? (I'm going to do that, but I'm curious.)
>>
>>35171529

I'm 176cm for 75 kilos. Am I an absolute nab?
>>
>>35171530
>You need a power rack

Is that like a the cage?

>rack
>power rack
>cage
>>
Bumping for answers.
>>
Post some good cages and benches and whatever options I should look out for.

Those with handles for pullups really interest me because my doorframes can't accommodate contraptions for pullups.
>>
Gonna watch some tutorials on SS liftan, if you know any good videos about it, send'em my way. I know of Rippetoe and all but I never see him do anything himself and the fact that he recommends eating 6000kcal a day makes me skeptical of his nutrion plan.

Can I lift barefoot?
>>
>>35171396
Nope. They *should* weigh 20kg but you get all kinds of shit passed off as "Olympic" standard. In reality, what you want is a 7' bar weighing 20kg that takes plates with a 2" diameter hole.
>>
>>35171886
>weighing 20kg that takes plates with a 2" diameter hole.

>2 inches

So like 6cm ?

I'll measure my DB's' girth to be sure.

>And a pair of 10, 5, 2,5, 1,25 and lighter plates each.

Is this a good shopping list? I'll probably not start with buying the big ones. Pretty sure I'll spend 2 weeks with just the bar, if not longer.
>>
>>35171963
All Olympic or powerlifting plates should be 2" diameter. The alternative is 1" diameter which is just for those shitty DYEL sets marketed to housewives and kids. Steer well clear of those.
>>
File: 1413306370851.gif (373KB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
1413306370851.gif
373KB, 720x400px
>tfw you're about to acquire a BB
>like a worm aspiring to be a dragon

Even though I did DB shit for months and months, this is intimidating (in a cool way, because I'm still going to do it).
>>
>>35172001
I used to only hav DB and it was like Christmas when I got my BB.
>>
American here, what sort of prices would I be looking at to get a barbell, a power cage, and weights at a used sports supply store like a play it again sports?
>>
File: 19.png (25KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
19.png
25KB, 236x236px
>>35172000

Good to know, based trips.

>>35172024

I haven't felt this excited since I was a kid waiting for some vidya on Christmas, to be honest.

/fit/ness is giving me so much, I didn't think this was even possible.

>no longer scared of aging because I know I'll look better in 5 years, rather than just older and saggier

Thanks, guys.

BB sounds like serious business is about to happen. I hope my many months of DB training were a good groundwork for the next step.
>>
>>35172041

Other burger said around 500 bucks. 300 if you don't take the cage. Second hand, it's probably cheaper and I'm sure there are countless fucks who buy this shit not knowing what to do with it and quit weeks later, if they ever started.
>>
>>35172046
Just pick a beginners program, like SS or SL, and stick to it
>>
>>35172078

I picked SS.

Before that, I wrote up complicated routines with shitloads of DB exercises. I wanted a full body work out so I took a bunch of varied exercises and did them in rounds, and I varied as I went. A lot of effort for little results, though I still got stronger and beefier and exchanged some fat for muscle, especially in the back.

What's the main difference between starting strength and strong lift? They seem very similar from what I saw.
>>
>>35172127
They are very similar. I prefer SL because I can't do the oly lifts with my equipment, and it has an amazing android app to track your progress and know what to do next. It even times your rests so you know when it's time to lift next. But there's no real difference between them in terms of effectiveness
>>
>>35172127
SS is much better. The revised one, not the 0.5 one that keeps getting reposted.
>>
>>35172159

I might take this too because I don't feel comfortable, so far, with doing cleans and snatches and whatnot.

>>35172185

Link?
>>
File: 20151208_024406.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151208_024406.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>35171273
That's all you need.
>>
>>35172327

Seems kinda small in there
>>
>>35172341
Only half of the room
>>
>>35172327

>fukken saved
>allineed.jpg
>>
I'm watching Buff Dudes tutorials on all the SL/SS exercises. Their stuff seems about right in terms of what I ought to know.

I'm anal about form, so that should work in my favour.
>>
https://youtu.be/tFzx5WIjzd4

>/fit/ begins
>>
https://youtu.be/rT7DgCr-3pg

Bench pressing. I'm watching videos by several people, and several times over. Until I feel like I know what to do. Going well.

