[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to start going to the bym, but...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

File: woj music.jpg (44KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
woj music.jpg
44KB, 500x375px
How did you start going to the gym? I have no friends and can't pay for a personal trainer. How am I supposed to know that I'm doing things right? Isn't it weird when someone just lifts the empty bar?
>>
Your mediocrity is the only weird thing I see here. Grow some balls, lift just the bar.
>>
>>35169868
guides online/youtube
>>
>>35169868
If you've never really lifted, what you do in the first couple months barely matters. Do anything, just go. That's the important part. You'll figure it out.
>>
>>35169868
Bodybuilding dot com. Everything from diets and supplements to work out routines and exercise tutorials. Also, you could use the machines at your gym to help you learn form before moving to free weights. Pay attention to the motion and what muscles are being targeted, incorporate that into free weights once you get comfortable
>>
READ THE FUCKING STICKY
>>
>>35169868
I went first time today, started with a bar and increased weight each set to see how far can I go. However, I noticed its true that nobody cares what youre doing. Sometimes you look at somebody, sometimes they look at you, but in the end I dont think anybody gets off on seeing a guy lifting low weight.
>>
>>35169868

You need to figure out your goals and shit brah
Do you want Aesthetics?
Do you want to get stronk as fuck?

Once you figure out what you want to do, you will figure out what routine to go for and what path you want to head down.

Also. Read the fucking sticky.
>>
>>35169946
literally nobody cares. the only thing I judge is when I see people bechhing 80 lbs and even then I'll just try to assume their stretching or something.

>>35169954

also bassically that^
>>
Holy shit, how pathetic can you be to not even lift a heavy thing from the fucking floor without spilling spaghetti everywhere, fucking pathetic retard, just kill yourself already
>>
>>35169911
>Bodybuilding dot com
lol no please leave
>>
>>35169927

This, you retard. This board's entire existence is due to people like you.
>>
File: 1449150664715.png (196KB, 485x409px) Image search: [Google]
1449150664715.png
196KB, 485x409px
Well.
I started this way.

I picked a beginner's routine on the net, went to the gym. And did all body parts in one workout.
I tried to do as much exercices and machines I could and I put on a corner of my memory, the ones where I had a good sensation.
With really light weights of course.

Then the next session I started the real workout by picking my favourite exercices while keeping compound exercices (Bench/ Squatt/ Deadlift even if I didn't deadlift right away. It took me some months to start deadlifting).

Do a split instead of a full body workout. It's better when you begin.
Chest/ Biceps
Back/ triceps
Legs/ Shoulders

Eat big if you're skinny, eat clean if you're fat. Supplement are big help if you don't know jack shit about keeping an eye on your macros.

Mmmh that's all I have to say for the moment. Yeah and most important thing. If I could tell two things about my past self:
- Sleep/ Food/ Training: You can't build a nice body if you neglect just one of these things
- Forms before weights. Don't hesitate one second to ask for advice to the guys of your gym.

Good luck anon, we're all gonna make it.

+ Take a picture of your body right now. That's another thing I regret cause I made some nice gainz but I have no way to remember my initial body. Wich would be a good motivation to keep going.
>>
With legs and money. If the gym is far, you may want a car or something.
>>
You're right, you would probably just make a fool out of yourself anyway.

Why don't you just give up?
>>
> Isn't it weird when someone just lifts the empty bar

We all started there. What makes the difference is who are the people that kept training.
>>
>>35170446
o-ok. i'll do that. thanks, anon.
>>
>>35169868
Yes its fucking stupid lifting just the bar.
There will be bullies and they will laugh at you.
You will go once or twice then quit.
People will hate you for hogging the squat rack for your puny lifts.
>>
>>35170382
Its better than this place
>>
>go work out
>feel good that i worked out
>go again to get that feeling
>3 weeks later
>see that im getting slightly bigger
>motivation triples
>repeat

All you have to do is start senpai
Were all gonna make it
>>
go by yourself you fool. it's what i did when i first started, there's no reason to be scared
>>
>>35169868

read the sticky, there is all the info you need. follow the full body routine for a few weeks and then you might consider changing for something else.

If you lack motivation, watch some Japanese anime like Naruto or DBZ.
>>
How much does a personal trainer cost anyway?
>>
>>35169868
Got daydrunk after gf broke up with me and signed up for a membership. almost a year later I still have a mild drinking problem but made some gains.
>>
Just go you fucking sad cunt. Find a routine, watch YouTube videos on the exercises and fucking do it. Also read the sticky
>>
>>35171331
I know them feels breh
>>
>5'11 145lb Skelly
>Went to the gym for the first time today
>Doing SL 5X5
>Start with Rows
>didnt want to look like the fuckboy doing it with just the bar
>80lbs barbell
>worst form of all time
>Black dudes cant believe some kid is even here being this terrible
>cant do squat or benchpress do to crippling embarrassment
>bullshit sperg exercises for 10 mins later
>leave so ashamed go back home to nap it off
>mfw all this is going on
tl;dr failed hard today but im going back tomorrow to do the all 3 SL exercises with just the bar without feeling judged.

Just do it OP nothing ventured nothing gained
>>
>>35169868
What kind of ghetto gyms are you going to where they don't offer a free induction?
>>
Just go to the gym faggot the hardest part is stepping in the gym and also read the sticky
>>
>>35169868
The hard part is making a habit of going to the gym, everybody can go a day or two in a row, not everybody can beat the DOMS and make time to go everyday.

