[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are bench presses any different than pushups?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: the_werewolf_by_niconoff-d59dlra.jpg (230KB, 1200x682px) Image search: [Google]
the_werewolf_by_niconoff-d59dlra.jpg
230KB, 1200x682px
Are bench presses any different than pushups?
>>
you can add weight
>>
>>35167674
pushups are a much better exercise...

except unless you have a weighted vest or a training partner you can't add weight properly, making the bench press a much more practical exercise overall.

not to mention bench press is much easier to progressively overload.

i myself prefer pushups with band for that there serratus gains and shoulder health. all my barbell pressing is overhead.
>>
>>35167817
Post a pic of your physique.
>>
has anybody tried pushups with chains?
is it practical?
>>
File: tumblr_mddy3xTmpA1qakxjwo1_500.jpg (68KB, 490x690px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mddy3xTmpA1qakxjwo1_500.jpg
68KB, 490x690px
>>35167824
no. this is lu xioajun though, his pressing exercises are overhead press and triceps dips.

his only chest exercise are pushups, and he only does them as accessory. if you focused on them you could build a good looking chest.
>>
>>35167930
just use bands or ask someone to put plates on your back.
>>
>>35167932
He also happens to be on a fuckton of gear so maybe that has something to do with his physique.
>>
>>35167932
they do 4 to 5 body building exercise at the end of each of their training session so he probably does bench. i think in a hookgrip interview Oleg Chen a 69kg lifer benches something like 120kg.
>>
>>35167932
No mention of the all the chemicals in his body... You are a delusional idiot
>>
>>35167985
the chinese do a bunch of bodybuilding stuff
i don't know of all of them, but there isn't a single recorded video or any person talking about lu xiaojun bench pressing, ever. there's plenty of talk of all his other assistance exercises though, videos too.

if he benched, we'd know by now.

see this article too:
http://www.strengtheory.com/band-resisted-pushups-bench-press-for-strength-gains-plus-how-useful-is-emg/#axzz3kLBbZpbZ

pushups are fine.
>>
File: fuck offf.png (12KB, 554x329px) Image search: [Google]
fuck offf.png
12KB, 554x329px
>>35168005
if you think push-ups are inferior to bench press in pec development you're a fucking retard.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24983847
get rekt bitch

>The EMG differences between bench press and pushups were negligible for both the pec major and anterior deltoid.

see full write up:
>>35168008
>>
>>35168008
>Finally, and most importantly from an application standpoint, if you want to generally improve your upper body strength, or you’re training someone for a sport other than powerlifting, band-resisted pushups can get someone stronger effectively (more effectively than however these study participants had been training for the past year or more, at least!). Since they allow the scapulae to move through their normal range of motion (instead of being pinned to the bench) as well, I’d argue that heavy band-resisted pushups (along with other exercises that let your scapulae move freely like push press, dips, and landmine press) will probably improve performance more than bench press will. Just my 2 cents.

Damn. Gotta get me some bands.
>>
So if I start doing like 100 push ups a day will I see my bench press rise? So far I've been at a plateau
>>
File: rpe-flow-chart.png (35KB, 658x500px) Image search: [Google]
rpe-flow-chart.png
35KB, 658x500px
>>35168083
100? add resistance and make it harder.

as long as the sets are around RPE8~10 you should see some gains.

if you don't have bands try putting books in a bag and wearing the bag, or try doing pushups explosively.

if the sets are easy, you're just wasting time.
>>
>>35168083
personal experience is yes. add some weighted pushups too.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.