Much of that stuff makes sense with exercises I've already done a lot: angle for bench pressing is the same as for pushups, etc.

I'm excited, bros.
>>
>>35171273

Where do you live?
>>
>>35172668

>sticking your chest out

Won't that fuck up your spine eventually?
>>
>>35172706

Switzerland.
>>
>>35172751

He doesn't advise doing it, he's just saying that's why some people say "it must touch your chest", and that's because the way they do it, they easily touch it. He advises only a slight bend, enough for your forearm to go through but no more, and no ass taking off.
>>
>>35172809

Maybe it's just me, but when he stuck out his chest it looked like more than just a "slight bend"
>>
>>35172824

He shows how they do it.
>>
>>35172876

Well, you'd think people would actually care for proper form.
>>
Guys, the price of equipment here is insane.

>4 disks of 5 kilos
>over 50 dollars

>cage, over 500 dollars

Is this normal?

>>35172888

He does, he's just showing how THEY (the ebins powerlifters on TV, trying to break a record rather than maintain proper form) do it.
>>
https://youtu.be/7HRqB30lxmo

Pretty cool intro to Rip.
>>
>>35172799

https://www.strengthshop.ch/

Get the bastard bar

https://www.strengthshop.ch/bars-hantelstangen/olympische-bastard-langhantel-20-kg-mit-zentraler-randelung.html

Power Rack

https://www.strengthshop.ch/strength-equipment-sport-kraftgeraete/power-racks/power-rack-cage.html

A pair of cast iron 20's, 15's, 10's, 5's, 2.5's and 1.25's (1s, 0.5s and 0.25s if you want to make meaningful OHP progress).

That's a pretty damn good start for a home gym. If there's one thing you should NOT save money on, it's a barbell. Go cheaper on the rack and weights if you want, but DO NOT get a cheap barbell. They suck dick and you will end up wanting a better one. The one I linked is a very good barbell for the price.
>>
File: Marcy Diamond.jpg (256KB, 2658x2403px) Image search: [Google]
Marcy Diamond.jpg
256KB, 2658x2403px
>>35172327

Wanting to start my own gym.

Everyone is saying a cage is best, but I was wondering if I could get away with a rack if I know for a fact someone will be able to spot me?

Is something like pic related just flat out retarded?

I know all I need is a bar, couple dumbs, a bench and a cage, but my roommate is willing to split half on me on EVERYTHING if I get pic related. When she inevitably moves out in a couple of years, she said I'd be able to keep everything since her family is pretty wealthy and she'll eventually just buy her own set up when she gets her own place.
>>
>>35173028
I live in Portugal, do you think you could do the same for me, Anon?

Already own the barbell, dumbells and 50kg of weights.
>>
File: 1362782540361.gif (1MB, 330x248px) Image search: [Google]
1362782540361.gif
1MB, 330x248px
>>35173028
>https://www.strengthshop.ch/

>mfw this post
>>
>>35173028

That bar is 200 pounds. That's massively expensive. Which bastard bar exactly?

I really appreciate your having taken the time, though. I'm about to save your post in notepad for further reference.

Thanks.
>>
>>35173063

A spotter can be unsafe unless that person is strong enough to grab and lift whatever you are lifting. I don't know how strong you or your friend is, and this is a risk/benefit analysis you just got to make yourself. Will you die without a cage? Probably not. Will you be as safe without a cage? No.
>>
>>35173028
>That's a pretty damn good start for a home gym. If there's one thing you should NOT save money on, it's a barbell. Go cheaper on the rack and weights if you want, but DO NOT get a cheap barbell. They suck dick and you will end up wanting a better one. The one I linked is a very good barbell for the price.

Wrote it all down. Massive thanks, friend.

It's more expensive than I expected, quite the investment, but still cheaper than a year at a gym.
>>
>>35173095

>massively expensive

Sorry bud, £200 is like minimum spend if you want a half decent barbell. Anything less than £100-150 is gonna be made of shitty chinese hot rolled steel that will permanently bend as soon as you load a decent amount of weight on it. That probably won't be the only bad thing about it either.