Anyway, just do the machines for a week to get a hang of going and know where things are, then do SS or something.
>>
>>35170326
>tfw can't bench 80 pounds
I-I'm just stretching I swear.
>>
asking for a friend:

doing SL 5x5 with solely the bar for bench and squat, will people laugh?
>>
>>35169868

Are you a man OP? Because you sound like a little bitch.
>>
what if my trainer says i should do machines, when i actually want to do SL?
>>
>>35171122

A lot of them give first sessions for free, sometimes more. The price highly depends on the gym, and the Internet tends to give better advice anyway. Only thing a PT is good for is checking your form, imo.
>>
>>35173035
>>35172994
>>
>>35169868
>>35172953
They won't laugh. Doing empty bars is the smartest thing you can do in the gym.

I see people doing them all the time in my gym and I still do empty bars to warmup on some of my lifts.
>>
>>35173081
so, if the trainer from the free sessions says
>do machines
i should tell him
>i wanna do SL with empty bar
?
>>
>>35172994
>>35173042
Then they're stupid. This is why I say most PTs suck. You're better off reading the sticky, watching a bunch of videos about form online, and then do SL/SS or some similar derivative. Try explaining to them that you have a program you want to do, and just need their advice. If they don't listen, don't waste your time. A lot of PTs are just sales reps for their gym, and the routines they give are just bullshit that one of he higher ups came up with.

>>35172953
Starting with the bar is not a bad thing. Your primary goal in beginner programs is to learn proper form and adapt your CNS to weight loading, plus taking advantage of noob gains. It doesn't matter what weight you start with, just as long as you're learning properly. That's what's important.
>>
>>35173089
Trainers are generally super helpful and kind. Some of them will have strict ideas about what they want to do. Pretty much all of them will know what Starting Strength is. I'd be clear from the get-go, say "I'm Anon and I'm starting a Starting Strength program".

Another thing to keep in mind is that some of Rippetoe's exercises are subtly different to other schools of thought. What your trainer considers a squat may not be the same as Rippetoe's squat.
Be sure to watch his YouTube videos, they're all really useful.

Also, do you have the book? You really should read it in order to do the program properly.
>>
>>35173173
>>35173192
thanks guys

i downloaded the SL app.
>>
>>35172202
Noone cares if you're weak! We all started somewhere.
>>
>>35173192
>Pretty much all of them will know what Starting Strength is.
non american trainers wont though
>german dude here
>>
>>35173216
Maybe not, they do where I live. I'm not American but we do speak English so maybe it's a language barrier.
>>
Look for people doing the lifts you are doing and if they look like the friendly sort, ask for advice.

If I saw someone lifting just the bar I would either:
Not care
Or
Ask if he needed form advice or anything
>>
>personal trainer

k anon first we're going to do some meme-ups followed by holding a medicine ball while balancing on an exercise ball.

It's going to strengthen your CORE
>>
>>35173236
>Ask if he needed form advice or anything
also depends on the country i guess
>>35173235
yeah
>>
File: zyzz_feel.jpg (30KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
zyzz_feel.jpg
30KB, 480x360px
Watch some Zyzz vids before you head out there brah. Avoid going during peak hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_cgcMPa2s4
>>
>>35172202
Niggers are subhuman, don't pay them any mind.
They were probably laughing at your form anyways.
>>
>>35173210
this. Nobody fucking cares. People just wanna lift, not make fun of some feget.
>>
File: zyzzhug.jpg (39KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
zyzzhug.jpg
39KB, 1280x720px
Before I signed up at the gym, I picked out a routine online and then looked for videos of how to do the exercises. Scott Herman on YouTube explains how to perform the exercises correctly. I then practiced in my garage using only a pair of dumbells, a barbell, and a bench. I then was able to do all the exercises (except the ones I couldn't do due to lack of equipment) on my own. I then signed up for the gym and everything went well because I walked in that door with a plan that I'm already accustomed to.

May the force of Zyzz be within you brah.
>>
>>35173210
>>35173294
>>35173280
Thanks brahs, gonna get there soon as it opens tomorrow to use the bar. Gonna study form till then
>>
>>35170663
What gym do you lift at? I want to come do curls in your squat rack.
>>
I went to the gym and squatted the bar. 6 weeks later I could 1pl8. Don't underestimate noob gains brah. You will shock yourself with how much you can lift in a few months
>>
>>35172202
>>35172953
>>35172994
>>35173199

Stick with it. I'm 1 month into SL. Noob gains are real. When I started I tried to do a squat with just the bar and bombed out. Fell right on my ass in front of a moderately crowded gym (granted, I'm on dialysis and anaemic). Last week I hit 1pl8 squat 5x5 for the first time. It's a good feeling to work hard at it and see progress.
>>
>>35172994
they tell the newbies to use the machines so you dont clutter up the freeweights where their buddies hang out. fuck em
>>
File: Goku-Kaio-ken.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Goku-Kaio-ken.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>35169868
literally no one cares if you're lifting an empty bar.
Everyone is there to do their own things and the only thing they are going to judge you on is how much time you're using the equipment for when it's busy.
Just go. Do the machines at first if you're too self conscious, but get in the habit of going and at least doing something.
And don't pay for a personal trainer. They are so expensive (I'm talking like upwards of $200 a month at most legitimate gyms) and all they do is plan your workouts for you and yell at you to do one more rep. You can easily manage without one if you are willing to put in a little effort researching and planning your own routines/ diet.
If you are not sure about how things work, just ask someone who looks like they know what they're doing. Explain that you're new to working out and just ask how them if they have any advice. Chances are they will be more than willing to take a second to help you.
If you don't want to talk to anyone then watch videos of how to do your desired exercises on youtube before you attempt it.
But basically, just go to the gym, put on your headphones, and focus on yourself.

You can do it, man.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.