An expensive, top range barbell is £800-1000. A very good barbell is £400-700. A solid, decent barbell is like £250-350.
>>
>>35173107

I'm going to be real here since there's no reason for me to hide it.

I'm a fucking dyel skeleton prince of manlets 5'9 143lbs. I sincerely doubt that she's going to have a problem spotting the weight I'll be doing, which is essentially what a fucking complete noob would be doing.

Back in high school when I was 16 or 17, my Dad took me to the gym every week and, with his help, I was able to bench 90 lbs + the bar (at that time, pretty much my body weight), which by this boards standards is like a complete fucking joke, but that was probably the strongest I ever was in my life. Unfortunately, he passed on not too long after that. I stopped going because the gym reminded me of him and went on with my life.

That was 10 years ago. Now I want to get fit again because I found some stuff of his while cleaning up the old place, particularly some notes he wrote about how proud he was of watching me progress that fucking killed me inside. I want to make my old man proud. I used to be in complete awe when I saw him benching 270 + the bar. Don't know if I'll ever get there since he was 6'2 and lifting all his life, but god damn it, I'm going to try, and to do that, I need to start.

Roomie saw I was researching workout benches, which is when she chimed in on wanting to split half.
>>
>>35173157

Understood. I'll probably end up getting all you said.

I can't read German, though; does the cage have pullups and dips?
>>
>>35173250

In that case a bench might be good enough for a while, although when you have made all kinds of gains you should consider upgrading to a cage. Just don't be the asshole who crushes his windpipe and dies alone in his homegym.
>>
>>35173250
>I sincerely doubt that she's going to have a problem spotting the weight I'll be doing,

Nab myself but if the bar alone is 20 kilos, I wouldn't trust a girl to save me.
>>
>>35173301

Are you not the swiss guy? Where are you from?
>>
File: 1376320657057.gif (1022KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
1376320657057.gif
1022KB, 350x350px
>>35173250
>Unfortunately, he passed on not too long after that. I stopped going because the gym reminded me of him and went on with my life.

Welp, made me cry manly tears. Legit.
>>
>>35173142
You can get a top quality Rogue power bar for only 250 bucks

Don't let these gypsies spook you into dropping a grand on something
>>
File: 1376692030191.gif (2MB, 360x236px) Image search: [Google]
1376692030191.gif
2MB, 360x236px
>>35173250
>That was 10 years ago. Now I want to get fit again because I found some stuff of his while cleaning up the old place, particularly some notes he wrote about how proud he was of watching me progress that fucking killed me inside.

Fucking hell, the emotional ride never ends.
>>
>>35173250
I've been lifting a year and I bench 3pl8 so don't sweat the progress

It's all a matter of who gets in the gym and stays there
>>
File: anon who lifts for his father.png (85KB, 1310x476px) Image search: [Google]
anon who lifts for his father.png
85KB, 1310x476px
>>35173250

Save it, everyone. I want to follow the progress of anon who lifts for his old man, so we can all be proud of him some day.

Fuck's sake, man, you've rustled my emotional jimmies so bad I'll ALSO lift for your old man when I get my barbell.
>>
>>35173340

>bucks

Rogue is a lot cheaper in the US. EVERYTHING is a lot cheaper in the US. An Ohio bar is $282 in the US. It's $400 in Europe.
>>
>>35173377
>lifting for someone else's dad who you don't even know and never met
>>
>>35173324

I am, but we don't all speak German. I'm a French-speaker. Romandie for the win!
>>
>>35173409

Neither do I, I just right click > translate the page to english.

It has a pull up bar and attachable dip handles, yes.
>>
>>35173396

That's the beauty of it. My dad never taught me to be strong or to lift. It's like praying, but fitness style.

You don't need to know someone to do good things to them (not that my lifting for anyone will do anything, but I'll do it anyway because I'm touched by this story).
>>
>>35173307
>>35173313

Heh, thanks.

If anything, the headlines are going to be
"Woman traumatized after watching roommate crush himself with barbell while trying to assist him. Police baffled as to why man confided in a 100 lb petite asian girl to spot for him".

But yeah, just in case, I'll start setting aside for a cage in the mean time so that when I'm ready to upgrade, I'll have the cash. At that time I'll just craigslist the old set up for cheap and just invest in a standard bench.

>>35173336
>>35173353
>>35173360
>>35173377

Thanks. Didn't mean to turn this into a feels fest. Just do what you need to do for whatever reason you want to do it.
>>
>>35173431

I'll do that. That's what I thought. Nice.

>that tingling feeling that I will know Christmas as an adult for the first time
>>
>>35173447
>Thanks. Didn't mean to turn this into a feels fest. Just do what you need to do for whatever reason you want to do it.

Don't worry, it motivates me. Now I'm lifting for serious business. Gimme your first name bro, or a nickname I'll recognise you with.

>I'm Nick
>>
Personally I'm scared to death of bench pressing alone, If I was to do at home I would either get a power cage or just do dumbbell press for the time being.
>>
My woman is starting fitness too: should she try SS/SL as well?

Rip says his oldest client is 91, so I guess it'd work for a young lady too. Opinions?
>>
>>35173505

Think of it this way: you only lift what you can control, if you can control the weight, then it is no more dangerous than doing pushups. There's literally no reason why you'd suddenly drop and smash your face into the ground. Same with BB, no reason to drop it.

That's just my guess about it though, but I have the same fear, hence getting a cage.

>Anon, what the fuck is this?
>This? It's for sex, I tie my bitch up in there and fuck her every angle
>Oh, cool
>anorite
>>
>>35173482

I'm not much of a poster, just happened to see the thread that is definitely relevant to me. You'll probably never see me post again, but I'll remember it.

Good luck to you all. Hopefully we can all make it.

>Mike
>>
>>35173026
looooooooooooooooooooooool why does anyone think this is a smart and respectable guy
>>
>>35173574
Personally I didn't care about him until I read the SS book and I found it really insightful
>>
`Why not`

Everything he says makes sense to me.
>>
Two important things:

>the diet industry intends to sell their shit more than to make you lose weight; in reality, calories in/calories out is virtually all you need to actually lose weight easily

>the fitness industry is mostly bullshit with more and more complicated machines which defeat the purpose since the more they do, the less you do

I SEE THROUGH THE BULLSHIT NOW.
>>
I've done some measurements, I'm not sure my roof is high enough for the cage, argh. I live under a roof.

>cage must now stand in living room
>guests are over
>Anon, what the fuck is this?
>it's my fuck cage, sit on the bench, ama show you
>ANON, WHAT ARE YOU DOING
>>
>>35173574

You should ask:

Lon Kilgore, Mike Tuchscherer, Jim Wendler, Justin Lascek, Ed Coan, Mike Burgener, Glenn Pendlay, Tommy Suggs, Kirk Karwoski, Dan John or any one of Rippetoe's PHD coaches whether they think he is smart and respectable.
>>
>>35173250
Dem fucking feels man
>>
>>35173718

BTFO
T
F
OFTB
>>
File: 1301075615047.jpg (50KB, 575x480px) Image search: [Google]
1301075615047.jpg
50KB, 575x480px
>>35173733

>MFW
>>
>>35173377
I'm gonna lift so I can pass it to my son one day
>>
>>35173777

>trips of legendary truth

I want to be a strong motherfucker so I can be a shining example too.
>>
>>35173777
>>35173788

Holy shat.
>>
File: c'mere.gif (916KB, 300x194px) Image search: [Google]
c'mere.gif
916KB, 300x194px
Swiss anon must leave this thread for bed. I work tomorrow.

Anon who lifts for dad, I have you on my mind and you will hear from me on this board again, I guarantee it.

See you around, brother.

>love you, no homo
>>
>>35171423
If you're eating right you'll be deadlifting 120 in a matter of months. That first jump from 60-120 happens super fast.
>>
File: 1350056862677.jpg (351KB, 1202x1109px) Image search: [Google]
1350056862677.jpg
351KB, 1202x1109px
>>35173777
The only reason I lift. For my unborn son.
>tfw no son
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.